ADVERTISEMENT

Firing Wannstedt

The problem with saying even Walt and Gottfried were mediocre here is then you basically are saying we have had 10 head coaches who all deserved to be fired since Sherrill. At that point, maybe the problem isn't that all 10 coaches weren't good enough, but it's that Pitt since the steel industry collapsed is actually a really hard place to win at (hint: it is.) And finding a great coach will probably have to include both some amount of coaching turnover to find that gem who can win (and actually wants to stay!) here AND that they'll need enough time to get the stars to align enough to win those 11 games.
Well, almost all HCs deserve to be fired at some point. That isn't unique to Pitt. Paul Johnson has done a pretty good job at GT during his tenure, but, he isn't a great coach and he will eventually be fired/resign under pressure. A mediocre coach might have some success, but stall out or plateau. That doesn't mean it was a bad hire or that you can't win at Pitt. Many other coaches discussed won at lesser programs, but were still (overall) pretty mediocre P5 HCs.

Well, almost all HCs deserve to be fired at some point. That isn't unique to Pitt. Paul Johnson has done a pretty good job at GT during his tenure, but, he isn't a great coach and he will eventually be fired/resign under pressure. A mediocre coach might have some success, but stall out or plateau. That doesn't mean it was a bad hire or that you can't win at Pitt. Many other coaches discussed won at lesser programs, but were still (overall) pretty mediocre P5 HCs.

Sure. Paul Johnson will probably be gone relatively soon. Ultimately if you're not an Alabama/Oklahoma the standard to me is more like "did your fans have a good time?" I think for PJ provided his fans some good memories -- the 11 win season, two Orange Bowl trips, four conference title games, a few dramatic wins over Georgia, etc.

Reactions: PITTLAW
So you proved you didn’t prove him wrong about the main point.
Lol
I’m pointing out that those hollowed category of cumulative wins over 3 years had two things missing.
Accurate math.
And context that it took wanny 3 non-winning seasons to reach Walt levels -
And he only won 1 additional game over his peak than Walt in his last 3 seasons.

No need to go back further than the previous coach from wannstedt

I’m pointing out that those hollowed category of cumulative wins over 3 years had two things missing.
Accurate math.
And context that it took wanny 3 non-winning seasons to reach Walt levels -
And he only won 1 additional game over his peak than Walt in his last 3 seasons.

No need to go back further than the previous coach from wannstedt

So now you have come around to being in the camp that Walt sucked as much as Wannstedt? LOL... Hail to Pitt!

So now you have come around to being in the camp that Walt sucked as much as Wannstedt? LOL... Hail to Pitt!
I’ve always been in that camp.
Walt gets extra credit for elevating the program out of the gutter.
His shelf life expired here.

Wanny peaked at Walt like results
I had no issues with his departure, either.

Last edited:
Hindsight being hindsight, sure would have been great to not demphasize, or hire Peterson, or ditch Walt or Wanny.

Really, would have been nice if Fitz never would have attended Pitt. I was in a good place after suffering the 90s with not giving two craps about football. Generally speaking, 90s music scene was way more interesting than football, anyway. So it worked for me. Walt landing Fitz changed all of that, created the appearance that Pitt was better than it was. Pitt football stinks and this coaching staff cant recruit well enough to change that. Pitt needs a very strong five year period of high quantity, high quality WPIAL talent. Since the WPIAL stinks on a national level these days, I happen to believe Pitt football is never going to compete at a high level again. ho hum prove me wrong

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT