ADVERTISEMENT

I honestly don't know why I continue to be a Pantherlair member since

punxsypanther

Freshman
Jun 22, 2001
I do not align myself with 90% of the posters on this site. I am willing to let this hire play out. I am NOT going to overreact and pull my donation as that will only serve to hurt the university to which I have pledged my allegiance. I am asking you all to give this coach and his staff a chance. Let's show some support. Let's see what kind of staff he assembles and how they recruit. Let's see what kind of product he puts on the court before we publicly lynch him and Barnes.

I do not align myself with 90% of the posters on this site. I am willing to let this hire play out. I am NOT going to overreact and pull my donation as that will only serve to hurt the university to which I have pledged my allegiance. I am asking you all to give this coach and his staff a chance. Let's show some support. Let's see what kind of staff he assembles and how they recruit. Let's see what kind of product he puts on the court before we publicly lynch him and Barnes.

A perfectly reasonable suggestion. And while we're being reasonable, Barnes can be forthcoming with the details of the search process.

You donate to athletics? That mean's Barnes is acting as an agent on your behalf and his duty is to do so responsibly and in good faith. He needs to demonstrate that this is in fact how he conducted this process.

Stallings might win a national championship for all we know. And we all hope he does.

But whether or not that ends up happening is a separate issue entirely from how this process was carried out. Unfortunately, first indications are that this was at best a flubbed process and at worst an instance of collusion among bad faith actors.

You deserve to know. But yes, hooray for our new coach Kevin Stallings...

Reactions: PittPoker

Thinking same thing. May be time just to kill the hoops boards. The fan base has definitely lived up to the national narrative of who they think we are.

It is your opinion to give this coach a chance. I look at it from the point that this guy has been a slightly below average coach (in his conference) with some better talent than Dixon. So now he come into a much tougher conference.

The AD said one thing and then went out and hired something else.

It is your opinion to give this coach a chance. I look at it from the point that this guy has been a slightly below average coach (in his conference) with some better talent than Dixon. So now he come into a much tougher conference.

The AD said one thing and then went out and hired something else.

Generally speaking, I don't think Stallings usually had as much to work with as Dixon.

Reactions: Drax1975
Generally speaking, I don't think Stallings usually had as much to work with as Dixon.

Perhaps so. However, I looked at the last 13 years of 24/7 recruit class rankings and the last 13 years of end of season Sagarin team computer rankings and found that Stalling's average Sagarin finish was essentially the same as his average recruit class (#49 or #50). For comparison Dixon's average recruit class was #41 but his average Sagarin finish was #22. This highly suggests that Dixon gets more out of his players than does Stallings. It also suggests that for Stallings to improve Pitt over what we had under Dixon he will need to consistently land top 20 recruit classes. I will be surprised if he can do that--we will have our first look at that in November on LOI day.

Also we should find out how well Stallings can coach by the end of next season (presuming he keeps the current returning roster and recruit class intact). Dixon was set to have at least a repeat of this year with an NCAA bid at the end. Stallings needs to at least match that if he is to prove to be a good hire. His track record suggests otherwise.

Reactions: ratking17
Well Said

STOP!!! You've said he was a better recruiter, NBA guys, etc. BTW, who from Vandy is in the NBA?

Thank you. I just love the overreaction before the guy has even had the opportunity to be introduced or go to work.

We have 17 years of evidence as to
A. What kind of staff he assembles
B. How they recruit
C. What kind of product he puts on the court

He was a preseason Top 20 team this season with 2 future NBA first round picks.

They finished 19-13 and barely made the tourney as a playin 11 seed.

THAT's the coach he was in 2015-16 and the product he put on the court.

Reactions: levance2
Well, I won't suggest lynching Stallings. He didn't do anything wrong in accepting the job. But I have lost faith in Barnes over the way this all went down and up until Saturday I had a huge amount of faith in him. He has some serious explaining to do. While I'm not enthusiastic about Stallings in the least, I am open to being won over by him.

Reactions: Drax1975

So then when would you pull your donation? After 4 straight years with a losing record? At that point you can say "Pitt needs my donation the most now, because they stink". So it will never end.

So then when would you pull your donation? After 4 straight years with a losing record? At that point you can say "Pitt needs my donation the most now, because they stink". So it will never end.
no, I firmly believe that donations should be pulled before this guy ever coaches a game as online expert poster whinings should drive the money train...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT