ADVERTISEMENT

For those who question PN's recruiting

joeydavid

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
Brandon George was severely underrated when he committed to Pitt. 247 now lists him as 4* and #263 in the nation (#5 in PA) He's a monster and will walk on to campus as one of the strongest players on the team.

Brandon George was severely underrated when he committed to Pitt. 247 now lists him as 4* and #263 in the nation (#5 in PA) He's a monster and will walk on to campus as one of the strongest players on the team.

I hope you're right. Has anyone seen him play. His best offers are Pitt,
Temple, and Wake Forrest. If he gets a 4* rating from one of the rating
sites, that's a good sign. I wonder why none of the many other programs
aren't offering.

I hope you're right. Has anyone seen him play. His best offers are Pitt,
Temple, and Wake Forrest. If he gets a 4* rating from one of the rating
sites, that's a good sign. I wonder why none of the many other programs
aren't offering.
Why didn’t George Aston or Jimmy Morrisey get any offers? Why was Brian O’Neill lightly recruited?

Why didn’t George Aston or Jimmy Morrisey get any offers? Why was Brian O’Neill lightly recruited?

Good question. I wasn't suggesting he's not any good nor was I suggesting
that Narduzzi can't recruit well. Just wondering why he was overlooked by
some of the bigger programs.

Good question. I wasn't suggesting he's not any good nor was I suggesting
that Narduzzi can't recruit well. Just wondering why he was overlooked by
some of the bigger programs.
Yes, I’d like to hear someone objective tell us his weaknesses. I was gonna guess he was a tweeter, lacked athleticism but watching him run, he’s got speed, doesn’t seem stiff or runs upright.

I’m far from good at evaluating though and the level of competition in some of those highlights could be mistaken for a 10 year old youth league.

Could see him as a replacement for Aston. Has run the ball in HS, and could be a great blocker with his strength and physicality.

If a kid doesn’t have 4 stars and offers from Bama he’s garbage. At least that’s what I’ve read by the Redruiting gurus on this board

This kid had no talent until he got his fourth star.

If a kid doesn’t have 4 stars and offers from Bama he’s garbage. At least that’s what I’ve read by the Redruiting gurus on this board

This kid had no talent until he got his fourth star.

He's a middle of the road three star composite who has one other P5 offer. The OP just ignored that part of the 247 page.

Nobody said he has "no talent" but if you're satisfied with picking over kids who are piling up offers from Albany and Duquesne, you better enjoy seasons like this because they'll be few and far between.

He's a middle of the road three star composite who has one other P5 offer. The OP just ignored that part of the 247 page.

Nobody said he has "no talent" but if you're satisfied with picking over kids who are piling up offers from Albany and Duquesne, you better enjoy seasons like this because they'll be few and far between.

I judge recruiting by results in the field. Pitt is never going to be getting top 20 classes at least not short term. To improve the program they have to be good at finding kids with upside and developing them and occasionally Win a battle for a higher ranked kid.

And yes I’m enjoying this season immensely. For all the great classes Wanny supposedly got it didn’t yield much better results Pitt has a chance to have a darn good By at by historical standards and is poised to have perhaps a better year next year. I’d prefer to enjoy the process and leave the angst over recruiting up to the guys who get paid to recruit and whose jobs depend on it

Plays like a man among boys. He's big, fast, quick and he will strike you. We recruited him as a middle LB and he certainly looks like one to me. Love how he drops his pads and drives through the ball carrier. He also looks like an excellent big back and could probably play TE or DE. Another example of how the "experts" don't see everybody and how a kid can blossom with maturity.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
George is a baller but is really tough to project out. He plays MLB now but will not play there in college, he is a good athlete but not a great athlete. He is good in space and coverage in high school but will not be able to consistently cover most RBs or TEs so he is probably best suited for playing outside in 3-4 or ends up DE in a 4-3. If he ran a little better a lot of schools would be after him.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
He's OK. The video was more comical than impressive to me. He has 7 inches and 50 lbs on everyone else on the field. He better shove everyone around. Most kids seemed to just fall down in fear when he approached. It will be interesting to see how he reacts after getting beat up by players who are bigger, stronger and better for the first time in his life.

Reactions: Jpripper88
George is a baller but is really tough to project out. He plays MLB now but will not play there in college, he is a good athlete but not a great athlete. He is good in space and coverage in high school but will not be able to consistently cover most RBs or TEs so he is probably best suited for playing outside in 3-4 or ends up DE in a 4-3. If he ran a little better a lot of schools would be after him.

Looks like he runs fine to me for a guy his size. I agree he looks like a DE at Pitt, or maybe TE if he can catch.

How does Pitt finish out this class? Losing 4 seniors on the OL and they only have 2 in this class. I know that Nelms or someone could end up there. I'd like to get one more that is less of a project. Maybe even a juco or grad transfer once we know who transfers etc post season.

Last edited:
Reactions: blazerplayer1717
He's OK. The video was more comical than impressive to me. He has 7 inches and 50 lbs on everyone else on the field. He better shove everyone around. Most kids seemed to just fall down in fear when he approached. It will be interesting to see how he reacts after getting beat up by players who are bigger, stronger and better for the first time in his life.
It is always interesting to watch these tapes with a combination of a FBS athlete vs very weak competition. They should look like a man amongst boys and George does. I think he can be a contributor, but yes, he will have to transition and develop a lot to be a plus player for Pitt.

Reactions: pittdan77
I judge recruiting by results in the field. Pitt is never going to be getting top 20 classes at least not short term. To improve the program they have to be good at finding kids with upside and developing them and occasionally Win a battle for a higher ranked kid.

And yes I’m enjoying this season immensely. For all the great classes Wanny supposedly got it didn’t yield much better results Pitt has a chance to have a darn good By at by historical standards and is poised to have perhaps a better year next year. I’d prefer to enjoy the process and leave the angst over recruiting up to the guys who get paid to recruit and whose jobs depend on it

You hit every single weak, Pitt fan apologist, excuse in one post. Nice job.

Improving the program means bringing in talent. Not diving down to rob FCS schools of "projects with upside" or picking over transfers to find starters.

Watch him vs. Malvern.[/QUOTE

Steelcurtain55 is right about watching George against Malvern Prep.
Malvern plays pretty good football and they usually produce one or
two Div1 players a year. Hornibrook who is at Wisconsin, also the
Syracuse QB a few years ago who tortured us were both Malvern
players, and a RB a few years ago who went to Miami on scholarship.
This year Malvern has at least two players McGuire and Hornibrook's brother,
with major Div 1 offers (major as in Clemson and Notre Dame) among
others. So George has actually played and done well against some
decent competition.

This is a worn out debate... Ultimately the recruiting class is judged by their performance on the field.

There is no doubt that the more composite 4 star players you have, the better chance you have of succeeding at a high level. You can also judge the recruits potential by how many quality offers he receives.

The question is, do you feel that Pitt has the ability to recruit 4 star players on a consistent basis? Personally, I do not.

He is a baller. Excellent recruit who could play a variety of positions depending on how much he continues to grow.

Personally, I do not.

I don't understand why Pitt fans have resigned themselves to mediocrity. "Pitt will never recruit like that" or "Pitt will never be a consistent ten win program" as if it's not even worth trying. I'm not picking a fight but I think setting the bar that low does a disservice to the program because it lulls everyone into a sense of complacency. Hey, Pitt can be kind of crummy and still make the ACC championship because it's division isn't great. Imagine what a really good Pitt team can do.

Reactions: Las Panteras
I don't understand why Pitt fans have resigned themselves to mediocrity. "Pitt will never recruit like that" or "Pitt will never be a consistent ten win program" as if it's not even worth trying. I'm not picking a fight but I think setting the bar that low does a disservice to the program because it lulls everyone into a sense of complacency. Hey, Pitt can be kind of crummy and still make the ACC championship because it's division isn't great. Imagine what a really good Pitt team can do.
Pitt receives very little support. Even during good times.

I get your point. No problem. I’m not resigned to it, I’m facing the fact that it is difficult to bring in 4 star players when you have empty seats and mediocre results for 35 years. I hope I’m wrong, and Narduzzi hires some dynamic recruiters. But until then, seeing is believing.

You just being an a-hole or do you have a reason to believe the OL will be just fine?
The OLine is fine, better then fine. We are running at will against people. What are you worried about?

Experienced players leave, inexperienced players will be asked to replace them. This happens in college football every year, at every program.

The rivals guy from that part of the state Raves over him. He was hurt last year, committed and shut down his recruiting. Who knows what offers he might have if he had not committed and shut down his recruiting right now.

It is always interesting to watch these tapes with a combination of a FBS athlete vs very weak competition. They should look like a man amongst boys and George does. I think he can be a contributor, but yes, he will have to transition and develop a lot to be a plus player for Pitt.
He looks solid. *Most* guys who get scholarship offers to play D1 football look solid on their highlight film. It's all a projection after that. Unless you're getting the cream of the crop, a lot of this comes down to coaching and how hard a kid works. Recruiting is the difference between the top 10, and the rest of the CFB world. Coaching is what separates 4-8 from 7-5 IMO. When you recruit at the level Pitt does, it's a lot of wasted time breaking down each individual commit as if there is some big difference between our class and the class that UNC or Boston College is bringing in.

And the results on the field reflect recruiting: Mediocre. Not good enough to compete for anything serious.

This is a worn out debate... Ultimately the recruiting class is judged by their performance on the field.

There is no doubt that the more composite 4 star players you have, the better chance you have of succeeding at a high level. You can also judge the recruits potential by how many quality offers he receives.

The question is, do you feel that Pitt has the ability to recruit 4 star players on a consistent basis? Personally, I do not.

If Pitt can't consistently recruit 4* players then we as fans should collectively agree they will never, ever compete for a national championship and realign our goals and what will constitute successful seasons.

Yeah, but that doesn't stop coaches from offering and it doesn't stop Rivals guy from posting those offers.
Yes and no. It really depends on the player. If he flat out "shuts it down" schools will stop offering most times. If he doesn't completely shut it down, teams will continue to offer.
Cam Bright was an example of a kid who would have kept getting offers if had not shut it down completely.
I am not saying George is a four star who would be getting offers from Bama, OSU, etc.
But, he is definitely a guy who would be picking up offers from other P5 schools by now.

And the results on the field reflect recruiting: Mediocre. Not good enough to compete for anything serious.

If Pitt can't consistently recruit 4* players then we as fans should collectively agree they will never, ever compete for a national championship and realign our goals and what will constitute successful seasons.
Most have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT