ADVERTISEMENT

In honor of National Women's Month, your favorite Women music artists.

How about Joan Jett? The documentary about her was fabulous.

My top 3:

Liz Phair
Kim Gordon
Norah Jones
Oh yeah, she's like the God Mother. Deserves all the kudos, but like I mentioned, she is like the Beatles to me. I complete respect her impact and her resume, but just was never the biggest fan.

What's a woman? What about the other 71 genders?
I was thinking about that, these awards shows are going to be like 12 hours long when they start awarding all of the different genders that we can identify with and how they are awarded.

I will open this up to all genre's. Because I would suspect the answers are based on personal interests. And by favorites, don't out think it, I know some try to show how in depth or knowledgeable they are, and come up with like 20 people no one heard of. And this is not me being woke, this actually came to me driving in the hinterlands of Michigan as a PJ Harvey song came on. These are women that you liked, grew up with, think have interest but basically women artists (solo or group) who you would download their music, search You Tube or other various media outlets or......pay to go see.

Here's mine, limiting to 7-10. In no order.

1) Polly Jean Harvey. Obviously since it was her who brought this to my mind, and if yinz figured out my favorite genre, she is just awesome. Will post some video later.
2) Patti Smith. I mean she is the god chick or godmother of the whole post punk, CGBG type of music. Not the most attractive, she still exude such a sexuality and just is overly cool.
3) The Go Go's Here he goes again, picking on Green Day. Green Day is a perfectly fine band and one I like. But for them to be first ballot HOF and the Go Go's had to wait until the past year, what the?? I mean how many more influential important bands are there than the Go Go's? Plus, they were awesome.
4) Heart/Wilson Sisters. Ann with her chops, Nancy on guitar, this was the first real female fronted rock band to trump the hard rock charts.
5) Hope Sandeval (Mazzy Star). Just my crush...so sexy, great voice, but unfortunately not the biggest resume.
6) Justine Frischman (Elastica). I don't know what it is about her, she is not classically hot, but she to me was so cool, so sexy. Loved this 90's band.
7) Stevie Nicks. I mean simply the queen of female rockers. Gorgeous in the day, her husky vocals fronting one of the all time great groups.....
8) Carrie Brownstein/Slater Kinney. My god, Portlandia and other comedy troupes be damned, she is one of the great guitarists of her generation. This group just rocks.
9) Kate. Bush and Pierson. Okay, I cheated. But Kate Bush and Kate Pierson have two of the most iconic female rock voices.
10) Courtney Love/Hole. Okay, she's a wreck and annoying. But Hole really was really good.

Many others I like alot, but these are my favs.
Josie of the Pussycats...

Ronnie Spector
Michelle Phillips
Cass Elliott
Pattie Santos
Bessie Smith
Billie Holliday
Ella Fitzgerald

Adele
Aimee Mann
Alan is Morissette
Alicia Keyes
Aretha Franklin
Ariana Grande
Barbra Streisand
Billie Holiday
Debbie Harry
Dido
Donna Summer
Ella Fitzgerald
Earths Kitt
Edith Piaf
Gwen Stefani
Jennifer Hudson
Karen Cerpenter (My dad loved her voice best)
Kelly Clarkson (really grew on me)
Lady Gaga
Lana Dal Rey
Lauryn Hill
Lena Horne
Maria Callas
Mariah Carey
Mary J Blige
Natalie Cole
Natalie Merchant
Nina Simone
Nora Jones
Sarah Brightman
Shirley Bassey
Sia
Toni Braxton
Tori Amos
Tracy Chapman
Whitney Houston

I will open this up to all genre's. Because I would suspect the answers are based on personal interests. And by favorites, don't out think it, I know some try to show how in depth or knowledgeable they are, and come up with like 20 people no one heard of. And this is not me being woke, this actually came to me driving in the hinterlands of Michigan as a PJ Harvey song came on. These are women that you liked, grew up with, think have interest but basically women artists (solo or group) who you would download their music, search You Tube or other various media outlets or......pay to go see.

Here's mine, limiting to 7-10. In no order.

1) Polly Jean Harvey. Obviously since it was her who brought this to my mind, and if yinz figured out my favorite genre, she is just awesome. Will post some video later.
2) Patti Smith. I mean she is the god chick or godmother of the whole post punk, CGBG type of music. Not the most attractive, she still exude such a sexuality and just is overly cool.
3) The Go Go's Here he goes again, picking on Green Day. Green Day is a perfectly fine band and one I like. But for them to be first ballot HOF and the Go Go's had to wait until the past year, what the?? I mean how many more influential important bands are there than the Go Go's? Plus, they were awesome.
4) Heart/Wilson Sisters. Ann with her chops, Nancy on guitar, this was the first real female fronted rock band to trump the hard rock charts.
5) Hope Sandeval (Mazzy Star). Just my crush...so sexy, great voice, but unfortunately not the biggest resume.
6) Justine Frischman (Elastica). I don't know what it is about her, she is not classically hot, but she to me was so cool, so sexy. Loved this 90's band.
7) Stevie Nicks. I mean simply the queen of female rockers. Gorgeous in the day, her husky vocals fronting one of the all time great groups.....
8) Carrie Brownstein/Slater Kinney. My god, Portlandia and other comedy troupes be damned, she is one of the great guitarists of her generation. This group just rocks.
9) Kate. Bush and Pierson. Okay, I cheated. But Kate Bush and Kate Pierson have two of the most iconic female rock voices.
10) Courtney Love/Hole. Okay, she's a wreck and annoying. But Hole really was really good.

Many others I like alot, but these are my favs.
Linda Ronstadt
Lulu
Carrie Underwood
Karen Carpenter

I’m glad someone mentioned Susan Tedeschi. Her voice is so smooth, I could listen to her and Derek Trucks play all day long.
Also Norah Jones.
Both are smoke shows too.

I'm partial to:

Bonnie Raitt
Amy Winehouse
Aretha
Diana Krall
Sade
Adele

I could go on but I'll let others chime in.
Huge fan of Diana Krall. Her hubby, Elvis Costello is second best in that family! Women rule in that household.

Reactions: Dan1911
Huge fan of Diana Krall. Her hubby, Elvis Costello is second best in that family! Women rule in that household.
Krall played the Mellon Jazz festival at the point. They had a stage set up by the pedestrian underpass to the park. She was amazing and very complimentary to the audience. Very few disruptions. People came to hear the music. It was fun. Gato Barbieri opened.

Holy Christ, this is absolutely one of the best covers I have ever seen and it fits perfect in this thread. My god does Gretchen Wilson nails it like Ann Wilson circa 1975.

If someone played just the music for you and you didn't know, wouldn't you just assume that was Ann Wilson? She sounds just like her.
Exactly. Plus, she is a bit hotter than Ann, not that had anything to do with it. But Ann had such a powerful vocal range and Wilson nailed it perfectly.

Plus, the backing band wasn't too shabby.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
I see Starship is playing the Palace Theater soon. Not sure if Grace Slick is part of the current line up. I’ve never been a fan, but just figured I’d post about it.

the psychedelic Furs are coming this summer. I’m definitely there for that.

I forgot Mary Chapin Carpenter. Love her voice and had tickets to see her in Orlando but she got sick.
I forgot about her too. Glad to see you still like her even though she cancelled. Sounds like a legitimate reason, though. I had tickets to see Lynryd Skynyrd 4 times in the 70s and they cancelled each time. Kind of made me lose interest in them. I used to think that was some kind of record for futility, but big fans of George "No Show" Jones disagree.

Reactions: Saboteur II
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT