ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite guitar solo?

It is kind of funny though that the extended guitar/drum solo are relic's of the 70's rock for the most part. I think some people are confusing "guitar solo's" with "guitar riffs" but that is okay.

Interesting topic. Off the top of my head:

Echoing what many of you have said, Comfortably Numb.
11 O'Clock Tick Tock by U2.
yes as trite as it is, Stairway to Heaven, especially the version on the John Peel Sessions.
Man.....Allen Collins and Gary Rossington just going off crazy on Free Bird on those extended live versions.
Big Love by Fleetwood Mac/Lindsay Buckingham

Skynyrd always rises above the rest for me. Especially their story of working so hard to be so good. Very impressive.

This performance is high quality. Steve Gaines at 4:45 is quite fantastic.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
A few weeks back someone mentioned the solo in "Comfortably Numb"... It got me thinking..

Not the "best". Anytime we do a "best" it turns into a pissing match of subjectivity....

What are your top 5 favorite solos?

Me?

Not in any order

• Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd. Such a simple and beautiful tone. I didn't realize how much I liked that solo until someone mentioned it on here.
  • Cult of Personality - Living Color - It has always been a favorite of mine and seems to be very underappreciated when I've seen lists..
  • Achilles Last Stand - Led Zeppelin - Probably my favorite by Zep, but I loved their rendition of "In my time of dying" as well.
  • No More Tears - Ozzy Osbourne - Fairly sure this Zak Wylde performing. Really thought it was clean and the base line behind it makes it more powerful.
  • No One Like You - Scorpions - these guys were masterful musicians in a genre that didn't always produce that type of quality.
Hon Mention
  • The Day that Never Comes - Metallica - there are probably 4 solos in that song. Each are great.
  • Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits - Finger picking at it's finest.
  • Flying High Again - Ozzy - Randy Rhoades
  • Train Kept A Rollin - Aerosmith
  • Jambi - Tool
I absolutely love the guitar solo at the end ... starting around 3:55. The guitarist is Rob Buck.

This is cheating a bit because what I like best about this isn't just the guitar solo but even more the guitar harmony -- 2:38 - 3:45 Tom Scholtz and Barry Goudreau

Again ... cheating a bit, because the guitar harmonies make this so very good. But here's to Don Felder and Joe Walsh! Starting at 4:30 ...

Reactions: HOF Coach
It is kind of funny though that the extended guitar/drum solo are relic's of the 70's rock for the most part. I think some people are confusing "guitar solo's" with "guitar riffs" but that is okay.

I think Best Guitar Riff would make for a pretty good topic. There are just so many of them. Some of the most simple are the best, too.

I always find it funny that Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes) and The Kids Aren't Alright (The Offspring) have seemed to catch on so much with college bands/students.

A few weeks back someone mentioned the solo in "Comfortably Numb"... It got me thinking..

Not the "best". Anytime we do a "best" it turns into a pissing match of subjectivity....

What are your top 5 favorite solos?

Me?

Not in any order

• Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd. Such a simple and beautiful tone. I didn't realize how much I liked that solo until someone mentioned it on here.
  • Cult of Personality - Living Color - It has always been a favorite of mine and seems to be very underappreciated when I've seen lists..
  • Achilles Last Stand - Led Zeppelin - Probably my favorite by Zep, but I loved their rendition of "In my time of dying" as well.
  • No More Tears - Ozzy Osbourne - Fairly sure this Zak Wylde performing. Really thought it was clean and the base line behind it makes it more powerful.
  • No One Like You - Scorpions - these guys were masterful musicians in a genre that didn't always produce that type of quality.
Hon Mention
  • The Day that Never Comes - Metallica - there are probably 4 solos in that song. Each are great.
  • Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits - Finger picking at it's finest.
  • Flying High Again - Ozzy - Randy Rhoades
  • Train Kept A Rollin - Aerosmith
  • Jambi - Tool
Something I stumbled across one night

The legendary guitar player Jimi Hendrix was blown away by Terry Kath's guitar playing. When first hearing Terry Kath play, Jimi Hendrix was quoted as saying that he thought Terry Kath played guitar better than he did. It was later on reported that Jimi Hendrix also called Terry Kath the “Best Guitarist in the Universe.”

If you guys get a chance. Watch the Chicago concert at Tanglewood, circa 71-72. Crazy good.
This clip is from that concert....

I know this is a best guitarist post, but the drum solo by Keith Moon-on Nilsson’s Jump into the Fire outrageous.....had it blasting on my way home from golf today.....I’m 68 and I still turn it up!

Reactions: HOF Coach
This terrific Glen Campbell guitar solo caught my eye once when I was surfing YouTube.

Underrated:
Pipeline: surfer rock rules.
Hotel California
Metallica: one
Rick Ness: Ball and Chain; When the Angels Sing
billy Duffy: she sells sanctuary
Steve stevens: rebel yell
Slash: sweet child o mine
Eddie V: eruption
anything from Roy Clark, George Benson, Ottmar Liebert

Last edited:
Yeah, the '78 version of Prove it All Night from the the Darkness on the Edge of Town Tour is a good one. I got to see that version of it at Hershey Park in 2014. Most of his solos are added in concert, as opposed to being on the studio versions of the songs. I think Nils also did a really good job on the Purple Rain solo when they covered it in 2016.
There’s a bunch of YouTube videos from that your. This is a good one:

Reactions: PharMorNightStocker
Just because he is one of the original rock and rolllers...

And no list is complete without one of the innovators of the electric guitar, Les Paul himself...enjoy!

Last edited:
Reactions: JS School

I know I was often mixing guitar solos and riffs (and/or guitar parts) but what the heck, no one is keeping score I suppose.

Interesting topic. Off the top of my head:

Echoing what many of you have said, Comfortably Numb.
11 O'Clock Tick Tock by U2.
yes as trite as it is, Stairway to Heaven, especially the version on the John Peel Sessions.
Man.....Allen Collins and Gary Rossington just going off crazy on Free Bird on those extended live versions.
Big Love by Fleetwood Mac/Lindsay Buckingham
Lindsay Buckingham should likely get more credit as a top level guitarist.

Maybe should be another thread.....but are there many bands where the guys playing the instruments have a particular mastery over them than the RHCP's did when Frusciente was with them?

He’s special - but his solo album is so weird and bad I literally pulled the car over to throw it away while listening
Not an exaggeration

Jimmy Hendrix “Little Wing”. Great guitar in the middle and many other famous guitarists have done this song such as Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jeff Beck. All spectacular. It’s a top 10 in the list in my book

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT