ADVERTISEMENT

How will NCAA Football’s Upper Division proposal effect NCAA Tournament in Hoops?

MorningCoffee13

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2023
From the minimal available information, the new Strawman proposal of having an upper level division that requires educational funding for at least 50% of eligible athletes at the University to the tune of at least $30 grand per player per year has to have an effect on basketball as well.

So basketball would also have a de facto upper level division that can boast a payment of $120 grand for players. That would seem to make for a slight advantage to schools for recruiting. And since the payment is essentially required, do the schools that opt in demand that the parameters for tournament selection change? Your forced to paying customers would not want to sit out a tournament now would they?

I give the NCAA credit for taking a shot at this but it will be very interesting the fall out.

From the minimal available information, the new Strawman proposal of having an upper level division that requires educational funding for at least 50% of eligible athletes at the University to the tune of at least $30 grand per player per year has to have an effect on basketball as well.

So basketball would also have a de facto upper level division that can boast a payment of $120 grand for players. That would seem to make for a slight advantage to schools for recruiting. And since the payment is essentially required, do the schools that opt in demand that the parameters for tournament selection change? Your forced to paying customers would not want to sit out a tournament now would they?

I give the NCAA credit for taking a shot at this but it will be very interesting the fall out.

I would guess 150 or so teams would not be in D1 for bball

I believe the opt in requirement only pertains to FBS eligible teams and I saw no indication of how it would play out for hoops. So a team could play D1 basketball and not have the opt in be part of that at all.

The discussions I've seen have been clear that all sports with post-season tourneys run by the NCAA (i.e., everything but FBS football) would have a mix of schools who opt-in and schools that don't opt-in.

Why would opt-in schools want to force it otherwise? If I read your sentence correctly, it sounds like they want to buy some sort of entitlement through the opt-in. But they ARE buying some assurance of success by creating a competitive advantage through paying their players.

The discussions I've seen have been clear that all sports with post-season tourneys run by the NCAA (i.e., everything but FBS football) would have a mix of schools who opt-in and schools that don't opt-in.

Why would opt-in schools want to force it otherwise? If I read your sentence correctly, it sounds like they want to buy some sort of entitlement through the opt-in. But they ARE buying some assurance of success by creating a competitive advantage through paying their players.
Perhaps some level of entitlement for actually having to pay to play to be in the elite for football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT