ADVERTISEMENT

Horton arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line is the court system in the US doesn’t usually go against cops. A drunk person who is acting disorderly and calling a police woman a bitch than hits an officer in the face while being arrested isn’t getting the benefit of the doubt in this country from the prosecutor or courts. Especially with it on police cams, street cams, and with an eye witness.
He will be guilty and I don’t think this is a slap on the wrist. If he plays again it won’t be much. It is what it is even if the cops did some instigating.
Horton calling the cop a “bitch” isn’t something I’ve seen yet.

Reactions: blk902
I would give him 0 games. He most likely will be suspended like 10 games or so. He will play for us again. I was right about Hugley and you were wrong. It will happen again.
Good job. You got one win in your entire posting history on Pantherlair. I bet you can sleep tonight. We sleep in May. Except for you who watches May Madness after a zillion posts about it last year!

"As the officers walked away, Horton allegedly yelled at the officers, which included a derogatory comment directed at a female officer."

So everything was "over." Officers leaving the scene, drunk dude yells something and they cuff him? This type of sh!t needs to stop. If that is true and they arrested a drunk guy for yelling something derogatory, he should be given a 0 game suspension and also sue the PPD. These cops think they are Superman sometimes. Just walk the eff away. Dude is drunk. Its 2AM. Don't try to be a tough guy. This is a perfect example of over-policing.

Whose fault is it that the idiot is drunk? Whose fault is it that he yelled something derogatory at a cop instead of being a man and walking away? Horton is a coward and shouldn't be on any team, if the accusations are true. Besides, he got himself in this situation and it's on him.

Why do some people refuse to take responsibility for their stupidity and want to blame it on others or retaliate to show how dumb they really are?

Did he hit a female cop?

As for courts siding with cops…maybe. All I know is that often times criminals play the victim card and the real victim gets a raw deal.

Whose fault is it that the idiot is drunk? Whose fault is it that he yelled something derogatory at a cop instead of being a man and walking away? Horton is a coward and shouldn't be on any team, if the accusations are true. Besides, he got himself in this situation and it's on him.

Why do some people refuse to take responsibility for their stupidity and want to blame it on others or retaliate to show how dumb they really are?

Cops trying to be badasses. Don't even get me started. The guy was drunk (which is legal) and was pissed his car was getting towed. If the cops weren't trying to be badasses, this never would have happened. No, you should never resist arrest or strike a cop, even by accident but the cops escalated this situation as they do in many situations. What purpose does it serve to arrest someone for calling the cop a derogatory name? I didn't know disrespect was a crime. Don't even get me started. I hope Horton is in the starting lineup Tuesday.

Reactions: UPitthoops
I think Capel should be more concerned with doing the right thing in this situation rather than giving one of his players up to an angry mob to try and get some more job security.
The mob consists of maybe 25 posters , the real problem is that nobody else really cares about Pitt bb anymore .

JC definitely needs to do what’s right both for both the kid and the program . Sacrificing anyone just to show that your tough is a disgraceful way to use your position of authority .

Horton shouldn’t have been out with an underage girl ( for alcohol consumption ) in the first place , especially in an area noted for trouble , but what actually happened who knows . I‘m pretty sure she was the only underage kid in any of the bars on the Southside with fake IDs that night and Horton’s the only guy whose freaked out to see his car being towed !

I know police never go overboard ! Let the facts speak for themselves , until then it’s only fair to withhold judgment . Putting this on anyone other than those personally involved is wrong .

Reactions: TWPitt and Drew1208
The mob consists of maybe 25 posters , the real problem is that nobody else really cares about Pitt bb anymore .

JC definitely needs to do what’s right both for both the kid and the program . Sacrificing anyone just to show that your tough is a disgraceful way to use your position of authority .

Horton shouldn’t have been out with an underage girl ( for alcohol consumption ) in the first place , especially in an area noted for trouble , but what actually happened who knows . I‘m pretty sure she was the only underage kid in any of the bars on the Southside with fake IDs that night and Horton’s the only guy whose freaked out to see his car being towed !

I know police never go overboard ! Let the facts speak for themselves , until then it’s only fair to withhold judgment . Putting this on anyone other than those personally involved is wrong .

Exactly. This really isnt a big deal unless Horton wound up and punched the cop for no reason. That would be a season suspension. As we drill down to the role the cops played (such as arresting him for calling them a naughty name) and the intent of the strike, the suspension goes down from there.....to almost nothing depending on the exact details

Agreed

Cops trying to be badasses. Don't even get me started. The guy was drunk (which is legal) and was pissed his car was getting towed. If the cops weren't trying to be badasses, this never would have happened. No, you should never resist arrest or strike a cop, even by accident but the cops escalated this situation as they do in many situations. What purpose does it serve to arrest someone for calling the cop a derogatory name? I didn't know disrespect was a crime. Don't even get me started. I hope Horton is in the starting lineup Tuesday.
You’re assuming the cops were being “badasses”?

Horton allegedly hit a cop after he ran from him, and it’s the cop’s fault in your eyes.

I‘m not at all surprised that your take on the situation is as wrong as your take on 99% of the things you comment on.

I’m guessing you would also have been okay if the car were taken off of the tow truck and Horton been allowed to drive away.

Also, depending on what Horton said or did to the tow truck driver, his public drunkenness may not have been legal, as you state.

The bending over backwards to absolve a marginal player in the hopes that we win an extra game or two tells you everything you need to know about where this program is and why so many refuse to buy the “Nothing to see, All is Well!” optimism as long as this current staff is in place.

There is no culture on this team. In two seasons we’ve had two players arrested for alleged serious infractions and a host of stories/rumors about off court issues amongst the team that led to the departure of some talented players. Combine that with the lack of discernible progress on the court and it’s really hard to come up with any reasons why Capel’s seat shouldn’t be red hot.

You’re assuming the cops were being “badasses”?

Horton allegedly hit a cop after he ran from him, and it’s the cop’s fault in your eyes.

I‘m not at all surprised that your take on the situation is as wrong as your take on 99% of the things you comment on.

I’m guessing you would also have been okay if the car were taken off of the tow truck and Horton been allowed to drive away.

Also, depending on what Horton said or did to the tow truck driver, his public drunkenness may not have been legal, as you state.
His take on it is a sad statement.

Yeah, the cops may have been jerks in this incident, repeat ‘may’ have. But without knowing the details, to say it with certainty like SMF says there’s some bias going in.

Horton sounds like he behaved like a complete immature ! You hit someone in law enforcement you deserve to be in deep shit, which he is……
Why worry about keeping him around. He’s barely average and we suck anyway.

The bending over backwards to absolve a marginal player in the hopes that we win an extra game or two tells you everything you need to know about where this program is and why so many refuse to buy the “Nothing to see, All is Well!” optimism as long as this current staff is in place.

There is no culture on this team. In two seasons we’ve had two players arrested for alleged serious infractions and a host of stories/rumors about off court issues amongst the team that led to the departure of some talented players. Combine that with the lack of discernible progress on the court and it’s really hard to come up with any reasons why Capel’s seat shouldn’t be red hot.
Eh, I’d feel the exact same way if this particular incident involved Billy Smith, a Junior English major.

Reactions: Ski11585
So Horton is intoxicated and was going to drive his car when it was being towed?? Sounds like this kid has bigger issues than just hitting a cop.

Reactions: gary2
Let’s all remember that even if this DIDNT happen…Ithiel Horton also absolutely SUCKS, at everything. He is the kid at your local Y who plays no defense, does nothing at all to help the team win besides stand at the 3 point line and brick most of them. He would be on 0 other ACC rosters and we do not need him, like others have said…why do we even want him at this point?

Let’s all remember that even if this DIDNT happen…Ithiel Horton also absolutely SUCKS, at everything. He is the kid at your local Y who plays no defense, does nothing at all to help the team win besides stand at the 3 point line and brick most of them. He would be on 0 other ACC rosters and we do not need him, like others have said…why do we even want him at this point?
Horton would get time for a bunch of ACC teams this year, even if he might not start (and he wasn’t going to start here until Sibande got hurt). But he’s a perfectly fine ACC rotation player who shot 39% from three in ACC games last year. No need for this level of hyperbole.

Horton would get time for a bunch of ACC teams this year, even if he might not start (and he wasn’t going to start here until Sibande got hurt). But he’s a perfectly fine ACC rotation player who shot 39% from three in ACC games last year. No need for this level of hyperbole.
He was going to start. All of Odukale, Horton and Nike were going to start.

That is Capel’s preferred style of play.

At least that will change.

Ithiel Horton is not good at basketball man, he looked ok for us (barely) at times , in spurts, because of the complete lack of talent in this program, you’re right, he might get like 7 minutes a game at BC

Reactions: cease10
Horton also walked off the court at one point and showed a complete lack of respect towards Capel as he was trying to talk to him. Horton has a lot of growing up to do.

I have to agree with this. We cannot afford to have another upperclassmen headcase that is a distraction in the locker room.

I do think Horton is substantially better than people think... He averaged 9.9 ppg in ACC play last year on 39% from 3 as a sophomore and had the 2nd highest offensive efficiency rating on the team in ACC play last year. But mentally, he doesn't have it together. He has shown both a lack of confidence on the floor to really poor judgement on and off the court. This is his 3rd year at Pitt and 4th year in college.

Its bad enough Xavier Johnson was thrown out of multiple practices last year despite everything else. This year was supposed to be the last reset to move forward. He has to be on really thin ice moving forward to remain here.

Im not sure what I would do if I was Jeff Capel after I had all the facts. Some proper discipline needs to take place I think at a minimum. At the same time, we really need him to win games this year.

Reactions: Drew1208
I have to agree with this. We cannot afford to have another upperclassmen headcase that is a distraction in the locker room.

I do think Horton is substantially better than people think... He averaged 9.9 ppg in ACC play last year on 39% from 3 as a sophomore and had the 2nd highest offensive efficiency rating on the team in ACC play last year. But mentally, he doesn't have it together. He has shown both a lack of confidence on the floor to really poor judgement on and off the court. This is his 3rd year at Pitt and 4th year in college.

Its bad enough Xavier Johnson was thrown out of multiple practices last year despite everything else. This year was supposed to be the last reset to move forward. He has to be on really thin ice moving forward to remain here.

Im not sure what I would do if I was Jeff Capel after I had all the facts. Some proper discipline needs to take place I think at a minimum. At the same time, we really need him to win games this year.
But you told me for a year straight through small sample sizes and nerd stats at a lower level that he was an irreplaceable !!!

What do you think the legally drunk guy was going to do with his car if the tow truck driver did take it off the flatbed? Leave it in the spot it was getting towed from?

You have no idea what happened, but you already know the cops were acting like bad asses. The cops that were actually letting him walk away until he decided to be a moron.

So a coach is the responsible party on how his players behave 24hrs a day . There’s not a coach at any level of ball that hasn’t had troubled players . ( let’s exclude peewee ball )

Having 13 guys competing for limited pt and you think you 13 guys who are all buds ? No jealousy , no one eyeing up the other guys girl ! Get real .

You want Pitt to recruit all choir boys who excel at academics and compete at an ACC level ?

You don’t know the kid and your judging him and his coach on what was probably a 10 minute issue with alcohol involved.

I guess when a child misbehaves the parent is also 100% responsible.

Here is my opinion on how to handle this situation (others may disagree) ..... 1) I can't emphasize enough that we need to let the legal process play out here and see what the charges are after his hearing and evidence has been presented .....2) On the other hand, IH is charged with a felony which should not be ignored, so I would suspend him indefinitely now pending the hearing ...... 3) Depending on the results of the hearing (whether charges are significantly reduced or not, etc., ) and how much trouble, if any, he has had at Pitt previously, I would then either continue his suspension or reinstate him on the team ...... 4) I don't think Capel alone is going to decide what happens here, I suspect he will get a lot of input from ADHL.

The situation was OVER. Drunk guys says something mean and they arrest him. That is over-policing. Defend that please. I'll wait.

What do you think the legally drunk guy was going to do with his car if the tow truck driver did take it off the flatbed? Leave it in the spot it was getting towed from?

You have no idea what happened, but you already know the cops were acting like bad asses. The cops that were actually letting him walk away until he decided to be a moron.

Saying a mean thing is not a cause to arrest someone. These guys have to stop acting like badasses.

Saying a mean thing is not a cause to arrest someone. These guys have to stop acting like badasses.
They had cause to arrest him. They were giving him a break. Being an asshole enough to not appreciate that is not “saying a mean thing”!

They were walking away. So if you walk up to a cop and say a naughty thing, you are arrested for public drunkenness and disorderly contact?
No, if ou are guilty of pubs drunkenness and disorderly conduct you are subject to arrest. How you behave might play a part in if you are arrested or not.

Think a domestic disturbance. Think shoplifting. There are other examples.

There are offenses you can behave (talk) you way out of and certainly behave your way into.

Whatever happened to being responsible for your actions? Get rid of this guy. Who cares if he produces a couple more wins? Really?
He’s displayed other attitude issues along the way.
Capel is a dead man walking……

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT