ADVERTISEMENT

How do you think we will compare to

It's all relative. I'm comparing them only to us-this year. If we were comparing Stanford to Bama (the true 6 Million Dollar team) or an FSU, OSU, etc, it would be different. But this is comparing this year's Stanford team to this year's Pitt team, period. They outclass us across the board--offense, defense, special teams, depth, experience, talent, coaching. We may have an individual player or two that is better than his Stanford counterpart, but I'm talking about the whole team and program this year.
uh, I was just making a tv show pun and in no need of a football doctoral thesis ...settle down big fella...

Stanford is actually a pretty good measuring stick, and is the kind of program that Nards can hope to make Pitt into. Not a super elite program like Bama, but a consistent top 20 program that can make a top 10 run ever few years.

They are much further along, to state the obvious.

Yes, they would be clear favorites this year, 10 or so depending on other factors, but as others state practically, nothing so daunting that Pitt would not win 4 out of 10 matchups or so.

Reactions: daminals76
I have some news for you pal-this year, and we are talking about THIS SEASON--not last or next---we are a lot closer to being Rutgers than we are to being Alabama.

"we", lol. samo,samo.

David Shaw is 65-17 at Stanford.
And his players must be able to count to ten without referencing their flash cards and have to be able to read the See Spot Run book.
Imagine if PITT had those complications in addition to star players not being able to pass their drug test. Some PITT players blamed it on not studying hard enough for the drug test?

It's all relative. I'm comparing them only to us-this year. If we were comparing Stanford to Bama (the true 6 Million Dollar team) or an FSU, OSU, etc, it would be different. But this is comparing this year's Stanford team to this year's Pitt team, period. They outclass us across the board--offense, defense, special teams, depth, experience, talent, coaching. We may have an individual player or two that is better than his Stanford counterpart, but I'm talking about the whole team and program this year.

You would think being honest about the program is sin around here. We are a 6-6 to 8-4 team this year. Just very average. Stanford invest in their program, recruiting budgets, it shows on the field

They are a lot better, faster, stronger, more talented and more sound than Pitt will be this year in every phase including coaching. It's not even close.

QB is their only real wild card-but it's even more so for us. Chryst has been working in that system for 3 years. Browne has had a new playbook every year.

Gtfo with the "its not even close" bs... you act like stanford is an NFL team.

Ewwww - Ignore some of the bizarrly negative + completely incorrect "analysis" in terms of the question. It's one I considered as well last year and this year --- Pitt and Stanford --- with both being the rare Under Center, Huddle-Up smash mouth offenses.

Stanford last year was 9-3 in the Pac-12, and won a very hard-fought Sun Bowl game Vs. North Carolina that came down the final minutes. If Mitch Trubisky doesn't throw a really, really bad Pick-6 in that game I think North Carolina wins.

Pitt's offense is just as good overall, and if Max Browne plays like an NFL draft pick I would say he gives Pitt's offense a clear edge (Keller Chryst is okay, not an NFL level QB) --- but yes, Stanford's Defense is just much deeper, experienced, and in-tune together as of now than Pitt's totally green and young (albeit very TALENTED!) defense. Stanford's defense last year and this year is the tough, experienced, and deep crew that Pitt is hoping to become the next few seasons.

Some of the above posts insisting that "Stanford wins by 3 TD's" is borderline-vitriol and just silly.

Pitt and Stanford, this year AND last year I would put Stanford as a 6 point favorite.

Someone on this board actually knows what a football is....yay!!

Stanford would be a good model to shoot for. They don't bring in elite classes, but they usually have a pretty decent amount of 4* players that form the core of their classes. This stops them from being elite across the board and really deep, BUT it allows them to field a starting lineup that is almost as talented as any team they will play on a yearly basis outside of USCw and Notre Dame (when they have it working).
It's not unrealistic to think Pitt could eventually get that kind of 4* core going in recruiting, even without being in Cali.

And his players must be able to count to ten without referencing their flash cards and have to be able to read the See Spot Run book.
Imagine if PITT had those complications in addition to star players not being able to pass their drug test. Some PITT players blamed it on not studying hard enough for the drug test?
News flash. Those Stanford players ain't that smart. And they're smoking weed as much as any spoiled, entitled stud athlete in 2017 ... if not more, living in the fringe of SF as they do. Meaning only the most egregious offenders (and positions of most depth) are subject to "getting caught" or disciplined.

I'm not disparaging those kids ... Not really, anyway. It's what kids today do. Especially when they are untouchable gods, as star athletes are.

Nor am i disparaging the schools. I'm dripping with envy over em.

Stanford, like UNC, like Duke, like Ohio State, like Notre Dame ... recognizes that great sports lifts all the university's boats (and the values of their grads degrees), and that nobody actually believes their most elite athletes are regular students (or holds it against them for the charade, for that reason).

The buttby is a know it all donkey who has been spewing his bs for years. I usedto agree with plenty of what he said, but he has become overly negative, especially about this season. I think Stanford is a better program, but they are not lite years ahead of us. In fact, they are the type of team that we can match up with. No spread O, a QB who can't run, those things kill us. They are a power team and Narduzzi can stop the run.

Nobody is really close to Bama, but to suggest we are close to Rutgers is pretty damning. If he winds up being correct, hell maybe we can even lose to Rice since we are so young and inexperienced and Rutgers-like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT