ADVERTISEMENT

Hamlin

Interesting...PN said they are trying to get a 5th year for Hamlin since he played less than 4 games his Frosh year. Hamlin was sitting next to PN when he said it so seems he wants it. Don’t know if he will get it but would love to have him back.

This would be awesome!!! Ford fasho stays if this happens as well H2P

Interesting...PN said they are trying to get a 5th year for Hamlin since he played less than 4 games his Frosh year. Hamlin was sitting next to PN when he said it so seems he wants it. Don’t know if he will get it but would love to have him back.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimHammett/status/1210430860610228224

Had not heard anything about the 4 games rule being retroactive? If true am thinking this would affect a lot of players throughout the country.

Agree, I doubt he gets the extra year although I hope he does. If this was Ohio St, he certainly would be granted the extra year though.

Would be great. He's worked hard to make himself into a good player. Maybe with another year he could be an NFL prospect ( if he isn't already).

Hamlin could use another year for his NFL prospects. He was starting to look like a good player this year, but needs to become more polished at the position. If he doesn't get it, I hope to see some NFL team give him a chance.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
grossly over rated. and that stunt he pulled in the end zone was a disgrace to team discipline.

It wasn't a good penalty obviously but this is an overreaction. He has been a good team player his whole career from all indications. One mistake doesn't define him.

And I actually agree he is a little overrated. I wouldn't say grossly overrated though. He struggles in one on one coverage.

Had not heard anything about the 4 games rule being retroactive? If true am thinking this would affect a lot of players throughout the country.

Yeah, if they give him a fifth season then they are going to basically change the rule again to make it retroactive for everyone, because there are at least dozens of guys in similar situations.

I think Damar's case is a lot different than someone like Kenny's (when discussing the 4 game rule) because Damar had legitimate injuries and time missed during his true freshman year. He was injured both before and after he played and played under 3-4 games. People forget how badly he was a hurt for really over a year or two (it lingered from HS).

When utilizing the medical redshirt rule(s) and the 5-6th year, the NCAA at times, even in the distant past, has been lenient in certain cases. Damar's situation really falls into something that they would have always considered for another year of eligibility because his injury situation was persistent and likely has a ton of documentation. He also did not play many games as noted.

I would guess his situation has only a few handfuls of players around the country that can say the same. I cannot remember another Pitt player in the recent past that truly had a similar situation. Maybe Shocky but he was a lot more healthy and available than Damar was (he also played solidly more games).

Kenny, on the other hand, probably has a lot in common with a lot more guys. He was always healthy, some injuries happened, and he basically had to play later in the year/took a few nothing reps for a game or two. I doubt he really has a case to get his 5th year, unless the NCAA wants to open the doors massively.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
When will the decision be made if he gets the fifth year or not?

Knowing how the NCAA operates, it'll be in 2021 haha...
Obviously not, but would hope it can be like early 2020 or so. Blue bloods always get the benefit of the doubt, Justin Fields, Martell and others, while teams like Pitt don't.

Reactions: msarneso
I think Damar's case is a lot different than someone like Kenny's (when discussing the 4 game rule) because Damar had legitimate injuries and time missed during his true freshman year. He was injured both before and after he played and played under 3-4 games. People forget how badly he was a hurt for really over a year or two (it lingered from HS).

When utilizing the medical redshirt rule(s) and the 5-6th year, the NCAA at times, even in the distant past, has been lenient in certain cases. Damar's situation really falls into something that they would have always considered for another year of eligibility because his injury situation was persistent and likely has a ton of documentation. He also did not play many games as noted.

I would guess his situation has only a few handfuls of players around the country that can say the same. I cannot remember another Pitt player in the recent past that truly had a similar situation. Maybe Shocky but he was a lot more healthy and available than Damar was (he also played solidly more games).

Kenny, on the other hand, probably has a lot in common with a lot more guys. He was always healthy, some injuries happened, and he basically had to play later in the year/took a few nothing reps for a game or two. I doubt he really has a case to get his 5th year, unless the NCAA wants to open the doors massively.

- The NCAA has stated that the 4 game rule started last season is not retroactive, so Hamlin is not going to qualify for an extra year under that rule.

- By the letter of the rule, Hamlin does not meet the criteria for a Hardship Waiver (medical redshirt) as the 3 games he played his freshman year were all in the second half of the season.

- However, you do not apply to the NCAA for a medical redshirt, you apply to the conference (ACC obviously in Pitt's case) and the conference decides whether you get the medical redshirt or not ...... if the conference denies the medical redshirt, the decision can be appealed to the "Committee on Student Athlete Reinstatement" (which is independent from the conference) and that committee has the power to overturn the conference's decision and grant the waiver if they feel there are circumstances that warrant relief from the strict waiver criteria.

- Therefore, I suspect Pitt will or has applied to the ACC for a medical redshirt for Hamlin and I would think it would be denied by the ACC because he doesn't meet the strict criteria for the hardship waiver ...... if so, Pitt could then appeal to the Committee on Student Athlete Reinstatement to see if they will grant the waiver despite Hamlin not meeting the criteria for a medical redshirt based on the overall circumstances of his situation as a freshman.

- The NCAA has stated that the 4 game rule started last season is not retroactive, so Hamlin is not going to qualify for an extra year under that rule.

- By the letter of the rule, Hamlin does not meet the criteria for a Hardship Waiver (medical redshirt) as the 3 games he played his freshman year were all in the second half of the season.

- However, you do not apply to the NCAA for a medical redshirt, you apply to the conference (ACC obviously in Pitt's case) and the conference decides whether you get the medical redshirt or not ...... if the conference denies the medical redshirt, the decision can be appealed to the "Committee on Student Athlete Reinstatement" (which is independent from the conference) and that committee has the power to overturn the conference's decision and grant the waiver if they feel there are circumstances that warrant relief from the strict waiver criteria.

- Therefore, I suspect Pitt will or has applied to the ACC for a medical redshirt for Hamlin and I would think it would be denied by the ACC because he doesn't meet the strict criteria for the hardship waiver ...... if so, Pitt could then appeal to the Committee on Student Athlete Reinstatement to see if they will grant the waiver despite Hamlin not meeting the criteria for a medical redshirt based on the overall circumstances of his situation as a freshman.
So, basically, no shot in hell this gets done??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT