ADVERTISEMENT

Good Article on the challenges of the ACC going forward

Long and comprehensive. But this is right up Tier 3 Rights expert SMF's alley.

Here's Pitt's Administration interpretation after reading the article:. "Well it's clear what we have to do now, Focus on Basketball !! "

Long and comprehensive. But this is right up Tier 3 Rights expert SMF's alley.

The original sin of the ACC was not going to market back in whatever that was 2008 or whatever. They thought ESPN gave them a good deal but sports rights fees were about to go through the roof so they never got the market rate. Now, because of their stupidity, we are in the ACC as they were allowed to redo the contract if they added 2. A few other tweaks + ACCN helped but not enough.....because they never went to market. If the ACC got to go to market tomorrow, they wouldn't get SEC or Big Ten money but they'd very very easily get more than the Big 12 and Pac 12. The ACC is going to be at a disadvantage until that contract runs out

Agree, definitely underpaid and not commensurate with the tv ratings ACC gets.

this is turning into a european soccer model. the premier leauge gets most of it's revenue from tv. that'll be the SEC and big ten. i don't think there's a good answer here unelss the ACC decides that it will overpay for the best coaches and recruiters in order to maximize wins. b/c the revenue is not coming from more seats sold or tv ratings unless the wins pile up.

I think his background in the Big 10 will help him as commissioner of the ACC. He h
He has to get that ACC Network contract done over, or if not, Clemson, Florida State may bolt, although the Grant of Rights may keep them in place. Getting everyone to sign the Grant of Rights was a good thing from John Swofford

He has to get that ACC Network contract done over, or if not, Clemson, Florida State may bolt, although the Grant of Rights may keep them in place. Getting everyone to sign the Grant of Rights was a good thing from John Swofford
Comcast will sign around September of this year. That has been the date since launch and said numerous times.

Well his background at Northwestern will be very valuable to understand the needs and issues at programs like: Boston College, Pitt, Duke, Wake, GT, Miami especially. Either small, and/or urban schools, some with unique academic challenges, that makes these schools different than a Clemson, Florida State, VT, UNC, NC State and Louisville.

Hopefully, we can get this ACCN/Comcast thing resolved and that starts to drive more eyeballs on the league. It's hard to grow when most of the games are streaming. Yes kiddies, I realize in 10 years, this may be flipped, but we aren't there yet.

I agree wut
Well his background at Northwestern will be very valuable to understand the needs and issues at programs like: Boston College, Pitt, Duke, Wake, GT, Miami especially. Either small, and/or urban schools, some with unique academic challenges, that makes these schools different than a Clemson, Florida State, VT, UNC, NC State and Louisville.

Hopefully, we can get this ACCN/Comcast thing resolved and that starts to drive more eyeballs on the league. It's hard to grow when most of the games are streaming. Yes kiddies, I realize in 10 years, this may be flipped, but we aren't there yet.
I totally agree with this. Another reason his Big 10 background will be helpful, is because he knows what their insiders are thinking as they are coming to the end of their tv contracts. He knows who they may target if they decide to expand. He knows who they may try to steal from the ACC.

I agree wut

I totally agree with this. Another reason his Big 10 background will be helpful, is because he knows what their insiders are thinking as they are coming to the end of their tv contracts. He knows who they may target if they decide to expand. He knows who they may try to steal from the ACC.
I doubt there is more conference expansion (aside from Notre Dame) simply because, especially with the Big 10, I don't know who brings even more rev potential that would be worth the current members further divyying up the pot.

I think the next step will be a complete restructuring of college football that will blow up all the existing conferences and create a super league.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
I doubt there is more conference expansion (aside from Notre Dame) simply because, especially with the Big 10, I don't know who brings even more rev potential that would be worth the current members further divyying up the pot.

I think the next step will be a complete restructuring of college football that will blow up all the existing conferences and create a super league.
That is one theory out there. Another one is they may take all 120 FBS schools and make 10 conferences of 12 teams each. All the old conferences would no longer exist. Under this proposal, I have seen examples of an Eastern Conference being reestablished, bringing home schools who are now in midwestern, southern conferences to where they should be geographically and rivalry wise. Any realignment will not just be to tinker around the edges. Look for this to happen by around 2025, when the Big 10, Big 12,, the PAC 12, and Notre Dame tv contracts are up between 2022 through 2025. The SEC and ACC contracts are up in 2033-34 and 2036-37. This will also be tied into an expanded college playoff system, I think a new playoff system may go as high as 12 teams. I think there will be less minor bowls, which is a good thing.

That is one theory out there. Another one is they may take all 120 FBS schools and make 10 conferences of 12 teams each. All the old conferences would no longer exist. Under this proposal, I have seen examples of an Eastern Conference being reestablished, bringing home schools who are now in midwestern, southern conferences to where they should be geographically and rivalry wise. Any realignment will not just be to tinker around the edges. Look for this to happen by around 2025, when the Big 10, Big 12,, the PAC 12, and Notre Dame tv contracts are up between 2022 through 2025. The SEC and ACC contracts are up in 2033-34 and 2036-37. This will also be tied into an expanded college playoff system, I think a new playoff system may go as high as 12 teams. I think there will be less minor bowls, which is a good thing.
Only way you get teams agreeing to move out of their conference and their TV deals is if you level revenue and I'm going to bet the schools that swing the biggest sticks say no. Imagine a world where Texas allows Texas State to operate with the same revenue. LOL

Reactions: ThePanthers
I don't think that is going to happen. No sign, absolutely none that the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the world want to share with lower end schools. None. Not trying to be rude, but I think your geographic based dream conferences are just a complete pipedream as we have seen these conference pillage from all over the country. I can see this more for non revenue sports though. But especially for football, and to a lesser part basketball, no way. Especially for football. I can even see the cut on the super conference leaving out schools like Wake, Vandy, Duke, etc...and if it is Super Duper, yes schools like Pitt and Syracuse also.

I always say college football is mostly a "red state" phenomena, and those in decidedly blue areas for the most part have NFL franchises and that is the divide. Regardless if they are WVU alums or not, most football fans there are WVU fans first, then Steelers or other pro teams second. In Harrisburg and central and rural PA, they are PSU fans first and Steelers and Eagles fans second. In Pittsburgh, they are Steelers fans first. In Atlanta, they are either UGa or Falcon fans first. Dallas is Cowboys fans over TCU. It's just a reality.

But on the positive, it is good to have a guy in charge of the ACC now coming from Northwestern, who obviously has the same challenges as Pitt, Miami, GT, BC, so perhaps he can help and work to mitigate these issues.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
Regional conferences would be a terrible outcome for Northern schools.

Reactions: pittdan77

I want to touch further on this since I am channeling my inner SMF and am basically between jobs right now so I don't have to do anything.

People get this fear of the SEC poaching Clemson and Florida State. What would those two bring revenue wise, to justify the SEC doing this to their member schools who know have 2 more mouths to feed from their pool? It ain't happening.

As I said, ND maybe for the ACC or Big 10, sure. That's the only play. Maybe a Texas for the Pac 12 or Big 10, but again who else? Most of the conference expansions have been relatively "meh" to outright disastrous. And now, with conventional viewing habits changing (cable vs streaming) the former model that most of these expansion/raids was based on is on its way out. So....this dream of continued reshuffling isn't going to happen.

The next change will be epic (if it happens) and will completely blow up the NCAA model and current football landscape. Again, if (likely when) but if it happens. And Pitt is likely not a good side of this, maybe, maybe not. But aside from ND, there likely will be no more of these conference shuffles.

I want to touch further on this since I am channeling my inner SMF and am basically between jobs right now so I don't have to do anything.

People get this fear of the SEC poaching Clemson and Florida State. What would those two bring revenue wise, to justify the SEC doing this to their member schools who know have 2 more mouths to feed from their pool? It ain't happening.

As I said, ND maybe for the ACC or Big 10, sure. That's the only play. Maybe a Texas for the Pac 12 or Big 10, but again who else? Most of the conference expansions have been relatively "meh" to outright disastrous. And now, with conventional viewing habits changing (cable vs streaming) the former model that most of these expansion/raids was based on is on its way out. So....this dream of continued reshuffling isn't going to happen.

The next change will be epic (if it happens) and will completely blow up the NCAA model and current football landscape. Again, if (likely when) but if it happens. And Pitt is likely not a good side of this, maybe, maybe not. But aside from ND, there likely will be no more of these conference shuffles.
The Big 12 is the most vulnerable but even still, I dont see any P5 teams moving conferences for a long while. The only possibility that exists is a raid of the Big 12.

Texas to ACC (with ND Independent deal)
Oklahoma and TCU to SEC
OKST and TT to Pac 12

Baylor, Kansas, KST, Iowa State, WVU add Houston, Colorado State, Memphis, UCF, USF, Boise State, Cincy

The Big 12 is the most vulnerable but even still, I dont see any P5 teams moving conferences for a long while. The only possibility that exists is a raid of the Big 12.

Texas to ACC (with ND Independent deal)
Oklahoma and TCU to SEC
OKST and TT to Pac 12

Baylor, Kansas, KST, Iowa State, WVU add Houston, Colorado State, Memphis, UCF, USF, Boise State, Cincy
But honestly, revenue wise, what would the SEC gain by TCU and OU to justify slicing the pie up by 2 more teams? Neither moves the needle. They already have A&M and Mizzou. OU might have a bigger following than Mizzou, might, but Oklahoma is a relatively small state shared by OSU.

These fantasies about the Big12 breaking up are nonsense. They might see their revenue increases stop or reverse a little with the new TV deal but it's all just wishful nonsense. Texas is the Big12 and they have absolutely nothing to gain from letting the conference fail.

ACC meetings notes:

As Phillips presides over his first ACC spring meetings this week, there’s no mistaking his priorities. “It’s not at the expense of other sports. ... But who eats first? It’s football.”

Half of the six females leading Power Five athletic departments will work in the ACC as King joins #UVA's Carla Williams and Pitt's Heather Lyke.

Week 1: Clemson-Georgia in Charlotte 7:30 Saturday kick on ABC. FSU hosts Notre Dame on Sunday at 7:30 on ABC. Louisville-Ole Miss in Atlanta on Labor Day, 8 p.m., on ESPN.

Phillips told his audiences in Blacksburg and Charlottesville that he believes ESPN/Disney, the conference’s partner in the ACC Network, likely will strike a carriage agreement by September with cable behemoth Xfinity/Comcast.

On the future of ACC football divisions, which were not missed during the ACC’s COVID contingency plan last fall: “We have started to at least begin conversations. Especially for me being new to the conference, how did we get to divisions? How did we get to eight games? Is, long-term, divisions the right thing? Is eight games the right thing? … I think we have to be open to all of that as we look forward.”

ACC meetings notes:

As Phillips presides over his first ACC spring meetings this week, there’s no mistaking his priorities. “It’s not at the expense of other sports. ... But who eats first? It’s football.”

Half of the six females leading Power Five athletic departments will work in the ACC as King joins #UVA's Carla Williams and Pitt's Heather Lyke.

Week 1: Clemson-Georgia in Charlotte 7:30 Saturday kick on ABC. FSU hosts Notre Dame on Sunday at 7:30 on ABC. Louisville-Ole Miss in Atlanta on Labor Day, 8 p.m., on ESPN.

Phillips told his audiences in Blacksburg and Charlottesville that he believes ESPN/Disney, the conference’s partner in the ACC Network, likely will strike a carriage agreement by September with cable behemoth Xfinity/Comcast.

On the future of ACC football divisions, which were not missed during the ACC’s COVID contingency plan last fall: “We have started to at least begin conversations. Especially for me being new to the conference, how did we get to divisions? How did we get to eight games? Is, long-term, divisions the right thing? Is eight games the right thing? … I think we have to be open to all of that as we look forward.”

I think the Division thing will help the perception of the ACC. If you can have truly the two best teams in the conference playing for the ACC championship, it will be for the best.

I think the Division thing will help the perception of the ACC. If you can have truly the two best teams in the conference playing for the ACC championship, it will be for the best.
The reason I like Divisions is because I hate the idea of, say, a 6-2 team who finished 2nd and lost to an 8-0 team in the regular season, going to Charlotte and beating that 8-0 team in a 1 game playoff. They finished a clear #2 in the regular season so what was the need for the extra game? At least with divisions, you have to win your division to make the ACCCG. So you have a matchup of 2 Division Champs.

I still think the best breakdown is:

ACC Metro
BC
Pitt
Syr
Lou
GT
Miami
FSU

ACC Central
UVa
VT
UNC
NC St
Wake
Duke
Clemson

No crossover games. 2 games per year vs other division

This is an underappreciated comment. Schools like Pitt would lose their southern recruiting toeholds overnight. It would turn into an all out recruiting war for the scraps PSU leaves in NJ, MD-DC, and eastern PA.

Under Duzz that's what it feels like now, just saying.

FSU , MIAMI, CLEMSON need to try and get out to join the SEC , other than Clemson, as they always have been a big boy team. ACC is not good for football schools, as most don't care to even win after those three, hurts league perception

Last edited:
I don't think that is going to happen. No sign, absolutely none that the Alabama's and Ohio State's of the world want to share with lower end schools. None. Not trying to be rude, but I think your geographic based dream conferences are just a complete pipedream as we have seen these conference pillage from all over the country. I can see this more for non revenue sports though. But especially for football, and to a lesser part basketball, no way. Especially for football. I can even see the cut on the super conference leaving out schools like Wake, Vandy, Duke, etc...and if it is Super Duper, yes schools like Pitt and Syracuse also.

I always say college football is mostly a "red state" phenomena, and those in decidedly blue areas for the most part have NFL franchises and that is the divide. Regardless if they are WVU alums or not, most football fans there are WVU fans first, then Steelers or other pro teams second. In Harrisburg and central and rural PA, they are PSU fans first and Steelers and Eagles fans second. In Pittsburgh, they are Steelers fans first. In Atlanta, they are either UGa or Falcon fans first. Dallas is Cowboys fans over TCU. It's just a reality.

But on the positive, it is good to have a guy in charge of the ACC now coming from Northwestern, who obviously has the same challenges as Pitt, Miami, GT, BC, so perhaps he can help and work to mitigate these issues.
I get your point about a fan's internal pecking order because, although City born and raised in the shadow of a still mill, I am a Pitt fan first and Steeler fan second. Things morphed that way as I attended far more Pitt games in my younger years. And once you cast your lot with a favorite, that allegience becomes part of you, for better or worse.

Under Duzz that's what it feels like now, just saying.
You really missed the point. Pitt is doing well enough in FL and GA to replace that. Even Norfolk/VB has become a bit of a pipeline. An all eastern conference kills that and there isn't much to fight over in the "local" market. Heck, even PSU missed out on some very well regarded kids in their traditional hotbeds last year.

There isn’t much need for further conference reshuffling. The next transition for college football is going to work against the bottom teams of the current conference structure. For example, Clemson isn’t content with its current monetary situation. That is going to change. They will make more money relative to their conference mates.

Take your eye off the ball. The days of intra-conference equality are numbered. Too many people are caught up in conference reshuffling as if teams like BC, Wake Forest and Purdue (and many others) are going to benefit as they did in the early 2010s.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT