ADVERTISEMENT

Heather

NCPitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Mar 12, 2009
"With the onset of the offseason, we will work together to thoroughly evaluate each aspect of our program, on and off the field, so that we can begin competing for ACC titles again."

Told y'all.

As she should, in my opinion. What type of message does it send to potential coaching hires if they’re canned after one bad season only two years removed from a major conference championship? Whether the buyout was a hinderance or not, I think he’s earned the opportunity to work it out.

"With the onset of the offseason, we will work together to thoroughly evaluate each aspect of our program, on and off the field, so that we can begin competing for ACC titles again."

Told y'all.

uh, I was saying this for awhile, even before this post on Saturday

As she should, in my opinion. What type of message does it send to potential coaching hires if they’re canned after one bad season only two years removed from a major conference championship? Whether the buyout was a hinderance or not, I think he’s earned the opportunity to work it out.
That if you hire absolute duds on your staff -
Your job is at risk ?

Jimbo and Ed orgeron actually won national championships and were fired

Reactions: 303vND

we're not talking 5-7 bad, we're talking potentially 2-10 disaster. I thought Foge should have been fired after his 3-7-1 campaign and this season while not as bad is pretty close (Foge achieved that mark while having the #2 & #4 players selected in the NFL draft that year. This team has nowhere near the talent Foge had at his disposal).

So yeah, he has earned the chance to try and turn this around, but that seat has to be pretty darn warm next year.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
That if you hire absolute duds on your staff -
Your job is at risk ?

Jimbo and Ed orgeron actually won national championships and were fired
His seat should absolutely be warm, but he deserves a chance to correct course. Instead of paying about $50M+ when it’s all said and done for HCPN’s buyout, coaching staff buyouts, new head coach and staff, they should invest the money they do have available in upgrading the coaching staff and bringing in the best possible offensive coordinator. That will make-or-break Narduzzi’s tenure.

LSU and FSU boosters have no issues dropping 💰 in order to further the program. There’s no comparison.

Actually one of FSU's big problems is that their boosters don't donate nearly as much as you would think that they do. In fact when Jimbo left FSU he made comments of that very nature, that it was exceeding hard to win there because they didn't have the financial support that the top programs in the country have.

Actually one of FSU's big problems is that their boosters don't donate nearly as much as you would think that they do. In fact when Jimbo left FSU he made comments of that very nature, that it was exceeding hard to win there because they didn't have the financial support that the top programs in the country have.
It looks like Jimbo was the problem because their NIL Machine is rolling right now and so is their team.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Nobody is saying that Narduzzi should be fired after this season. However, he needs to put his ego and arrogance aside and above all get out of his comfort zone when it comes to coaching hires.

If left to his own devices, he will hire the same type of coaches that he is comfortable with. That is a Big Ten type offense (like Iowa) and expect to beat ACC teams with it.

Yes, in 2021 Pitt won the most games since 1981. But Pitt is on its way to losing 10 games for the first time since 1972. Narduzzi is responsible for both….

uh, I was saying this for awhile, even before this post on Saturday

Yep. We said the same thing on Oct 22.

This is one of the first things that I have agreed with you about. As I said previously, Heather will have a year-end evaluation with Narduzzi of the football program and will discuss improvement needs. Narduzzi is a smart guy and he will make changes. But no one should expect him to make changes that will not be in keeping with his overall coaching philosophy which is running the ball is necessary part of success.

Yes, in 2021 Pitt won the most games since 1981. But Pitt is on its way to losing 10 games for the first time since 1972. Narduzzi is responsible for both….

not many coaches survive this type of season, I'm hard-pressed to think of any. Paterno comes to mind rebounding from 3-9. 2-10 is a very, very bad place to be

Reactions: chirurgo
not many coaches survive this type of season, I'm hard-pressed to think of any. Paterno comes to mind rebounding from 3-9. 2-10 is a very, very bad place to be
Some posters believe he is above criticism because of 2021. Nobody is saying that he should be fired after this season. But some of the things he says and does in the face of defeat is pathetic…

It looks like Jimbo was the problem because their NIL Machine is rolling right now and so is their team.
Their NIL remains below par with the true blue bloods.

They were a quiet 10-3 last year and this year, they struck gold with a couple of portal kids and Travis came back.

They should win 10+ most every year due to recruiting advantages

But jimbo was not wrong in his reasoning for leaving.

The message it sends is that Pitt is serious about winning again. And if you’re not cutting it, you’re gone.

What she's saying is "I will do everything I can to get the powers at be to open the checkbook and hire some new assistant coaches." She knows pitt needs to overpay to get top tier assistant coaches who are established.

He was not going to be fired after a season like this. Lyke will open up pocketbook for a new OC. This will be ultimate or penultimate chance for an OC to work well here and have a legit offense. If in 2-3 seasons Duzz can’t right ship then after 2025 or 2026 he could be gone. We have to buckle up and realize that unless he really totally screws up next year and goes like 1-11 or 2-10 his seat will only remain a bit warm. My biggest concern is undisciplined nature of clubs year in and year out. That has to change too.

Told y'all.
Told y'all? I am quite sure there wasnt one person here who said he is getting fired. I have said he is getting fired next year at 5-7 or worse.

There are 3 things I'd like to know:

1. Have we ever had a season with only 1 FBS win?

2. Which coaches have not been fired after a 2-10 or worse season?

3. How many coaches in college football history had their loss total increase by 8 over 2 seasons.

Narduzzi is in some ultra-rare company

The AD's role today is driving the football program. No reason she would not be involved in every aspect of the team on and off the field after this terrible season. I expect many changes to the staff and ways to increase NIL money for players.

He was not going to be fired after a season like this. Lyke will open up pocketbook for a new OC. This will be ultimate or penultimate chance for an OC to work well here and have a legit offense. If in 2-3 seasons Duzz can’t right ship then after 2025 or 2026 he could be gone. We have to buckle up and realize that unless he really totally screws up next year and goes like 1-11 or 2-10 his seat will only remain a bit warm. My biggest concern is undisciplined nature of clubs year in and year out. That has to change too.
This is nonsense because Narduzzi is gone once the major donors have seen enough. That very well may be 24 with another atrocious season.

But does Lyke know football? Sounds sexist but it’s not - only that she has so many sports to oversee. Is it just W’s for her as a bottom line eval or will she drag Duzz thru each staff member’s performance? I’m curious to know if she sees other programs using the middle of the field whereas her guy uses the sideline and views the sticks as a brick wall. If she asks Duzz why they’re not scoring more, he’ll offer that execution by one or another player was the issue. Hopefully she has someone in her ear to explain exactly what modern football is.

This is nonsense because Narduzzi is gone once the major donors have seen enough. That very well may be 24 with another atrocious season.
I think nonsense is a bit strong, but I see your point. I said elsewhere that a wild card is the existential pressure of realignment and falling too far behind as we move toward 2030, so that will be a factor that could cause quicker decisions. I’m just saying all things being equal I don’t see Lyke and admin rushing to buyout.

But does Lyke know football? Sounds sexist but it’s not - only that she has so many sports to oversee. Is it just W’s for her as a bottom line eval or will she drag Duzz thru each staff member’s performance? I’m curious to know if she sees other programs using the middle of the field whereas her guy uses the sideline and views the sticks as a brick wall. If she asks Duzz why they’re not scoring more, he’ll offer that execution by one or another player was the issue. Hopefully she has someone in her ear to explain exactly what modern football is.
I think she spent a long enough time in the Ohio State athletic department to “know” football and what to look for from an administrative perspective. I also wouldn’t be surprised if she’s in contact with her mentor, Gene Smith, about certain things.

With that being said, I trust that Heather will make the right decision(s) when it comes time to. I don’t think she can be this good at her job without “knowing” the biggest and most important collegiate sport.

Told y'all.
this is the biggest nothing statement i've ever heard. what possibly did you get out of this quote?

In the offseason, they are going to evaluate each aspect of the program to compete for titles. lol. yeah, No sh*t. it's called being an AD. she's gonna do the same for every program, if she's not, she's not doing her job..

Some posters believe he is above criticism because of 2021. Nobody is saying that he should be fired after this season. But some of the things he says and does in the face of defeat is pathetic…
I don't know of a single poster who believes Narduzzi is above criticism. C'mon, name some names.

The message it sends is that Pitt is serious about winning again. And if you’re not cutting it, you’re gone.
Except that Pitt can't win like you want - because of its inherent recruiting disadvantages. And other coaches know that. So it sends this message - "We want you to perform a miracle and if you don't, we'll make you a pariah".

Reactions: ThePanthers
Told y'all? I am quite sure there wasnt one person here who said he is getting fired. I have said he is getting fired next year at 5-7 or worse.
My quote wasn't about him being fired. Everyone with any sense at all knew that. My quote nearly word-for-word what Heather said.

If Heather says you need to make staff changes because you just had the worst season in Pitt history and he says no. You think she doesnt fire him?
No. And she won't say that. There will be a discussion where she gives her thoughts but no commands.

Narduzzi is smart enough to know that changes need to happen and he make them. I'm pretty sure that the haters here will complain endlessly about those changes.

I think nonsense is a bit strong, but I see your point. I said elsewhere that a wild card is the existential pressure of realignment and falling too far behind as we move toward 2030, so that will be a factor that could cause quicker decisions. I’m just saying all things being equal I don’t see Lyke and admin rushing to buyout.
My bad, I didn’t mean to come off so strong.

this is the biggest nothing statement i've ever heard. what possibly did you get out of this quote?

In the offseason, they are going to evaluate each aspect of the program to compete for titles. lol. yeah, No sh*t. it's called being an AD. she's gonna do the same for every program, if she's not, she's not doing her job..
You're right. That's exactly my point. Her job is to sit with the head coach and evaluate the program. That's what she said and what I said - weeks ago - she would say. Her job is not to impose a mandate to fire a specific coach or hire a specific coach, which is what many expect her to do.

Its not a nothing statement. It was her saying Narduzzi is coming back. But we all knew that. He won the ACC 2 years ago and went 8-4 last year. None of us thought she was firing him with 7 years left on his contract. But go 5-7 next year and he's gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT