ADVERTISEMENT

Hinson

Assuming he stays and the rest of the roster remains intact, we will start this upcoming season much deeper than we started last season. That may also be true even if he leaves. And having more depth may make next year's team better in some ways. But it's hard to argue right now that his departure wouldn't be a significant blow given he was our leading scorer and the only returning proven shooter.

With Hinson, IMO next year's team as constructed has a decent shot at the dance. Without Hinson, IMO if next year's team makes the dance it would be a surprise of similar magnitude to last season.

Not only is the team going to have real depth.

The team will be much older than people realize next year.

Dior Johnson is turning 20 years old in January. He isn't an 18 year old freshmen.

Papa Kante and Jaland Lowe will both be 19 years old before the 1st game of the season.

The twins are turning 20 years old next month.

Ishmael Leggett is going into his 4th year of college basketball and is turning 22 next month.

Zach Austin turns 22 in August and is going into his 4th college basketball season since he redshirted.

Fede just turned 22 years old this month.

Blake Hinson is turning 24 in December.

Will Jeffress turns 20 next month.

Carrington and Barnes are the babies of the team. These guys are going to be a "young" 18 going into the season next year. We are not remotely close to being a young team next year.

Not only is the team going to have real depth.

The team will be much older than people realize next year.

Dior Johnson is turning 20 years old in January. He isn't an 18 year old freshmen.

Papa Kante and Jaland Lowe will both be 19 years old before the 1st game of the season.

The twins are turning 20 years old next month.

Ishmael Leggett is going into his 4th year of college basketball and is turning 22 next month.

Zach Austin turns 22 in August and is going into his 4th college basketball season since he redshirted.

Fede just turned 22 years old this month.

Blake Hinson is turning 24 in December.

Will Jeffress turns 20 next month.

Carrington and Barnes are the babies of the team. These guys are going to be a "young" 18 going into the season next year. We are not remotely close to being a young team next year.
We had 4 5th or 6th year guards last year and a 23 year old Hinson. Compared to that team, this team is are babies

Reactions: Jeffburgh
It’s possible, but there’s literally no way to know until they prove it in ACC play. He is a known quantity scoring wise, really our only one. The rest is a mystery, despite having good possibilities

Im going to go back to what you said earlier regarding Papa Kante starting....

I don't know if he is going to start or not. However, I am starting to come around and warm up on the idea that he is going to play quite a bit next year. And I am starting to come around on the idea that we are going to run 2 bigs next year for extended stretches of time.

Let's remember. The last 10 games of last season, our defensive efficiency was ranked 228th in the country which is terrible. And we were getting beat up on the glass. Our only real hope was outscoring people on offense at the backend of last season.

Blake Hinson has reshaped his body. I think the possibility is much more real now that he starts to get "some" run at the 3 next year with Kante and Guillermo manning the 4 and 5 positions. We know Kante specializes in defense, shot blocking, and rebounding.

And with Guillermo, he was averaging 1.7 blocks per game the last 13 straight ACC games combined in only 17 minutes of playing time.

We could be looking at getting a big boost in our rebounding and our defense by running 2 bigs with Hinson getting run at the 3. And this option greatly helps Dior, who is going to look for every opportunity possible to push our fast break transition offense as that is his bread and butter. Lowe also loves to run and push it in transition too.

I do think Kante is going to be a producer much sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

I don't know if he is going to start or not. However, I am starting to come around and warm up on the idea that he is going to play quite a bit next year. And I am starting to come around on the idea that we are going to run 2 bigs next year for extended stretches of time.

Let's remember. The last 10 games of last season, our defensive efficiency was ranked 228th in the country which is terrible. And we were getting beat up on the glass. Our only real hope was outscoring people on offense at the backend of last season.

Blake Hinson has reshaped his body. I think the possibility is much more real now that he starts to get "some" run at the 3 next year with Kante and Guillermo manning the 4 and 5 positions. We know Kante specializes in defense, shot blocking, and rebounding.

And with Guillermo, he was averaging 1.7 blocks per game the last 13 straight ACC games combined in only 17 minutes of playing time.

We could be looking at getting a big boost in our rebounding and our defense by running 2 bigs with Hinson getting run at the 3. And this option greatly helps Dior, who is going to look for every opportunity possible to push our fast break transition offense as that is his bread and butter. Lowe also loves to run and push it in transition too.

Our defense will get absolutely torched with that lineup with minimal if any upgrade on offense.

Kante looks to have great hands for both receiving the ball and especially rebounding. Seems disciplined on the defensive side. I'm not seeing much more than rim-runner/put back type on the offensive end. Which makes me think he's basically last season's Fede with more rebounding upside. Assuming Fede, GDG and JDG all have typical incremental improvements- that's a pretty good collection of bigs.

You could see Kante backing up Fede. GDG behind Hinson with less minutes at the 5 and more of JDG at the 3.

If the guards push the ball they will all need breaks to keep up.

Kante looks to have great hands for both receiving the ball and especially rebounding. Seems disciplined on the defensive side. I'm not seeing much more than rim-runner/put back type on the offensive end. Which makes me think he's basically last season's Fede with more rebounding upside. Assuming Fede, GDG and JDG all have typical incremental improvements- that's a pretty good collection of bigs.

You could see Kante backing up Fede. GDG behind Hinson with less minutes at the 5 and more of JDG at the 3.

Yeah they need to play 3 guards and keep Hinson away from the 3 outside of maybe a few mins a game. He is a 4 in college. No use in pretending otherwise

Although he made a fair about of bad/contested 3’s last year, those
1) may even out from last year.
2) become even harder against a more athletic player at the 3 and less spacing

He’s a spacing mismatch at the 4.

Reactions: pittchagg
Yeah they need to play 3 guards and keep Hinson away from the 3 outside of maybe a few mins a game. He is a 4 in college. No use in pretending otherwise

I'm not sure if you have seen him lately but his built looks a lot different from last season. Maybe he can defend certain 3s now but that's just speculation at this point.

I'm not sure if you have seen him lately but his built looks a lot different from last season. Maybe he can defend certain 3s now but that's just speculation at this point.
That’s good and perhaps it gives him a chance. But from what I saw he’ll need a little injection of want to as well. He was fun to watch on one end of the floor, not quite so much on the other.

I think having Austin and Hinson out there at the same time could be pretty nice for spacing. I’d love to see Carrington step up and be ready physically for big minutes at the 3, though.

Don't know much about Kante, but I'll take your word for his skillset and agree with your premise. Still would love someone who could actually score in the post, though. Like as an actual option - not talking about just mop-up duty. When we teams with legit bigs, however rare that may be these days, it's like they have 5 scoring options to our 4 and the best we can hope for is something close to a net wash.

It’s possible, but there’s literally no way to know until they prove it in ACC play. He is a known quantity scoring wise, really our only one. The rest is a mystery, despite having good possibilities
This pretty much says it all. I’ll avoid discussion about what constitutes “massive” but any team who loses their leading scorer, while already losing their other scorers to graduations is a concern, at least for me.

This pretty much says it all. I’ll avoid discussion about what constitutes “massive” but any team who loses their leading scorer, while already losing their other scorers to graduations is a concern, at least for me.
A reasonable take from an unreasonable person (me)

This is a great thread for
discussion purposes. At
this point I think we can
safely say we have better
depth. However after that
we don't know how our
returning players will mix
wtht the new ones. Last
year we had exceptionl
cohesion, player willingness
to sacrifice for the good
of the whole, and an obvious
buy in to what the coaches
were selling. All this after
four years of the opposite
occuring with and within
this program. Was it luck?
Did Capel suddenly learn
how to manage? As for now,
we don't know, we're just
speculating. I feel we'll
find out once we see
them on the floor in real
time.

I'm remining positive
at this point. I like what
Capel has done this off
season. I now want to see
what he can do managing
this crew he's put together.

I don't see Fede starting. I think Guillermo is the frontrunner to start at center, the same center that started that helped us win 2 NCAA Tournament games when Fede was hurt. Fede had a DR rebound rate of 13.5 for the entire season, which is painfully bad for a center. The bottom line is, Fede isn't a good rebounder. The other issue is, Fede and our defense got exposed badly against any player that sucked Fede out away from the basket either for deep midrange shots or 3 point shots as he couldn't defend when he got stretched out. The entire defensive collapse really started against Virginia Tech where Basile was killing Fede with long range shots and we had very poor rebounding under the basket. Teams started doing this more and more, getting Fede away from the basket, and our entire defense fell off a cliff because of it because the guards couldn't stop dribble penetration and Fede couldn't block shots being 20 feet away from the basket. And we were giving up 2nd chance points like crazy.

In the EYBL and peach jam combined, Kante held his man to 31% shooting for the entire season which is cream of the crop level in high school basketball. Kante held his man to .55 points per possession. And the opposing team scored on 23% of the possessions they had the ball against him. The NY Rens were arguably the top defensive team in AAU basketball and Kante was the main driver why. It is not a stretch of the imagination at all that Kante is going to be our best defensive player and most efficient rebounding player on both ends of the floor starting on day 1. Im not concerned with the offense as long as there are legit 3 point shooters on the floor and Kante understands his shooting limitations. Kante can make shots. He shot 30% in the EYBL from 3 and 38% from 3 his senior season. The problem is, when he starts missing these shots, he doesn't know when to stop shooting them and he can be very inconsistent. Capel will yank him out if he starts getting shot happy like in stretches in the EYBL.

However, lets remember Kante shot 60% from the floor in the EYBL and scored 10ppg. The last time we had a player anywhere close to 60% shooting with double digit scoring in summer play was Steve Adams. His efficiency was strong and would be a lot stronger if he had better shot selection.

I think Kante has quite a few similarities to Josh Boone. Boone was the starting freshmen power forward for Uconn in 2004 and won the national title. He also backed up Center and Boone had zero game what so ever outside 10 feet. What Boone did, however, was bring elite defense, rebounding, and shot blocking to the table, and was a highly efficient scoring inside 10 feed of the basket with short range jumpers, putbacks, dunks, layups, etc.. Boone also could run the floor very well at 6'10 and Uconn overpowered teams on the inside with Boone and Okafor with Rashad Anderson killing them from 3 as the sniper who couldn't play defense and Ben Gordon being the 3 level scorer.

As for the 3 position, lets not forget we just won 24 games this year with Greg Elliot starting. Elliot was 6'2, could barely dunk the basketball and is a below average athlete, and was consistently beat off the dribble all year long. The last time Elliot dunked a basketball in a college basketball game was the year 2018.

2 of the biggest reasons we were so weak defensively this year was because of Elliot and Cummings. For as good as they were on offense, they couldn't stop anybody on defense and couldn't stop anybody with dribble pentation and keeping their man out of the paint. They were both very small for their position, both were unathletic, and both were heavy footed on defense with very minimal athletic ability. A slimmed down Hinson should easily and I mean easily be no worse than Elliot playing defense last year. Hinson has almost 5 inches on him and is a better athlete and with 2 legit shot blockers that can rebound on the backline, it will make things a lot easier.

Lastly, I can see Kante taking on the best offensive frontcourt weapon on the opposing team. Whether that is the 4 or 5 from the opposing team, Guillermo can take the weaker player.

Last edited:
Reactions: singregardless
Right now, we have too many unknowns to make any kinds of accurate or legitimate predictions about this coming year. We could (probably will) lose Hinson now, we don't know if or for how long Dior will be around, and we have a bunch of freshmen who are unproven with no experience at the college level. Getting any kind of production from them this year, any kind at all, will be a bonus. I take all of their hype and reports with a very small grain of salt. We have some experienced transfers, but we haven't seen them play in ACC play yet. We have some experience with the twins and Fede.

This year we could be anywhere from a 12 win team to a 20 win team. But probably somewhere between those 2 numbers. It's all very speculative with so many unknowns and very little to count on.

Right now, we have too many unknowns to make any kinds of accurate or legitimate predictions about this coming year. We could (probably will) lose Hinson now, we don't know if or for how long Dior will be around, and we have a bunch of freshmen who are unproven with no experience at the college level. Getting any kind of production from them this year, any kind at all, will be a bonus. I take all of their hype and reports with a very small grain of salt. We have some experienced transfers, but we haven't seen them play in ACC play yet. We have some experience with the twins and Fede.

This year we could be anywhere from a 12 win team to a 20 win team. But probably somewhere between those 2 numbers. It's all very speculative with so many unknowns and very little to count on.

Here are the last 4 games of last season when Guillermo took over as the full time starter at center. These games were against Duke ( the acc champion), Xavier (sweet 16 team), Mississippi State and Iowa State (NCAA Teams). We won 2 of these games.

31 minutes per game

9.25 points per game
7.25 rebounds per game
2 blocks per game
2 assist per game
.5 turnover per game
43% FG percentage

ORTG offensive power ratings against these teams 138, 44, 162, 119

I will double down on what I keep saying. He was good last year as a freshmen with a chance to be really good in the future. And I think he is going to be fine at either the 4 or 5 although I like him at the 5. If he puts on some weight this summer and if he hits the gym hard, we could be flipping the switch quickly with our future frontcourt.

Reactions: VincePITT
That MFer better come back, if he doesnt i know...... i went to the pete last year ...
electric

Fede will continue to improve and what he was criticized for above is all teachable stuff unrelated to talent or athleticism.
When your #3 and #4 don't rebound or box out a lick, I'd tend to think it makes things a little more difficult for the #5 to grab boards. But hey, what do I know?

When your #3 and #4 don't rebound or box out a lick, I'd tend to think it makes things a little more difficult for the #5 to grab boards. But hey, what do I know?
I don’t know about this. Fede just wasn’t a good rebounder last year, plain and simple. Blake, Elliott, and Nike all had higher defensive rebounding percentages than Fede did. Blake was better on the defensive glass than Fede was by almost every measurement, and Nike was one of the better rebounding guards in the conference. And Elliott’s rebounding numbers were pretty much equal to Fede’s - something that just shouldn’t happen. But that says more about Fede than any of those other guys IMO.

Reactions: jpklein
Feels like hysteria to me. Blake is good but he is not Michael Jordan. I don’t see the team tanking because of one player.
Maybe you haven’t taken a good look at the rest of the roster.

Hinson is the only proven scorer and shooter. Age and experience matter. The players that got us there last season were all older, mature, experienced, and battle hardened.

Anyone relying on nothing but Fede, the freshmen and the twins to lead Pitt to a winning ACC season and the tournament is likely to be very disappointed.

Hinson is the only proven scorer and shooter. Age and experience matter. The players that got us there last season were all older, mature, experienced, and battle hardened.

Anyone relying on nothing but Fede, the freshmen and the twins to lead Pitt to a winning ACC season and the tournament is likely to be very disappointed.
There is exactly one returning player in all of college basketball who made more 3 pointers at a high major school last year than Blake did: Kam Jones at Marquette, who made 100 threes to Blake’s 97. Losing him would be an enormous loss.

I don’t think we’re going to lose him, though.

So you are saying if Blake doesn’t come back we should just pack it in? That’s hysterical bullshit.

• Angry
Reactions: Hail412Pitt
There is exactly one returning player in all of college basketball who made more 3 pointers at a high major school last year than Blake did: Kam Jones at Marquette, who made 100 threes to Blake’s 97. Losing him would be an enormous loss.

I don’t think we’re going to lose him, though.

It would be a knock on Pitt's ability to pay guys if we lose a guy to the G-league. WVU is going to have a payroll of about $1 million next season and are trying to convince Olivier Nkamhoua to come off their bench instead of playing in the G-league. There is absolutely no reason why Pitt should lose a player like Hinson to the G-league. We should be paying much more than what they would pay

The first time I saw Hinson play in practice I knew he was a baller and if he chooses not to come back to Pitt it would be a huge loss for the program.

No doubt his biggest skill is hitting the long range jumper which is a must for his success at the next level .

Being out of ball for the prior two yrs there’s a lot of upside left to his game and I hope we get to see it with him wearing a Pitt uniform next season.

Watching the NBA playoff games the size and athleticism of the players is spectacular and I’m just not sure Hinson showed last season the quickness right now to be successful at that level . He’s physically strong enough though.

While I believe he’d be better off staying at Pitt and work on his fitness it will all come down to money . It’s not the college lifestyle vs the pro it’s the NIL vs whatever he thinks he can get from the pros . Hopefully Pitt has enough in its NIL coffers to be competitive plus Pitts money is guaranteed .

Reactions: FireballZ
I’m saying if Hinson leaves, lower your expectations for the season-I.e., forget about making the tournament. It will be a tall enough task for this year’s team with him. Highly unlikely without him.

100% agree. We'll lack the experience, leadership and scoring. I think we'll get better on defense (we'll have to), but with so much inexperience and unknowns, a 20 win season is a bit of a stretch until the new guys can come together as a team and gain much more experience. That probably won't be this year.

• Haha

If you look hard enough you will always find something to be negative about. You are a human black cloud.

If you look hard enough you will always find something to be negative about. You are a human black cloud.

No, just realistic. I'm actually quite the opposite. I'm a very optimistic person, but not stupid. You on the other hand, like so many on this board, are only here to criticize, belittle and call others names and troll. Great Pitt fanbase we have if this board is a representation of what it is.

• Haha
If he doesn't come back,
the outlook obviously
isn't as good as if he were
to return. How much will
Fede, and the twins improve?
Is Dior a risk, or does he
turn out to be the real deal?
How good are the transfers
and the new recruits? Can
they compete and win in the
ACC? How well does Capel
fit these pieces into a
cohesive and successful
team?

We have no definitive answer
to these questions. Last year
we had the same questions.
Most on here (most, not all),
did not expect or predict
the successful season we had.
I have no idea, and won't
predict. Once I see em in real
time, I will. Until then, I 'll be
optimistic

If he doesn't come back,
the outlook obviously
isn't as good as if he were
to return. How much will
Fede, and the twins improve?
Is Dior a risk, or does he
turn out to be the real deal?
How good are the transfers
and the new recruits? Can
they compete and win in the
ACC? How well does Capel
fit these pieces into a
cohesive and successful
team?

We have no definitive answer
to these questions. Last year
we had the same questions.
Most on here (most, not all),
did not expect or predict
the successful season we had.
I have no idea, and won't
predict. Once I see em in real
time, I will. Until then, I 'll be
optimistic
The difference last year was the core of the team was in their early 20s and collectively had a lot of basketball mileage on their tires.

The difference last year was the core of the team was in their early 20s and collectively had a lot of basketball mileage on their tires.
Yup, very true. I want
To see how well Capel
can make this crew jell
before I pass judgement.
That goes with or without
Hinson. We'll see.

It would be a knock on Pitt's ability to pay guys if we lose a guy to the G-league. WVU is going to have a payroll of about $1 million next season and are trying to convince Olivier Nkamhoua to come off their bench instead of playing in the G-league. There is absolutely no reason why Pitt should lose a player like Hinson to the G-league. We should be paying much more than what they would pay
Double that payroll. All out for Huggins last year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT