ADVERTISEMENT

Hinson

Protes

All American
Mar 23, 2003
Pay board post indicates he might not be coming back. That would be a tough hit for next season.

Pay board post indicates he might not be coming back. That would be a tough hit for next season.

It would be a massive blow and I dont understand why he would take the chance on going pro if he has 150K + free food and free housing waiting for him. He is going to make more at Pitt next season.

Had some good workouts and scout evals. May not get drafted, but could get signed to a two way.

He would make less in the G league, even on a 2 way, then he would at Pitt. Unless he gets called up to the NBA. And he has to pay for his food and housing in the G league and that isnt cheap.

There isn’t a solid source at this point.
I’m shocked. 😏

Anonymous bloggers on message board sites can say whatever they want. 🤷‍♂

Would have to think NIL could allow him to play at Pitt and make as much as he could playing just about anywhere else for a year. But we’ll know for sure very soon.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I’m shocked. 😏

Would have to think NIL could allow him to play at Pitt and make as much as he could playing just about anywhere else for a year. But we’ll know for sure very soon.

Unfortunately, these message board rumors are usually true. Jordan Addison. Bball players quitting, etc

• Sad
Reactions: Protes
Yeah my first thought when he put his name out there was he’s probably done with the college thing.
Yup. We as fans all want him back but if he can go overseas and make a nice chunk of change or obv drafted, you gotta figure it would be way more money than what he'd make from NIL here at Pitt.

I mean who really knows but I'm expecting the worst and hoping for him to return.

Yup. We as fans all want him back but if he can go overseas and make a nice chunk of change or obv drafted, you gotta figure it would be way more money than what he'd make from NIL here at Pitt.

I mean who really knows but I'm expecting the worst and hoping for him to return.

He will not make more overseas or in the G League than he will at Pitt. If he truly is going to make 100K-150K here, the only leagues where he will top that is the NBA, Spain, France, or Italy and with restrictions on Americans, I wouldn't think he stands a good chance to land in those leagues right away.

For these type of tweener players, guys not good enough for the NBA, but really good college players, almost none of them would make more in the G-league or overseas than they would in college. Now, if they can get a 2-way AND spend the requisite amount of time on the active NBA roster, then, yes, they can barely (in some cases) make more than they can in college.

He will not make more overseas or in the G League than he will at Pitt. If he truly is going to make 100K-150K here, the only leagues where he will top that is the NBA, Spain, France, or Italy and with restrictions on Americans, I wouldn't think he stands a good chance to land in those leagues right away.

For these type of tweener players, guys not good enough for the NBA, but really good college players, almost none of them would make more in the G-league or overseas than they would in college. Now, if they can get a 2-way AND spend the requisite amount of time on the active NBA roster, then, yes, they can barely (in some cases) make more than they can in college.
Why would he not be able to play in Italy or Spain or France? You are selling him short.

From what I've read, Blake has been doing very well showing his abilities for the NBA scouts. Unfortunately, that makes him more likely to leave.

Personally, I'd really like to see him return because I want to see what he can do when he is "the man." I believe he has a lot more to show us, and he could really shine this season. Either way, he needs to do what is best for him and I hope he makes the correct choice because that decision is crucial to his future and irreversible.

Pitt is not necessarily going to crater if he goes, however.

Next Wednesday could even provide a pleasant surprise or two. Pitt has at least one open scholarship. Many players will have to decide on Wednesday whether they remain in the draft or return to college. Of those who return, some will go back to their original teams, but several will also be in the portal.

There will be some talent available, and we should know by the end of next week if any of it is coming to Oakland.

From what I've read, Blake has been doing very well showing his abilities for the NBA scouts. Unfortunately, that makes him more likely to leave.

Personally, I'd really like to see him return because I want to see what he can do when he is "the man." I believe he has a lot more to show us, and he could really shine this season. Either way, he needs to do what is best for him and I hope he makes the correct choice because that decision is crucial to his future and irreversible.

Next Wednesday could even provide a pleasant surprise or two. Pitt has at least one open scholarship. Many players will have to decide on Wednesday whether they remain in the draft or return to college. Of those who return, some will go back to their original teams, but several will also be in the portal.

There will be some talent available, and we should know by the end of next week if any of it is coming to Oakland.
Unless they are grad transfers, they can’t enter the portal and be eligible right away if they’re not already in. The pickings are slim in the portal rn

The best ones will be going to blue bloods with unlimited money looking g to fill their roster.

With Hinson, this is a solid roster that could push for an NCAA bid if everything falls into place and Dior is as good as advertised and plays. Without him, it will be difficult to find the shooting he brings.

A blow yes. Massive? Don't think so.

Massive. Yes. With him, the expectation is the NCAA Tournament. Potentially a better season than last year if Dior is for real and guys improve.

Without him, this team has to play WAY over their heads to make the NCAA Tournament and probably won't get there. Losing him without a replacement is worth 4-5 more losses.

Unfortunately, these message board rumors are usually true. Jordan Addison. Bball players quitting, etc
Well most on the premium board know not to take info from this board seriously. But someone on the premium board did something even worse and posted a rumor he found on a ham and egger blog site elsewhere on the net. Could it be true? Yeah. But normally these things from such places are bogus.

Something tells me he wouldn't be as effective this season at Pitt. Guys like Elliot and Burton commanded defensive respect, and Nelly was a fairly cerebral player who knew where to look. Not sure Hinson would be able to find the spacing he needs this year. I mean a lot of his makes last year weren't even good looks.

Is he better off the dribble than I'm giving him credit for? Because I just didn't see it against ACC competition.

Something tells me he wouldn't be as effective this season at Pitt. Guys like Elliot and Burton commanded defensive respect, and Nelly was a fairly cerebral player who knew where to look. Not sure Hinson would be able to find the spacing he needs this year. I mean a lot of his makes last year weren't even good looks.

Is he better off the dribble than I'm giving him credit for? Because I just didn't see it against ACC competition.
So you don’t want our only proven scorer and shooter back despite adding a supposedly more talented guard in Dior and 2 guards most people are high on? What in the world is with these takes

So you don’t want our only proven scorer and shooter back despite adding a supposedly more talented guard in Dior and 2 guards most people are high on? What in the world is with these takes

This team wasn't terribly far off from being 8-12 in the ACC. A few plays here or there. You lose Nelly, Elliot, Sibande, Burton, and Hinson.....your 5 best players, and you COULD have a disastrous season. Hinson is offense. Period. Yea you give up some rebounding and defense but the guy can score. This team is A LOT worse without him. Tell Alliance 412 to outbid the 2-way deal. WVU is buying up everyone. Can we just pay this dude enough to stay?

That's not what I said at all. I'm speaking from the perspective of Blake Hinson's best interests if he wants to play pro basketball in the future. Being a year older and having worse tape than what he had last season wouldn't do him much good. Obviously it's no guarantee that his tape would be worse, but the possibility certainly exists. I see him as being more of a complementary player than a feature piece.

Massive. Yes. With him, the expectation is the NCAA Tournament. Potentially a better season than last year if Dior is for real and guys improve.

Without him, this team has to play WAY over their heads to make the NCAA Tournament and probably won't get there. Losing him without a replacement is worth 4-5 more losses.
I guess we will have to see.

You don’t think losing our only proven returning scorer and shooter would be a massive blow? That’s quite an odd take
I think the new people on the roster would mitigate the situation somewhat. I said it would be a blow. I just think massive is overstating. JMO

I think the new people on the roster would mitigate the situation somewhat. I said it would be a blow. I just think massive is overstating. JMO
It’s possible, but there’s literally no way to know until they prove it in ACC play. He is a known quantity scoring wise, really our only one. The rest is a mystery, despite having good possibilities

He can play pro basketball at Pitt next year. The NCAA is one of the highest paying pro leagues in the world. Maybe 5th or 6th.

For sure, but that's more of a financial Band-Aid than an investment in one's self. He'd be 24 after next season. Only way I see him being more appealing to the pros at that time is if he really reshapes his body. I don't think having a little extra meat on the bones necessarily has to be a bad thing, but it is for what his game is, in my opinion. He doesn't use his girth to his advantage all that much.

It’s possible, but there’s literally no way to know until they prove it in ACC play. He is a known quantity scoring wise, really our only one. The rest is a mystery, despite having good possibilities
Agree. No sense even speculating till he either stays or goes.

I want Hinson back ten times out of ten, but I think the formula for success is going to be a lot different next season. Better defense; better rebounding; playing more in transition; etc.

I’m shocked. 😏

These kinds of anonymous rumblings on issues like this end up being true much of the time. I think there is reason to be concerned. That would definitely hurt.

Let's just put it this way--it would be the difference between a winning ACC season and possible NCAA berth or a losing ACC season and no chance at an NCAA berth. It's that simple. And that is no exaggeration.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

Let's just put it this way--it would be the difference between a winning ACC season and possible NCAA berth or a losing ACC season and no chance at an NCAA berth. It's that simple. And that is no exaggeration.
Based on where we sit today, it certainly feels like it, but virtually no one saw last year coming, and it's possible that next year's team, evens sans Hinson, could surprise. Would I bet on it? No, but it's certainly possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pittparade

Feels like hysteria to me. Blake is good but he is not Michael Jordan. I don’t see the team tanking because of one player.

Reactions: Pittparade
Assuming he stays and the rest of the roster remains intact, we will start this upcoming season much deeper than we started last season. That may also be true even if he leaves. And having more depth may make next year's team better in some ways. But it's hard to argue right now that his departure wouldn't be a significant blow given he was our leading scorer and the only returning proven shooter.

With Hinson, IMO next year's team as constructed has a decent shot at the dance. Without Hinson, IMO if next year's team makes the dance it would be a surprise of similar magnitude to last season.

Reactions: Protes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT