ADVERTISEMENT

Hard to believe, the last time Pitt won the Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy was 1980 as the best team in the east.

Very excited. I have always wanted to win that thing. We actually had a shot in 2015 and lost to Navy in the bowl game- a win there would would sealed it that season, too.

But at this point it's clinched.

Reactions: Saboteur II
Joe Paterno lived for that trophy.

Pitt going 20 years without winning it just shows what a bunch of total idiots the Pitt athletic administration has been. That era seems to mercifully be behind us!

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
After he changed his underwear, he made sure that Dartmouth and every other Ivy League school never won it again….. :)
Dartmouth went 9-0 with six shutouts. SIX, including the last five games. They walloped Paterno's Brownies, 42-14. Dartmouth allowed just 52 points on the season.... Penn State was 7-3 and lost to its only two significant opponents, Wisconsin and Colorado. Paterno challenged the Green, but they replied, Hey we already beat the REAL Harvard. Shaddup already.

If Cincinnati is eligible for it -- as someone posted above -- they will get it over Pitt, IMHO.
Why not? They have overachieved while we have historically underachieved. There is one very good reason we have waited so long do win this mythical championship. We were not good often enough to be in contention.

If Cincinnati is eligible for it -- as someone posted above -- they will get it over Pitt, IMHO.
Just looked it up, Cincy isn't eligible since there was an exemption for Big East teams and the Big East is dead football wise. The rule was a team had to play half their schedule against teams from the Northeast, Cincy only played two teams that were eligible for the trophy(Temple & Navy).

1970 Dartmouth over 1970 PSU that is a joke
Did you know that
Dartmouth went 9-0 with six shutouts. SIX, including the last five games. They walloped Paterno's Brownies, 42-14. Dartmouth allowed just 52 points on the season.... Penn State was 7-3 and lost to its only two significant opponents, Wisconsin and Colorado. Paterno challenged the Green, but they replied, Hey we already beat the REAL Harvard. Shaddup already.
They also lost at home to Syracuse.

They are not eligible because they are not in the Big East, which no longer exists. That was the loophole before that allowed Miami to get it; the Big East rule allowed them to qualify if they played a majority of their games against teams in NY, NJ, PA, MD, VA, WV, and New England or "other Big East conference opponents".

Any word on this? Do they still give it out?
Are we eligible for it? I believe the ECAC is who gives the award out. I looked at the ECAC website and they announced their all-ECAC team ... Jahan Dotson was player of the year, Malik Willis was first team QB. So for whatever reason Pitt has no players on the all-ECAC team. Pickett and Addison would have been ahead of Dotson and Willis. I guess we are not part of the ECAC? In which case it would seem we wouldn't be eligible for the Lambert Trophy unless we played enough northeastern teams, and I'm not sure we do anymore.

Are we eligible for it? I believe the ECAC is who gives the award out. I looked at the ECAC website and they announced their all-ECAC team ... Jahan Dotson was player of the year, Malik Willis was first team QB. So for whatever reason Pitt has no players on the all-ECAC team. Pickett and Addison would have been ahead of Dotson and Willis. I guess we are not part of the ECAC? In which case it would seem we wouldn't be eligible for the Lambert Trophy unless we played enough northeastern teams, and I'm not sure we do anymore.
The ECAC includes schools from Virginia?

Live look at the annual team selection meeting. Doesn't look good for Pitt.

download.jpg

Here's the link -- https://ecacsports.com/news/2021/12...i-fbs-football-all-ecac-and-major-awards.aspx. The ECAC 2021 FBS all conference team has players from PSU, Temple, Rutgers, Syracuse, Navy, Army, and Liberty. No Pitt, BC, UConn, UMass, Buffalo, or WVU players. If you go back a few years, you can find players from Pitt, BC, UConn and UMass at least. For example, Avonte Maddox was the defensive player of the year for 2017.

Like I said, maybe you have to play enough teams from the Northeast? Syracuse played Rutgers out of conference, so maybe that was enough to get them in but the other ACC schools (Pitt and BC) didn't play enough northeastern schools? I see that both BC and Pitt played UMass though, so I don't know.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT