ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley Suspended

Yikes. Farewell. We hardly knew ye.

bird_in_awe.gif

July?? When did he arrive on campus exactly. Couldn’t have been much earlier than that eh?

My take:

This is probably a pretty mild case of an 18 year old doing something stupid. A half-season suspension or something like that should be sufficient. Of course I dont know what he did but the fact he wasnt suspended until now might mean its not like it was some major crime.

I definitely do not believe in kicking off players for petty crimes if the coaching staff feels that it was 1 stupid mistake and they are a better kid than that. Now if some idiot kid whose always getting into trouble and the staff doesn't get along with already does that, then yea, boot hum

My take:

This is probably a pretty mild case of an 18 year old doing something stupid. A half-season suspension or something like that should be sufficient. Of course I dont know what he did but the fact he wasnt suspended until now might mean its not like it was some major crime.

I definitely do not believe in kicking off players for petty crimes if the coaching staff feels that it was 1 stupid mistake and they are a better kid than that. Now if some idiot kid whose always getting into trouble and the staff doesn't get along with already does that, then yea, boot hum

Until more details are released, I don’t think we can call this a “mild case” of anything. In situations like this, you can’t let the “wish” be the father of the thought.

How you move forward with the player will depend on context. The program very well could’ve known this was coming and chose to wait until charges were filed before enacting public discipline or they could have been in the dark. I think they’re taking the prudent path forward and not rushing to judgement on a kid who probably needs some guidance/structure at this time. Whether he has a place in the program on the court moving forward will depend upon the details of the case but whether he stays or goes, it’s incumbent on the program to not to fail the young man.

Last edited:
I could be off base, but I believe the grade of a charge of Receipt of Stolen Property is based on value of the item stolen. I also believe that Conspiracy is based on the highest grade of the underlying charge, which I assume is an F2 Theft by the other person. Theft I also believe is based on value.

Therefore, the charges could be a result of the acceptance of an iPhone that he knew was stolen. Or it could be much worse. Hard to tell.

Reactions: TreesHero
This blows. I didn't grow up in a bad environment so I dont know what goes through peoples heads, but this is a blown opportunity over something stupid.

Until more details are released, I don’t think we can call this a “mild case” of anything. In situations like this, you can’t let the “wish” be the father of the thought.

How you move forward with the player will depend on context. The program very well could’ve known this was coming and chose to wait until charges were filed before enacting public discipline or they could have been in the dark. I think they’re taking the prudent path forward and not rushing to judgement and on a kid who probably needs some guidance/structure at this time. Whether he has a place in the program on the court moving forward will depend upon the details of the case but whether he stays or goes, it’s incumbent on the program to not to fail the young man.

The fact he wasnt suspended until now tells me it was mild. Lets say Hugley was the mastermind behind a multi-million dollar criminal enterprise. He'd still be innocent until proven guilty but I'd bet he would be suspended immediately when Pitt learned of it.

My total guess is this is something like receiving and selling stolen cell phones and laptops. And you dont kick a kid off the team for that. Im sorry. Michael Carter-Williams shoplifted at the mall and didn't get kicked off. Those UCLA players shoplifted in China and didn't get kicked off (season suspension).

If this is mild, I am confident Capel will give Hugley a 2nd chance.

If you are knowingly involved in the theft of a student's iPhone (especially a student who isn't wealthy), you deserve harsh punishment because you suck. If it was stolen from a store, I see it a little differently though of course the letter of the law doesn't and all are free to disagree with me. And if it was stolen from a student who knew you stole it and you refused to give it back because you are 6'9" tall (I think Hugley is only 6'8") and weigh 245 lbs. you not really suck. Of course this is all conjecture and I am speaking hypothetically.

They have multiple videos of him getting in and out of the car at different times. You can claim stupid mistake, but he had the car for 2 weeks until it was found. Stole another license plate so they couldn't track the old one. This wasn't simply a joy ride. Supremely stupid.

Can't believe Pitt / Capel knew this happened and let him play.

They have multiple videos of him getting in and out of the car at different times. You can claim stupid mistake, but he had the car for 2 weeks until it was found. Stole another license plate so they couldn't track the old one. This wasn't simply a joy ride. Supremely stupid.

Can't believe Pitt / Capel knew this happened and let him play.

I can’t either, almost have to assume that they werent aware of the details while the investigation was playing out.

Reactions: Straight Eye Larry
The fact he wasnt suspended until now tells me it was mild. Lets say Hugley was the mastermind behind a multi-million dollar criminal enterprise. He'd still be innocent until proven guilty but I'd bet he would be suspended immediately when Pitt learned of it.

My total guess is this is something like receiving and selling stolen cell phones and laptops. And you dont kick a kid off the team for that. Im sorry. Michael Carter-Williams shoplifted at the mall and didn't get kicked off. Those UCLA players shoplifted in China and didn't get kicked off (season suspension).

If this is mild, I am confident Capel will give Hugley a 2nd chance.

Throw this one in the SMF is wrong thread.

I can’t either, almost have to assume that they werent aware of the details while the investigation was playing out.

Yep. My guess is Hugley just tried the old “I didn’t know it was stolen/it was my friend not me” gimmick. And unless Capel or any Pitt official had any inside info like the video (unlikely) they had to wait for it to play out.

Yep. My guess is Hugley just tried the old “I didn’t know it was stolen/it was my friend not me” gimmick. And unless Capel or any Pitt official had any inside info like the video (unlikely) they had to wait for it to play out.

Correct. Hugley's friend stole the car. Hugley says he didn't know. Back on the team next year. This is no big deal. We need a Center not a Saint.

Btw unless you have had your car stolen this sounds like no big deal.

I haven’t seen once person sticking up for him and saying it’s not a big deal. Stealing a sweatshirt from the mall is not a huge deal... stealing the car from a girl who came to a party in your dorm is... not good.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT