ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley Update

gilligan 3

Freshman
Jan 8, 2005
I hate to do this and won’t again but I thought the attacks on John Hugley were terribly unfair.

I’m glad to see he is averaging over 10 points and 5 rebounds per game for the #11 Oklahoma Sooners.

I still think a lineup with him at the 4 and Hinson playing appreciable minutes at the 2 would be a very difficult matchup for all teams. I’m not sure how the defense would be though.

In any case, I’m glad things are working out for him.

I hate to do this and won’t again but I thought the attacks on John Hugley were terribly unfair.

I’m glad to see he is averaging over 10 points and 5 rebounds per game for the #11 Oklahoma Sooners.

I still think a lineup with him at the 4 and Hinson playing appreciable minutes at the 2 would be a very difficult matchup for all teams. I’m not sure how the defense would be though.

We were told he wasnt a P6 player but he's averaging 10 PPG for the #15 (NET) team, who is undefeated. Considering how poorly Fede has played in every facet (offense, defense, rebounding), there is no question that Hugley would have been an upgrade. I would take last year Fede over Hugley though.

I dunno. I don’t think he was responding well to Capels coaching.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence either we immediately got better the second he opted out. If anyone remembers Capel was all but gone heading into the new year and rallied with wins over UVA and UNC

I wouldn't say that exactly. The NW and NC St wins had us around the bubble.

Hugley seems to be in better shape this season. I think his problem was that he liked being a high volume, play through me guy on a bad team. So once we got good and didnt have to play through him, he didnt know how to handle it. He is a skilled player but definitely needed a change of scenery.

So we’re clear…
A 4th year center, that would’ve inarguably cost Pitt a NCAA tournament appearance last year, is playing not even half the game or starting for a solid, not great big 12 team team and averaging less points and rebounds than he did when he was a sophomore.

This is who we are talking about? His career averages are both down this year as a senior in college. What is going on here lol. How can you guys be this devoid of college hoops knowledge

I mean congrats to him on having a great game against something called Arkansas pine bluff to pump up those pedestrian numbers. Good riddance to a bad hombre

So we’re clear…
A 4th year center, that would’ve inarguably cost Pitt a NCAA tournament appearance last year, is playing not even half the game or starting for a solid, not great big 12 team team and averaging less points and rebounds than he did when he was a sophomore.

This is who we are talking about? His career averages are both down this year as a senior in college. What is going on here lol. How can you guys be this devoid of college hoops knowledge

I mean congrats to him on having a great game against something called Arkansas pine bluff to pump up those pedestrian numbers. Good riddance to a bad hombre
you call him a bad hombre as if he robbed the pete

Hugley needed a change of scenery and it’s working out for him.

I’m more surprised about Nate Santos. He’s averaging 13 and 7 for Dayton (Kenpom 56, so right around us), and shooting 60% from 3, making 2 per game. That’s some production we could use off the bench, but between Dior/Kante, the initial plan meant he was probably told he wouldn’t be playing much. But I’m happy for him.

why?

No, just stole a car, beat up an autistic kid in HS (there’s video of it) tried to destroy a team last year and upstaged our opening tourney game with the timing of his announcement.

Other than that he’s a Boy Scout.

His friend stole a car. Did he know it was stolen when he was driving it? Probably. But beating up the autistic kid is far worse if that happened.

His friend stole a car. Did he know it was stolen when he was driving it? Probably. But beating up the autistic kid is far worse if that happened.
1) it obviously happened. I saw the video and it was disgusting.
2) he helped steal the car. He thought he was gonna just drive it around all semester because the girl family had money. Just because someone else took the fall doesn’t change what actually happened.

Bad dude.

Reactions: Jim Z
No, just stole a car, beat up an autistic kid in HS (there’s video of it) tried to destroy a team last year and upstaged our opening tourney game with the timing of his announcement.

These all paint a profile of a kid with maturity issues, which isn’t really a super surprising thing to hear for a kid who by all accounts had a legitimately difficult journey for most of his life. Obviously the actions are unacceptable, some more serious than others, but they all seem to revolve around that central point.

In hindsight, thrusting him into a position as a sophomore where he’s the most productive player on a bad team probably wasn’t ideal for his development…which manifested the next year when he didn’t handle a secondary role very well. If he straightens the maturity stuff out (I have no idea whether he’s done that at OU), then there’s a productive college basketball player in there. But I do wonder if there are some guys who are destined to be stat fillers on bad teams, and whether Hugley’s a guy who’s most comfortable in that role. Being a role player is hard.

These all paint a profile of a kid with maturity issues, which isn’t really a super surprising thing to hear for a kid who by all accounts had a legitimately difficult journey for most of his life. Obviously the actions are unacceptable, some more serious than others, but they all seem to revolve around that central point.

In hindsight, thrusting him into a position as a sophomore where he’s the most productive player on a bad team probably wasn’t ideal for his development…which manifested the next year when he didn’t handle a secondary role very well. If he straightens the maturity stuff out (I have no idea whether he’s done that at OU), then there’s a productive college basketball player in there. But I do wonder if there are some guys who are destined to be stat fillers on bad teams, and whether Hugley’s a guy who’s most comfortable in that role. Being a role player is hard.
LOL Yeah immaturity is usually the reason for stealing a car and beating up autistic kids. Happens so often with immature kids. And of course its everyone elses fault that the poor kid was "thrust" into being relied upon for a major college basketball program. Im sure he would have responded much better by having his minutes limited so there wouldnt have been so much pressure on this poor immature kid.

LOL Yeah immaturity is usually the reason for stealing a car and beating up autistic kids. Happens so often with immature kids. And of course its everyone elses fault that the poor kid was "thrust" into being relied upon for a major college basketball program. Im sure he would have responded much better by having his minutes limited so there wouldnt have been so much pressure on this poor immature kid.
I don’t think you understood the tenor of my post. That’s okay, though.

Reactions: pittjas
Let’s also do a where are thugs now update with Horton who is killin it at Texas from 3. Let’s also go to the Ole Miss boards and talk about Hinson. Every team could have these what ifs.

almost putting up Coulibaly-like numbers...(13 and 7)

I hate to do it because I know how some people feel about tracking folks who left. It always leads to threads with one group attacking another.

I feel terrible about how he was treated here since it was reported he was fighting mental illness. I can forgive some of the crime stuff, who among us should cast the first stone and all of that stuff..,

The report in this thread about him beating up some autistic kid is a bit harder to take - I don’t think I ever saw that before and while the comment says I can check for myself I will confess that I don’t plan too. I’m personally not a big fan of physical violence but if I held that against everyone, I’d hate half of the population. At my age, I’ve no time to hate people.

I hate to do it because I know how some people feel about tracking folks who left. It always leads to threads with one group attacking another.

I feel terrible about how he was treated here since it was reported he was fighting mental illness. I can forgive some of the crime stuff, who among us should cast the first stone and all of that stuff..,

The report in this thread about him beating up some autistic kid is a bit harder to take - I don’t think I ever saw that before and while the comment says I can check for myself I will confess that I don’t plan too. I’m personally not a big fan of physical violence but if I held that against everyone, I’d hate half of the population. At my age, I’ve no time to hate people.
I feel pretty darn comfortable holding that against him. Dude is trash if what bball insider is saying is true.

I feel pretty darn comfortable holding that against him. Dude is trash if what bball insider is saying is true.

I dont hold the car against him. The fight, it sounds terrible but I'd have to know more. BballinsiderfromPitt is wrong on so many things, I cant trust that this happened or isnt exaggerated.

I dont hold the car against him. The fight, it sounds terrible but I'd have to know more. BballinsiderfromPitt is wrong on so many things, I cant trust that this happened or isnt exaggerated.
Wasn’t wrong on WVu though. That was you claiming a mental health waiver was coming. Way off. WAY

Not sure why this is so thread worthy. This is a guy that we thought would be one of the best players on our team - even as it was getting better.

It isn’t a guy people said wasn’t a major college player.

It was a guy that had some personal/fitness issues. So if he got that straightened out, it’s not surprising that he is a solid player again.

(Everyone is also entitled to their opinion as to whether one should be happy for him)

I don't know one way or the other whether he's a bad guy who was on a mission to destroy Pitt basketball (worse than it had already been destroyed). I'll take your word for it for sake of argument.

But your many posts about him at the time were all about how he wasn't a P6 level player, which was nonsense then, and is nonsense now. He's the 3rd leading scorer on a deep, good team. Clearly, those posts were driven by your own personal animus.

Time to eat your crow. We all have to do it once in a while. How do you like it cooked?

Has he stolen any cars in Norman?
No, but he did attempt to jack a covered wagon there.

C-hSWY.gif

But your many posts about him at the time were all about how he wasn't a P6 level player, which was nonsense then, and is nonsense now. He's the 3rd leading scorer on a deep, good team.

One of the best players on a Sweet 16 team. Another L for the Washington Generals

One of the best players on a Sweet 16 team. Another L for the Washington Generals
He sucks. He’s not even playing well for them lol. Hes play 18 mins a game and doing worse than when he was a sophomore year. Nice of him to put it all together in year 4 to average 10/5, a player of his “talents” should walk to those numbers. I’ll bet you 100 bucks they don’t make the sweet 16.

May Madness, WVU final 4, WVU coaching doesn’t matter, mental health waiver, etc etc.

He sucks. He’s not even playing well for them lol. Hes play 18 mins a game and doing worse than when he was a sophomore year. Nice of him to put it all together in year 4 to average 10/5, a player of his “talents” should walk to those numbers. I’ll bet you 100 bucks they don’t make the sweet 16.

May Madness, WVU final 4, WVU coaching doesn’t matter, mental health waiver, etc etc.

They may not make the Sweet 16 but he is going to play a big role on a good seed NCAAT team. And he is better than Fede right now. But Fede was better than him last year.

I got no dog in this fight and have already said Hugley is probably a trash person, but it’s funny watching you dog on Hugley after four years of defending that waste of space Ethan Morton trying to convince us he was somehow a meaningful contributor to his team.

I got no dog in this fight and have already said Hugley is probably a trash person, but it’s funny watching you dog on Hugley after four years of defending that waste of space Ethan Morton trying to convince us he was somehow a meaningful contributor to his team.
I’m not defending Ethan Morton. The argument was always Will Jeffress v Morton. Morton has played a role on great teams. Jeffress hasn’t.

They may not make the Sweet 16 but he is going to play a big role on a good seed NCAAT team. And he is better than Fede right now. But Fede was better than him last year.
He would be much worse for Pitt than Fede is. Hes useless at Pitt. Waste of space in the middle. Was right from day 1. Hugley got 15 mins against Arkansas and stunk. He got 17 mins against providence and stunk. Congrats on the numbers v Arkansas Pine Bluff?

Also remember, only person on this website who said Femi Odukale sucked. We had to hear about his OPPR2D2 for an entire offseason while Vader and the rest of you sucked them off. There’s putting up numbers and there is making winning plays. When you can tell the difference, you’ll know college basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
He would be much worse for Pitt than Fede is. Hes useless at Pitt. Waste of space in the middle. Was right from day 1.

Also remember, only person on this website who said Femi Odukale sucked. We had to hear about his OPPR2D2 for an entire offseason while Vader and the rest of you sucked them off. There’s putting up numbers and there is making winning plays. When you can tell the difference, you’ll know college basketball.
Jeffress is doing a good job this year and is playing winning basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT