ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Class/Professor at Pitt

This guy was a short guy with a salt and pepper beard with glasses.. I had him for a Saturday AM class.
Sounds about right, liked mountain hiking. I had him for an early US history course and a course on the history of US labor. But I’m pretty sure he also taught a class on Pittsburgh.

There was also this journalism class I had - The professor was in a wheelchair- I’m terrible with non-sports related names from college- We used to read the Post Gazette in class. Brian O’Neill was a writer we would read and analyze.

I was a GSPIA student so no one will have any idea what I'm talking about but only athlete in any of my classes was Pat Cavanaugh.

I was a Poly Science major that graduated in 1972.

Don,t remember my professors. maybe a Reading? a Harris or Beck? I remember one class on Latin America and 3 on Russia/Eastern Europe. Maybe one on Constitutional Law?

What did Donaldson teach?
Yep, Harris and Beck were both EXCELLENT profs. I got my Bachelor's in Polk Sci in 77 and my Masters in 79.

Reactions: gary2
Don’t remember. The professor or the subject, but one professor sought and did change a number of classes from days and in the classroom to nights at his home. (Claimed he had schedule conflicts)

Did not like that, never attended those nights (2 or 3).

That was during my lost sophomore year.

Last edited:
Don’t remember. The professor or the subject, but one professor sought and did change a number of classes from days and in the classroom to nights at his home. (Claimed he had schedule conflicts)

Did not like that, never attended those nights (2 or 3).

That was during my lost sophomore year.
Another story from my lost sophomore year:

I was taking Urban Geography. I expected it to be more of a narrative or discussion class. It turned out to be heavily math and statistics.

The only requirement was a final paper, the topic to be discussed with the professor about halfway through the class.

i quit attending after a bit. When I met to discuss the topic of the paper. (Incredibly) The professor recognized I had not been attending. He was not going to allow me to write a paper, was going to fail me on the spot.

I first told him the class turned out to be different than I expected. Didn’t sway him a bit.

Next tried the Catholic boys school not handling all this freedom bit, no luck.

In desperation, I said the truth is you are boring. Must have touched a nerve. He let me back in.

He made my paper 50%. larger in length and insisted I attend ever remaining class and sit in the first row.

I agreed and completed both tasks. Received a B. It probably would have been an A had I only attended class.

Oh to be young and immature again. (Particularly Young).

Last edited:
Reactions: HOF Coach
Professor Searle in English had an all-time quote. The class was Literary Realism. (I think)

We were discussing Poe and The Fall of the House of Usher. Talking about the relationship between the brother and sister maybe being sexual, he says,” Do you think he had a problem getting it up?” Silence in the room followed by AND I QUOTE, “I don’t like talking about incest because I have two really attractive sisters.”

Wow. The women in the room looked like someone poured cold water on them. I didn’t say a thing til I left class and laughed with my buddy. That’s an all-timer.

Last edited:
I don’t remember the professor, but I had a public speaking class in the Cathedral with Sean Miller, Jason Matthews, and Darell Porter.
THAT was FUN!
My only class that was full of athletes was an Acting class that I took for some arts elective (plus my gf at the time needed an elective as well and we thought it was fun to take it together). It was in the basement of the Cathedral. Sean Gilbert, Mark Gunn, Chris McNeal and Brian Shorter. Mark Gunn was clearly the most serious student of the 4 of them. And a really nice guy overall. Sean and Chris attended every class and were generally good guys, but you could tell they weren't that into it. Brian Shorter was by far the least serious student though. He rarely came to class, which was crazy for a class that was almost totally graded on class attendance, and this was NOT during the time he had that terrible illness that pretty much cost him a season. After not seeing him for about a month and 1/2, he shows up on one of the last days of class, when he was scheduled to perform his final scene, which was from A Soldiers Story. He was totally unprepared and ended up just reading from the script. I felt bad for his partner (who was randomly assigned), who clearly prepared for this without Brian. Total train wreck. I'm sure Brian passed, but he totally should have failed. :)

My only class that was full of athletes was an Acting class that I took for some arts elective (plus my gf at the time needed an elective as well and we thought it was fun to take it together). It was in the basement of the Cathedral. Sean Gilbert, Mark Gunn, Chris McNeal and Brian Shorter. Mark Gunn was clearly the most serious student of the 4 of them. And a really nice guy overall. Sean and Chris attended every class and were generally good guys, but you could tell they weren't that into it. Brian Shorter was by far the least serious student though. He rarely came to class, which was crazy for a class that was almost totally graded on class attendance, and this was NOT during the time he had that terrible illness that pretty much cost him a season. After not seeing him for about a month and 1/2, he shows up on one of the last days of class, when he was scheduled to perform his final scene, which was from A Soldiers Story. He was totally unprepared and ended up just reading from the script. I felt bad for his partner (who was randomly assigned), who clearly prepared for this without Brian. Total train wreck. I'm sure Brian passed, but he totally should have failed. :)
I took that class too and it was also in the basement of the Cathedral. My partner was a football player (reserve lineman) named Dave. I can’t remember his last name. We partnered with another pair that included Tony Siragusa. Dave and Tony were there all of the time and both were very cool. They certainly made the class fun.

Since we are on this topic, here is a thought experiment. Go through your Pitt transcripts semester by semester, and see if you can remember every class, the instructor and at least one student. I found myself just about completely forgetting a couple of classes.

OK, I am not that old, and I literally cant remember more than like 3 teachers names off the top of my head now. Remembering full out classes is not happening.

I can tell you the girls (again not their names) that we flirted together with in most classes, but not the teachers names. Wow now that I am really trying to think of it its even worse, I think I can only name one, Professor Holder, and that is only because he turned me down for a grant and I was utterly pissed off. I can see my professors faces well, but gosh no names. I should probably get me noggin checked

Favorite teacher and one of my favorite classes at Pitt was Mary Jane Kleinosky who taught Engineering 13 (Statics/Dynamics). MJ was a grad student working on her Masters in Civil Engineering. Although she was young, she did a great job explaining things and making sure that all of her students were on board. She was so down to earth and approachable. Sadly, she just passed this summer.

Dr. Bishop. Transport Phenomena. Chemical Engineering. Not favorite because it was fun but because it was an amazing social experiment. Each test was a 200 point exam. Negative points given on multiple choice and True or False. Never in my two terms of each level was the average score above 50. If you received a 70 or above on the first test you could coast the rest of the term and get a curved A. People literally got negative scores taking the test so they were further behind after taking it than had they just skipped it. The irony is that I got my first job because I stuck around after the term to wait for commencement and he had a special interview session for Union Carbide to come in and talk to kids. He also wore a toupee. As his real hair turned gray his toupee remained black and you could see the dividing line easily.
Al Bishop..a mechanical engineer by schooling I believe who worked at Westinghouse before his University work. Hardest teacher that I ever had but you have to respect the man! He was intimidating too!

Some other Al stories..

*He loved to ask questions during class to see if you were paying attention. He would call you out by your last name with a Mr. or a Miss on the front end. He would not look at you directly when he spoke with you other than when he turned his eyeballs only and gave you a sideways glance. Often all that you would see would be the white of his eyes!

*As you mentioned, just a bad toupee.

*We had one guy who was actually sleeping in his class. Let's call him Mr. Smith. Al noticed that the guy was sleeping. Al motioned for the class to be quiet. Al walked over to the guy's desk and dropped a load of books onto the desk. He woke Mr. Smith right up! Mr. Smith was scared sh!tless. Al told Mr. Smith that if he was going to sleep in his class to at least have the decency to wear dark sunglasses so Al couldn't tell whether his eyes were open or not.

*Al's tests were the hardest ever. He would pull questions off of "related" subject matter that was covered. Very few questions were based on what was covered directly in class. You always had to take a piece of what you learned and then expand on it from other classes. If you paid attention to Al's suggested reading list that he discussed at the beginning of the year, it would help you on the tests.

*At the end of the year, Al would call you in to his office and would ask you what grade you think you deserve. Never had any other teacher do that.

Al Bishop..a mechanical engineer by schooling I believe who worked at Westinghouse before his University work. Hardest teacher that I ever had but you have to respect the man! He was intimidating too!

Some other Al stories..

*He loved to ask questions during class to see if you were paying attention. He would call you out by your last name with a Mr. or a Miss on the front end. He would not look at you directly when he spoke with you other than when he turned his eyeballs only and gave you a sideways glance. Often all that you would see would be the white of his eyes!

*As you mentioned, just a bad toupee.

*We had one guy who was actually sleeping in his class. Let's call him Mr. Smith. Al noticed that the guy was sleeping. Al motioned for the class to be quiet. Al walked over to the guy's desk and dropped a load of books onto the desk. He woke Mr. Smith right up! Mr. Smith was scared sh!tless. Al told Mr. Smith that if he was going to sleep in his class to at least have the decency to wear dark sunglasses so Al couldn't tell whether his eyes were open or not.

*Al's tests were the hardest ever. He would pull questions off of "related" subject matter that was covered. Very few questions were based on what was covered directly in class. You always had to take a piece of what you learned and then expand on it from other classes. If you paid attention to Al's suggested reading list that he discussed at the beginning of the year, it would help you on the tests.

*At the end of the year, Al would call you in to his office and would ask you what grade you think you deserve. Never had any other teacher do that.
I actually borrowed a fluid flow book from my friend who went to UPJ and majored in Civil Engineering Technology. Since our tests were open book because that didn't matter you could bring any book. He put a question on the test about fluid flow in a city designed water system. The question was almost a duplicate of a problem in my buddies book and led you down the appropriate pathway. I used the procedure and changed the numbers and missed 0 on that question.

Reactions: CCHS82
hS1LVeOBoCN8p7UpUwfHt4JJTCl.jpg

Dr. Scaglion, who taught Anthropology. Really funny and a good professor.

It is still burnt into my memory....Question 1 on the multiple choice exam. What is an anthropological definition of culture? A) Learned Behavior Patterns B) a group formed by Boy George C) something that grows in a petri dish.

I might be mistaken about B) & C) (long time ago, lol). But he wanted to drill that definition in everyone's head. He would even go around during the exam saying "I think choice A would be a good answer for question 1".

It was a large lecture in David Lawrence I think, but sadly some people still got the answer wrong and that used to amaze him to no end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT