ADVERTISEMENT

Here's something that I never want to see on this board again:

If you've been watching Pitt football since 1987, and your preseason expectations was not met for any of those 30, then you do not have realistic expectations.
Oh my preseason expectations were met in many of those seasons. I EXPECTED them to lose. Guess what? I was right.

So how exactly do you expect Pitt to land 4 and 5 star recruits?

Hire a top notch recruiter, pay the money. Up the budget, build a program. This might take years I agree, but we haven't even broke ground on any of those things I mentioned.

So we are still where we were 20 years ago, but that's not how it has to be but it starts with COMMITMENT, and that isn't there from Pitt

Those defending Pitt, as bad as those still defending the Pirates, clueless or an agenda , or both
The only clueless people are the ones that do not understand that Pitt is what it is. Do you expect BC to land 4 and 5 star recruits, and become an elite program? Pitt is the equivalent to BC around the nation, and in recruits eyes.

The only clueless people are the ones that do not understand that Pitt is what it is. Do you expect BC to land 4 and 5 star recruits, and become an elite program? Pitt is the equivalent to BC around the nation, and in recruits eyes.

We agree to disagree , how old are you if I may ask ? Not insulting just want to know

Hire a top notch recruiter, pay the money. Up the budget, build a program. This might take years I agree, but we haven't even broke ground on any of those things I mentioned.

So we are still where we were 20 years ago, but that's not how it has to be but it starts with COMMITMENT, and that isn't there from Pitt
If you mean "Pay the Money" as in provide perks to recruits, then that is your best chance. Other schools hire good recruiters as well, but have a better product to sell. Schools like Ohio St, ND, PS, and Michigan have much larger budgets. Why do u think this is?

We agree to disagree , how old are you if I may ask ? Not insulting just want to know
Early 40's. Another huge issue that you don't get. The current recruits and their parents did not even experience the glory years of Pitt football (75-82). That is ancient history to most of them.

Reactions: Mikefln
If you mean "Pay the Money" as in provide perks to recruits, then that is your best chance. Other schools hire good recruiters as well, but have a better product to sell. Schools like Ohio St, ND, PS, and Michigan have much larger budgets. Why do u think this is?

Not only about money. They don't even CARE, so let's start baby steps

Hey folks the high school where I teach now Football game this past Friday night .... big fan turn out on both sides ... the good guys were getting their butts kicked the entire game ... number of fans ( who paid to be there) who left early? Zero ....

It's an attitude thing I'm sorry but that's just the truth

Drove in from Kane, PA at 4AM for both the Youngstown and Ok. State games. Wholeheartedly disappointed both games. Not sure I'll waste another weekend doing this.

Why not? Pitt's Administration doesn't understand that people don't support losers. Explain it to them.

Reactions: TD_istheman
Why would you miss the Rice game? That might be the only W left on the schedule.

Got two extra tickets for my brother , 40 yard line , row D, 5 bucks. Be a nice day and a cheap outing for the whole family. Thanks Pitt brass!

Drove in from Kane, PA at 4AM for both the Youngstown and Ok. State games. Wholeheartedly disappointed both games. Not sure I'll waste another weekend doing this.

The shame of it is, this is the nicest time of the year. And I waste my Saturdays watching a program who has lacked seriousness and direction for 35 years.

Everyone knows Pittsburghers for the most part are "event" type people. Fans will only go when a big name is in town or Pitt is a top 10 team. That's just how it is.

Playing a top 10 team isn't an event? So was it the perfect weather that kept Pitt fans away?

Reactions: ThePanthers
Hey folks the high school where I teach now Football game this past Friday night .... big fan turn out on both sides ... the good guys were getting their butts kicked the entire game ... number of fans ( who paid to be there) who left early? Zero ....

Is this serious? Comparing major college football to high school?!?!

Reactions: paulbl99
This is spot on....

It's not the same as comparing to a restaurant or business.... Football programs are built in a community sense with boosters etc etc ... this is the same at the high school level... it's an investment of time and money .... in Pitts case they are near the top of living alumni in ACC and near the bottom in donations.... I don't see anyone from Pitt defending yesterday not the coach nor the administration.... but the path to change won't come from withholding funding....it's not a pro franchise... it's not a restaurant.... change comes from large numbers of people pushing in the same direction... not from snide remarks cynicism or infighting in the fan base while withholding funds that doesn't work
Amen

Playing a top 10 team isn't an event? So was it the perfect weather that kept Pitt fans away?
I am trying to figure the excuses as to why the fans did not come out to give thanks to our Sr. class last year. James Conner alone deserved the support.

So you tell me- how long is realistic to meet expectations? I've been watching Pitt football for 30 years, and my expectations haven't been met once. Even a blind squirrel should find a nut once in a while. So would it be realistic for me to expect a truly competitive team once in my lifetime? When is this grand plan going to come to fruition? When I'm in an old age home?

That is how I feel! You get a moment here and there like Clemson and psu last year or the 10 win season ( you know the one,I don't have to name the year because they're had only been one) where it was still disappointing due to lack of conference championship and not a major bowl game. I am just sick of it all. I despise Penn St and find them repulsive, yet they are back and we flounder. How long am I supposed to keep caring until I realized how insane I am?

Reactions: PerchMan
That is how I feel! You get a moment here and there like Clemson and psu last year or the 10 win season ( you know the one,I don't have to name the year because they're had only been one) where it was still disappointing due to lack of conference championship and not a major bowl game. I am just sick of it all. I despise Penn St and find them repulsive, yet they are back and we flounder. How long am I supposed to keep caring until I realized how insane I am?
Why do you think PS will never fall? It is because of their loyal fans that will never get off the bandwagon. Heck - they double downed during tough times.

I didn't realize that BC was in PA with the WPIAL in it's backyards that produce that kind of talent.

Why do you think PS will never fall? It is because of their loyal fans that will never get off the bandwagon. Heck - they double downed during tough times.

Penn St also give fans reason to be cheerful with the football product ( they should always remain shamed as a whole), what had Pitt given its fans over the past 35 years? For every great win there are 3 horrible loses.

You are in fantasyland.

This is not even Duzz's fault. I'm not sold on him, but his employer is sending him out to sell Chevett's at the price of Cadillac''s!

I didn't realize that BC was in PA with the WPIAL in it's backyards that produce that kind of talent.
The WPIAL is not loaded with talent like it used to be, but how do you expect Pitt to stop Bama, Ohio St, Penn St, Notre Dame, and Michigan from cherry picking? Local recruits see 34k in person and fans fleeing with their own eyes. Then local recruits also hear all the negativity from Pitt fans and the local media.

The WPIAL is not loaded with talent like it used to be, but how do you expect Pitt to stop Bama, Ohio St, Penn St, Notre Dame, and Michigan from cherry picking? Local recruits see 34k in person and fans fleeing with their own eyes. Then local recruits also hear all the negativity from Pitt fans and the local media.

WVU does more with less, correct ?

Is it loaded like it use to be? No. Is it still one of the top areas that if Pitt got 60-70% of its top players would produce a top 15 team year in year out if supplimented from the rest of PA and Ohio? You better believed it. Pitt does it to itself. That is why fan support sucks.

At some point you need to give fans a reason to care. One 10 win season where they lost in horrible fashion in the conference championship and did not play in a major bowl to win that tenth game in 13 games season is not reason enough. Yet 40,000 fans still go regularly. Pitt has not earned that support. Support is earned it is not given.

Is it loaded like it use to be? No. Is it still one of the top areas that if Pitt got 60-70% of its top players would produce a top 15 team year in year out if supplimented from the rest of PA and Ohio? You better believed it. Pitt does it to itself. That is why fan support sucks.

At some point you need to give fans a reason to care. One 10 win season where they lost in horrible fashion in the conference championship and did not play in a major bowl to win that tenth game in 13 games season is not reason enough. Yet 40,000 fans still go regularly. Pitt has not earned that support. Support is earned it is not given.

Pitt and it's lems are best at excuse making not problem solving

Reactions: Mikefln
WVU does more with less, correct ?
WVU gets a lot more financial support from its fans and the state government. They add another monkey wrench into the mix because they accept anybody with a pulse, so more Western PA kids attend WV and there is an increased presence of WV grads in the Pittsburgh area.

How many 4 and 5 star recruits have there been in the WPIAL the last 4 years? Why should these kids select Pitt over Ohio St, Bama, Michigan, ND, and Bama? What does Pitt offer? How many leftover 4 and 5 star recruits are there in Ohio and PA after those same schools picked through the litter?

WVU gets a lot more financial support from its fans and the state government. They add another monkey wrench into the mix because they accept anybody with a pulse, so more Western PA kids attend WV and there is an increased presence of WV grads in the Pittsburgh area.

If you don't work for Pitt, they need to hire you , best excuse maker ever , that's a compliment.

Lol sorry for the rant....

But my point was to respond to the original point.

People should go to the games if they want change. But Pitt has a responsibility to make you want to go to the game. And for quite some time they haven't fulfilled that.
For me something like 37+ years !!!

If you don't work for Pitt, they need to hire you , best excuse maker ever , that's a compliment.

You really are stupid. I mean, besides the 700 meaningless posts you posted today, but your statement that WVU does more with less - a false premise that they recruit their own state. The state of WV has had probably 1 3* recruit in the past 5 years. It's a barren HS football wasteland. They recruit the shit out of FL. OMG....go to the VT boards where you belong and slurp Fuente.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT