ADVERTISEMENT

Hidden Max Browne stat, I thought this was very interesting

steel_curtain

All Conference
Nov 9, 2014
-So while we are talking about QB battles next year and who will be managing our offense, TMAC or Browne,

-We know Browne got replaced by Sam Darnold at USC, who looks like the future #1 pick overall in the NFL draft.

-But here is a hidden stat. Max Browne opened his college career against the #1 overall defense in the country with Alabama and also had to play at Stanford on the road, one of the most difficult places to win in college football. Browne's offensive line was called for NINE offensive false start penalties along with 2 offensive holding penalties in these games. Browne had a 48% completion percentage against Alabama, Darnold had a 50% completion percentage against Bama. Browne had a 65% completion percentage against Stanford, a Top 15 defense, while Darnold had a 70% completion percentage. My point of posting this is not to compare Browne with Darnold. But my point here was in Browne's 2 games against Alabama and Stanford, the offensive line for USC was a complete joke in both games and penalties were killing USC drives against both teams. I think we have decent potential to work with in Browne when I looked deeper into what happened. 200 pass yards against Stanford on the road with a 65% completion rate is nothing to sniff at when your offense is flagged on every other play for false starts and offensive holding.

Most people on the west coast are very familiar with Max Browne. Guy was a big time recruit, but never quite panned out. Not all of it his fault, USC just wasn't a good fit for whatever reason, obviously it's easy to get recruited on top of you there.

I think the fresh start will help him, he's a talented guy and should fit in well. If he's not the slam dunk opening day starter there's a problem, hope that's not the case.

I saw the USC-BAMA game in Arlington and he looked like Deer in the Headlights, but the Play calling was terrible, he seldom had an Open Wideout, and almost no Running game. USC was held under a 100 yards, QB was chased many plays and could not throw over 100 yards, and Wideouts caught balls but not much yardage. Darnold saw some action too, but BAMA just dominated USC 20-3 in First half, Total blow Out Second Half. Seldom saw USC blown away like that.

The BAMA Defense was stifling but Browne looked slow in making his reads, could not hit his Wideout, and just looked shaken and not mobile at all. If that was due to the OL it changed under Darnold that was mobile and could throw on the run, scramble, and hit his targets on a dime later in the season???

Many USC fans that follow USC like a Religion were upset with the OC Play Calling in Helton's Brother, everybody was blaming the Helton's, but afterwards those Games the USC Defense also became better. Then Darnold came in and one could see he could scramble and had more poise but the OL did not exists and neither did DL for USC either. A BIG BABA BEATING with Kiffen smiling from line to line.

In next game, Utah State, Browne was much better but one could see so was Darnold. USC clicked and won 45-7, Browne threw close to 200 yards and 2 TDS AND THAT WAS HIS FIRST CAREER START VICTORY, but still had an Interception. Darnold only had about 10 plays and threw for 2 TDS and again showed he had a spark Browne lacked. It really the USC Defense that won that game, Utah State could do nothing.

Stanford was really about Stanford just over running the USC Defense they did not even have to pass that much. Browne again had close to 200 yards but no TDS and Dranold with only again about 10 plays had 1 Interception and no TDS and Darnold was just as ineffective. USC did NOT have much Rushing so your OL thoughts were spot on, and USC was badly out coached and out executed ON BOTH OL & DL.

The Utah game Browne was benched and Darnold took over and lost a close one but threw over 250 yards and OL opened up the running Game. Darnold sparked the USC Team and had good lead but Utah took over and USC Defense started to get run down, and lost a close one.

Once September was over Darnold took over and destroyed ASU and Browne got in on clean up, but was replaced for good.

Watched USC all season long and were a far different Team by October and Browne was very much like Peterman was in his First Year at Pitt, he could throw, but not always consistent as he learned the system. Very smart but needs time to adjust and not as Mobile. I think he has a growing year like Peterman especially with a new OC and just can't predict how Watson will be compared to Canada?

I don't think Browne gets 2 years either just 1 year of eligibility. Yet, the Offense still has many weapons and OL that are ready to play too, and TE will be new too?

Browne is accurate when he gets the time, but not as fast and more like Savage and will need Protection. If Pitt OC Watson makes him play fast like Canada had Peterman it should be OK, if not, I have no clue. Sometimes I think Browne is just very smart and may over think his playing, but Helton did mention, he called some awful plays for Browne and USC in that September!

I am still more worried about OC Watson until I see him as OC, last year I got to see the Villanova-Pitt Game before going to the USC-BAMA game, I was real worried what I saw, but then came Penn State and that First Quarter won the Game in my view. I don't expect Penn State Defense to be confused in September, but I do expect the Pitt Defense better be BETTER and I think that will be the Surprise, but still upward climb for PITT at Beaver Stadium September.

Some Spring Ball may reveal all and Pitt OL looks like it is reloading not rebuilding.

Reactions: Jtommyj
Most people on the west coast are very familiar with Max Browne. Guy was a big time recruit, but never quite panned out. Not all of it his fault, USC just wasn't a good fit for whatever reason, obviously it's easy to get recruited on top of you there.

I think the fresh start will help him, he's a talented guy and should fit in well. If he's not the slam dunk opening day starter there's a problem, hope that's not the case.
:oops::rolleyes::confused: Peterman needed his 1st Year at Pitt to get better as a 4 Star Recruit that sat the bench most of the time at UTENN. Just like Browne did at USC, Browne had one Victory as Starter 2 losses before replaced.

The other negative I see is that Pitt Back-Ups QBs have just as less experience, almost no back-Up was put in a game until NU Pinstripe Bowls and that did not go well at all. Pitt really has QB with few to none Game Experience coming into 2017. The upfront Schedule is Brutal with YSU, PSU, OKST & GT!

The way Defense kept giving away Pitt Leads kept Peterman in every game every minute, but NU Bowl Game. Losing Canada is a worrisome concept Pitt has to deal with, and we shall see???

Last edited:
Alabama's defense isn't fast or good enough. Not a real test. The real test will be our Pitt D in practice, with everyone on the team running 4.2 (maybe better) 40s.

There is a difference between being a good poster who challenges people with silly opinions and being a total prick. Seems you have decided to be the latter. Shame.

There is a difference between being a good poster who challenges people with silly opinions and being a total prick. Seems you have decided to be the latter. Shame.

Steel isn't worth the energy required to be a good poster.

Not really. I'm just tired of steel being a complete moron and liar on here in every thread. He makes all of us look bad. Unfortunately some people can't differentiate and so you have the same people who are caught up by the "fake news" problems doing the same here.

And to top it off steel disappeared when the season got tough, so he isn't even a consistent homer. He runs away when it becomes clear he was full of it.

Reactions: Nardog2
Not really. I'm just tired of steel being a complete moron and liar on here in every thread. He makes all of us look bad. Unfortunately some people can't differentiate and so you have the same people who are caught up by the "fake news" problems doing the same here.

And to top it off steel disappeared when the season got tough, so he isn't even a consistent homer. He runs away when it becomes clear he was full of it.

We don't need you to be a super hero and protect us from him. We can form our own opinions.

And he doesn't make anyone look bad but himself if he says something stupid I mean you're known as jripper im bob free???

Last edited:
Reactions: Swervin27
-So while we are talking about QB battles next year and who will be managing our offense, TMAC or Browne,

-We know Browne got replaced by Sam Darnold at USC, who looks like the future #1 pick overall in the NFL draft.

-But here is a hidden stat. Max Browne opened his college career against the #1 overall defense in the country with Alabama and also had to play at Stanford on the road, one of the most difficult places to win in college football. Browne's offensive line was called for NINE offensive false start penalties along with 2 offensive holding penalties in these games. Browne had a 48% completion percentage against Alabama, Darnold had a 50% completion percentage against Bama. Browne had a 65% completion percentage against Stanford, a Top 15 defense, while Darnold had a 70% completion percentage. My point of posting this is not to compare Browne with Darnold. But my point here was in Browne's 2 games against Alabama and Stanford, the offensive line for USC was a complete joke in both games and penalties were killing USC drives against both teams. I think we have decent potential to work with in Browne when I looked deeper into what happened. 200 pass yards against Stanford on the road with a 65% completion rate is nothing to sniff at when your offense is flagged on every other play for false starts and offensive holding.

Well I guess we can say it. BROWNE FOR HEISMAN!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Max will get his first big win against the branch campus dummies at the big pig sty in state college.

Reactions: Jtommyj
We don't need you to be a super hero and protect us from him. We can form our own opinions.

And he doesn't make anyone look bad but himself if he says something stupid I mean you're known as jripper im bob free???
I think us having a legion of brain dead, lie regurgitating, Joebot esque morons makes all of us Pitt fans look bad.

Reactions: Ski11585
The only thing making PITT fans look bad are empty seats.

Maybe PITT can pump out a few more branch campus to increase the alumni and current enrollment count. PITT has an enrollment of 38K, PSU has just shy of 100K. Of course they draw more for their games. Frankly I don't see how they wouldn't draw 107K to their games with that enrollment.

PSU's degree is diluted by their enrollment numbers, but I guess it makes fit a good gameday atmosphere.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
The only thing making PITT fans look bad are empty seats.
Yep, another AD Empty Seat right now, just like Coaching Musical Chairs from 2010 to 2015. Time For Pitt Leadership to find the Right People to Rebuild Athletics not seek New Careers Elsewhere but find those that come and stay at Pitt! Narduzzi is doing it! We can find others!

Last edited:
Reactions: 88Pitt88
Maybe PITT can pump out a few more branch campus to increase the alumni and current enrollment count. PITT has an enrollment of 38K, PSU has just shy of 100K. Of course they draw more for their games. Frankly I don't see how they wouldn't draw 107K to their games with that enrollment.

PSU's degree is diluted by their enrollment numbers, but I guess it makes fit a good gameday atmosphere.
Clemson is the size of Pitt and has been a Power in Football with the Right People behind them and they came from Western Pennsylvania and about the same size of Pitt at 18,599 Undergrads. Pitt in 2016-17 beat them with seconds on the clock, Clemson beat Bama with seconds on the clock and barely lost in 2015-16 season.

TCU Athletics have gone from Southwest to CUSA to Mountain West to Big East to Big-12 with Pitt Jamie Dixon Advising and helping his Alma Mater in 2000s and not bigger with 10,000 Undergrads..

Miami with 10,000 Undergrads almost gave up Football saved by 1 Vote in 1976, and bounce back winning NCS and smaller than Pitt and plays before many empty seats.

Stanford has just 6,980 Students and In five years found a Coach in Harbaugh and now Shaw at the helm of his Alma Mater, 54-14 including 36-9 in the Pac-12 play. Stanford has won the conference championship three times the past four seasons (2012, ’13, ‘ 15) and two Rose Bowls in that span. Shaw’s base salary in 2014 was $2.65 million. He also received just over $700,000 in deferred compensation and he got $590,000 in bonuses.

Northwestern with 8,000 Undergrads is no bastion of Sold Out Stadium but finds the Right People that build Competitive Football Programs without Musical Chairs.

Few have Pitt Football Historic Traditional History and Smaller Universities do find the Right People that work together with focus, determination, and not always the full support of Alumni and Fans, not selling out above 50,000!

If others can do it so can Pitt! It takes finding the Right People willing to Commit to Pitt and want to be the Right Fit and stay at Pitt!

If Chancellor Gallagher, Dr. Juhl, Coach Pat Narduzzi, and Susie McConnell love being at Pitt start to find the same kind of people of, by, and for Pitt like themselves.

Last edited:
Browne lost his job because Darnold blew him away in practice and not because the first two games were tough.
This is incorrect. They had a QB battle in camp, and Browne won. He won the starting job and held it for a few games. The HC decided to make a change after a couple of losses, and he did.

Perhaps Darnold is the better QB. Perhaps, if he'd stuck with Browne, USC would've won anyway. I have no idea.
I'm not saying Browne is better or even equal to Darnold, only that he was not "blown away in practice" by Darnold.
And if Browne is not the opening day starter for Pitt, it could just be that McVittee, who the staff loves, is the starter because he wins the job fair and square, and because the staff thinks he's going to be successful right away.

Reactions: FireballZ
This is incorrect. They had a QB battle in camp, and Browne won. He won the starting job and held it for a few games. The HC decided to make a change after a couple of losses, and he did.

Perhaps Darnold is the better QB. Perhaps, if he'd stuck with Browne, USC would've won anyway. I have no idea.
I'm not saying Browne is better or even equal to Darnold, only that he was not "blown away in practice" by Darnold.
Darnold was better in practice.

They gave the job to Browne to start the year for political reasons. The coaches didn't want him to transfer and leave them with no depth at the position. They also knew two of the first three against Bama and Stanford would be tough. Browne was the sacrificial lamb for Clay Helton.

Depending on how you look at the situation, it was either a savvy or dirty move by the coach. Doesn't matter now since Clay is now a Rose Bowl champ and has Darnold and job security. Worked out for him. Lets hope Browne has a big year here and it works out for him as well. He certainly deserves it after how he was treated at USC.

Can you support your 1st paragraph with documentation?

They gave the job to Browne to start the year for political reasons. The coaches didn't want him to transfer and leave them with no depth at the position. They also knew two of the first three against Bama and Stanford would be tough. Browne was the sacrificial lamb for Clay Helton.

Depending on how you look at the situation, it was either a savvy or dirty move by the coach. Doesn't matter now since Clay is now a Rose Bowl champ and has Darnold and job security. Worked out for him. Lets hope Browne has a big year here and it works out for him as well. He certainly deserves it after how he was treated at USC.

-For as much as I like Darnold and his NFL draft potential, he wouldnt of done any better if he was the full time starter at USC against Alabama and Stanford. You can't have an offensive line have 9 false start penalties, 2 holding penalties, and give up 6 sacks and expect to win the game let a lone even score. USC gave up almost as many sacks in those 2 games as Pitt gave up for an entire season. I dont think Browne got a raw deal. Darnold is good. That doesnt mean Browne also isnt good. What we do know is Browne had a 63% completion rate through 3 games against 2 Elite defenses. That is a top 25ish completion rate in the country statistically and not piling up completions against cupcakes.

-For as much as I like Darnold and his NFL draft potential, he wouldnt of done any better if he was the full time starter at USC against Alabama and Stanford.
Never said he would have.
I dont think Browne got a raw deal.
Most of the people who cover USC disagree. Speaks to the type of person and leader Max Browne is. They didn't like how the decision to name a starter was delayed and then Browne was given a quick hook.
Like you say and many agree with, hard to see Darnold doing any better against Bama or Stanford. But then why give Browne the hook? Unless Darnold was your guy all along and you just wanted an excuse for the first few games.

-For as much as I like Darnold and his NFL draft potential, he wouldnt of done any better if he was the full time starter at USC against Alabama and Stanford. You can't have an offensive line have 9 false start penalties, 2 holding penalties, and give up 6 sacks and expect to win the game let a lone even score. USC gave up almost as many sacks in those 2 games as Pitt gave up for an entire season. I dont think Browne got a raw deal. Darnold is good. That doesnt mean Browne also isnt good. What we do know is Browne had a 63% completion rate through 3 games against 2 Elite defenses. That is a top 25ish completion rate in the country statistically and not piling up completions against cupcakes.
Alabama is too slow to have an elite defense.

Reactions: Ski11585
Where does it say Darnold was better but for political reasons they started Browne?
In their coverage of the team. I don't know how to search for articles on the new Rivals format. I followed along this past year.

The podcasts are free you can go listen to the ones about the QB battle. Otherwise you would have to subscribe and look back in their coverage.

-He's an Alabama bandwagon fan that goes by the name Phil. There are a lot of Alabama fans that post on the pantherlair these days. Im trying to figure out why they are here instead of an Alabama board
I'm trying to figure out why you think everyone is an Alabama fan, just because I am an Alabama graduate and fan. I am also a very big Pitt fan and have been my whole life. I have also been around here for a lot, lot longer than you have.

Two weeks after shutting Max Browne down, Stanford gave up 44 to Washington, then 42 to Washington St. At that point of the season, their D was not very good

Reactions: Jpripper88
By the way, where is the hidden stat

-The hidden stat is the USC offensive line committing penalties and giving up sacks on every other play the first 3 games of the season. Washington St. also lost to Eastern Washington State in the FCS and Boise State. They were the worst rated P5 team ever, although no one is surprised the way the Pac 12 got smacked around in bowl games, USC aside

-The hidden stat is the USC offensive line committing penalties and giving up sacks on every other play the first 3 games of the season. Washington St. also lost to Eastern Washington State in the FCS and Boise State. They were the worst rated P5 team ever, although no one is surprised the way the Pac 12 got smacked around in bowl games, USC aside

So you made my point. WSU lost to EWU yet dominated Stanford's D

Reactions: Jpripper88

This is absolutely true... the USC coaches knew Darnold was better, but it was close enough that they went with the guy with more experience in the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT