ADVERTISEMENT

How did I miss this Miller/Pitt article from 2018

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
"Sean Miller 'not a candidate' for Pitt; sources say he and Heather Lyke discussed job | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette" https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...-update-dan-hurley-uconn/stories/201803210149

I joined the pay board for the coaching search and will do so again and I'm glad I did because a respected poster over there said Pitt was serious about hiring Sean Miller but were doing their due diligence and that he wanted the job (even if it was to run away from his AZ mess). I posted that here months after the fact and nobody believed me. Well, this PG article pretty much confirms it.

Nobody believed you? Well
I for one had no clue whether
he applied for the job, wanted
the job, or discussed it with
Heather Lyke. It was never
a case of believing you or
not.

Reactions: jctrack
I wonder if that was the same source that said that Miller was in Pittsburgh negotiating his contract when in fact he was still in Arizona and doing no such thing?

I forget who the poster was but he was a regular there and had good info on the search.

And remember Heather became the first AD in history to thank a General Counsel at a coaching introduction press conference. The GC didn't advise he be hired is what that poster said....before Heather thanked her at the presser. Anyway, its impossible Miller would be any worse than Capel so obviously the wrong choice by Heather but she has another chance.

I forget who the poster was but he was a regular there and had good info on the search.

And remember Heather became the first AD in history to thank a General Counsel at a coaching introduction press conference. The GC didn't advise he be hired is what that poster said....before Heather thanked her at the presser. Anyway, its impossible Miller would be any worse than Capel so obviously the wrong choice by Heather but she has another chance.

This is another one of those things.

I have no inside info, but
AD Heather just might not
have the power you seem
to be giving her. Chancellor?
Board of Directors, VP level
above AD position? I wouldn't
be surprised if they all saw
Miller with too much baggage.
AD's often get the credit and
blame, but they're no different
than a similar level in other
organizations.....they still have
to answer to someone higher.
They don't always get to make
the decisions that everyone
on the outside thinks they
can.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I have no inside info, but
AD Heather just might not
have the power you seem
to be giving her. Chancellor?
Board of Directors, VP level
above AD position? I wouldn't
be surprised if they all saw
Miller with too much baggage.
AD's often get the credit and
blame, but they're no different
than a similar level in other
organizations.....they still have
to answer to someone higher.
They don't always get to make
the decisions that everyone
on the outside thinks they
can.

To be fair, there still was some uncertainty regarding Miller at the time. I knew the NCAA wouldn't do anything but there was that chance. As for Heather, she has a boss to answer to but the decision was ultimately hers. They did their due diligence and the GC recommended he not be hired. She still could have hired him but she would have risked her career if the NCAA imposed sanctions on him so she went "safer."

I wonder if that was the same source that said that Miller was in Pittsburgh negotiating his contract when in fact he was still in Arizona and doing no such thing?
All the proof that you need.

sean_miller_antoon%2527s.jpg

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Miller is still a legal liability. The NCAA charges were updated and upgraded just two weeks ago to five level 1 violations including loss of institutional control. Pitt did the right thing at least to the extent they didn't hire him.

Miller is still a legal liability. The NCAA charges were updated and upgraded just two weeks ago to five level 1 violations including loss of institutional control. Pitt did the right thing at least to the extent they didn't hire him.

No he isnt and no they didnt.

Pitino and Wade didn't get show causes and neither will Miller. Will Wade told everyone he's paying players on tape and he's still rolling, helping to end the Capel era by landing Efton Reid.

Pitt would unquestionably be in a better spot right now if Miller was hired....but you can say that about just about anyone at this point. If he was hired, we wouldn't be starting at a 27, 28 loss season in Year 4

Reactions: jctrack
No he isnt and no they didnt.

Pitino and Wade didn't get show causes and neither will Miller. Will Wade told everyone he's paying players on tape and he's still rolling, helping to end the Capel era by landing Efton Reid.

Pitt would unquestionably be in a better spot right now if Miller was hired....but you can say that about just about anyone at this point. If he was hired, we wouldn't be starting at a 27, 28 loss season in Year 4
Wade's investigation isn't done. He may be fired just like Miller, the NCAA interviewed him last week. Those are both cases in progress. Book went to jail.

Pitino "got away with it" which is why he is coaching...Mighty Iona.

Wade's investigation isn't done. He may be fired just like Miller, the NCAA interviewed him last week. Those are both cases in progress. Book went to jail.

Pitino "got away with it" which is why he is coaching...Mighty Iona.

Sure, Wade may eventually get fired, who cares? He isnt getting a show cause. Just like Miller. And if Wade did get fired, I'd hire him in 2 seconds if I'm Pitt.

Sure, Wade may eventually get fired, who cares? He isnt getting a show cause. Just like Miller. And if Wade did get fired, I'd hire him in 2 seconds if I'm Pitt.
Miller has a lower winning percentage than Lute Olson overall, in conference, and in tournament. He never got passed the elite eight at a school that wants to compete for national titles. At some point it seems like you just have a fetish for coaches that cheated, as opposed to their actual results. Miller is OK but it's not like you'd be going dirty to get Rick Pitino, one of the greatest basketball minds of all time. That I could at least understand the appeal of.

To be fair, there still was some uncertainty regarding Miller at the time. I knew the NCAA wouldn't do anything but there was that chance. As for Heather, she has a boss to answer to but the decision was ultimately hers. They did their due diligence and the GC recommended he not be hired. She still could have hired him but she would have risked her career if the NCAA imposed sanctions on him so she went "safer."
And remember her direct report Gallagher had already approved running off Dixon and hiring Stallings. So let's not forget the blame/shame Gallagher shares in this debacle.

Miller has a lower winning percentage than Lute Olson overall, in conference, and in tournament. He never got passed the elite eight at a school that wants to compete for national titles. At some point it seems like you just have a fetish for coaches that cheated, as opposed to their actual results. Miller is OK but it's not like you'd be going dirty to get Rick Pitino, one of the greatest basketball minds of all time. That I could at least understand the appeal of.
Truth
If you want dirty go for a proven winner at multiple stops -
Not the guy who can’t make a final 4 at a destination school

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT