ADVERTISEMENT

How bad are the hoopies?

This game is their whole world, to the entire state and especially to the crowd that will be in there (and the gauntlet the team bus will have to navigate etc).

Most of our players are no longer from WPA so don’t realize the initial shock that awaits them. Concrete chunks hurled at the bus, rocks at the players and coaches departing it etc. ‘Authorities’ and school officials happily condoning it.

Especially in this off-season, they’ve had a difficult one, with Hugs getting busted and fired (for now) in the shadow of our stadium yet., and now half the school programs are being cut, in particular the easy worthless majors that the most alcoholic students take in order to slide through for 6 years of partying. Saw the news clip on WTAE last night, the freaks were rioting there.

Plus, they lost to us last year, In a huge embarrassing play, and then sucked the rest of the season.

They will be homicidal.

Hope Duz is trying his best to prep these guys mentally, but not sure how you really do that.

The initial shock from the violent spectacle will wear off on the team shortly after on the field and the game gets going, depending on how much the authorities in the stadium allow the crowd to get away with (constant projectiles etc) … but if WVU is able to jump to a quick lead off multiple scores, it could be tough to come back from. Our offense is wildcard and nobody can yet know if it won’t be clumsy, at least early on in the season.

Last edited:
This game is their whole world, to the entire state and especially to the crowd that will be in there (and the gauntlet the team bus will have to navigate etc).

Most of our players are no longer from WPA so don’t realize the initial shock that awaits them. Concrete chunks hurled at the bus, rocks at the players and coaches departing it etc. ‘Authorities’ and school officials happily condoning it.

Especially in this off-season, they’ve had a difficult one, with Hugs getting busted and fired (for now) in the shadow of our stadium yet., and now half the school programs are being cut, in particular the easy worthless majors that the most alcoholic students take in order to slide through for 6 years of partying. Saw the news clip on WTAE last night, the freaks were rioting there.

Plus, they lost to us last year, In a huge embarrassing play, and then sucked the rest of the season.

They will be homicidal.

Hope Duz is trying his best to prep these guys mentally, but not sure how you really do that.

The initial shock from the violent spectacle will wear off on the team shortly after on the field and the game gets going, depending on how much the authorities in the stadium allow the crowd to get away with (constant projectiles etc) … but if WVU is able to jump to a quick lead off multiple scores, it could be tough to come back from. Our offense is wildcard and nobody can yet know if it won’t be clumsy, at least early on in the season.
Sounds worse than Mogadishu or Sanaa 🤣

Our history in games we should win is not great so I would just not do any talking before this game.

I don't care how bad State Pen beats them. I don't care what we do with Cincy because none of that will matter in Morganhole.

Our history in games we should win is not great so I would just not do any talking before this game.

I don't care how bad State Pen beats them. I don't care what we do with Cincy because none of that will matter in Morganhole.

If Pitt were ranked with a lot of media hype, it would be a sure loss. But we aren't ranked and WVU should be in for a beat down.

If Pitt were ranked with a lot of media hype, it would be a sure loss. But we aren't ranked and WVU should be in for a beat down.
Of course, I get what you are saying but, I am going to go with what any of my buddies who played have said, numerous times, to me when we talk about Pitt Football:

”Every time I get to feeling confident, or optimistic, the program kicks me in the nuts.”

I’ll stick to the better side of caution as far as flapping my gums to any Hoopies until after this one goes to 0:00 on the clock.

Reactions: HailtoPitt
You're a f&&kin liar. There was no rioting at that protest. There isn't "constant projectiles" being thrown and officials don't condone anything negative that happens. Half the programs being cut? Do you even know how to read or comprehend anything? If you feel so superior to WVU then why the lying?

Of course, I get what you are saying but, I am going to go with what any of my buddies who played have said, numerous times, to me when we talk about Pitt Football:

”Every time I get to feeling confident, or optimistic, the program kicks me in the nuts.”

I’ll stick to the better side of caution as far as flapping my gums to any Hoopies until after this one goes to 0:00 on the clock.
WMU and GT were bad WTF type losses for sure… but those notwithstanding, Duz has largely avoiding soul crushing losses that our coaches going back to JM1 (yeah even Jackie) allowed; the really tragic program altering ones.

Even the Peach Bowl loss, frankly, that loss was due to Pickett (and everyone realized it, so really didn’t ding us). The PSU losses, eh, they outspend us at least 50 to 1, so they should have won most of those; like Clemson games, any Pitt win will be a surprise. And thanks to PSU we’ll never have games with them to worry about again.

So I don’t expect a loss to WVU. However due to reasons I laid out above, it’s folly to take a win, especially an easy one, there for granted. Really, we should also have crushed them last year at HOME but barely escaped. I’ll gladly take a 23-16 squeaker

Its not far off. A gameday crowd in Morgantown rivals a Central American soccer crowd. Might as well be San Pedro Sula.
The metaphors aren’t really needed; the things I wrote about above actually have occurred. Most WVU fans wouldn’t even want to deny it. There’s no need for exaggeration. And since that is, shockingly, not behavior that is condoned elsewhere, it’s something current Pitt players and even the coaches (since we’ve not played there in years) need to be prepared for.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
They suck and have sucked for a while.

I can’t think of many instances of them getting up off the mat in a long time.
They could have easily beat us last year. It was an evenly played game that they probably would have won outside of a butt handed reciever tip to Devonshire for an interception and touchdown. Let's not try to "Penn State" West Virginia here.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
They could have easily beat us last year. It was an evenly played game that they probably would have won outside of a butt handed reciever tip to Devonshire for an interception and touchdown. Let's not try to "Penn State" West Virginia here.
Yeah, agreed, the point is that Pitt SHOULD win on paper, but also SHOULD have won handily last season, at HOME, but still needed a near-miracle. Confidence is ok, but blatant overconfidence is unwise anytime but especially when these two meet .

they are so bad they will lose to the nitters by 50, beat duesquense 17-13 and then WMU us.
I am an optimist. They hate PSU as much as we do. West Virginia will be pumped up for a game against a top ten ranked Big18 team that they haven't played since eastern independent football died when PSU joined the Big18. I think this year WVU wants to beat Penn State more than Pitt. That will help us a few weeks later when we play.

It’s true. It’s a shame really, because it should be the bigger rivalry (hell of a lot easier, and actually less distasteful, to get to Morgantown than State College…neither is great but that latter trip is a slog). But there isn’t as much buzz most of us get in playing WVU, or else more of us would clamor to make it a permanent game. One of the threads here this week is a link to the 1991 game. I watched a minute or two of it. But didn’t care.
What are you talking about? Who doesn't want WVU to be a permanent game? Outside of the wine and cheese crowd of course?

I am an optimist. They hate PSU as much as we do. West Virginia will be pumped up for a game against a top ten ranked Big18 team that they haven't played since eastern independent football died when PSU joined the Big18. I think this year WVU wants to beat Penn State more than Pitt. That will help us a few weeks later when we play.
They’ll be somewhat amped given its a bit more of a hyped game / opponent than they might normally have. Similar to if it were ND or Michigan or such. But having been around many WVU fans in my time, WVU really doesn't have much, if any antipathy for PSU.

Certainly not a thousandth of the antipathy we have towards PSU (and the antipathy WVU has towards us … and what Marshall has toward WVU… and what PSU has against adult heterosexual fornication … etc).

On the flip side PSU doesn’t have a thousandth of the dislike of WVU that PSU has towards us either. Franklin won’t be hearing from any alumni threatening him to run it up on them, unlike what he definitely got when he played Pitt.

I expect a fairly energetic have to start but only because of the first game, Tv, one team fairly highly ranked etc. it will then settle down and a pretty nondescript PSU win by about three scores, pretty uninteresting by the end of the third quarter

What are you talking about? Who doesn't want WVU to be a permanent game? Outside of the wine and cheese crowd of course?
I wud like it, but more because I’d fear the crappy game that would be scheduled instead of WVU (a lousy MAC game or such). It’s not like Ohio State or Michigan are yearning to play home and home with us.

They’ll be somewhat amped given its a bit more of a hyped game / opponent than they might normally have. Similar to if it were ND or Michigan or such. But having been around many WVU fans in my time, WVU really doesn't have much, if any antipathy for PSU.

Certainly not a thousandth of the antipathy we have towards PSU (and the antipathy WVU has towards us … and what Marshall has toward WVU… and what PSU has against adult heterosexual fornication … etc).

On the flip side PSU doesn’t have a thousandth of the dislike of WVU that PSU has towards us either. Franklin won’t be hearing from any alumni threatening him to run it up on them, unlike what he definitely got when he played Pitt.

I expect a fairly energetic have to start but only because of the first game, Tv, one team fairly highly ranked etc. it will then settle down and a pretty nondescript PSU win by about three scores, pretty uninteresting by the end of the third quarter
Honest question....... are you a Pitt English major?

Honest question....... are you a Pitt English major?
No…had a dual STEM undergrad… but had some English courses at Pitt I really enjoyed (one was The Comic Idea… one of the best classes I ever had, any level of schooling… awesome lady prof, but it’s been decades now and I can’t recall her name, which actually bugs me that I’ve forgotten…). One other about Pop Culture (one assignment was to watch and write about the Grammy Awards). Dumb subject matters, but you had to have writing chops to do well (take something stupid and give it gravitas)…luckily I did.

Donaldson ran all over us. He's back as is their OL.

That doesn’t make them suck any less. Their coach is a couple of games away from being fired.

You don’t get to that point by being good.

Daniels played very well against Pitt last year. Didn’t follow him much the rest of the way.
As well as he played against Pitt (good not great…he had some good fortune in that Heinz game), he was awful against KU with the deciding INT that was perhaps one of the worst interceptions I can recall.

He was ok, overall. The OC (Harrell) was an abject failure. Just awful. I honestly hold out hope for this offense and that’s because I think Greene’s legs will allow some exciting runs, etc that will then open the running game up. He’s got a cannon. His accuracy is the big question mark and that is a facet of a QB that doesn’t seem to change very much…..except in the very notable case of Josh Allen.

It’s the defensive depth that’s going to be the killer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT