ADVERTISEMENT

How bad are the hoopies?

It's WVU. Never write them off until they are dead. They get up off the mat alot. And that scares me going down there as a favorite at night.

yep, the home game last year was too close for comfort. I'm thinking it will be a dogfight the week prior against Cinci while WVU gets to tune up against the dukes (Duquesne that is, not Duke). This game at WVU will be very close and would not be surprised with a WVU win. Brown is desperate and coaching for his job.

And again, for the 1000th time, why didn't Heather do everything in her power to drop the Cinci series and replace with a true jobber. Bad enough having WVU and ND on the schedule the same year. The scheduling makes no sense and it is no coincidence the year with the most manageable OOC was also the best season in almost 40 years.

It's WVU. Never write them off until they are dead. They get up off the mat alot. And that scares me going down there as a favorite at night.
This is what defines a true rivalry. If a team doesn't bring their "A-game", they'll lose.

The biggest, most blatant example of this was the 13-9 game. Pitt had no business winning that game. But Pitt's defensive players played the best game of their lives, and WVU's offense wasn't at their best.

I've re-watched that game several times, and it's incredible how well that Pitt's defense tackled that game. And Pitt's offense, led by Shady McCoy, played just good enough to win. There have been plenty of articles reviewing that game, and here's one of the better ones:

In last year's hard fought game, WVU should've won that game, but one play (triggered by a horrible play selection by WVU's coach) led to another Pitt victory.

I’ll be rooting hard for WVU when they play PSU. PSU is a rival for me while I’ve never felt the same about the Hoopies. Guess we all show our age a bit when we make statements like that. Even though they’ve been better for periods, they’re still always little brother to me and losses to them don’t sting much. They hate us more than we hate them. When they beat us, it gives their fans a sense of self worth. When we beat them it’s just another game.

yep, the home game last year was too close for comfort. I'm thinking it will be a dogfight the week prior against Cinci while WVU gets to tune up against the dukes (Duquesne that is, not Duke). This game at WVU will be very close and would not be surprised with a WVU win. Brown is desperate and coaching for his job.

And again, for the 1000th time, why didn't Heather do everything in her power to drop the Cinci series and replace with a true jobber. Bad enough having WVU and ND on the schedule the same year. The scheduling makes no sense and it is no coincidence the year with the most manageable OOC was also the best season in almost 40 years.

Cincy and WVU are picked 13th and 14th in the Big 12 preseason media poll. I would say WVU on the road at night will still be very close. But if we struggle at home with Cincy in Scott Satterfield Game 2 then its going to be a looooooong season

Reactions: Celtsfan
I’ll be rooting hard for WVU when they play PSU. PSU is a rival for me while I’ve never felt the same about the Hoopies. Guess we all show our age a bit when we make statements like that. Even though they’ve been better for periods, they’re still always little brother to me and losses to them don’t sting much. They hate us more than we hate them. When they beat us, it gives their fans a sense of self worth. When we beat them it’s just another game.
It’s true. It’s a shame really, because it should be the bigger rivalry (hell of a lot easier, and actually less distasteful, to get to Morgantown than State College…neither is great but that latter trip is a slog). But there isn’t as much buzz most of us get in playing WVU, or else more of us would clamor to make it a permanent game. One of the threads here this week is a link to the 1991 game. I watched a minute or two of it. But didn’t care.

It’s true. It’s a shame really, because it should be the bigger rivalry (hell of a lot easier, and actually less distasteful, to get to Morgantown than State College…neither is great but that latter trip is a slog). But there isn’t as much buzz most of us get in playing WVU, or else more of us would clamor to make it a permanent game. One of the threads here this week is a link to the 1991 game. I watched a minute or two of it. But didn’t care.
lol, what? No buzz for the backyard brawl? Do you live under a rock? it's still one of the most recognized rivalry games nationally..

People on both sides are clamoring to make it an annual game..

pitt vs penn state hasnt been relevant since 1984..

Reactions: Snyder412

Maybe the buyout was too much.
It’s easy spending someone else’s money.
Kids, Congress and Presidents get away with it.

Reactions: Dan1911
Rivalry game. They could easily beat us. Remember 13-9? We had no business...but it still feels oh, so good.

Reactions: Saboteur II
This is what defines a true rivalry. If a team doesn't bring their "A-game", they'll lose.

The biggest, most blatant example of this was the 13-9 game. Pitt had no business winning that game. But Pitt's defensive players played the best game of their lives, and WVU's offense wasn't at their best.

I've re-watched that game several times, and it's incredible how well that Pitt's defense tackled that game. And Pitt's offense, led by Shady McCoy, played just good enough to win. There have been plenty of articles reviewing that game, and here's one of the better ones:

In last year's hard fought game, WVU should've won that game, but one play (triggered by a horrible play selection by WVU's coach) led to another Pitt victory.
Yeah, if they go for it on 4th and 1 instead of punting, they likely win that game. And our fans on here act like we are Alabama.

yep, the home game last year was too close for comfort. I'm thinking it will be a dogfight the week prior against Cinci while WVU gets to tune up against the dukes (Duquesne that is, not Duke). This game at WVU will be very close and would not be surprised with a WVU win.

If we struggle with Cincinnati and lose to the Hoopies this is going to be a bad season.

A really bad season.

WVU has sucked for awhile but it’s also relative.

XII is much tougher than PAC or ACC, which are two really bad football conferences. The best teams in the ACC haven’t been relevant in 10 (FSU) or 20 (Miami) years. The schools in that conference have hung tightly to the coattails of the Tigers. It’s really bad. The iteration of the Big East with WVU, Louisville, Pitt, etc was actually better than the ACC (sans Clemson, obviously).

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable as evidenced by the many posts on here by Pitt fans discussing the feebleness of the conference.

That being said…we have sucked and it’s not been acceptable. It’s been a long time since we’ve had this sorta run….ironic that VPI in same position. Their coach is an even greater disaster than Brown….which says a lot.

XII is much tougher than PAC or ACC, which are two really bad football conferences. The best teams in the ACC haven’t been relevant in 10 (FSU) or 20 (Miami) years. The schools in that conference have hung tightly to the coattails of the Tigers. It’s really bad. The iteration of the Big East with WVU, Louisville, Pitt, etc was actually better than the ACC (sans Clemson, obviously).

I don’t think I’m being unreasonable as evidenced by the many posts on here by Pitt fans discussing the feebleness of the conference.

That being said…we have sucked and it’s not been acceptable. It’s been a long time since we’ve had this sorta run….ironic that VPI in same position. Their coach is an even greater disaster than Brown….which says a lot.
How many national titles have the Big12 won over the last 10 years? The ACC has won 3.

I agree that the Big East with Pitt, WVU, Lou, Cin, Rut, USF, UConn (all being really good at different times) is better than the ACC....especially if you dont consider Clemson which I don't know why you wouldn't consider them but just saying.

How many national titles have the Big12 won over the last 10 years? The ACC has won 3.

Did Pitt add trophies to their trophy case when Clemson won? Conferences don’t win titles, schools do. He literally said that the ACC has been hanging on Clemson’s coattails, and you just proved his point 😂

Did Pitt add trophies to their trophy case when Clemson won? Conferences don’t win titles, schools do. He literally said that the ACC has been hanging on Clemson’s coattails, and you just proved his point 😂
FSU has 1 and Clemson has 2 over the last 10 years.

PAC - 0
Big 12 - 0

Go play with your blowup doll Nitter.

Historically bad? So bad Brown doesnt finish the season ?
I sincerely hope our players aren't reading this thread (and definitely not buying into the narrative). Did people not watch the game last year? WVU ran all over us. Donaldson laid 125 on us (and could have had more if they had kept feeding him). The game was tied late in the 4th and WVU was driving. We got saved by a ridiculous lack of concentration from a wide open Ford Wheaton and the ball bounced right into Devonshire's hands (while he was 6 yards off the receiver. Devonshire did make a great play to score, but the point is that if Ford Wheaton catches that ball, it's another first and the drive continues. Who knows what happens then.

This is not going to be easy victory at their place. I don't care where they are picked to finish in the B12. We better bring our A game or we're going to be very disappointed.

Cruzer

Big 12 sucks

We had players in that game who could actually play football. WVU this year really has no one who can play. But in true form, they'll be ready somehow with their junior high players for Pitt and they'll keep in close. With this Pitt team, I'm not taking anything for granted.

Last edited:

Agree. When we beat them, it's just another victory and on to the next game. They tend to make it something to celebrate for months of they win against us.

We had players in that game who could actually play football. WVU this year really has no one who can play. But in true form, they'll be ready somehow with their junior high players for Pitt and they'll keep in close. With this Pitt team, I'm not taking anything for granted.
I’d be willing to bet a sizable amount of money that you don’t know if WVU has players “who can play”. I say this because fans who follow the team have no idea if we have players “who can play”.

I always laugh at comments like this. As if fans of a team dissect the three deep of some other team (especially when players change teams more than I change my coonskin caps) and have the first clue whether or not they’re any good in college football. And I guarantee that some people would agree with that statement. It’s college football. There are over 100 teams in FBS. It’s not the NFL, where one can absolutely make more definitive statements due to lesser roster size, lesser teams, etc. The team isn’t THAT much different from last season and we could’ve won 3-4 more games….two of which were essential coin flips including the great game at Heinz.

Looking at experience DOES matter. Making ridiculous statements that a team has players that can or can’t play is laughable.

Edit: I’m not saying you are incorrect. It certainly may be the case. You have no idea though. Even if you’re Fred Steele.

Last edited:

As someone who's team was in both, bzzzt wrong. The ACC now is not as good as the Big East pre raid, but not after. The pre raid Big East had Miami as NC Champ contender, VT was always top 10, Pitt/WVU/BC/Syracuse all were top 25 to fringe top 25 teams.

I get your point, but look at it this way: The Hoopies have D-1 players on their team, too. Maybe they're not on the Heisman Trophy watch list - or any other watch list - but if Pitt doesn't go down to "Mo-Town" with the attitude of wanting to kick their butts, they'll make Pitt's life very miserable.

A simple analogy is this: one of the worst teams in major league baseball for the decade and more has been the Pittsburgh Pirates, but even this Crew of Futility manage to win over 50 games a year.

But it’s not really relative.

There are SEC teams almost every year, usually in the West, that the analytics will have as objectively a Top 15 team, but end the year with 4 or 5 losses. And that’s because their schedule is so tough, they end up playing a bunch of the Top 5 and Top 10 teams.

That’s a team where you say “it’s all relative.”

WVU is projected by the S&P+ to be the 56th rated team this year. That’s not a good team regardless of the schedule or conference.

LOL - I'm shocked that a Big Pretend fan would have such an opinion given all of the trophies the conference have accumulated in the money-making sports across the last ~30 years.

FSU has 1 and Clemson has 2 over the last 10 years.

PAC - 0
Big 12 - 0

Go play with your blowup doll Nitter.
Not only that. The Big 12 is 1-5 in CFP games. Their only team that has won a game then lost the next one by 58. And that other team, the one that has gone four times because they have dominated that “mighty” conference, has gone 0-4 in those appearances, mind you, and is about to be gonzo.

We all know how the Big Ten fares with winning when it counts. Maybe the Pedos can be added to the list of Big Pretend teams that have made the playoffs and lost once they are handed a spot when it jumps to 12 teams.

Last edited:
A couple people have said 13-9 was a fluke ... certainly we should have lost that game, it was a huge upset. But I do think that we were better than our 4-7 record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT