ADVERTISEMENT

FSU having Their way with LSU

The other thing is that you tell your defensive line that as soon as the ref blows the whistle they can fire off the line, because either LSU snaps the ball immediately on the whistle or they don't get the play off.
And even if somehow the refs get confused and call offsides it’s not much of a penalty at all.

Don't disagree there, though that would have been kind of shitty luck for LSU in that FSU probably wouldn't have enough time to communicate/realize that in the heat of the moment had the refs correctly marked him down in bounds to begin with.

I'm starting to wish they would adopt a pro-style replay system. It's just gotten too out of hand watching them review 7-yard plays with 35 minutes left in the game. It used to be you had to hold your cheer to make sure there were no flags thrown on the play. Now, the call on the field doesn't even matter because if it's close you can bet it'll be reviewed. Just too much. They can keep the booth reviews for targeting, since too much is at stake. But after that, just give each coach one challenge per half. And if they win it, give them another. Hell, give them a third if they win both. But at least make them exercise some discretion in what gets reviewed. It's just gotten silly.
I’m on board with this as well. It is too difficult to dynamically engage in the action because you expect nearly everything to be reviewed … and as the blown call last night showed, you can’t even count on an obvious flub to be reversed.

It’s also made officials more half-assed and hesitant in even trying to get calls right and the main reason why so many have diminished in quality. It was ridiculous that WVU’s final pass needed to be reviewed because it was obvious in real time that the ball was on the ground. The ref was in position and should have vehemently waved it off because it was clearly incomplete. But no. Wishy washily threw the call upstairs. And everyone had to wait and hold their breath, because you can’t even count on the obvious in a review.

The replay review process is so painfully slow. The entire nation watching at home can make a decision in 10 seconds with the replays they show on TV and the officials turn it into a 5-minute process. College games are too long as it is let alone when you add all the replays and conferences they need for penalties.

They did say that. The difference would be that if FSU doesn't call time out every FSU defender on the field would know exactly when they were going to snap the ball, and that's an advantage. Maybe not a huge advantage, but an advantage. As evidenced by the fact that teams vary their snap counts from play to play.
And I know there was a replay, but there still is going to be a bit of panic in making sure everyone is lined up. To me that’s the biggest thing. A flinch…anything, and you have the runoff. But the timeout they have no worries, and as you mentioned the FSU DL knows the exact moment the ball would be snapped.

FSU had no excuse not to be ready after the 5 min delay.

Reactions: BFo8
And I know there was a replay, but there still is going to be a bit of panic in making sure everyone is lined up. To me that’s the biggest thing. A flinch…anything, and you have the runoff. But the timeout they have no worries, and as you mentioned the FSU DL knows the exact moment the ball would be snapped.

FSU had no excuse not to be ready after the 5 min delay.

I agree with all that, but I think part of the reason they called the timeout was so the refs would review if he was out. In retrospect, not the right call. And they likely review that anyway. But I guess I can kind of see what Norvell was thinking in the heat of the moment.

There was another one where they ruled the LSU runner down at the goal line and Kelly went hurry up to catch FSU off guard. Then whistle blew right at the snap to review it. LSU easily scored there without the whistle. The review there would only benefit LSU, and they clearly didn't want a review or they would have slowed down for it. They scored anyway, but why stop that play? They were lined up ready to snap the ball.

It is not going to end well with Kelly! He has this unbelievable ability to get under your skin! LSU is going to lose at least 6 games this season and his seat will be very hot! Not sure of his contract length but he will not see the end of it.

I agree with all that, but I think part of the reason they called the timeout was so the refs would review if he was out. In retrospect, not the right call. And they likely review that anyway. But I guess I can kind of see what Norvell was thinking in the heat of the moment.
No, that timeout is bad. They called a timeout to challenge it.

but the timeout AFTER the challenge is indefensible. They essentially called back to back timeouts with one second left.

No, that timeout is bad. They called a timeout to challenge it.

but the timeout AFTER the challenge is indefensible. They essentially called back to back timeouts with one second left.

I just assumed the first timeout was still in effect after the challenge, since it wouldn't make sense to call another if the first became null and void because of the challenge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT