ADVERTISEMENT

Fears of the ACC's Demise

In all seriousness, does the expansion of the CFP save the ACC? Even with greater access, the gap between us ans the Big Ten/SEC isn’t getting smaller. I guess the answer is “yes” so long as the Grant of Rights upholds…

In all seriousness, does the expansion of the CFP save the ACC? Even with greater access, the gap between us ans the Big Ten/SEC isn’t getting smaller. I guess the answer is “yes” so long as the Grant of Rights upholds…
A rising tide lifts all boats! Even though the gap will not change the amount of cash to the ACC should increase. I would worry more about FCS schools as they are going to get squeezed out imo

I think it does. Clemson is Clemson because they whipped up on the ACC and won NCs. Their star shines brighter because of that. Why go to SEC and likely not make the playoff? The money is coming regardless of what conference you are in if you win it All.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think it does. Clemson is Clemson because they whipped up on the ACC and won NCs. Their star shines brighter because of that. Why go to SEC and likely not make the playoff? The money is coming regardless of what conference you are in if you win it All.
The ACC shares championship money, minus an amount for expenses.

The SEC allows the championship game participant keep a larger share than the other SEC teams.

Reactions: pittdan77
The ACC shares championship money, minus an amount for expenses.

The SEC allows the championship game participant keep a larger share than the other SEC teams.

I guess that is permanently set in stone. Lol.

It may slow it down, but if fsu or Clemson or Miami get invited to the big or sec and the gor is almost over or they find a way out they are gone. $$$$$$$ still trumps everything to these people.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don’t think conference realignment is about playoff access, it’s about making money. If the SEC or B1G thinks they can make more with additional teams, they will. At the present time, it appears as though Notre Dame is the only team worth bringing in. I think (hope) everything is settled now because talking about teams and games is more fun than talking about where teams are moving and which traditional rivalries will be ending.

Reactions: ThePanthers
A rising tide lifts all boats! Even though the gap will not change the amount of cash to the ACC should increase. I would worry more about FCS schools as they are going to get squeezed out imo
The revenue gap will expand because the SEC and BX will get and distribute much more CFP money because they will have more participants.

I'm happy where we are. Even Clemson and/or the Florida teams leave. It might actually even be easier for us to make the playoffs then. Hard to believe an ACC champion wouldn't make the playoffs almost every year. It would have to be an odd year or a major upset in the ACC championship game for 2 Group of % conference champions to be ranked higher. Especially with the elimination of the divisions next year. I have to think a lot of fans at OK, Texas, USC, and UCLA have to think the same. Money is great for university administrates and accounting staff. But is it worth giving up a significantly easier path to a conference championship and an automatic bid (and possible bye) to the Playoffs?

I like where we are and wouldn't move for anything. Especially with ACC eliminating divisions and playing BC, Syracuse and Va Tech every year. Great road trip and almost more likely than not being heavy favorites in those games in the near future.

The move to 12 may 'stabilize' things in the short run. Let's say slow the pace of change. However it doesn't change a few things:

-I think Clemson and FSU in particular have a strong desire to be in the SEC and this won't change that

-Big Ten is leaning hard on Notre Dame. The 12 team playoff structure may give the Top 4 spots to the Top 4 conference champions...meaning ND would have to join a conference or never get a 1st round bye.

-Most importantly, The Big Ten and SEC play chess while everyone else plays checkers. I do not trust them for a moment. This 12 team playoff benefits them in ways we haven't realized yet. I bet when they get to 20 teams each, they will make some argument that they are really two 10-teams conferences aligned together, and thus should get 2 spots every year.

The move to 12 may 'stabilize' things in the short run. Let's say slow the pace of change. However it doesn't change a few things:

-I think Clemson and FSU in particular have a strong desire to be in the SEC and this won't change that

-Big Ten is leaning hard on Notre Dame. The 12 team playoff structure may give the Top 4 spots to the Top 4 conference champions...meaning ND would have to join a conference or never get a 1st round bye.

-Most importantly, The Big Ten and SEC play chess while everyone else plays checkers. I do not trust them for a moment. This 12 team playoff benefits them in ways we haven't realized yet. I bet when they get to 20 teams each, they will make some argument that they are really two 10-teams conferences aligned together, and thus should get 2 spots every year.
I agree with you that Clemson, FSU, and _______ (name practically anyone) have SEC Dreams. But even they have to realize that their road to the national championship playoffs is much, much easier as an ACC member. And really - isn't that what their primary interest should be? If they keep winning, the money will increase.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
I agree with you that Clemson, FSU, and _______ (name practically anyone) have SEC Dreams. But even they have to realize that their road to the national championship playoffs is much, much easier as an ACC member. And really - isn't that what their primary interest should be? If they keep winning, the money will increase.
I know anyone in the ACC would take an SEC of B10 offer, and all have likely done some due diligence on the matter, but for FSU&Clemson I think it's more of a strategic objective.

The revenue gap will expand because the SEC and BX will get and distribute much more CFP money because they will have more participants.
Based on what? They Big Ten has not deserved to have more reps. Everyone is brainwashed into thinking this means an open door policy for these two conferences. It won’t happen.

It comes down to $$$. If the ACC has more successful and ranked teams, well we also can get more playoff spots, more revenue. Make no mistake, any program will choose money over success though. We have seen this.

The conference that really took a big hit so far is the PAC 12. Obviously losing the two LA schools, but when the school you are hoping to carry the banner for the conference gives up 7 TD's on their opponent's first 7 drives, yikes not good. So they will continue to have trouble recruiting the best SoCal players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT