ADVERTISEMENT

Football Business Plan Lacking in AD

Panther Al

Walk-on
Aug 31, 2008
Firstly, I want to congratulate Heather Lyke on landing Jeff Capel. It was a great hire and hope it works out.

Though she will get an extended honeymoon because of this hire, it doesn't remove the biggest problem which is drawing people to Heinz which ultimately affects recruiting. As I've said multiple times, the Steelers relationship with Pitt is useless because look at how many 4/5 star recruits we've landed the last two years after beating PSU at home and the National champs in Death Valley. The Steelers don't move the bar because we can go through countless 4/5 star PA players who went elsewhere who likely grew up Steeler fans and serious doubt they rooted for the Browns.

My biggest issue besides landing an on campus stadium is we need to come up with a business plan to sell tickets and it shouldn't be around this year's PSU night game. We all remember when Scott Barnes was bragging about the record season tickets and outside of the PSU game, Heinz was a morgue for the rest of the games. What's not a joke is the amount of 4/5 star players who pass on us due to atmosphere when we are competing with PSU, OSU, UM, ND, etc. for elite playmakers who help compete for championships. What's not a joke is when ESPN mocks the Heinz atmosphere on National TV which sucks for recruiting.

Last season, Lyke introduced football promos a week before the season started? Are you serious? Most organizations do this when the schedule is released. I've said on multiple occasions to make the upper deck corners or highest seats (worst seats), $1 for the unattractive games or put all of them on stub hub which is how today's consumer purchases tickets. Tickets aren't sold through the ticket office which is the way people bought 30 years ago. It really doesn't matter if the tickets are $.25, get people in the building and hopefully they will come back especially the younger kids.

We also saw earlier this year that when you market a game, people will show. Case in point, Lyke did a nice job in getting 10,000 people to a ladies game and can't remember the reason for the event. No disrespect, but men's BB always draws better than ladies BB. Men's BB averaged 2000 to 3000 a game but the women's team got 10,000 people for one game? Its called marketing and if a plan or team isn't doing well, you need to change to make things better. I'm sure there are plenty of kids or families who would have loved to go to a Pitt BB game regardless of how bad they were. Sadly, common business 101 has been lacking in the Pitt athletic department since SP. I get the sense that Pitt is never proactive but is always reactive which is a bad way to run your business. I'm curious what you think. H2P.

Firstly, I want to congratulate Heather Lyke on landing Jeff Capel. It was a great hire and hope it works out.

Though she will get an extended honeymoon because of this hire, it doesn't remove the biggest problem which is drawing people to Heinz which ultimately affects recruiting. As I've said multiple times, the Steelers relationship with Pitt is useless because look at how many 4/5 star recruits we've landed the last two years after beating PSU at home and the National champs in Death Valley. The Steelers don't move the bar because we can go through countless 4/5 star PA players who went elsewhere who likely grew up Steeler fans and serious doubt they rooted for the Browns.

My biggest issue besides landing an on campus stadium is we need to come up with a business plan to sell tickets and it shouldn't be around this year's PSU night game. We all remember when Scott Barnes was bragging about the record season tickets and outside of the PSU game, Heinz was a morgue for the rest of the games. What's not a joke is the amount of 4/5 star players who pass on us due to atmosphere when we are competing with PSU, OSU, UM, ND, etc. for elite playmakers who help compete for championships. What's not a joke is when ESPN mocks the Heinz atmosphere on National TV which sucks for recruiting.

Last season, Lyke introduced football promos a week before the season started? Are you serious? Most organizations do this when the schedule is released. I've said on multiple occasions to make the upper deck corners or highest seats (worst seats), $1 for the unattractive games or put all of them on stub hub which is how today's consumer purchases tickets. Tickets aren't sold through the ticket office which is the way people bought 30 years ago. It really doesn't matter if the tickets are $.25, get people in the building and hopefully they will come back especially the younger kids.

We also saw earlier this year that when you market a game, people will show. Case in point, Lyke did a nice job in getting 10,000 people to a ladies game and can't remember the reason for the event. No disrespect, but men's BB always draws better than ladies BB. Men's BB averaged 2000 to 3000 a game but the women's team got 10,000 people for one game? Its called marketing and if a plan or team isn't doing well, you need to change to make things better. I'm sure there are plenty of kids or families who would have loved to go to a Pitt BB game regardless of how bad they were. Sadly, common business 101 has been lacking in the Pitt athletic department since SP. I get the sense that Pitt is never proactive but is always reactive which is a bad way to run your business. I'm curious what you think. H2P.

It is very obvious that Pitt needs a much smaller stadium wherever that may be. When most seats are filled, the atmosphere will be much better. They could do this by simply closing off the upper deck endzone and non-TV view upper sideline. Make Heinz into a 45K seat stadium. When, WVU, ND, FSU, and Clemson come in, expand it

It is very obvious that Pitt needs a much smaller stadium wherever that may be. When most seats are filled, the atmosphere will be much better. They could do this by simply closing off the upper deck endzone and non-TV view upper sideline. Make Heinz into a 45K seat stadium. When, WVU, ND, FSU, and Clemson come in, expand it

yep

Do you have season tickets for football?

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
There is no magic bullet. The team generates interest, not the AD. When there is something to watch people will show up, but they still won't fill that yellow cavern.

Oh, and tarps won't change a damn thing.

Yeah, you pretty much nailed the problem. The problem is, there just aren't that many Pitt football fans. There is nothing wrong in admitting this. And 8-5 seasons do not grow the fan base.

Reactions: e-fresh
Narduzzi failed to capitalized on those two big wins in the 2016 season. There’s no excuse for the way he was dominated on the recruiting trail head to head vs psu coming off of that win.

Reactions: SUPERTODD
I respectfully disagree with the premise of the OP.

Until Lyke makes a mistake, her honeymoon period should continue. She will ultimately be judged by her hires so we are a few years away from truly evaluating her tenure.

That said last year she implemented an idea of flat out giving away free tix for the last 2 games, including senior day against the #2 team in the country. If an athletic department can give tix away (I used 2 for a buddy that was in town for the holidays) and still have attendance issues, the problem might be external and more out of Pitts hands than we like to acknowledge.

Additionally this year we have Penn State on the schedule. For better or worse we can expect most season tix to be bought this year. As always the key will be getting butts in the seats for the remaining games. In 2016 pitt sold some single game tix to Penn State for $99. This year that number is $125 and all are in the upper deck. So her idea is to create the perception that it would benefit all to buy season tix instead of a single Penn State game tix.

My guess is this year will take care of itself and next year will be the year she implements a new strategy.

Yes and this is relevant to?????

Well certainly I couldn’t credibly comment on the experience of Washington Nationals’ season ticket holders. Why? Because I don’t have Nats tickets and, thus, don’t own that personal experience. (Hence my observations would not have any credibility.)

How long have you had Pitt tickets and where do you sit? Also, beyond the on the field product, what do we as ticket holders think is missing from the experience at Heinz on Saturday’s? What would grow the base?

Last edited:
Summarizing a few points:

*Heinz Field is too large for Pitt's needs. Even if Pitt wins 10-11 games, Pitt will never, ever draw in the manner that the Steelers do. Pitt's critics all avoid discussing an obvious, valid point: Steelers fans are Pitt fans + UPS fans + WVU fans + Notre Dame fans + (even some) tOSU fans. Pitt won't ever draw those same fans, so it's ludicrous to expect to draw regular 60,000+ crowds when playing Duke, UVA, UNC, etc. We're stuck with the administration’s short-sighted decision to build The Pete, rather than a new stadium in the same footprint of the old Pitt Stadium.

*An on-campus stadium is not gonna happen in any of our lifetimes - for the simple reason that there's no place on campus to put it. Building a new stadium off-campus is silly; if it's too far to walk to, then there's no difference between it or using Heinz Field. Pitt's not going to incur that kinda debt for a limited-use, off-campus facility, nor should they.

Last edited:
Winning games sells tickets, and that will happen. When HCPN took over the team it was a shamble. We are only now filling out the two deep at nearly every position. Give it time.

Lyke has been by far the best AD at Pitt in many years. She has done nothing but improve the coaching of 6 teams so far including the basketball team.

Great starting point when talking to a d-pe like this!

Next question if you have tickets.

Do you attend games?

How many games do you attend each year?

How long do you stay ( 1st half)?

Do you donate?

etc,

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Well certainly I couldn’t credibly comment on the experience of Washington Nationals’ season ticket holders. Why? Because I don’t have Nats tickets and, thus, don’t own that personal experience. (Hence my observations would not have any credibility.)

How long have you had Pitt tickets and where do you sit? Also, beyond the on the field product, what do we as ticket holders think is missing from the experience at Heinz on Saturday’s? What would grow the base?
Winning. It’s the only thing.

Whenever anyone prefaces a comment with the words "no disrespect", that is exactly what they do.
Here's a business plan.
Break a four decade streak of at least 3 losses in a regular season. People gravitate towards excellence, not mediocrity on our better years.

It's human nature to bitch.

Tennessee's coach bitched about some of his players in the spring game. That's a fair bitch. He also bitched about some of the 65,000 fans who showed up to watch the spring game.

65,000 people showed up to watch his team, and he found something to bitch about.

"Jeremy Pruitt: Our fans today were like our football team. Some were here and doing great, some weren’t here for legitimate reasons, and some should have been here and weren’t. That sounds just like our team."

Human nature.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...nnessee-players-flat-out-quit-in-spring-game/

Reactions: Saboteur
It's human nature to bitch.

Tennessee's coach bitched about some of his players in the spring game. That's a fair bitch. He also bitched about some of the 65,000 fans who showed up to watch the spring game.

65,000 people showed up to watch his team, and he found something to bitch about.

"Jeremy Pruitt: Our fans today were like our football team. Some were here and doing great, some weren’t here for legitimate reasons, and some should have been here and weren’t. That sounds just like our team."

Human nature.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...nnessee-players-flat-out-quit-in-spring-game/
It's also human nature to make bowel movements, but that doesn't mean I want to see, hear, smell or touch it.

Not arguing a full stadium isn't fun for us fans, just not sure your assumption of attendance is the major stumbling block in landing high end recruits is valid.

Actually, I've had season tickets for the NY Jets for the last 40 years and go to 6 to 8 games a year for a losing franchise as I live 6 hours from Pitt. I still go to one Pitt game a year but clearly if I lived in the Burgh or 45 minutes away from the stadium I would be there like I did for all games from 91 to 95 when I was in school

I wonder how many Pitt alum living in Western PA have Steeler season tickets. And how many of them do not have Pitt season tickets.

Reactions: pbrad

The upper deck end zone, sure.

The “non-TV side” upper deck is a much better seat than the other upper deck. It’s on the PITT side, you don’t watch the game “upside down” as far as the direction the ref faces, it stays on the shade in the early season noon games, and has a good city view.

No way you tarp that and keep the other upper deck open.

I don’t know how many seats are in the end zone upper deck, but I would tarp that and the 4 corners of the sideline upper decks. But absolutely not the entire “home side” upper deck.

Reactions: Burgh15
Times change, people change. I don't see many young people being PITT fans. This hurts both attendance and recruiting. The locals who were youngsters when PITT was elite were loyal, but they are a lot older now and PITT has not been good for too many years. It will take time and a lot of wins to get the casual fan to Heinz and to get elite talent to come to PITT.

Reactions: oldpanther
Actually, I've had season tickets for the NY Jets for the last 40 years and go to 6 to 8 games a year for a losing franchise as I live 6 hours from Pitt. I still go to one Pitt game a year but clearly if I lived in the Burgh or 45 minutes away from the stadium I would be there like I did for all games from 91 to 95 when I was in school
Pitt offered free or discounted tickets to season ticket holders for certain games last year. The price isn’t the main issue. Heinz is just too big for Pitt’s fan base.

Reactions: pbrad
Pitt should try offering free or reduced tickets to Steeler season ticket holders. Pitt needs to attract football fans.

Winning games sells tickets, and that will happen. When HCPN took over the team it was a shamble. We are only now filling out the two deep at nearly every position. Give it time.

Lyke has been by far the best AD at Pitt in many years. She has done nothing but improve the coaching of 6 teams so far including the basketball team.

Winning games isn't going to sell 70K tickets. If Pitt is 8-0 and playing Duke, attendance will be 52K

The upper deck end zone, sure.

The “non-TV side” upper deck is a much better seat than the other upper deck. It’s on the PITT side, you don’t watch the game “upside down” as far as the direction the ref faces, it stays on the shade in the early season noon games, and has a good city view.

No way you tarp that and keep the other upper deck open.

I don’t know how many seats are in the end zone upper deck, but I would tarp that and the 4 corners of the sideline upper decks. But absolutely not the entire “home side” upper deck.

The non-TV side would have to be closed, no doubt. You cant have 20K empty yellow seats on the TV side upper deck showing the whole game. If its an issue, move Pitt to the TV view sideline. Its not rocket science

Pitt offered free or discounted tickets to season ticket holders for certain games last year. The price isn’t the main issue. Heinz is just too big for Pitt’s fan base.

Yes, it is just this. While Pitt may have a fan problem, it has more of a stadium capacity problem. If Pitt had a 50K stadium, they wouldn't sell it out always, or they may if they are good, because of the supply/demand thing.

I often equate this to a restaurant. You always hear these small, hot restaurants, sold out night after night, have to make reservations in advance. Vs these big restaurants who are always half empty, and usually go under. When you are looking for a place to eat, you want to go to the place that has the vibrant atmosphere.

Making Pitt tickets Free, is not going to make a full stadium for say Pitt/Georgia Tech. Likely it is not going to make 5,000 more people in the stands. People go if they want to go, it is not a price thing at all.

Here's another thing. I often see on these threads, defensive Pitt fans always countering with a) do you have tickets, b) do you donate etc....as trying to discredit the critical comments if they disagree with. That is a bad take. Because the people on here bitching and don't have tickets, etc....are at least INTERESTED in the program. These are the people you should take into account what their complaints are. Not the "diehard" who sat in 1996 against Temple in the rain with 5,000 other Pitt fans, because you know, they are diehards. So they could care less if the game is played in a splinter benched cow pasture with outhouses.

Pitt needs to value those interested in the program, but not buying tickets and attending games. That is who you need to target, not push away with dismissive "you don't count cause you don't go". I am battling our quality and marketing departments right now on "Customer Satisfaction" surveys we developed which are geared towards our top customers where we have a majority or 100% market share of the products we supply. While their feedback is obviously important, it is those customers where we have little to zero market share is where we should concentrate on why they buy somewhere else, or at least don't buy from us. That is how you build sales. Pitt needs to survey people who have had, or bought individual tickets at some point, or as someone said, even Steeler Season ticket holders, on what needs to happen for you to go to a Pitt football game against Georgia Tech at Noon on a Saturday.

Reactions: Ski11585
Here's another thing. I often see on these threads, defensive Pitt fans always countering with a) do you have tickets, b) do you donate etc....as trying to discredit the critical comments if they disagree with. That is a bad take. Because the people on here bitching and don't have tickets, etc....are at least INTERESTED in the program. These are the people you should take into account what their complaints are. Not the "diehard" who sat in 1996 against Temple in the rain with 5,000 other Pitt fans, because you know, they are diehards. So they could care less if the game is played in a splinter benched cow pasture with outhouses.

Pitt needs to value those interested in the program, but not buying tickets and attending games. That is who you need to target, not push away with dismissive "you don't count cause you don't go". I am battling our quality and marketing departments right now on "Customer Satisfaction" surveys we developed which are geared towards our top customers where we have a majority or 100% market share of the products we supply. While their feedback is obviously important, it is those customers where we have little to zero market share is where we should concentrate on why they buy somewhere else, or at least don't buy from us. That is how you build sales. Pitt needs to survey people who have had, or bought individual tickets at some point, or as someone said, even Steeler Season ticket holders, on what needs to happen for you to go to a Pitt football game against Georgia Tech at Noon on a Saturday.
I kid you not, I actually remember that game, being there and exactly where I sat. it was really hot that day, sunny at least and all I can remember is thinking, "are we really going to lose to temple?"

You left out that often trolls are starting threads such as these. It's a pointless discussion. If you win you attract fans. If you win you have young fans. If you win the perception changes.

Pitt needs to embrace scheduling like a Wisconsin until they start to win 10 games per year consistently. Nothing else really matters beyond stacking wins and no-one cares if those wins are against cupcakes.

You left out that often trolls are starting threads such as these. It's a pointless discussion. If you win you attract fans. If you win you have young fans. If you win the perception changes.

Pitt needs to embrace scheduling like a Wisconsin until they start to win 10 games per year consistently. Nothing else really matters beyond stacking wins and no-one cares if those wins are against cupcakes.

There are not as many trolls as you guys think. And the ones that are are fairly obvious. Please don't confuse critics with trolls.

Wisconsin has scheduled OOC:
2018 BYU
2020 Notre Dame
2022 Notre Dame
2024 Virginia Tech
2025 Virginia Tech
And has faced:
2017 BYU
2016 LSU
2015 Alabama
2014 LSU

Has Pitt played anyone Alabama's level OOC recently?

You schedule one tough OOC game and make the rest cupcakes although in Pitt's case, since we don't play Florida State or Clemson at Heinz Field every year, you should schedule an OOC game that draws some fans to attend.

Right and really, Pitt's attendance isn't really that bad all things considered. For what Pitt is, I think our attendance is actually pretty good. Think about it:

No one under the age of say 45 remembers a really good Pitt season (defined as less than 3 regular season losses) so there have been generations of Pitt fans who could have come of age during 10-2 or 11-1 seasons that we missed out on.

It a small school per P5 standards

Massive fanbase of Pengins and Steelers make Pitt an afterthought for most fans, even alums.

Yet, somehow, we often draw 40K. That semi-amazes me. It just looks horrendous with 30K empty seats and the atmosphere is much worse than an elementary school soccer game.....because of optics and how spread out everyone is. A lot of this would go away if we just closed down sections

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT