ADVERTISEMENT

Help for Healther

ThatPittGuy

Redshirt
Dec 18, 2007
Heather,

Don't over think this. We just need a guy with a relatively sexy name who can recruit.

In the short term, Pitt fans just want a coach they feel like other schools might have wanted. Deliver on that, and you'll win the press conference.

Then the coach needs to stockpile some talent over the next few years. If he wins a lot and leaves, fine. There's talent in the pipeline. If he struggles, fine. Next guy comes in and does better with the talent, hopefully.

Do not.. I repeat DO NOT hire some obscure, softspoken Poindexter known only within the coaching fraternity as some superb Xs and Os guy.

The program needs juice in the form of name recognition and 4star recruits to follow.

Don't swing for the fences. Swing for a name and proven recruiting.

Thanks.

Sounds like Pitino! Yes!

Pitino is in the upper half of the options I've seen listed... as odd as it feels to type that out. Personal character issues aside, the man is an all-time great basketball coach and recruiter. And he's awesome in front of the microphone. People would get over his other issues pretty quickly. This all assumes there isn't some legal jeopardy I'm not understaning.

The Lindsey Hunter Stuff is scaring me a bit. The Jent talk makes me nervous.

Sanchez... no... we don't need to be the 2nd best ugly-ball team in the ACC. UVA's recent success is the exception, far from the rule. I need to see it replicated and sustained elsewhere over several graduating classes. Do I need to remind people how UVA has done relative to their seed in the dance? And I really don't want to dredge up our own ugly ball history in the dance.

If we blow it with Matta and don't put together a strong enough offer for Hurley, we've put ourselves at serious risk of Pitting.

Cooley, Musselman, or Cronin would be some other solid choices. Stick to the top HC's of the A10, BE and AAC. After that, steeeeeep drop-off.

I just hope it's clear to Heather that she doesn't need to hire the next Coach K this time around. He doesn't need to check all boxes perfectly. We need a specific type of coach to meet this program's specific needs over the next few years.

Recruiter. Smooth personality. That's seriously mostly it.

Pitino is in the upper half of the options I've seen listed... as odd as it feels to type that out. Personal character issues aside, the man is an all-time great basketball coach and recruiter. And he's awesome in front of the microphone. People would get over his other issues pretty quickly. This all assumes there isn't some legal jeopardy I'm not understaning.

Sanchez... no... we don't need to be the 2nd best ugly-ball team in the ACC. UVA's recent success is the exception, far from the rule. I need to see it replicated and sustained elsewhere over several graduating classes. Do I need to remind people how UVA has done relative to their seed in the dance? And I really don't want to dredge up our own ugly ball history in the dance.

If we blow it with Matta and don't put together a strong enough offer for Hurley, we've put ourselves at serious risk of Pitting.

Cooley, Musselman, or Cronin would be some other solid choices. Stick to the top HC's of the A10, BE and AAC. After that, steeeeeep drop-off.

I just hope it's clear to Heather that she doesn't need to hire the next Coach K this time around. He doesn't need to check all boxes perfectly. We need a specific type of coach to meet this program's specific needs over the next few years.

You lost all credibility when you typed "Pitino."

You lost all credibility when you typed "Pitino."

Don't misconstrue it as support for Pitino.

Just illustrative of the qualities we need in the next hire.

We don't need a long term solution. And we don't need Ned Flanders.

Don't misconstrue it as support for Pitino.

Just illustrative of the qualities we need in the next hire.

We don't need a long term solution. And we don't need Ned Flanders.
I posted sort of the opposite opinion earlier today.

The stars almost never align at Pitt to spend money on a coaching hire. I think this one needs to be a home run.

Even without the FBI Scandal, this year is a unique situation, sort of like hiring Johnny Majors in 1973. If we DON'T get hoops turned around while Lyke has money and credibility, we might just settle into permanent Georgia Tech level status.

And, with the current league elite coaching jobs all likely to turn over in the next few years, the ooportunity for a sea-change in the ACC and in NCAA Hoops entirely is possible with the FBI investigation and subsequent sanctions.

Reactions: gary2 and Fsgolfdr
I posted sort of the opposite opinion earlier today.

The stars almost never align at Pitt to spend money on a coaching hire. I think this one needs to be a home run.

Even without the FBI Scandal, this year is a unique situation, sort of like hiring Johnny Majors in 1973. If we DON'T get hoops turned around while Lyke has money and credibility, we might just settle into permanent Georgia Tech level status.

And, with the current league elite coaching jobs all likely to turn over in the next few years, the ooportunity for a sea-change in the ACC and in NCAA Hoops entirely is possible with the FBI investigation and subsequent sanctions.
Who would you like to see us hire?

Who would you like to see us hire?
I'm glad it's not my decision.

Probably
1) Hurley- It's been Hurley in everyboy's mind for weeks. Why change now? I hope there is already a gentleman's agreement in place.

2) Grant, but he plays really slow. He can coach but lots of folks won't like him.

3a) and 3b) Shrewsbury and Sanchez, in either order. High upside but low floor.

4a, b, and c) Out of left field in terms of decreasing likelihood: Ben Jacobson, Matt Painter and, wait for it... Shaka Smart.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I'm glad it's not my decision.

Probably
1) Hurley- It's been Hurley in everyboy's mind for weeks. Why change now? I hope there is already a gentleman's agreement in place.

2) Grant, but he plays really slow. He can coach but lots of folks won't like him.

3a) and 3b) Shrewsbury and Sanchez, in either order. High upside but low floor.

4a, b, and c) Out of left field in terms of decreasing likelihood: Ben Jacobson, Matt Painter and, wait for it... Shaka Smart.
I like Hurley, Musselman, and Grant. Shaka Smart would be a great hire, but we don’t have enough $ to make that happen. I was hoping Texas would lose down the stretch and not make the NCAA tournament, then I’d say it would have been more possible.

Mentioning Pitino did it for me. Your opinion is irrelevant now.

But your last statement is accurate and describes Sanchez perfectly. Also Earl Grant, who isn't coming here.

I like Hurley, Musselman, and Grant. Shaka Smart would be a great hire, but we don’t have enough $ to make that happen. I was hoping Texas would lose down the stretch and not make the NCAA tournament, then I’d say it would have been more possible.
If Texas misses the Dance, they might be willing to cut his buyout and let us take him off their hands. At 19-14, they might be a bubble team. I don't think he's happy there. But, he might not come here.

We really have NONE of his style players. But, we might not have any Sanchez players either.

I think Mussrlman is a West Coast guy now.

From what I’ve read, sounds like Grant would have a good chance to recruit. Seems to have a likeable personality... I think a lot of players would take to him.

Go Pitt.

Yes but he'd be gone within 3 years for SC, Clemson, UGa, or GT

We're looking at this with many of the options. That's why I hope Heather focus on finding a proven recruiter. Coaches leave by chouce because they're successful. At this point, that's a very positive outcome for us. We just need him to leave behind a stable of talented players if/when that day comes.

Pepole need to warm to fact that digging out of this mess might be a two-man job and take several years. Barnes did an enormous amount of damage.

We're looking at this with many of the options. That's why I hope Heather focus on finding a proven recruiter. Coaches leave by chouce because they're successful. At this point, that's a very positive outcome for us. We just need him to leave behind a stable of talented players if/when that day comes.

People need to warm to fact that digging out of this mess might be a two-man job and take several years. Barnes did an enormous amount of damage.

"People need to warm to fact that digging out of this mess might be a two-man job and take several years. Barnes did an enormous amount of damage."

Hey, you may be 100% right. A guy on this board who knows more basketball than I told me the same thing months ago.

But, I just doubt Pitt will have the money to attract the guy who can get us over the hump in 5 or 6 years. Pitt rarely stays focused on Athletic issues that long.

I think we gotta grab for the brass ring THIS time.

If Texas misses the Dance, they might be willing to cut his buyout and let us take him off their hands. At 19-14, they might be a bubble team. I don't think he's happy there. But, he might not come here.

We really have NONE of his style players. But, we might not have any Sanchez players either.

I think Mussrlman is a West Coast guy now.
Hey, Texas made the Dance. So much for cutting loose Shaka.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT