ADVERTISEMENT

Would any of you take Sean Miller over Jeff Capel?

1) he did it less successfully - no final fours
2) he did it more blatantly
3) he did it at elite jobs and STILL couldn’t make a FF
4) would be hamstrung at Pitt
5) when the cheating stopped, so did the winning.

in short, if you’re gonna hire a Miller who cheats, hire John. The only successful one

People need to lay off the no Final Four thing. A 1 game single elimination tournament produces random results. And Xaver in the A10 isnt an elite job. Come on. Its a really good job, sure but Xavier in the A10 is no blue bood. Not even close.

Reactions: Tailgate Chef
People need to lay off the no Final Four thing. A 1 game single elimination tournament produces random results. And Xaver in the A10 isnt an elite job. Come on. Its a really good job, sure but Xavier in the A10 is no blue bood. Not even close.
Xavier in A10 was absolutely ELITE. The fact you don’t know, and won’t admit your incorrect eval on XJ, = SMF DOESNT KNOW COLLEGE HOOPS

Elite jobs = resources compared to league. Xavier in A10? ELITE. Poor smf bad day fella

Xavier in A10 was absolutely ELITE. The fact you don’t know, and won’t admit your incorrect eval on XJ, = SMF DOESNT KNOW COLLEGE HOOPS

Elite jobs = resources compared to league. Xavier in A10? ELITE. Poor smf bad day fella

If you think Xavier in the A10 was an elite program like Louisville, UConn, Michigan State, etc, you are nuts. They were a really good program in a bad league.

If you think Xavier in the A10 was an elite program like Louisville, UConn, Michigan State, etc, you are nuts. They were a really good program in a bad league.
I just defined why it was an elite job, yet you’re too stupid to even read. If it wasn’t an elite job, every coach (Gillen, Mack, Prosser, Matta, Miller) couldn’t have jumped so easily. Another L served from the goat to the woat

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

By your definition of Elite would you then consider Cleveland State in the Horizon league to be an elite job? Vermont in the American East an Elite job?
When I think of Elite I think Blue Blood. Unlimited money, resources, university support, fan support in a P5 conference.

I don’t have an opinion either way regarding Sean Miller’s viability at Pitt. I do know that he has a top 20 winning percentage in the HISTORY of college basketball…I think that’s pretty good. We all believe John Wooden is one of the best ever….cheated just like the rest of them.

By your definition of Elite would you then consider Cleveland State in the Horizon league to be an elite job? Vermont in the American East an Elite job?
When I think of Elite I think Blue Blood. Unlimited money, resources, university support, fan support in a P5 conference.

I don’t have an opinion either way regarding Sean Miller’s viability at Pitt. I do know that he has a top 20 winning percentage in the HISTORY of college basketball…I think that’s pretty good. We all believe John Wooden is one of the best ever….cheated just like the rest of them.
Vermont is an elite job. Anyone can step in there and win. Cleveland state is absolutely not an elite job. They were terrible for decades before Dennis Gates. Any more clarifications needed?

Vermont is an elite job. Anyone can step in there and win. Cleveland state is absolutely not an elite job. They were terrible for decades before Dennis Gates. Any more clarifications needed?
“Resources compared to league” …your quote not mine. You didn’t include outcomes in your made up definition. No more clarification needed. Butler is the Horizon league elite job since they have the most championships.

“Resources compared to league” …your quote not mine. You didn’t include outcomes in your made up definition. No more clarification needed. Butler is the Horizon league elite job since they have the most championships.
Correct, when butler was in the horizon league, it was an elite job. Now in a big boy league, they’re just average. Loyola chicago will soon find this pain.

Correct, when butler was in the horizon league, it was an elite job. Now in a big boy league, they’re just average. Loyola chicago will soon find this pain.
But if Brad Stevens was still their coach, they would own the Big East.

But if Brad Stevens was still their coach, they would own the Big East.
Eh, I think he’s really good coach. I think he’s a bit overrated. If Gilbert Brown makes FT 2 and they only have the miracle run with Gordon Heyward, is he still everyone’s wunderkind?

Correct. And yes, comparatively to the rest of the PSAC, IUP is an elite job.

IUP, Vermont, Xavier were the best jobs in their conference. That doesn't make them an elite job for college basketball as a whole. Xavier was an A10 program who Miller hab punching weigh above their weight. They very nearly beat the best Pitt team ever in the Sweet 16.

IUP, Vermont, Xavier were the best jobs in their conference. That doesn't make them an elite job for college basketball as a whole. Xavier was an A10 program who Miller hab punching weigh above their weight. They very nearly beat the best Pitt team ever in the Sweet 16.
I didn’t say they were an elite job on college basketball as a whole. I said that people view them as elite jobs because you can win there. It’s why Sean would’ve never taken Pitt from Xavier, nor would Chris Mack. Pitt = difficult to win. Xavier = not. Do ya get it yet or will you continue to be completely clueless on all things CBB

Jeff Goodman said Sean Miller will be coaching at Pitt next year so this is funny thread.

Eh, I think he’s really good coach. I think he’s a bit overrated. If Gilbert Brown makes FT 2 and they only have the miracle run with Gordon Heyward, is he still everyone’s wunderkind?
I’ll disagree with you on this one. I think he’s incredible. But we will never know now since he’s gone another direction.

I’ll disagree with you on this one. I think he’s incredible. But we will never know now since he’s gone another direction.
I’m not saying he’s not a good coach. My point is if he has the one run with Heyward and Gilbert brown hits the second FT are we talking about Boston Celtics head coach Brad Stevens or 15th year Butler head coach brad Stevens. The difference between perceptions of coaches can sometimes be inches.

if someone knocks the ball out of Laetner’s hands, Pitino wins title that year, possibly doesn’t leave Kentucky and there’s no disputing who the greatest coach of all time is and it’s Pitino.

inches, man, inches.

I didn’t say they were an elite job on college basketball as a whole. I said that people view them as elite jobs because you can win there. It’s why Sean would’ve never taken Pitt from Xavier, nor would Chris Mack. Pitt = difficult to win. Xavier = not. Do ya get it yet or will you continue to be completely clueless on all things CBB
Vermont is the best job in the America East and one of the best low majors to parlay into a better job. That doesn't mean its an "elite job."

Yes, in fact, that is how coaches determine elite jobs. Jobs where you can throw a trained monkey in and win. Coveted jobs. Anything else you need schooled on today?

Better job: Vanderbilt, which pays $2-$3 million or Vermont, which pays $250K.

Vermont is a good low major job. It isnt "elite."

Vermont is relevant to the rest of the America East. Just like VCU and Dayton are to the rest of the A-10. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Uh yea, I know that. Its a really good low major job. But to call it an elite job is absurd. A stepping stone job is not elite. DePaul is a better job than Vermont because any Vermont coach would give their left nut to coach DePaul. He needs to clean up his word usage.

Probably.

But...

Miller is a Pitt man.
Miller can coach.
Miller is one of the very few coaches out there who could actually jumpstart attendance.
Don't know about recruiting, but I'm sure he would do a much better job than the last two.
Baggage? Given the state of the program, I don't care and would hire porters to carry it around if necessary.

One can dream.
Miller is not a Pitt man, just went to school here. Dream higher.

I love the term "hire and hope." That's what Rutgers did for 30 years. Then, they FINALLY hit on a lottery ticket. Everyone thinks some mid-major coach is the answer because they had 3 good years in a bad conference but for a program like Pitt, a hire like that is so risky. We can either step up and spend money on a guarantee and risk becoming old Rutgers for several decades.
On the other hand, when programs such as Pitt hire an established successful D1 coach, as often as not that coach will just be going through the motions. They're banking a hefty compensation package for retirement. This is especially true of coaches who were fired from their last position. Tom Crean, Mark Gottfried, Dave Leitao, Billy Gillespie, Jim Harrick, et al. WRT Sean Miller, while he did take Arizona to three Elite Eights in his twelve years there, it was Arizona. The program was in good shape when he was hired, and in the previous twelve years before his hire, they went to three Final Fours, and an additional two Elite Eights. Oh, and they won a National Championship, and lost in another championship game. He did not maintain their level of success.

On the other hand, when programs such as Pitt hire an established successful D1 coach, as often as not that coach will just be going through the motions. They're banking a hefty compensation package for retirement. This is especially true of coaches who were fired from their last position. Tom Crean, Mark Gottfried, Dave Leitao, Billy Gillespie, Jim Harrick, et al. WRT Sean Miller, while he did take Arizona to three Elite Eights in his twelve years there, it was Arizona. The program was in good shape when he was hired, and in the previous twelve years before his hire, they went to three Final Fours, and an additional two Elite Eights. Oh, and they won a National Championship, and lost in another championship game. He did not maintain their level of success.

And as soon as he's gone his replacement has taken the team that he went 11-9 (17-9 overall) with in conference to currently number two in the country at 15-1 in conference (25-2 overall).

Maybe Pitt should be trying to hire Tommy Lloyd as their head coach.

I'd take Johnny Miller, Cheryl Miller, Ray Miller, Dennis Miller, or Miller Barber over who we have now.

The next coach definitely needs to be one that excites the fanbase. Pitt needs a shot in the arm to get fannies in the seats and increase the interest in the program. That coach probably will be a good recruiter too. A less than high-profile hire will just lead to a status quo to start and will need years to get the program back to a high level if indeed it gets there.

ADVERTISEMENT