ADVERTISEMENT

In honor of National Women's Month, your favorite Women music artists.

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
I will open this up to all genre's. Because I would suspect the answers are based on personal interests. And by favorites, don't out think it, I know some try to show how in depth or knowledgeable they are, and come up with like 20 people no one heard of. And this is not me being woke, this actually came to me driving in the hinterlands of Michigan as a PJ Harvey song came on. These are women that you liked, grew up with, think have interest but basically women artists (solo or group) who you would download their music, search You Tube or other various media outlets or......pay to go see.

Here's mine, limiting to 7-10. In no order.

1) Polly Jean Harvey. Obviously since it was her who brought this to my mind, and if yinz figured out my favorite genre, she is just awesome. Will post some video later.
2) Patti Smith. I mean she is the god chick or godmother of the whole post punk, CGBG type of music. Not the most attractive, she still exude such a sexuality and just is overly cool.
3) The Go Go's Here he goes again, picking on Green Day. Green Day is a perfectly fine band and one I like. But for them to be first ballot HOF and the Go Go's had to wait until the past year, what the?? I mean how many more influential important bands are there than the Go Go's? Plus, they were awesome.
4) Heart/Wilson Sisters. Ann with her chops, Nancy on guitar, this was the first real female fronted rock band to trump the hard rock charts.
5) Hope Sandeval (Mazzy Star). Just my crush...so sexy, great voice, but unfortunately not the biggest resume.
6) Justine Frischman (Elastica). I don't know what it is about her, she is not classically hot, but she to me was so cool, so sexy. Loved this 90's band.
7) Stevie Nicks. I mean simply the queen of female rockers. Gorgeous in the day, her husky vocals fronting one of the all time great groups.....
8) Carrie Brownstein/Slater Kinney. My god, Portlandia and other comedy troupes be damned, she is one of the great guitarists of her generation. This group just rocks.
9) Kate. Bush and Pierson. Okay, I cheated. But Kate Bush and Kate Pierson have two of the most iconic female rock voices.
10) Courtney Love/Hole. Okay, she's a wreck and annoying. But Hole really was really good.

Many others I like alot, but these are my favs.

I'm partial to:

Bonnie Raitt
Amy Winehouse
Aretha
Diana Krall
Sade
Adele

I could go on but I'll let others chime in.

I will open this up to all genre's. Because I would suspect the answers are based on personal interests. And by favorites, don't out think it, I know some try to show how in depth or knowledgeable they are, and come up with like 20 people no one heard of. And this is not me being woke, this actually came to me driving in the hinterlands of Michigan as a PJ Harvey song came on. These are women that you liked, grew up with, think have interest but basically women artists (solo or group) who you would download their music, search You Tube or other various media outlets or......pay to go see.

1) Polly Jean Harvey. Obviously since it was her who brought this to my mind, and if yinz figured out my favorite genre, she is just awesome. Will post some video later.
2) Patti Smith. I mean she is the god chick or godmother of the whole post punk, CGBG type of music. Not the most attractive, she still exude such a sexuality and just is overly cool.
3) The Go Go's Here he goes again, picking on Green Day. Green Day is a perfectly fine band and one I like. But for them to be first ballot HOF and the Go Go's had to wait until the past year, what the?? I mean how many more influential important bands are there than the Go Go's? Plus, they were awesome.
4) Heart/Wilson Sisters. Ann with her chops, Nancy on guitar, this was the first real female fronted rock band to trump the hard rock charts.
5) Hope Sandeval (Mazzy Star). Just my crush...so sexy, great voice, but unfortunately not the biggest resume.
6) Justine Frischman (Elastica). I don't know what it is about her, she is not classically hot, but she to me was so cool, so sexy. Loved this 90's band.
7) Stevie Nicks. I mean simply the queen of female rockers. Gorgeous in the day, her husky vocals fronting one of the all time great groups.....
8) Carrie Brownstein/Slater Kinney. My god, Portlandia and other comedy troupes be damned, she is one of the great guitarists of her generation. This group just rocks.
9) Kate. Bush and Pierson. Okay, I cheated. But Kate Bush and Kate Pierson have two of the most iconic female rock voices.
10) Courtney Love/Hole. Okay, she's a wreck and annoying. But Hole really was really good.

Judith Durham
Karen Carpenter
Linda Ronstadt
Roberta Flack
Heart

Grace Slick
Janis Joplin
Karen Carpenter
Janet Jackson
Stevie Nicks
Heart
Donna Summer

Last edited:
1. Fanny. They sang “Butterboy”. Supposedly about a tryst with David Bowie. Amazing song.
2. Debbie Harrie. (Sp?) One of the best.

Is it the whole month, or just a time of the month?

In my playlists regularly…

Donna Summer
Joan Armatrading
Alison Moyet (of Yaz)
Siouxie (of the Banshees)
The Bangles (Susanna Hoffs *whew*)
Roseanne Cash
Sara Evans
LeeAnn Rimes (yes she is BSC but tremendous voice)

Dolores Oriordan ( cranberries)
Stevie Nicks
Janis Joplin
Natalie Merchant

Carley Simon
Allison Krause
Anita Baker
Patsy Cline
Barbara Streisand
Whitney Houston
Debbie Harry
Cher
Gloria Estefan
Aretha Franklin
Olivia Newton John
Carole King
Christine McVie
Elaine Paige
Joni Mitchel
Linda Ronstadt
Stevie Nicks

Reactions: pittmeister

Great idea ... sorry I didn't see it sonner!

Of course, 10 is not enough for me. These are "my favorites" but not necessarily the "25 best."

25. Merril Garbu (TuneYards)
24. Hannah Joy (Middle Kids)
23. Sarah McLaughlin
22. Suzanne Vega
21. Chan Marshall (Cat Power)
20. Kate Bush
19. Carol King
18. Courtney Love
17. Cindy Wilson (over Kate P)
16. Lauryn Hill
15. Lana Del Ray
14. Patti Smith
13. Pheobe Bridgers
12. Debbie Harry
11. Polly Jean Harvey
10. Charlotte Caffery (instead of naming the whole band)
9. Neko Case
8. Joni Mitchell
7. Ani DeFranco
6. Annie Lennox
5. Tori Amos
4. Liz Phair
3. Madonna (c'mon admit it ... you like her too!)
2. Kim Deal (sorry Mr. Black, it ain't Pixies without her)
1. Chrissie Hynde (not a tough call for me!)

PJ Harvey is probably my favorite. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea is really the only album of hers I listen to straight through - and it's quite a solid album - but she has a lot of other material I cherry pick off other albums. After that, there are mostly just a bunch who have some songs I like.

A few I haven't seen mentioned:

Lucinda Williams is someone whose material I probably need to do a deeper dive into. I really dig her songs like Right in Time and Seeing Black.

Tracy Chapman's self-titled album is pretty good. I wouldn't mind giving some of her other material a listen.

I have a number of female playlists on spotify, but there are a lot of artists included in them. In this category, I'd do way better naming like 30 chicks and the songs of theirs I like.

PJ Harvey is probably my favorite. Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea is really the only album of hers I listen to straight through - and it's quite a solid album - but she has a lot of other material I cherry pick off other albums. After that, there are mostly just a bunch who have some songs I like.

Lucinda Williams is someone whose material I probably need to do a deeper dive into. I really dig her songs like Right in Time and Seeing Black.

Tracy Chapman's self-titled album is pretty good. I wouldn't mind giving some of her other material a listen.

I have a number of female playlists on spotify, but there are a lot of artists included in them. In this category, I'd do way better naming like 30 chicks and the songs of theirs I like.

I could have (should have?) included Lucinda.

I forgot Jenny Lewis who would be around #15 on my list and your mention of Tracy Chapman reminded me of Joan Armatrading who should probably be on my list as well.

I forgot Jenny Lewis who would be around #15 on my list and your mention of Tracy Chapman reminded me of Joan Armatrading who should probably be on my list as well.

But not Tracy herself?! Haha.

As a Bruce Springsteen and Steve Earle fan, I should probably see if I like Patti Scialfa and Emmylou Harris - if for no other reason than osmosis.

But not Tracy herself?! Haha.

As a Bruce Springsteen and Steve Earle fan, I should probably see if I like Patti Scialfa and Emmylou Harris - if for no other reason than osmosis.
Yeah I was thinking of Tracy Chapman also. One thing, any list like this definitely should include Joan Jett. But Joan Jett to me is like the Beatles. Respect their work, resume, influence, just. not overly my favorites.

My favorite female singer’s voice is Lauren Mayberry from Chvrches
It’s so beautiful and haunting

overall probably Fiona Apple
I think Lorde makes interesting music
Lizzo an honorable mention

Love Mayberry’s voice! And I’m with you on Lorde too.

but my all time favorite voice is Harriet Wheeler from the Sundays.

Does Marilyn Manson count?

• Haha
Reactions: Farnox
Karen Carpenter has to be the hands down winner. And no objective list can be respected without without her and Aretha and Streisand close behind.

but my personal list has to have
Tanya Donnelly, Natalie Merchant, Harriet Wheeler, Dolores O’Roidan, Sarah Mclachlan,, Hope Sandoval

Norah Jones needs to be in there somewhere too.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
Carole King
Roberta Flack
Adelle
Celene Dionne sp?
Carly Simon

In no particular order

The Wilson Sisters/Heart
Joan Jett
Lita Ford
Stevie Nicks
The Go-Gos
Lzzy Hale
Maria Brink
Lacey Sturm
Cristina Scabbia
Taylor Momsen

Karen Carpenter has to be the hands down winner. And no objective list can be respected without without her and Aretha and Streisand close behind.

Tanya Donnelly, Natalie Merchant, Harriet Wheeler, Dolores O’Roidan, Sarah Mclachlan,, Hope Sandoval

I tremendously respect Karen carpenter
But I scrolled through my favorites playlist -for mine .

Blues: Bonnie Raitt
Pop: K.D. Lang (when she was younger)
Singer songwriter: Cori Connors (it’s a Holidays song, but “Is it Snowing Tonight” is special for western PA’ers)

My son would agree … as would I.

But this list is “favorite” … not best.

I’d say Alison Krause for her work with Robert Plant. Another vote for Lucinda Williams too. Margo Timmons. Courtney Barnett. Got to include Stevie Nicks too.

Reactions: jcontrer814
I'd list co-Natalie Merchant with Mary Ramsey for 10000 Maniacs.
As a Kiwi, have to include Lorde, and add Brooke Fraser.
Also good call on Liz Phair.
Definitely Go-Gos.

I'm old school... because I'm old....

Ann Wilson
Aretha Franklin
Bananarama
Barbara Streisand
Bonnie Raitt
Carole King
Chrissie Hynde
Dionne Warwick
Donna Summer