ADVERTISEMENT

Firing Wannstedt

Hello pot.

I never realized just how many jackass fans Pitt has. Ripping a guy who wins games here, for what? I'll just shake my head, feel sorry for Corky here and appreciate the good

Basically the issue was underachieving. Pitt had the talent they just weren't coached up enough to take advantage of it. A lot like the current Penn State teams.

Repeating the same lie doesn't make it a truth Mr Trump

And yet oddly you keep trying it.

I mean you cannot seriously believe that at the end the Big East conference was as good as it was before all the conference shuffling started. Or at least you can't if you have even a modicum of understanding about football. And as time goes on you are really making it hard for anyone to think that you do have even a modicum of understanding.

1. Old Big East
2. New Big East
3. Coastal

The firing of Dave is irrelevant to Pitt football in 2018. We might as well go back to the decision to not pay Sherill for all the good it will do. If you want to look in the past, at least go back to the true glory years.

Pitt needs to find a coach who is an innovator. Find the next Art Briles, Gus Malzahn, or Gary Patterson.

Well, all those guys were innovative high school coaches, so hire Eric Kasperowicz.

Hello pot.

I never realized just how many jackass fans Pitt has. Ripping a guy who wins games here, for what? I'll just shake my head, feel sorry for Corky here and appreciate the good

Tons of, but none of them mean nothing to nobody and they back, and are losers. Souf loved Pederson, enough said!

Reactions: paulbl99
Was the Big East conference better or worse before all the conference shuffling started than it was at the end? The answer to that question isn't a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact for anyone who understands football even a little bit. And yet you seem incapable of understanding that.
Talk about incapable of understanding something? What the F subject are you even on Joe? Your question has nothing to with my stance or anything I've said. I'm not nor did I ever compare anyone to anything...when you come back to us, let me know

For the love of god. Going 8-4 and winning at a top 5 VT, and barely losing to ranked wvu and #1 Miami was much more impressive than going 9-3 and beating no ranked teams.

Yeah, they both had a WTF loss in NCSt and a&m but walt played a much tougher schedule for his entire career at pitt than wanny ever did.

Talk about incapable of understanding something? What the F subject are you even on Joe? Your question has nothing to with my stance or anything I've said. I'm not nor did I ever compare anyone to anything...when you come back to us, let me know

You really have lost your mind.

We are talking about the context in which things happened. Was the Big East a better conference at the end than it was years before? Of course not, which anyone with even half a brain knows. Which means that winning in that conference was significantly easier.

The fact that you can't follow along with such a simple argument probably does a good job explaining why you think that Dave Wannstedt was a good football coach.

It has nothing to do with him being my hero, despite your shade. I've never once said if I think he is a great coach, if I liked him or not. I defend against the stupid posts that say he's a loser, blah blah blah, because they are as dumb as it gets, considering the program we're talking about and what's happened in it the last 40+ years. I'm just smart enough to realize a good thing when we had it, because we rarely do
He’s not coming back

Accept that reality

Regularly lose? I'll type this slow too...cherry pick one or two games if you want, but his record here and 10 win seasons prove all I need to see. If you are 1 or 2 wins away from great things, guess what, you're not a bad coach. A bad coach loses to those "crappy" teams. A bad coach doesn't win more games than he loses. Stop trying so hard

Wanny's overall record was was 43-32, or 58%. There are likely dozens of active coaches with the same or better winning percentage. Steve Addazio, Paul Johnson, and Will Muschamp are almost identical. Except these 3 did it in the ACC and SEC and didn't go .500 against freaking UConn and Cincinnati. And NO ONE pines for those guys. They're ok, that's it.

I cannot understand the obsession with an average coach who was average against terrible competition.

The people screaming to fire Narduzzi are the same morons who screamed to fire Wanny.

They are either fans of S&M or flamers. Unless you have a sure fire bona fide coaching star AND the backing of big boosters to pay a few recruits, changing coaches is the dumbest thing. Narduzzi will get it, but ooooh I wish we still had president stache as coach.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Basically the issue was underachieving. Pitt had the talent they just weren't coached up enough to take advantage of it. A lot like the current Penn State teams.

They were coached up individually just fine. The issue was bringing it all together and winning more games.

Well, all those guys were innovative high school coaches, so hire Eric Kasperowicz.

He should have been hired as an assistant several years ago which at least would have given him a chance to move up the ranks. Despite all his flaws, Todd Graham got pretty far in life by hiring good high school coaches onto his staff and letting the move up.

They are either fans of S&M or flamers. Unless you have a sure fire bona fide coaching star AND the backing of big boosters to pay a few recruits, changing coaches is the dumbest thing. Narduzzi will get it, but ooooh I wish we still had president stache as coach.

Duzz wont get nothing, he is a bozo

You really have lost your mind.

We are talking about the context in which things happened. Was the Big East a better conference at the end than it was years before? Of course not, which anyone with even half a brain knows. Which means that winning in that conference was significantly easier.

The fact that you can't follow along with such a simple argument probably does a good job explaining why you think that Dave Wannstedt was a good football coach.
I never once compared or discussed the Big East Conference. Discussed who was a better coach, etc - so go **** yourself with not following along asstard

Reactions: Wildman4Pitt
Wanny's overall record was was 43-32, or 58%. There are likely dozens of active coaches with the same or better winning percentage. Steve Addazio, Paul Johnson, and Will Muschamp are almost identical. Except these 3 did it in the ACC and SEC and didn't go .500 against freaking UConn and Cincinnati. And NO ONE pines for those guys. They're ok, that's it.

I cannot understand the obsession with an average coach who was average against terrible competition.
I don't really disagree all that much here. It's the asstards that say he's a loser and put down the 9 and 10 win season and focus on nothing but the bad is what I focus on. There's an obvious agenda their and it's sad. Put down a dude that gave you one of the best seasons we've had in 30+ years is just retarded and arguing for argument sake

Reactions: mcgunns
I never once compared or discussed the Big East Conference. Discussed who was a better coach, etc - so go **** yourself with not following along asstard

Right, of course you didn't bring up the quality of the Big East Conference, because it is abundantly clear that you simply do not understand context.

In Dave Wannstedt's season of all seasons we played exactly ONE team that was in the top 25 when the game was played, and two teams that ended the season in the top 25, number 8 Cincinnati and number 25 West Virginia (and for what it's worth, we lost them both). As of this week's poll we have already played teams ranked 11 and 12, and we have games still left on the schedule with teams that are ranked 6, 17 and 24. We also have two other games left with teams that are receiving votes but are not in this week's top 25, teams number 28 and t42. Surely even you understand that this year's schedule is significantly more difficult than the 2009 schedule, don't you? Surely even you understand that if the 2009 team played a schedule as difficult as this year's schedule that not only would they have been extremely unlikely to win ten games, they wouldn't have even been likely to win eight. Or conversely, if this year's team played a schedule as easy as the 2009 team did that this year's team would be very likely to at least make a bowl game.

You can't keep playing up that magical ten win season without also acknowledging that it came against inferior competition. Or at least you can't if you have more than half a brain and are intellectually honest. If Army wins 10 games this year no one, literally no one, will think that winning ten games against a schedule that features teams like Libery, San Jose State, Layfayette and Colgate is the same as if someone like Washington or LSU or Penn State wins ten games, because people understand context and they understand that the strength of the schedule that you play matters.

Or I guess maybe I should say that no one would think that Army was as good as any of those teams except you, because you truly seem incapable of putting things into their proper context.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Right, of course you didn't bring up the quality of the Big East Conference, because it is abundantly clear that you simply do not understand context.

In Dave Wannstedt's season of all seasons we played exactly ONE team that was in the top 25 when the game was played, and two teams that ended the season in the top 25, number 8 Cincinnati and number 25 West Virginia (and for what it's worth, we lost them both). As of this week's poll we have already played teams ranked 11 and 12, and we have games still left on the schedule with teams that are ranked 6, 17 and 24. We also have two other games left with teams that are receiving votes but are not in this week's top 25, teams number 28 and t42. Surely even you understand that this year's schedule is significantly more difficult than the 2009 schedule, don't you? Surely even you understand that if the 2009 team played a schedule as difficult as this year's schedule that not only would they have been extremely unlikely to win ten games, they wouldn't have even been likely to win eight. Or conversely, if this year's team played a schedule as easy as the 2009 team did that this year's team would be very likely to at least make a bowl game.

You can't keep playing up that magical ten win season without also acknowledging that it came against inferior competition. Or at least you can't if you have more than half a brain and are intellectually honest. If Army wins 10 games this year no one, literally no one, will think that winning ten games against a schedule that features teams like Libery, San Jose State, Layfayette and Colgate is the same as if someone like Washington or LSU or Penn State wins ten games, because people understand context and they understand that the strength of the schedule that you play matters.

Or I guess maybe I should say that no one would think that Army was as good as any of those teams except you, because you truly seem incapable of putting things into their proper context.

That what the biggest waste of 1 minute of my entire life , ignorant

Reactions: MyNameisJoe
Worst move ever and still haunting Pitt! 12-14 years of Wanny would have left Pitt in a much better place talent wise and stability! Boy how dumb that move turned out to be!

Probably give my tickets away for the rest of the year if anyone will even take them at this point!

the three worse moves still haunting Pitt:

1) Not forming an all-eastern conference in the 1980's and separating from traditional rival PSU & WVU. PSU is the only thing Pitt fans are passionate about. It is the only game at Heinz where people stood in my section the whole first half and no one yelled sit down. It rained miserably but the game was still packed. Yet we are divorced from them.

2) Not renovating Pitt Stadium and moving to Heinz. I didn't hate Pederson as much as some, but this is proving to be the death sentence of Pitt football. Hard to ignore the yellow seats in the social media era. Personally I like playing at Heinz with the amenities and easy access, but it is way too big for our fan base and we will never fill it consistently.

3) Hiring Ed Bozik.

Notice that Wannstedt firing is nowhere on the list.

Firing him when they did, after one "down" season following 2 pretty promising ones, remains a pretty baffling decision. He should have still been the coach in 2011, perhaps with a slightly hot seat underneath him.
That said, I'm not convinced Wanny would have survived long in the ACC, and I definitely don't think he'd still be at Pitt. And that's not to draw any comparisons to how he'd have done vs. what Chryst or Duzz has done, but he'd have been here a decade or so, and if Pitt seemed like they were stagnating in the ACC at the 6 or 7 win mark (which is where I think they would have been), they would have canned him by now.

the three worse moves still haunting Pitt:

1) Not forming an all-eastern conference in the 1980's and separating from traditional rival PSU & WVU. PSU is the only thing Pitt fans are passionate about. It is the only game at Heinz where people stood in my section the whole first half and no one yelled sit down. It rained miserably but the game was still packed. Yet we are divorced from them.

2) Not renovating Pitt Stadium and moving to Heinz. I didn't hate Pederson as much as some, but this is proving to be the death sentence of Pitt football. Hard to ignore the yellow seats in the social media era. Personally I like playing at Heinz with the amenities and easy access, but it is way too big for our fan base and we will never fill it consistently.

3) Hiring Ed Bozik.

Notice that Wannstedt firing is nowhere on the list.

It was simply really. Pitt should have supported the program a little bit more when it was one top. Retaining and hiring decent coaches should have been a no-brainer. And why couldn't they have upgraded the bathrooms and concessions at Pitt Stadium. People love to talk about how terrible those things were, but why were they so bad?

It was insane. It was a f*cktard of a man, who couldnt deal with a football coach's arrogance (which Wannstedt has) and couldnt manage him and instead butted heads and . In a parallel universe Pitt is in a different stratophere now because they kepy Wannstedt and flourished in the penn state scandal years. We missed the opportunity of a lifetime because a true bozo (petersen) couldnt handle personalities.

But after a bunch of way worse hires we finally have someone that can lead an organization. Obviously that isnt translating to wins, but Narduzzi is an actual head coach with vision. That doesnt mean dick if we go 5-7 each year, and if we do, he needs to be let go, but I do like the guy, like his work ethic, like the vision, and think he can be successful.

God, talk about misrembering the past.

It was insane. It was a f*cktard of a man, who couldnt deal with a football coach's arrogance (which Wannstedt has) and couldnt manage him and instead butted heads and . In a parallel universe Pitt is in a different stratophere now because they kepy Wannstedt and flourished in the penn state scandal years. We missed the opportunity of a lifetime because a true bozo (petersen) couldnt handle personalities.

But after a bunch of way worse hires we finally have someone that can lead an organization. Obviously that isnt translating to wins, but Narduzzi is an actual head coach with vision. That doesnt mean dick if we go 5-7 each year, and if we do, he needs to be let go, but I do like the guy, like his work ethic, like the vision, and think he can be successful.

You nailed it perfectly!

Duzz is not the answer!

That what the biggest waste of 1 minute of my entire life , ignorant

I already covered you when I said that someone would need at least half a brain and to be intellectually honest to agree. The only thing still up in the air is whether you fail one of those or both.

I said it at the time and I will say it again, firing Dave Wannstedt when we did and especially HOW we did was among the dumbest things I’ve ever seen Pitt do. And that is saying a mouthful, because Pitt has done some of the dumbest things in the history of intercollegiate athletics.

We fired the guy - a true Pitt guy no less - because we were sick of coming in second place in the conference.

Unreal.

Let that sink in for a second. We were successful but just not quite as successful as we thought we should be, so we fired the guy.

I still can’t believe we did it.

This is typically the part where someone chimes in about the program being completely out of control and all the rest of that BS they were fed at the time. Look, if you want to buy that propaganda that’s entirely up to you. However, I can tell you with absolute certainty that’s a bunch of horseshit.

The only one who should’ve been fired at the time was Pederson for voluntarily choosing to become the face of crime among college football programs based on a deeply flawed article by Sports Illustrated. He should’ve done what Trump does every time there’s a negative article about him – just cry “fake news” and move the eff on as if nothing has happened.

Seriously, whoever gave Pitt the advice to take owner of that article should’ve been sued for malpractice. It’s the dumbest advice I’ve ever seen given, much less taken.

In fact, it was so dumb that I think Pederson intentionally did it to rid himself of a political rival among boosters. I genuinely believe that Pederson sacrificed Pitt to save his own hide and I think we are still paying for it.

I realize that sounds a bit conspiratorial, but that’s the only explanation I can come up with for why any educated human being would decide to have a press conference like that. No intelligent person, much less a team of intelligent people, could possibly have thought that was a good idea. There had to be ulterior motives.

I said it at the time and I will say it again, firing Dave Wannstedt when we did and especially HOW we did was among the dumbest things I’ve ever seen Pitt do. And that is saying a mouthful, because Pitt has done some of the dumbest things in the history of intercollegiate athletics.

We fired the guy - a true Pitt guy no less - because we were sick of coming in second place in the conference.

Unreal.

Let that sink in for a second. We were successful but just not quite as successful as we thought we should be, so we fired the guy.

I still can’t believe we did it.

This is typically the part where someone chimes in about the program being completely out of control and all the rest of that BS they were fed at the time. Look, if you want to buy that propaganda that’s entirely up to you. However, I can tell you with absolute certainty that’s a bunch of horseshit.

The only one who should’ve been fired at the time was Pederson for voluntarily choosing to become the face of crime among college football programs based on a deeply flawed article by Sports Illustrated. He should’ve done what Trump does every time there’s a negative article about him – just cry “fake news” and move the eff on as if nothing has happened.

Seriously, whoever gave Pitt the advice to take owner of that article should’ve been sued for malpractice. It’s the dumbest advice I’ve ever seen given, much less taken.

In fact, it was so dumb that I think Pederson intentionally did it to rid himself of a political rival among boosters. I genuinely believe that Pederson sacrificed Pitt to save his own hide and I think we are still paying for it.

I realize that sounds a bit conspiratorial, but that’s the only explanation I can come up with for why any educated human being would decide to have a press conference like that. No intelligent person, much less a team of intelligent people, could possibly have thought that was a good idea. There had to be ulterior motives.
No, I have 3 moves that will trump Wanny. These guys were very good coaches who had a lot of success at Pitt.
1) Letting the poindexter’s ruin the dynasty Jock Sutherland built.
2) The idiots in charge letting Jackie Sherrill walk because they thought they would do just as well without him.
3) Barnes opening the door for Dixon to leave rather providing the additional resources he needed for assistants.

Reactions: H2P 2003
I also remember that when he was fired there were very, very few of us warning that it was a ridiculously idiotic decision.

There were a handful of us and I remember exactly who it was that had the proper perspective. I also remember who was out to lunch.

I say that not to brag because really, why would anyone brag about something so meaningless? What does it really matter? However, I think that we can and should learn from that mistake here.

I’m not interested in defending Narduzzi or pretending that everything is just hunky-dory, because I don’t feel that way. I am as disappointed in this season as anyone. I think there are some real legitimate causes for concern.

However, I have also seen how insanely our fan base tends to act at the first hint of adversity and I’m definitely not with those folks either.

I think the Pitt mob who view every single game as a referendum on the coach’s job stability and the direction of the program, and who throw public temper tantrums every single time something doesn’t go their way are dangerously unstable and usually very ill-informed.

I think they ran Harris out of town, then Wannstedt. It’s only now with years of hindsight that a lot of our fans are FINALLY like, “Hey, I was just looking at our recruiting rankings and our records and watching some old videos and it occurred to me that firing a coach who was excelling in all of those areas, but not quite winning the week-ass Big East, may not have been the brightest idea in the world.”

De’r!

I can assure you those same rocket scientists would have run Chryst out of town prematurely as well, but he got out ahead of the posse. He too has proven to be a pretty good football coach.

My point is that as you read this website for the rest of this season - and probably in the next several seasons, because Narduzzi just signed a seven-year extension and isn’t going anywhere, gang – take all of it with a huge grain of salt.

Don't Let It Being You Down

People that posted since Frank's old board were banned over posting, about the idiot decision by the two nimrods in charge at the time!

I’m sure that post with me all kinds of friends as well, but what the hell? When you’re right, you’re right and I was/am very clearly right.

Look, we have done this to ourselves and we now have absolutely no choice but to support this guy, so you had better hope like hell that he figures it out and turns things around or you’re going to be completely miserable for the next three or four years at a minimum.

Drew_F warned you all until he was banned for voicing an opposition! These board monitor ball washers back then banned whoever was vocal about that firing. I remember.
Are you sure that wasn’t Drew M? Then again, it was so Drew F to represent himself as Drew M.

No, I have 3 moves that will trump Wanny. These guys were very good coaches who had a lot of success at Pitt.
1) Letting the poindexter’s ruin the dynasty Jock Sutherland built.
2) The idiots in charge letting Jackie Sherrill walk because they thought they would do just as well without him.
3) Barnes opening the door for Dixon to leave rather providing the additional resources he needed for assistants.
Yes, those were all bad decisions as well. I would also argue that firing Gottfried was an absolutely idiotic mistake.

However, the decisions to run out of town both Harris and Wannstedt rank right up there with them.

We just don’t know what we’re doing.

We can’t even get our own throwback colors right. How are we going to make a multimillion dollar coaching decision if we can’t even get our own freaking colors right?

As I said earlier, it may seem incidental to many others but it’s important to me because I think it suggests an overall inattention to detail that infests the entire program.

It looks like we may have lucked into a basketball coach with Capel, and I surely hope that turns out to be true. However, are you confident we’re going to be able to keep him?

At this rate, I’m half expecting him to have a really good recruiting year and then announce next year that he’s leaving us to take the head-coaching position at Saint Bonaventure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT