ADVERTISEMENT

Hello Ron Cook

recruitsreadtheseboards

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2006
Dear Cookie.

I am sure you are following college football this year. And if you still have a Heisman vote I trust in the name of fairness, you will do the right thing and vote for an Oklahoma QB over a PA college football player. Because at least this time, you would be right.

Strike the pose Ron.

DN6LcjeU8AAc9ix.jpg

Dear Cookie.

I am sure you are following college football this year. And if you still have a Heisman vote I trust in the name of fairness, you will do the right thing and vote for an Oklahoma QB over a PA college football player. Because at least this time, you would be right.

Strike the pose Ron.

DN6LcjeU8AAc9ix.jpg
Excellent post and right on the money. Maybe Cook will vote for Larry Fitzgerald this year.

Maybe cook will lambaste UPS for failing to reach the CFP for the second year in a row despite have golden opportunities handed to them. If pitt had those types of opportunities and squandered them, the media would be merciless.

Who gives a crap what Ron Cook says, does, prints or which way he votes?

Larry Fitzgerald was likely a better college football player than Jason White way back in 2003. However, Heisman trophy winners do NOT lose to Toledo. That is exactly what PITT did that year. Sure, it was NOT Fitzgerald's fault but that is how the game works.

That "snub" was a generation ago, when do all panther fans get over that?

Larry Fitzgerald was likely a better college football player than Jason White way back in 2003. However, Heisman trophy winners do NOT lose to Toledo. That is exactly what PITT did that year. Sure, it was NOT Fitzgerald's fault but that is how the game works.

As soon as Ron Cook dries up and blows away.

Dear Cookie.

Strike the pose Ron.

Cooks argument against Fitz was that he didn't come up big on the big stage against Miami when he was needed the most. Barkley failed twice in big games, back to back. So I would love to throw that back in Cook's face if he does vote for Barkely.

Cooks argument against Fitz was that he didn't come up big on the big stage against Miami when he was needed the most. Barkley failed twice in big games, back to back. So I would love to throw that back in Cook's face if he does vote for Barkely.

Bingo! He held one game against Miami against Fitz. Well.......................

Reactions: PittPanthers90

Paul Hornung won the Heisman Trophy in 1956 while playing for a 2-8 Notre Dame team.
Incidentally, Johnny Majors finished 2nd to him in the voting.

Jason White never threw for 400 or more yards in a single game. On Saturday the Oklahoma QB had 598 yards passing.

But, Cook will come up with something to justify his Barkley vote.

Barkley is 28th on the country in rushing. I don't see how he makes it to NY, let alone winning it.

The darkhorse to keep an eye on is Josh Adams from ND. Much better rushing numbers than Barkley and has 2 spotlight games left vs Miami and Stanford while Barkley plays teams who wouldn't be favored vs Pine-Richland.

The national media lovefest for Barkley is really hard to believe. Bruce Feldman you would think is a nitter grad (he isn't) for the love he constantly showers on him. On his most recent ranking he just put out Sunday he still has Barkley at #2.

I think they all got enthralled in the off-season when that deadlift video of Barkley was tweeted out and made him out to be super-human or something.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Barkley is 28th on the country in rushing. I don't see how he makes it to NY, let alone winning it.

The darkhorse to keep an eye on is Josh Adams from ND. Much better rushing numbers than Barkley and has 2 spotlight games left vs Miami and Stanford while Barkley plays teams who wouldn't be favored vs Pine-Richland.

The national media lovefest for Barkley is really hard to believe. Bruce Feldman you would think is a nitter grad (he isn't) for the love he constantly showers on him. On his most recent ranking he just put out Sunday he still has Barkley at #2.

I think they all got enthralled in the off-season when that deadlift video of Barkley was tweeted out and made him out to be super-human or something.

I haven't been paying much attention but I dont see how he's in the Top 5. I also don't think he's in the Top 3 for the Doak Walker. That has to be Love, Adams, and the kid from Wisconsin

Paul Hornung won the Heisman Trophy in 1956 while playing for a 2-8 Notre Dame team.
Incidentally, Johnny Majors finished 2nd to him in the voting.

Hornung’s stats that year he won it are truly amazing. 3 TD’s vs 13 INT’s while running for a big 446 yards. Far and away the worst numbers for a Heisman winner.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Hornung’s stats that year he won it are truly amazing. 3 TD’s vs 13 INT’s while running for a big 446 yards. Far and away the worst numbers for a Heisman winner.

That is amazing. But I looked up Major's numbers. 5 TDs and 3 INTs, about 560 yds rushing. I'm assuming Hornung was a better defensive player.

Thank goodness few people had TVs back then, sounds like it would be pretty dull to watch. How did voters even decide who to cast their vote for, newspaper accounts? Imagine what Cook would have wrote to try to ensure Barkley won the Heisman if nobody actually saw him play.

Hearing the announcers talk about him on Saturday was creepy. They were gushing about his calves and his leg muscles. For the love of God just watch videos of him before the game in private, crank one out, and get it out of your system so you don't embarrass yourself on national TV announcing like that.

My girlfriend is a PSU grad and when she heard the calves comment she said, “okay, that’s just weird.”

As for Fitzgerald, Wlat did him no favors by using him as a decoy for Princell f***ing Brockenbrough in the second half of the Notre Dame game.

Did Cook vote for him too?

On the other hand, this is pretty crazy even for the ironman era:

"In the 1956 season, he led his team offensively in passing, rushing, scoring, kickoff and punt returns, and punting. He also played defense and led his team in passes broken up and was second in interceptions and tackles made."

uh., but they come in #2?...seems to me they should be nowhere near sniffing distance if your assertion is correct, no?

why should Pitt fans get over a perceived snub where relevance applies this year? This was a clever post.

So Fitz was the defensive coordinator against Toledo? Did you expect him to tell the coaches to F-off go out at DB and press cover the Toledo WR’s.

Fitz was college footballs “most outstanding player” that year. Losing to Toledo didn’t have any effect on that. Cook didn’t vote for Fitz because he played for Pitt. I guess he thought he was showing his non bias. In any case he effed up and that lasts forever. Who cares when it happened.

It's a shame against Toledo Larry Fitzgerald only had 12 catches for 201 yards and a touchdown. Also definitely his fault Bruce Gradkowski threw for like a bazillion yards. Can't argue with Cookie's logic.

Also the "best player on a top 5 team" thing is relatively new. 1990 BYU, 1989 Houston, 1985 Auburn...all were around #15 or so with great individual performers, not national title contenders. Probably more I'm not thinking of.

In the modern era Tim Brown’s stats in 1987 stand out as being the most pathetic. Had only 39 catches for 846 and 3 tds. Ran 34 times for 144 yards and 1 TD.

It’s funny I don’t remember him as particularly undeserving that year, guess I believed everything I heard/read about what a great season he was having.

It's a shame against Toledo Larry Fitzgerald only had 12 catches for 201 yards and a touchdown. Also definitely his fault Bruce Gradkowski threw for like a bazillion yards. Can't argue with Cookie's logic.

Also the "best player on a top 5 team" thing is relatively new. 1990 BYU, 1989 Houston, 1985 Auburn...all were around #15 or so with great individual performers, not national title contenders. Probably more I'm not thinking of.

if cook votes for Barkley I will most certainly argue and throw it back in his face since Barkley came up short in not one but two big games.

In the modern era Tim Brown’s stats in 1987 stand out as being the most pathetic. Had only 39 catches for 846 and 3 tds. Ran 34 times for 144 yards and 1 TD.

It’s funny I don’t remember him as particularly undeserving that year, guess I believed everything I heard/read about what a great season he was having.

Tim Brown was awarded the Heisman as much for his ability as a return guy, and for being a Notre Dame guy. He had 857 return yards that year.

"Kick Ret Punt Ret

Year School Conf Class Pos G Ret Yds Avg TD Ret Yds Avg TD
Notre Dame Ind RB 11 23 456 19.8 0 34 401 11.8 3 "

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tim-brown-3.html

Tim Brown was awarded the Heisman as much for his ability as a return guy, and for being a Notre Dame guy. He had 857 return yards that year.

"Kick Ret Punt Ret

Year School Conf Class Pos G Ret Yds Avg TD Ret Yds Avg TD
Notre Dame Ind RB 11 23 456 19.8 0 34 401 11.8 3 "

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tim-brown-3.html

This is true, although his less than 20 yards per kick return is poor and was by far the worst of his career. He won the Heisman because of 3 punt return TD’s which is nice, but his other stats combined with the fact that he only scored 7 tds all year made it pretty much a subpar season for a Heisman winner.

Fritz was the best player that year nothing to do with Toledo. Cook was a moron not to vote for Fritz.

This is true, although his less than 20 yards per kick return is poor and was by far the worst of his career. He won the Heisman because of 3 punt return TD’s which is nice, but his other stats combined with the fact that he only scored 7 tds all year made it pretty much a subpar season for a Heisman winner.

The irony is he ended up having a very nice career as a pro. One of the "worse" Heisman winners was among the best professionals.

Tim Brown was awarded the Heisman as much for his ability as a return guy,

Which was hilarious at the time, since even with those three tds he ended up somewhere in the 20s in punt return average. And I don't even think he made the top 50 in kickoff returns with that mediocre 19.8 average.

If you were looking for a top returner that season the man was Barry Sanders. Yeah, that Barry Sanders. Second in he country with a 16.3 yard per punt return average and first in the country with a 31.6 yard per kickoff return average. He also returned two kicks AND two punts for TDs.

Brown won the award because he was a decent receiver and a decent return man who happened to play for Notre Dame. If he played for, say, Pitt or Michigan State, where two vastly superior players played that season, the average college football fan wouldn't have even known who Brown was.

Look at the running backs on this list.
Heisman Voting

Rk Player School Class Pos 1st 2nd 3rd Tot Summary
Tim Brown Notre Dame SR WR 324 173 124 1442 39 Rec, 846 Yds, 21.7 Avg, 3 TD
2 Don McPherson Syracuse SR QB 167 135 60 831 129 Cmp, 229 Att, 2341 Yds, 22 TD, 11 Int
3 Gordon Lockbaum Holy Cross SR RB 108 103 127 657
4 Lorenzo White* Michigan State SR RB 89 121 123 632 357 Att, 1572 Yds, 4.4 Avg, 16 TD
5 Craig Heyward* Pitt SR RB 17 44 31 170 387 Att, 1791 Yds, 4.6 Avg, 12 TD
6 Chris Spielman Ohio State SR LB 15 20 25 110 2 Int, 4 Yds, 0 TD
7 Thurman Thomas Oklahoma State SR RB 11 23 20 99 251 Att, 1613 Yds, 6.4 Avg, 17 TD
8 Gaston Green* UCLA SR RB 4 13 35 73 206 Att, 1098 Yds, 5.3 Avg, 11 TD
9 Emmitt Smith Florida FR RB 2 11 42 70 229 Att, 1341 Yds, 5.9 Avg, 13 TD
10 Bobby Humphrey Alabama JR RB 5 17 14 63 238

Last edited:
Barkley is good, but for those two games his face should’ve been on a milk carton.

Every one of those running backs on that list except for the joke campaign of Lockbaum should have finished above Brown. Literally, every single one.

If the Heisman committee actually cared about the integrity of their award every one of the 338 people that voted Lockbaum either first, second or third should have never been allowed to vote for the award again.

Every one of those running backs on that list except for the joke campaign of Lockbaum should have finished above Brown. Literally, every single one.

If the Heisman committee actually cared about the integrity of their award every one of the 338 people that voted Lockbaum either first, second or third should have never been allowed to vote for the award again.

Lockbaum started both ways. I believe he is the only person to play most snaps on both sides since. Not saying that he should have been a Heisman candidate though.

Its funny though because people don't remember but ESPN used to show Ivy or Patriot League games at noon on Saturdays. The network was still in its infancy. I remember being a kid watching those games. I loved them. The small stadiums, the different teams. I remember putting a Holy Cross uniform on my Christmas list. Loved that plain purple helmet with just the number like Alabama. Santa didn't come through though. No Amazon back then.

Oh wow. I said this then and it is still true. Brent Musberger's constant gushing over Tim Brown won him the Heisman. Probably McPherson (Syracuse), White (Mich State), Ironhead (of this parish) or Thurman Thomas all were more deserving.

Edit: OK....I see you guys were already all over this. Should read thread first.

Heisman Voting

Rk Player School Class Pos 1st 2nd 3rd Tot Summary
Tim Brown Notre Dame SR WR 324 173 124 1442 39 Rec, 846 Yds, 21.7 Avg, 3 TD
2 Don McPherson Syracuse SR QB 167 135 60 831 129 Cmp, 229 Att, 2341 Yds, 22 TD, 11 Int
3 Gordon Lockbaum Holy Cross SR RB 108 103 127 657
4 Lorenzo White* Michigan State SR RB 89 121 123 632 357 Att, 1572 Yds, 4.4 Avg, 16 TD
5 Craig Heyward* Pitt SR RB 17 44 31 170 387 Att, 1791 Yds, 4.6 Avg, 12 TD
6 Chris Spielman Ohio State SR LB 15 20 25 110 2 Int, 4 Yds, 0 TD
7 Thurman Thomas Oklahoma State SR RB 11 23 20 99 251 Att, 1613 Yds, 6.4 Avg, 17 TD
8 Gaston Green* UCLA SR RB 4 13 35 73 206 Att, 1098 Yds, 5.3 Avg, 11 TD
9 Emmitt Smith Florida FR RB 2 11 42 70 229 Att, 1341 Yds, 5.9 Avg, 13 TD
10 Bobby Humphrey Alabama JR RB 5 17 14 63 238

A GORDY LOCKBAUM REFERENCE!

That made my day.

Lockbaum was amazing. His highlights dwarfed everyone else's by a wide margin. He had 2-3 games televised that year and they were so much fun to watch.

What hurt him was that they couldn't hand off to him too much because of wear and tear. In one televised game he literally played every play. He made the greatest play I've ever seen when he ran down as a gunner on punt coverage and got destroyed as he was about to make the tackle. He got up and ran down the returner from behind just before he reached the goal line, stripped the ball and ran the other way, breaking like 10 tackles along the way. He broke free and sprinted to the EZ only to have it called back on an inconsequential block in the back just as he crossed the goal line.

He was drafted by the Steelers and I met him when my parents and I visited camp that year. He actually played very well in the pre-season at RB but they didn't seem to know how to use him and he was cut. If I remember right, the Bills picked him up but he suffered an injury with them and retired.

Jason White never threw for 400 or more yards in a single game. On Saturday the Oklahoma QB had 598 yards passing.

But, Cook will come up with something to justify his Barkley vote.

Oh don't you worry! Cook will examine his conscience, and do the right thing and vote for Barkley. It's what JoePa would've wanted...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT