ADVERTISEMENT

How good was Pickett really?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The best that you could say was "he played well for a true freshman." I mean he did some good things, threw a great pass on the 4th down to Weah but also had a bad INT where he failed to see the Safety and had happy feet when facing pressure. You could chalk a lot of that up to inexperience but I didn't think he played much better than what we've seen from Dinucci.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Pickett fan. I've liked him since the Spring Game but I'm not ready to think he is the savior. I think what Pickett gives Pitt fans more than anything is hope. He might be good, he might not be. But for Pitt fans and all football fans, the backup QB, especially when he is younger is popular because he offers hope, just like when you were all huge Dinucci fans when Browne struggled.

I do think we are facing Tino II with Dinucci, but I'm not ready to say that Pickett is guaranteed to be so much better.

Reactions: Mikefln and KanePA
I saw a lot of things that we’re good! The kid seems to have the good mechanics in passing and ability to scramble. Savage and Peterman were good QB, but limited in years of eligibility. I think he will be as productive or better, given the OL holds up to its end of the bargain. You have to be excited that we can watch this kid grow for several more years!

His ball just looks different. Has zip and touch. Made a couple poor throws, but this was his first test. And remember, he probably had no idea how much he would play.

Plus he is mobile and can run physically too.

Reactions: Chescat
He’s got more tools in the toolbox than any QB on the Pitt roster today. He needs time and experience. He needs to watch his own film to see where he can get better....to which he had 0 prior to today.

DiNucci is better than Browne, so the fans rightfully should have wanted him in the game. He has more tools in his toolbox than Browne.

No fan should have been calling for Pickett until his RS was burned....but now that it has, you gotta get him work if he us expected to compete and lead next year.

Reactions: NTOP
The best that you could say was "he played well for a true freshman." I mean he did some good things, threw a great pass on the 4th down to Weah but also had a bad INT where he failed to see the Safety and had happy feet when facing pressure. You could chalk a lot of that up to inexperience but I didn't think he played much better than what we've seen from Dinucci.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Pickett fan. I've liked him since the Spring Game but I'm not ready to think he is the savior. I think what Pickett gives Pitt fans more than anything is hope. He might be good, he might not be. But for Pitt fans and all football fans, the backup QB, especially when he is younger is popular because he offers hope, just like when you were all huge Dinucci fans when Browne struggled.

I do think we are facing Tino II with Dinucci, but I'm not ready to say that Pickett is guaranteed to be so much better.
I just look at what he accomplished against a very good Vtech defense. He is a true freshman. How many true freshmen QB's do you see playing around the country? Most of the freshmen that are playing are RS freshmen, which is a far cry from a true freshmen. Just my opinion. Hail to Pitt.

Reactions: Chad40301
His ball just looks different. Has zip and touch. Made a couple poor throws, but this was his first test. And remember, he probably had no idea how much he would play.

Plus he is mobile and can run physically too.

The answer to your question is that Pickett will be better than what we got from Peterman by his junior year.

Reactions: PittPanther44
He’s got more tools in the toolbox than any QB on the Pitt roster today. He needs time and experience. He needs to watch his own film to see where he can get better....to which he had 0 prior to today.

DiNucci is better than Browne, so the fans rightfully should have wanted him in the game. He has more tools in his toolbox than Browne.

No fan should have been calling for Pickett until his RS was burned....but now that it has, you gotta get him work if he us expected to compete and lead next year.

I don't think DiNucci was better than Browne, who seemed to be improving steadily prior to his injury. On the other hand, who knows when Pickett sees the field if Browne stays healthy. We might have wasted the first part of next year with DiNucci had Pickett's redshirt remained intact.

Reactions: PantherDDS

B4 I start...I liked Tino under Chryst...also Savage....(maybe HCPC was better then we thought) I liked Browne and thought the O line was the bigger issue...I believe the O coordinator this year is struggling....with that said....

1. Pickett's arm strength completely changes the way we can call plays.
(not a discussion on this topic)

2. His mobility helps a struggling O-line

3. Play good against a good defense...

4. When the blue/gold game picked him as the first QB that should have told everyone something day one ...we all (coaches included missed that)

5. He is savvy in the pocket and will only get better with game reps. Only INT was trying to make a play...I can live with that more then got excited in the pocket and just threw it up....

6. Lopes needs to start over Henderson and they should consider moving Henderson to RB.

He is the only one on the roster worth two licks, play him, let's find out. Get him game experience before he takes over next year

He at least looks like he has some upside. None of the other QBs I have seen this year look like that.
Is he going to be the "answer" going forward? I guess it depends on what the offense will need. Unless the skill position players and offensive line get a serious talent upgrade coming in, the offense is probably going to need a next level playmaker at QB. He is going to be that? No.
But could I see him being a good QB on a bad offense? Yea.

I liked his footwork in the pocket. I never notice things like this normally but he really moves his feet well while keeping his shoulders square.

His release is flat out pretty. He has shown very good accuracy on shorter-mid range passes.

His deepbsll is flat out horrid but maybe that will come, hopefully. Dinucci is more athletic outside the pocket, past the line of scrimmage but I like picketts ability behind Los when he leaves pocket.

That sounds dumb but let me explain. When he rolls out on play actions or misdirections, he doesn't go as deep as Ben. Ben runs away so any throw will be fading away and much harder, also will be on his back foot. Pickett was rolling parallel to line and therefor minimized depth of throw. Nate always seems to roll out but fades back.

Kenny really steps into throws. Something that you think at this level is a given but we've seen with Ben and voytik it's not.

Reactions: rmf05
just like when you were all huge Dinucci fans when Browne struggled..
Who here was ever a huge Dinicci fan? I must have missed that. Like you said, anyone who was at the spring game could clearly see that Pickett was head and shoulders above anything else we had (Browne included). I have been screaming for Pickett to start/play since the PSU loss and getting a lot of goofy looks at the games. Duzz even said as much coming out of spring ball when he said Pickett had all of the tools and that star quality, but that he was "only a freshmen".

Also. I am sick of the grad transfer route. I think Duzz should ride it out next season with Pickett/Dinucci/Patti as the 1,2,3. I'd be fine with that.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
He’s better. And he’s the best qb prospect we’ve had in 8-10 years.

This.... For a True frosh in a game on the road against a good defense. He had a very nice game.

Has a nice strong arm. Fairly athletic. Good pocket presence ( doesn’t run out of the pocket at The first sign of pressure) and came through under pressure at the end.

Nothing is for certain but he has a legit shot to be very good

Last edited:

Not only a true freshman but a true freshman thrown into the fire against a very good defense on the road in a hostile environment.

With that being said I'd say he was pretty damned good. Yes he made mistakes. Don't all QBs? By the way I was a Pickett fan when Browne struggled because of the obviously better ability to throw and run.

Who here was ever a huge Dinicci fan? I must have missed that. Like you said, anyone who was at the spring game could clearly see that Pickett was head and shoulders above anything else we had (Browne included). I have been screaming for Pickett to start/play since the PSU loss and getting a lot of goofy looks at the games. Duzz even said as much coming out of spring ball when he said Pickett had all of the tools and that star quality, but that he was "only a freshmen".

Also. I am sick of the grad transfer route. I think Duzz should ride it out next season with Pickett/Dinucci/Patti as the 1,2,3. I'd be fine with that.
I was and am a dinucci fan. Brings a lot more than Browne. Like him as a quality P5 backup qb. I don't want him as a starter but as a backup, I like him a lot.

I could even see a package or two for him. He is very atthletic. Hope he is here for his whole college career.

B4 I start...I liked Tino under Chryst...also Savage....(maybe HCPC was better then we thought) I liked Browne and thought the O line was the bigger issue...I believe the O coordinator this year is struggling....with that said....

1. Pickett's arm strength completely changes the way we can call plays.
(not a discussion on this topic)

2. His mobility helps a struggling O-line

3. Play good against a good defense...

4. When the blue/gold game picked him as the first QB that should have told everyone something day one ...we all (coaches included missed that)

5. He is savvy in the pocket and will only get better with game reps. Only INT was trying to make a play...I can live with that more then got excited in the pocket and just threw it up....

6. Lopes needs to start over Henderson and they should consider moving Henderson to RB.

Blue Gold game took Dinuccui, then Pickett. Browne, as a senior wasn't drafted. Browne's team took Dinucci so they would leave the other team with 3 and 4. The coaches then switched them

Pickett had the best performance that I can remember from a Pitt freshman. Imagine what could have been if we had good WRs. Weah alone dropped at least 5 catchable balls, it wasn't like he was throwing to NFL draft picks.

Pickett's INT was a good call by Foster hiding the defender, who was able to make a play after the ball was released. I love how Pickett moved around and completed his throws. In a crap year it is nice to know we have him going into next season with experience. Also good to have an experienced QB in DiNucci backing him up so Patti can redshirt.

Of course I wish Pickett got more playing time but we can't go back, only forward.

Reactions: h2p_5150

You simply don’t really know what you’re watching.

Pickett throws a P5 ball with solid mechanics, keeps his eyes downfield at all times, makes a decision and for the most part was decisive and quick with his decisions. He made some mistakes in terms of leaving the pocket and holding the ball too long a couple of times but had pretty good feel for a true freshman in his first action and will only get better with reps. He threw one really bad ball, not a bunch like SiNucci does every game. He moved the offense pretty well against a good D. We finally picked the ball downfield to Weah and the other WRs for the first time since Rice. He threw for 242 yards in 3 quarters , considerably more than DiNucci has thrown for in any game. He was poised and showed a short memory after that bad INT and VT score. Had Weah scored as he should have on that 4th down catch and run, Pickett would have been a hero and a Sportscenter top 10.

Again, it was his first meaningful PT, on the road, against a tough opponent in a tough venue. If you weren’t somewhat impressed, and of you didn’t see the difference in the way he played, that says a lot about you.

Nobody is saying he’s going to be great, but he has huge upside, all the tools, and time is on his side. He has a ton of football ahead of him.

You simply don’t really know what you’re watching.

Pickett throws a P5 ball with solid mechanics, keeps his eyes downfield at all times, makes a decision and for the most part was decisive and quick with his decisions. He made some mistakes in terms of leaving the pocket and holding the ball too long a couple of times but had pretty good feel for a true freshman in his first action and will only get better with reps. He threw one really bad ball, not a bunch like SiNucci does every game. He moved the offense pretty well against a good D. We finally picked the ball downfield to Weah and the other WRs for the first time since Rice. He threw for 242 yards in 3 quarters , considerably more than DiNucci has thrown for in any game. He was poised and showed a short memory after that bad INT and VT score. Had Weah scored as he should have on that 4th down catch and run, Pickett would have been a hero and a Sportscenter top 10.

Again, it was his first meaningful PT, on the road, against a tough opponent in a tough venue. If you weren’t somewhat impressed, and of you didn’t see the difference in the way he played, that says a lot about you.

Nobody is saying he’s going to be great, but he has huge upside, all the tools, and time is on his side. He has a ton of football ahead of him.

Very well stated, his passes were crisp and accurate. For a true freshman, he made good decisons. None of this crap of instead of throwing the ball away you chuck it downfield to a receiver in double coverage and getting picked off. He was also able to run for decent yardage on a couple of first downs when the running game was struggling.

Given the kid just got his first real experience!!! I think he was fantastic.

The WRs on the team disagree with you. I'll leave it at that.

If you go back and look at Pickett's incompletions, most were well thrown balls. Weah isn't used to having the ball thrown out in front of him... If you recall, Ben's first two pass attempts were way underthrown...

I suspect Pickett is going to be very good -- at least he has given me some reason for hope for the future of the offense...

Go Pitt.

That wasn't meant to be facetious. Actual WRs on the team told me he was the best QB on the roster after spring ball.

Right. Until Pickett got in, they hadn’t seen a catchable ball downfield in weeks.

Welcome back Weah.

Last edited:
Anyone who has watched both Pickett and DiNucci play this season and doesn’t see how much better Pickett is has no clue about what’s happening on the field.

I hate making statements like that but it is so obvious that I can’t help it. One guy may end up being a player, the other one literally does not have the arm strength or the awareness to play at this level.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

It's tough to say how much better Pickett is/can be due to the limited data we have at this point in the season. However, what we do know is the limited ceiling Dinucci has at this point by the stats provided below:

NC State: Ranked 91st in passing yards allowed; Dinucci threw for 170 yards with 1 TD/1 INT

Duke: Ranked 11th in passing yards allowed, Dinucci threw for 149 yards with 0 TD/O INT

UVA: Ranked 19th in passing yards allowed, Dinucci threw for 134 yards with 1 TD/1 INT

UNC: Ranked 76th in passing yards allowed, Dinucci threw for 142 yards with 0 TD/0 INT

VT: Ranked 22nd in passing yards allowed, Pickett threw for 242 yards with 0 TD/1 INT

Even against mediocre to bad passing defenses, Dinucci was unable to produce 200 yards in the passing game, while being anything more than a net 0 when comparing TDs and INTs.

While I understand Pickett had a lousy INT against VT, he also was the victim of Jester Weah either dropping passes, not competing for 50/50 balls, or simply misjudging the ball while in the air, etc. What we also saw out of Pickett was his ability to find the next available option when the OL provided him with more than 1 second to make a decision. Too many times Dinucci simply stared down the primary target and threw into double or triple coverage rather than finding the open receiver or dumping it off in the flat to the RB or slot receiver and allowing them to make a play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT