ADVERTISEMENT

Hinson

You did it! It is fixed.

The text is going all the way across the screen now.
Really? Well that's a first! I'd like to brag about my computer,
skills, but that would be a lie. This idiot (myself) doesn't even know
what he did if it really is fixed. Geeze, maybe now my posts will actually
get read on here. If anyone helped from afar with this, THANKS!
Actually it still looks a little odd, every other line.

Really? Well that's a first! I'd like to brag about my computer,
skills, but that would be a lie. This idiot (myself) doesn't even know
what he did if it really is fixed. Geeze, maybe now my posts will actually
get read on here. If anyone helped from afar with this, THANKS!
Actually it still looks a little odd, every other line.
Thanks,
Chescat!
This
is
going
to
make
things
better
for
all
Lair
posters!
😁😁😁

Jordan Hawkins of Uconn made 109 three balls in D1 last year. 63% of Hawkins total shots last year were from 3 point range. Hawkins had an OR rebound rate of 4. And Uconn had the #2 ranked rebound margin in D1 college basketball and won the national championship.

This is the difference. If Pitt wants to be a bubble NCAA Tournament team again (which was just fine after the last 8 or so years), stick with Greg Elliot type players.

If Pitt wants to go deeper in the NCAA Tournament, then replace the Greg Elliot and Joe Girard types and recruit better more athletic players that get after it on the glass while still shooting at a high level.

And this is a great discussion point for this season regarding Papa Kante. It seems the majority of the people here want better offense while sacrificing defense and rebounding once again which was last seasons downfall. If we are to increase our defensive efficiency and rebounding by a large margin, we are going to run 2 bigs a lot more often than we have been doing in a long time.

I think it is quite realistic Kante can / potentially will force his way into bigger minutes at the expense of other players that can shoot better from the outside.

I think a real effort needs to be made to move Hinson to the 3 like Sam Young as a senior and Artis as a junior (before Stallings moved him to PG).

PG - Dior 30 Lowe 10
SG - Legget 30 Lowe/Carrington 10
SF - Hinson 20 Jeffress/Austin 20
PF - Committee (Jorge 14, Kante 14, Hinson 12)
C - Fed 25 Guillermo 15

I think a real effort needs to be made to move Hinson to the 3 like Sam Young as a senior and Artis as a junior (before Stallings moved him to PG).

PG - Dior 30 Lowe 10
C - Fed 25 Guillermo 15
I can see the logic of Hinson getting time at the 3 as your chart
shows. However Austin splitting time with Jeffress? Austin in
two yrs averaged 14ppg, and he rebounds. 8rpg, one yr, and 5.2
the following year. Of course this was at High Point and not Duke.
He also was 17th in the country in blocked shots (not bad for 6'7").

Jeffress? Well I admit I praised his play when he frst came in. I
thought he'd develop early. He didn't, and now after missing a
year due to injury, I don't see much from him this yr. I hope I'm
wrong. One thing for sure, Capel has all kinds of mix and match
options at the 3 and 4. If Hinson gets time at the three, as you are
suggesting I feel Austin gets the minutes at the 4. Jeffress?I don't
see it. He might be 8th or 9th in this rotation.

Last edited:
I can see the logic of Hinson getting time at the 3 as your chart
shows. However Austin splitting time with Jeffress? Austin in
two yrs averaged 14ppg, and he rebounds. 8rpg, one yr, and 5.2
the following year. Of course this was at High Point and not Duke.
He also was 17th in the country in blocked shots (not bad for 6'7").

Jeffress? Well I admit I praised his play when he frst came in. I
thought he'd develop early. He didn't, and now after missing a
year due to injury, I don't see much from him this yr. I hope I'm
wrong. One thing for sure, Capel has all kinds of mix and match
options at the 3 and 4. If Hinson gets time at the three, as you are
suggesting I feel Austin gets the minutes at the 4. Jeffress?I don't
see it. He might be 8th or 9th in this rotation.
You went from being unique to just another poster !

PG - Dior 30 Lowe 10
C - Fed 25 Guillermo 15
He. Cannot. Play. The. 3.

Sam played almost exclusively the 4

Reactions: jpklein
He. Cannot. Play. The. 3.

Sam played almost exclusively the 4
Well, let's take a look at it. He definitely has the ability to hit the
three pointer. He clearly showed that last seson. As for his floor
game from the 3, IMO he's not a 3. I hear his physique is more
slim and chiseled this year. That's a good thing, but he's probably
still not quick. The question to ask..... is Austin a 3? He can score
(14ppg at High Point), he rebounds, and is a shot blocker. Sounding
like a 4 maybe? I obviously haven't seen him, but my sense is he
has the stats of a 4. I wouldn't be surprised to see Capel play them
where the match ups are best for us. As for the back-ups, we have
all kinds of possibilities for the four and a few for the 3. Jeffress? I
hope so, but so far he han't got me convinved.

Sam played almost exclusively the 3 as a senior. Biggs was the 4.
This is absolutely incorrect, but the exact response I expected from you.

Biggs would move to the 5 as soon as Fella got in foul trouble or Sam would move to the 4 as soon as Gilbert was inserted for Biggs. At best the split was 50/50, at the absolute BEST. Biggs played as much 5 as he did 4.

And when Sam was a junior and ONLY played the 4, he was a much better defender because he was stronger and more athletic than all the 4’s. And his offense was much better because he was a mismatch nightmare.

We already know Hinson can’t defend 4’s. So let’s move him to the 3 to guard quicker players (almost exclusively guards or NBA players if they’re his size) and take away his mismatch on offense.

Moving Hinson to the 3 is an asinine move

Biggs would move to the 5 as soon as Fella got in foul trouble or Sam would move to the 4 as soon as Gilbert was inserted for Biggs. At best the split was 50/50, at the absolute BEST. Biggs played as much 5 as he did 4.

And when Sam was a junior and ONLY played the 4, he was a much better defender because he was stronger and more athletic than all the 4’s. And his offense was much better because he was a mismatch nightmare.

We already know Hinson can’t defend 4’s. So let’s move him to the 3 to guard quicker players (almost exclusively guards or NBA players if they’re his size) and take away his mismatch on offense.

Pitt vs Uconn 2009, Uconn was the #1 ranked team in the country. The stage doesn't get any bigger than that in the regular season.

Pitt starting 5

Fields, Dixon, Young, Biggs, Blair

Zach Austin stats look like a 4 because he played stretch 4 at High Point.

Pitt vs Uconn 2009, Uconn was the #1 ranked team in the country. The stage doesn't get any bigger than that in the regular season.

Pitt starting 5

Fields, Dixon, Young, Biggs, Blair

Biggs also started 36 games in 2009.

Zach Austin stats look like a 4 because he played stretch 4 at High Point.
Thanks for that. As I previously pointed out, I haven't seen Austin play,
but his "Stats" indicated he was a four. My question remains....is he,
or can he be a 3 on this team? As far as Hinson, I mentioned his lack
of quicknes (not to mention his bulk). As for his defense Bball mentioned
defense. Either he's slow, lazy, or whatever....but his D was awful last
year. At this point, without seeing how they all jell, I would like to see
both Hinson and Austin on the floor at the same time. We'll see.

Another L. Sam started at the 3. When Biggs went to C, GB went to the 4 but more of a 4 guard look. Remember when had numerous discussions back then about GB at the 4. DT remembers.

PG - Dior 30 Lowe 10
C - Fed 25 Guillermo 15
I think the key is to get your best player in the best position to score. Hinson is clearly our best player. He’s a matchup nightmare at the 4, but I agree that there will be lineups where he will play some 3 because of the depth we have at the 4 and 5.

This team obviously doesn’t have a player as good as Blair, but this team will have significantly more frontcourt depth than the 08-09 team, as we will go legit 6 deep at the 4/5.

To me, the key player in all of this is Austin. If he’s like one of those crazy underrated kids who can roll at the 3, you can leave Hinson at the 4.

I think we are more likely to see a 30/10 split at the 3 with Austin and Jeffers combining for 30, and Hinson at 10. Then Hinson gets 20+ at the 4, with the remaining going to Jorge/Kante

I think the key is to get your best player in the best position to score. Hinson is clearly our best player. He’s a matchup nightmare at the 4, but I agree that there will be lineups where he will play some 3 because of the depth we have at the 4 and 5.

This team obviously doesn’t have a player as good as Blair, but this team will have significantly more frontcourt depth than the 08-09 team, as we will go legit 6 deep at the 4/5.

To me, the key player in all of this is Austin. If he’s like one of those crazy underrated kids who can roll at the 3, you can leave Hinson at the 4.

I think we are more likely to see a 30/10 split at the 3 with Austin and Jeffers combining for 30, and Hinson at 10. Then Hinson gets 20+ at the 4, with the remaining going to Jorge/Kante

I dont disagree. A lot also depend on Guillermo/Kante development. If they are both "plus" players next year and can rebound, they have to get minutes in a double big lineup which moves Hinson down to the 3.

Hinson guarding the 3 is a problem. But also if teams put a 6'3 guard on him, he has the post skills to score in the low block.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
Another L. Sam started at the 3. When Biggs went to C, GB went to the 4 but more of a 4 guard look. Remember when had numerous discussions back then about GB at the 4. DT remembers.
You’d certainly know more about Jamie’s distinction of which played which than me… (sarcasm font)

Hinson at the 4 is the only way this team wins games. If he plays the 3, we will get absolutely smoked by every ACC team that has even a decent 3 man. He can’t defend his own shadow

I dont disagree. A lot also depend on Guillermo/Kante development. If they are both "plus" players next year and can rebound, they have to get minutes in a double big lineup which moves Hinson down to the 3.

Hinson guarding the 3 is a problem. But also if teams put a 6'3 guard on him, he has the post skills to score in the low block.

You have the option to play Kante at the 5 and Guillermo at the 4 with Kante taking the best offensive frontcourt player on the opposing team on the defensive end.

If Kante is this teams best defensive player and rebounding player "overall" on the entire roster and you play him at the 5, then the question then becomes,

Who is better and who is going to help the team win more, Zach Austin or Guillermo.

Because Hinson is going to score 16- 20 points per game next year playing the 3 or 4 and it really doesn't matter which position he is at on offense. Hinson is 6'7 and can shoot from 30 feet out and is a matchup problem at either position. He's one of the best 3 point shooters in the country and now that he actually looks like a basketball player by getting into shape instead of looking like an overweight tight end, he is going to move far faster with or without the ball in his hands.

And opposed to last years team where we were really limited in terms of players that could dribble drive off the PNR, we have 2 players that thrive in the pick and roll and are going to use the dribble drive a lot in Dior and Lowe and a lot of defensive players are going to have their hands full slowing it down.

Last years team couldn't play defense. Our defensive efficiency ranked 228th in the country the last 10 games of the season. So we should stop talking about players from last years team that had defensive impact, because the only plus defender we had on the entire roster last year was Burton.

And Nelly Cummings and Greg Elliot were beat off the dribble all year long. They were 2 of the weakest defensive players in the ACC and all of the power 6 because they both were

1) Small for their position
2) Unathletic
3) Heavy footed with an inability to close out shooters

I think Guillermo could start. I don’t think it’s a given Fede wins that job. Guillermo was a really good player in some really big games.

Hinson’s post game is underrated. He has that step back shot, he just didn’t use it much because most of our sets were driving with Burton and Nelly and kicking for jump shots.

Pitt is going to have an advantage on 90% of the teams on the schedule, maybe more, in the frontcourt. It’s figuring out how to use that edge where Capel needs to find the sweet spot.

It’s just really hard to take Hinson away from the 4 when he can just shoot the ball so well from that spot. Sam was a freak. A freak athlete at the college level and a quicker guy off the bounce to where he could play at the 3. Artis, sort of the same, much better passer than either Sam or Hinson. But Hinson, by far, is the best shooter of the bunch, the most range, maybe the most natural scorer. I think 21-23 ppg this year is in play.

I dunno - I see both sides of the argument. I don’t think there’s a wrong answer.

I think Guillermo could start. I don’t think it’s a given Fede wins that job. Guillermo was a really good player in some really big games.

Hinson’s post game is underrated. He has that step back shot, he just didn’t use it much because most of our sets were driving with Burton and Nelly and kicking for jump shots.

Pitt is going to have an advantage on 90% of the teams on the schedule, maybe more, in the frontcourt. It’s figuring out how to use that edge where Capel needs to find the sweet spot.

It’s just really hard to take Hinson away from the 4 when he can just shoot the ball so well from that spot. Sam was a freak. A freak athlete at the college level and a quicker guy off the bounce to where he could play at the 3. Artis, sort of the same, much better passer than either Sam or Hinson. But Hinson, by far, is the best shooter of the bunch, the most range, maybe the most natural scorer. I think 21-23 ppg this year is in play.

I dunno - I see both sides of the argument. I don’t think there’s a wrong answer.

The efficiency numbers in ACC Conference play "only" are close between Guillermo and Fede across the board.

However,

There is one significant difference when you dig into the advanced numbers.

From the Virginia Tech game onward, when teams started figuring out that Fede is no where close to the same player when you get him away from the basket on defense and stretch him out, Fede's numbers started to nosedive as did our overall team defense.

As for Guillermo, he took over the full time starting position when Fede got hurt and his numbers were even better against NCAA Teams like Duke, Xavier, Iowa State and Mississippi State, showing that, he made considerable improvement throughout the season and that he is capable of starting and helping his team beat NCAA Tournament teams, which is more than a lot of the rest of our roster can say.

With that said, any team that has a 5 that can shoot from 3 and pull Fede away from the basket and we are left with Hinson at the 4, we are going to be giving up substantial 2nd point opportunities to the other team unless the rest of our team steps up the rebounding or Hinson really steps up his rebounding with his newly shaped body.

The efficiency numbers in ACC Conference play "only" are close between Guillermo and Fede across the board.

However,

There is one significant difference when you dig into the advanced numbers.

From the Virginia Tech game onward, when teams started figuring out that Fede is no where close to the same player when you get him away from the basket on defense and stretch him out, Fede's numbers started to nosedive as did our overall team defense.

As for Guillermo, he took over the full time starting position when Fede got hurt and his numbers were even better against NCAA Teams like Duke, Xavier, Iowa State and Mississippi State, showing that, he made considerable improvement throughout the season and that he is capable of starting and helping his team beat NCAA Tournament teams, which is more than a lot of the rest of our roster can say.

With that said, any team that has a 5 that can shoot from 3 and pull Fede away from the basket and we are left with Hinson at the 4, we are going to be giving up substantial 2nd point opportunities to the other team unless the rest of our team steps up the rebounding or Hinson really steps up his rebounding with his newly shaped body.

Do you have Hinson's defensive numbers as a freshman and sophomore?

He was really playing his way into game-shape all season. With that said, ending up all ACC is extremely impressive given he wasn't in peak form.

We have three guys who are Bigs and can play the 5 and all
will be getting minutes. Guillermo can play the 5 and 4. Fede
is a 5 and NOT a 4. Kante IMO is a 5 and I'm doubtful as to
what he can do as a 4 despite what his coach says. Jorge I'm
not counting, as I see him getting very limited minutes.. The
question again comes down to Hinson and Austin. If they both
are on the floor at the same time, one of them is a 3 and the
other a 4. If Hinson gets minutes as a 3, who does he guard?
Austin's stats indicate he's a 4 (rebounding, blocked shots). I
gotta believe he's better on D than Hinson has showed us. A
perfect scenario would be Hinson upping his game on D. HA!
If Kante gets real minutes, then Gullermo will probably get
minutes at the four which would allow Hinson and Austin to
spit some time,,,at the 4? and maybe the 3? By the way, Jefferrs
is way down in the rotation in this scenario.

Regardless, it's a given that Hinson as an outside shot threat
must be getting major minutes. Let's see what Capel cooks up with
this mix.

You’d certainly know more about Jamie’s distinction of which played which than me… (sarcasm font)

Hinson at the 4 is the only way this team wins games. If he plays the 3, we will get absolutely smoked by every ACC team that has even a decent 3 man. He can’t defend his own shadow

So, when Blair, Biggs, and Young were all in (and that WAS the starting lineup), Biggs played the 3?

So, when Blair, Biggs, and Young were all in (and that WAS the starting lineup), Biggs played the 3?
I already said Sam was the 3 in the situation. This was toree Morris Lineup. Sam spent minimum 50 percent of his time at the 4 even his senior year. He was a much better 3. And he was better and more versatile on both ends than Hinson. It’s a silly comparison from a silly poster.

And when Biggs inevitably moved over to the 5, he was much better than he was at the 4.

Gilbert Brown played 0.0 minutes at the 4

Reactions: whirlybird optio
I already said Sam was the 3 in the situation. This was toree Morris Lineup. Sam spent minimum 50 percent of his time at the 4 even his senior year. He was a much better 3. And he was better and more versatile on both ends than Hinson. It’s a silly comparison from a silly poster.

And when Biggs inevitably moved over to the 5, he was much better than he was at the 4.

Gilbert Brown played 0.0 minutes at the 4

It was a 4 guard lineup when Brown was in and Brown guarded the 4 on defense.

If they do go Hinson at the 3, disguising him on a wing in a zone would be good.

What would be an interesting way to use him is in the middle of the 2-3 zone and have both twins on the wings. You’d never give up a corner 3!

You cant play zone anymore for extended periods. Teams shoot it too well.

Do you have Hinson's defensive numbers as a freshman and sophomore?

He was really playing his way into game-shape all season. With that said, ending up all ACC is extremely impressive given he wasn't in peak form.

Drtg defensive rating, lower is better

Freshmen season- 107.2
Sophomore season- 103.3
skipped year
Junior season- 104.2

DR rebound rate by year

I don't think much conclusion can be taken away from this, but he has steadily improved on defensive end rebounding every year and I expect that trend to continue next year.

Our guards and wings need to really pick it up rebounding the ball if we are lining up Hinson full time at the 4. Its not that Hinson was a terrible rebounder, his numbers were slightly better than Sam Young as a senior. But we need the rest of the team to be a lot better rebounding than what we were this past year, especially at center with Fede under the basket if we are going to be better than a bubble team.

Anyone can play any position as long as they score more points than the guy playing the same position in the other team and his team scores more than the other team while he’s on the floor.

It’s all about the +/-

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT