ADVERTISEMENT

GT at Pitt

When they came all the way back from 7-0 down to tie it I thought for sure they were going to win it.

And then our relief pitching reared it's ugly head again.
They gave up 1 run in what, 3 innings? You take that, right?

How bout Pitt giving up 20 runs in 2 innings? 14 in 9th vs PSU and 6 in 1st vs GT. Gilbertson was fantastic the rest of the game though.

By the way, I went down tonight. Tonight they didn't have to worry about how bad the relief pitching was. And it was really, really bad.

I stayed all the way until the end, because I have been going to baseball games for over 50 years and I can't remember seeing a team score that many runs in a game I was at before (maybe Little League, but I'm not counting that). And on the other side they made a guy who came in with an ERA of just a hair under six look like Pedro Martinez. Not only have I never seen a team score 19 runs before, I've never seen a team strike out 18 times in a game before.

With the way that Gilbertson and Corcoran have pitched the last two weekends, I wonder if they are running out of gas from throwing so many pitches. Gilbertson threw 82 pitches his first game of the season and has thrown at least 86 in every game since. He's been over 90 in nine of his last ten (I'm making an assumption on the Clemson game based on innings pitched and number of strikeouts). Before tonight Corcoran had thrown at least 83 pitches in every game. In his last eight before tonight he was only under 94 once, and that was an 84.

We've been riding those two guys hard, and maybe it's catching up to them.

By the way, I went down tonight. Tonight they didn't have to worry about how bad the relief pitching was. And it was really, really bad.

I stayed all the way until the end, because I have been going to baseball games for over 50 years and I can't remember seeing a team score that many runs in a game I was at before (maybe Little League, but I'm not counting that). And on the other side they made a guy who came in with an ERA of just a hair under six look like Pedro Martinez. Not only have I never seen a team score 19 runs before, I've never seen a team strike out 18 times in a game before.

With the way that Gilbertson and Corcoran have pitched the last two weekends, I wonder if they are running out of gas from throwing so many pitches. Gilbertson threw 82 pitches his first game of the season and has thrown at least 86 in every game since. He's been over 90 in nine of his last ten (I'm making an assumption on the Clemson game based on innings pitched and number of strikeouts). Before tonight Corcoran had thrown at least 83 pitches in every game. In his last eight before tonight he was only under 94 once, and that was an 84.

Unfortunately it sure looks like we are running on fumes as a team.

Agree with your last sentence.

All kidding aside, I think we really miss Oakes

Any idea on why the split?

Agree with your last sentence.

All kidding aside, I think we really miss Oakes

Any idea on why the split?
We lack pitching talent. That’s the problem. Bell’s background is as a pitcher and pitching coach. You only have so many coaching spots and money, and Bell calls the pitches.

We lack pitching talent. That’s the problem. Bell’s background is as a pitcher and pitching coach. You only have so many coaching spots and money, and Bell calls the pitches.
Oakes was on Bell’s staff. You happy with who replaced him for one of those coaching spots and money?

Oakes is at Elon. you think they out bid us?

We lack pitching talent.

Understatement of the year!

:D

Seriously though, these guys just can't throw strikes. If you can't throw strikes when you are losing 11-0 or 15-2, when are you going to throw strikes?

And not only that, but you had a guy like Dragani who pitched to ten batters, walked three and hit one. He threw 25 strikes and 25 balls. If you told me I had to make a bet, over or under, did more than half of those balls bounce before they got to the catcher, I've got the over for whatever amount you need me to put down. When you are throwing balls that are bouncing six inches in front of home plate not only are you not throwing strikes, you aren't even throwing something close enough to a strike that someone might swing at it.

I'm imagining that Tatem Levins had to go soak in an ice bath after the game for the number of pitches that he had to throw his body in front of to block. It is amazing with the number of balls that Pitt pitchers threw in the, well, not dirt, but rubber pellets, that Pitt only had two wild pitches.

And by the way, I think someone at Pitt is trolling me. They gave away the 4th and final pack of baseball cards at the game tonight (it's the only one that I got). There were nine cards in the pack. Six of them were relief pitchers!

🤔

Bell has hired an assistant every year to replace the assistant from the previous year since Oakes left.

Not exactly working out, is it?

How many tournaments did we make with Oakes on the staff?
I think he was the pitching coach? Thought we were talking about the pitching.

So that people know who we are talking about:

I think he was the pitching coach? Thought we were talking about the pitching.

So that people know who we are talking about:

You are the one that keeps bringing up Oakes. I don’t think he moves the needle as much as you do. What was our record when he was here? Elon has been .500 since he arrived.

You are the one that keeps bringing up Oakes. I don’t think he moves the needle as much as you do. What was our record when he was here? Elon has been .500 since he arrived.
Oscar Marin could move the needle on this pitching staff.

Oscar Marin could move the needle on this pitching staff.

How so?

I mean I'm not saying that it's not possible that Oakes (or someone else for that matter) couldn't make a difference, I'm saying how do you know that it simply isn't that some of these guys just aren't good enough to pitch at this level? That no amount of coaching is going to turn them into decent D1 level pitchers. You are so sure that the problem is coaching and not talent, so what I am asking is how have you arrived at that position?

How so?

I mean I'm not saying that it's not possible that Oakes (or someone else for that matter) couldn't make a difference, I'm saying how do you know that it simply isn't that some of these guys just aren't good enough to pitch at this level? That no amount of coaching is going to turn them into decent D1 level pitchers. You are so sure that the problem is coaching and not talent, so what I am asking is how have you arrived at that position?
In pointing out that the loss of Oates is palpable, I am not saying it is all coaching.

I do think anybody can coach this bunch better than they are being coached. I do think Oakes has a history of developing pitchers. Check the linked bio.

I do think the greatest difference he could make with regard to this bunch was giving his opinion during the recruiting process.

It is easier to coach players if you recruit something you can work with.

Pitching recruiting has been beyond horrible.

Any comment on 3 new coaches replacing one another? That can’t be good. Might be happening again.

Another meltdown today. Second year in a row down the stretch. What is the answer? I know we have an unreliable bullpen but this is getting to be unacceptable.

Reactions: gary2
Another meltdown today. Second year in a row down the stretch. What is the answer? I know we have an unreliable bullpen but this is getting to be unacceptable.
The injuries to position players were extremely unfortunate.

There is no excuse for this pitching staff. Neither assistant is a pitching coach. It has become quite obvious Bell can not be both manager and pitching coach.

For the fourth year in a row we have to part ways with the assistant not named Megahee

This time hire a pitching coach.

Reactions: W1np1tt
My opinion is Bell uses the starters for too many innings throughout the year especially the top two, they are out of gas by the end of the year. Now you could argue that he had no choice based on the performance of the bullpen, but that goes back on his recruiting of pitching

My opinion is Bell uses the starters for too many innings throughout the year especially the top two, they are out of gas by the end of the year. Now you could argue that he had no choice based on the performance of the bullpen, but that goes back on his recruiting of pitching
Agree

We need to hire an assistant coach with good recruiting connections to help solve the pitching issues. The lack of talent with this staff is the main problem.

Reactions: gary2
We need to hire an assistant coach with good recruiting connections to help solve the pitching issues. The lack of talent with this staff is the main problem.
I believe part of the reason the current 2 assistants are in place is supposed recruiting prowess?

I do think anybody can coach this bunch better than they are being coached.

Ah, the old "it can't be any worse" line.

Which is pretty much always wrong. I mean they could hire me to be the pitching coach! I can almost guarantee that would be worse!

As to replacing assistant coaches every year, I can't imagine that someone who follows college athletics as much as you do thinks that there is something odd or unusual about assistant coaches moving on on a pretty regular basis. That doesn't mean that it isn't possible that there is something going on, but if there is no one here knows anything about it.

Not everything is some grand conspiracy. Sometimes things actually are the way that they appear to be.

Reactions: ThePanthers
By my calculations Pitt is the 11 seed in a pod with Louisville as the 2 and Georgia Tech as the 7. Ugh being in a pod with Georgia Tech.

That is correct.

We could have been as high as the sixth seed if the results of this weekend had gone a little differently.

Game times will be released sometime tomorrow morning. I don't understand why they don't give the top three seeds the first three games of the tournament as a reward for their regular season play. That would ensure that if they made it to the semifinals they would have the maximum rest possible for their pitchers.

Ah, the old "it can't be any worse" line.

Which is pretty much always wrong. I mean they could hire me to be the pitching coach! I can almost guarantee that would be worse!

As to replacing assistant coaches every year, I can't imagine that someone who follows college athletics as much as you do thinks that there is something odd or unusual about assistant coaches moving on on a pretty regular basis. That doesn't mean that it isn't possible that there is something going on, but if there is no one here knows anything about it.

Not everything is some grand conspiracy. Sometimes things actually are the way that they appear to be.
It is a “conspiracy” to suggest our pitching might benefit from a dedicated pitching coach?

A grand one?

Roger that

Last edited:
It is a “conspiracy” to suggest our pitching might benefit from a dedicated pitching coach?

No, it's a conspiracy to suggest that college assistant coaches moving on to someplace else on a fairly regular basis is a sign of a problem, even though you have absolutely no evidence what so ever of even the hint of a problem.

We play the first game of the tournament on Tuesday morning at 11:00. Against Georgia Tech.

Because the ACC is conspiring against us. Obviously.

We then play Louisville in the first game on Wednesday at 11:00. Which means that rather than a conspiracy, somehow we actually probably got the absolute best draw possible.

No, it's a conspiracy to suggest that college assistant coaches moving on to someplace else on a fairly regular basis is a sign of a problem, even though you have absolutely no evidence what so ever of even the hint of a problem.
I think you are the conspiracy nut here.

My guess is they were let go because of head coach dissatisfaction. Period.

Our pitching has sucked. We have no dedicated pitching coach. Three consecutive years changing the coach not named Megahee.

No conspiracy, just the facts.

I think you are the conspiracy nut here.

My guess is they were let go because of head coach dissatisfaction. Period.

You're probably right. The guy who makes up theories on why everything happened absent any evidence at all as to why they happened is the normal one. The guy who doesn't really care why every little thing happened is the conspiracy nut.

The sad thing is, you surely believe that to be true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT