ADVERTISEMENT

Going to the College Cup, BABY!!!!!

When is it? Who's the likely opponent?
Indiana will be a significant favorite over Seton Hall today at 5. I haven't seen IU play but they are basically a blue blood playing out of a glorified mid-major soccer conference.

We would be favored over Indiana but after watching SHU/VT, I can't imagine SHU beating us so I'll be rooting for them

Indiana will be a significant favorite over Seton Hall today at 5. I haven't seen IU play but they are basically a blue blood playing out of a glorified mid-major soccer conference.

We would be favored over Indiana but after watching SHU/VT, I can't imagine SHU beating us so I'll be rooting for them
Thanks for the insight! Are the matches this weekend?

Thanks for the insight! Are the matches this weekend?
Friday night is the semi I believe. All the games this year were held in Raleigh due to Covid. I assume it was a bubble type scenario. Someone can correct me. The complex where the game was today also has a large stadium that routinely hosts the college cup. Traditionally the women’s college cup is played there almost every year in the Fall. I assume the 2 semis and the final will be in the stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Friday night is the semi I believe. All the games this year were held in Raleigh due to Covid. I assume it was a bubble type scenario. Someone can correct me. The complex where the game was today also has a large stadium that routinely hosts the college cup. Traditionally the women’s college cup is played there almost every year in the Fall. I assume the last three games will be in the stadium.
All games were in the state of NC with the majority in Cary (Raleigh/Durham area), but there were games in other parts of the state, including Greensboro, Greenville and even Wilmington. It really wasn’t a true bubble like the basketball tourneys. The whole tourney being in NC was more for the ease of scheduling and running the tourneys in a shorter time frame than normal.

The College Cup venue will be the main stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park, which is a very nice facility that probably seats around 6-7k I would guess. The NC Courage of the NWSL play there as does a USL team. The women play their Final 4 at this stadium pretty much every other year.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
All games were in the state of NC with the majority in Cary (Raleigh/Durham area), but there were games in other parts of the state, including Greensboro, Greenville and even Wilmington. It really wasn’t a true bubble like the basketball tourneys. The whole tourney being in NC was more for the ease of scheduling and running the tourneys in a shorter time frame than normal.

The College Cup venue will be the main stadium at WakeMed Soccer Park, which is a very nice facility that probably seats around 6-7k I would guess. The NC Courage of the NWSL play there as does a USL team. The women play their Final 4 at this stadium pretty much every other year.
And am I to assume limited number of fans this weekend? I’d consider going if it were a normal year. But my guess is parents only in the crowd.

And am I to assume limited number of fans this weekend? I’d consider going if it were a normal year. But my guess is parents only in the crowd.
Up to this point, the NCAA was only providing 75 wristbands per team. I assume that changes this weekend because you can control seating and crowd flow easier inside of a brick and mortar facility, but I have not yet heard the plan.

"The committees intend to provide some opportunity for family and friends to attend the championships. They will follow the NCAA Medical Advisory Group guidelines, and the maximum allowable capacity will be 25 percent."

You can buy tickets from the NCAA site. Sahlen Stadium seats 10K so I imagine they allow up the NC capacity limit which has to be at least 50%.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
"The committees intend to provide some opportunity for family and friends to attend the championships. They will follow the NCAA Medical Advisory Group guidelines, and the maximum allowable capacity will be 25 percent."

The least they can do. These families should get to watch the game in person.

Hopefully it will be a great weekend for Pitt.

Is there a link to watch the replay of the game, you no for us non-democrats that actually work to support themselves ?

There is no replay link that I know of, but you might want to try the CBS Sports app, which streamed the NCAA.org feed live.

Meanwhile, on ESPN this weekend, they broadcast repeats of the 2015 NCAA lacrosse tournament and live coverage of the 2021 Patriot League tournament but no time for the 2021 NCAA soccer tournament.

Heather should have fired the soccer coach years ago to spend more on football, obviously.
Football is kind of a waste of time but its soooo easy to win big in basketball so that's where I'd concentrate the resources. Look at who wins in basketball. Heck, 10 years ago, we were a blue blood essentially.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Football is kind of a waste of time but its soooo easy to win big in basketball so that's where I'd concentrate the resources. Look at who wins in basketball. Heck, 10 years ago, we were a blue blood essentially.
Correct. Get rid of the excellent soccer coach to eek out a few more wins in basketball.

Correct. Get rid of the excellent soccer coach to eek out a few more wins in basketball.
No, I wouldn't get rid of the successful Olympic Sport coaches but I wouldn't spend $300 million on a volleyball arena, lacrosse stadium, and study hall.

Pitt needs to fix basketball before investing in Olympic sports. Basketball is a total joke.

No, I wouldn't get rid of the successful Olympic Sport coaches but I wouldn't spend $300 million on a volleyball arena, lacrosse stadium, and study hall.

Pitt needs to fix basketball before investing in Olympic sports. Basketball is a total joke.
That’s a good point.

Ok, so how do they spend that $300 million on basketball?

Ok, so how do they spend that $300 million on basketball?
They are going to have to way way way overpay for their next HC. Instead of spending $300 million for volleyball, I'd pay a new HC $6 million per year along with highly paid assistants. Pitt fans would rather see a winning basketball team than a new volleyball arena. The FH is fine

They are going to have to way way way overpay for their next HC. Instead of spending $300 million for volleyball, I'd pay a new HC $6 million per year along with highly paid assistants. Pitt fans would rather see a winning basketball team than a new volleyball arena. The FH is fine
That's an additional $3 million per year. Pitt is spending $300 million on the facilities. What should they do with the rest of the $297 million to improve basketball?

That's an additional $3 million per year. Pitt is spending $300 million on the facilities. What should they do with the rest of the $297 million to improve basketball?
Suitcases of cash. Seems to work to improve teams.

You can hire Sean Miller. He knows how to administer these suitcases to the right people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT