ADVERTISEMENT

Get out of the Dummy Zone and get real...Read.

pittmeister

Assistant Coach
May 26, 2010
Perspective:

When a thread started about what the final score would be this week, I didn’t bother to post. I honestly felt we were going to get drubbed. As it turned out, I was right… Last year we had the offense to keep up with our bad defense. This year we do not. Our defense is just as bad as it was last year and our offense has finally caught up…

I’m not going to rehash the embarrassing loss or post emotional shortsighted posts. Guys like; PittPoker, TD_istheman, Pittman71, Panther_In_Kentucky have already covered that…

1. I will say that I strongly believe that there will be changes on the staff. I believe that Conklin is a goner. He doesn’t recruit well and the defense has not gotten better. I believe Partridge will take over.

2. QB is EVERYTHING in football, and right now, we don’t have one with any experience. I believe moving forward, Dinucci will hold the position until Pickett and Patti are ready to take over. I’m not sure where McVittie stands. Pickett looked very good in the spring game and Patti has been great in his senior year. They are the future.

Now, I want to focus on the quality of players and recruiting.

Recruiting is not the problem at the moment. Our most gifted players are presently true Freshman, red-shirt Freshman, or Sophomores with little or no playing experience. Then we have upper-class men with little experience playing (Zeise). Some of the kids we have recruited haven’t been able to stay healthy (Hamlin, Coleman,)

Let’s take a look at the recruiting under Narduzzi:

Wannstedt’s 2010 Roster:

Players with 5 or more P5 offers on the roster: 28

Players with 5 or more P5 offers recruited by DW: 28

Players with ZERO P5 offers: 23

Players with ZERO P5 offers recruited by DW: 23

Narduzzi’s 2017 Roster:

Players with 5 or more P5 offers on the roster: 36

Players with 5 or more P5 offers recruited by Narduzzi: 27 (Chryst gets credit for the other 9)

Players with ZERO P5 offers: 19

Players with ZERO P5 offers recruited by Narduzzi: 9 (Chryst gets credit for the other 10)

I won’t bother to post Chryst’s last class, it was a mess and part of the reason we are where we are today.

After two and a half recruiting classes,the quality of recruits has gotten better under Narduzzi, not worse. In the 2018 class, 9 of the 14 commitments also have 5 or more P5 offers. Considering what we will lose and gain on next year’s roster (including Whitehead), we will net 4 more players for a total of 40 players with 5 or more P5 offers.

Now, some of the residents of the Dummy Zone on this board will say; "That's B.S. We need to recruit even better!" If you think we can compete for players with Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson on a consistent basis without cheating, then you are delusional. We can occasionally get players with offers from those kinds of schools, but that’s it.

Under Majors, Sherrill and Wannstedt we weren’t playing the same level of talent as we're now playing in the ACC, so we need to continue this trend and get a higher percentage of those kinds of players.

In summary, it was a bad, embarrassing loss. No doubt. We have a right to be angry and disappointed, but we must be realistic as well. The talent level has gotten better and probably is as good as our 2009 roster. However, it is young and inexperienced and it shows. The lackluster recruiting, and head coach’s leaving has caught up to us. I strongly believe we will see improvement going forward.

Last year at this time, there were serious doubts as to whether Franklin was going to keep his job after getting drubbed by Michigan. As you can see, it can turn around quickly...

Last edited:
Perspective:

When a thread started about what the final score would be this week, I didn’t bother to post. I honestly felt we were going to get drubbed. As it turned out, I was right… Last year we had the offense to keep up with our bad defense. This year we do not. Our defense is just as bad as it was last year and our offense has finally caught up…

I’m not going to rehash the embarrassing loss or post emotional shortsighted posts. Guys like; PittPoker, TD_istheman, Pittman71, Panther_In_Kentucky have already covered that…

1. I will say that I strongly believe that there will be changes on the staff. I believe that Conklin is a goner. He doesn’t recruit well and the defense has not gotten better. I believe Partridge will take over.

2. QB is EVERYTHING in football, and right now, we don’t have one with any experience. I believe moving forward, Dinucci will hold the position until Pickett and Patti are ready to take over. I’m not sure where McVittie stands. Pickett looked very good in the spring game and Patti has been great in his senior year. They are the future.

Recruiting is not the problem at the moment. Our most gifted players are presently true Freshman, red-shirt Freshman, or Sophomores with little or no playing experience. Then we have upper-class men with little experience playing (Zeise). Some of the kids we have recruited haven’t been able to stay healthy (Hamlin, Coleman,)

Wannstedt’s 2010 Roster:

Narduzzi’s 2017 Roster:

Players with 5 or more P5 offers recruited by Narduzzi: 27 (Chryst gets credit for the other 9)

Players with ZERO P5 offers recruited by Narduzzi: 9 (Chryst gets credit for the other 10)

I won’t bother to post Chryst’s last class, it was a mess and part of the reason we are where we are today.

The quality of recruits has gotten better under Narduzzi after two and a half recruiting classes, not worse. He has also 9 of the 14 recruits he has commitments from also have 5 or more P5 offers. Considering what we will lose and gain on next year’s roster (including Whitehead), we will net 4 more players for a total of 40 players with 5 or more P5 offers.

Now, some of the residents of the Dummy Zone on this board will say; "That's B.S. We need to recruit even better!" If you think we can compete for players with Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson on a consistent basis without cheating, then you are delusional. We can occasionally get players with offers from those kinds of schools, but that’s it.

Under Majors, Sherrill and Wannstedt we weren’t playing the same level of talent as we're now playing in the ACC, so we need to continue this trend and get a higher percentage of those kinds of players.

In summary, it was a bad, embarrassing loss. No doubt. We have a right to be angry and disappointed, but we must be realistic as well. The talent level has gotten better and probably is as good as our 2009 roster. However, it is young and inexperienced and it shows. The lackluster recruiting, and head coach’s leaving has caught up to us. I strongly believe we will see improvement going forward.

Last year at this time, there were serious doubts as to whether Franklin was going to keep his job after getting drubbed by Michigan. As you can see, it can turn around quickly...
This team lack's veteran leadership and talent. Pitt lost a lot of this from last year's roster.

Reactions: LivinWell
Good stuff. I for one was rather critical today but won't go as far as to stay Narduzzi should resign/be fired.

I think we are seeing true growing pains. With that being said, I like the young talent. 2 Top-10 loses would be a given for75% of D1 programs.

Today was a shit day all around but I still believe better days are to come.

You're right about the recruiting. But his insistence on staying in this defense when it's clearly not working is asinine.

Understood. However most coaches like Narduzzi only know one way. Great coaches like Meyer and Saban find a way.

Reactions: gary2
Understood. However most coaches like Narduzzi only know one way. Great coaches like Meyer and Saban find a way.
He made he rep as a defensive guy...in a conference who hasn't had a qb drafted in the first round in 22 years.

And his finale was getting exploited by an actual offense against Baylor.

The defense is getting worse every season.
It's year 3.., and we seem even slower and less fundamentally sound.

Alarm bells are ringing

Recruiting has sucked. Period. Keep spinning it, I'm sure Narduzzi is grateful.

QB is EVERYTHING in football, and right now, we don’t have one with any experience. I believe moving forward, Dinucci will hold the position until Pickett and Patti are ready to take over. I’m not sure where McVittie stands.

(Along with so many more of your points) --> But HELLU True this point, and we do have to remember Ben DiNucci was that LAST SECOND flier pickup in Narduzzi's very first class, at the very end of the signing period after he'd only been on the job a month. We all hope that between Kenny Pickett and Nick Patti (both a solid 6'2'' also) Pitt will unearth a stud.

Also -- UNTIL he officially is moved to another position / whatever, I hope 6'5'', 225 Thomas MacVittie can maybe get a shot at some snaps at some point. Never know.

Great, GREAT point also:
He made he rep as a defensive guy...in a conference who hasn't had a qb drafted in the first round in 22 years.

Man --- the ACC has been like the "Cradle of the Qaurterback" !!! Plus, having to face Trace McSorley (not an NFL guy, but a Robert Griffin III, Johnny Manziel "College Hero" QB) and Mason Rudolph out of conference. Jeez -- the ACC QB's we've face my goodness --- forgedda boudit !!!

And back in those Big 10 "Glory Daze" -- when Narduzzi's defense went against Marcus Mariota and his Oregon teams -- they got SHREDDED. Against Ohio State after Meyer got 'em back, they got SHREDDED. It's just that when MSU played their weakie out of conference, and then faced Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, and 7-5 Michigan teams pre-Harbaugh they looked quality --- oh, and MSU in Narduzzi's whole tenure abused Sanction-riddled penn state, and smashed them with Crap-enburg at QB lil' jimmy franklin's first year.

ACC has a ton more speed, and wide-open play week-in, week-out that recquires much more focus on stopping the spread offense --- vs. Narduzzi at MSU was able most weeks just sticking to 4 down lineman, three pass-stuffer LB's, and then 2 corners pressing.

Reactions: pittmeister
Perspective:

Wannstedt’s 2010 Roster:

Narduzzi’s 2017 Roster:

After two and a half recruiting classes,the quality of recruits has gotten better under Narduzzi, not worse. In the 2018 class, 9 of the 14 commitments also have 5 or more P5 offers. Considering what we will lose and gain on next year’s roster (including Whitehead), we will net 4 more players for a total of 40 players with 5 or more P5 offers.

Then Cheat. Everyone else does. If you're not cheating you're not trying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT