ADVERTISEMENT

I think Whipple....

cpc247

Redshirt
Jun 26, 2013
has to go. I posted this on another board. I personally don't dislike him or his style, but I strongly feel Pitt is a running program hence "RBU" (which I would want to use to our advantage for as long as possible). We also struggle to get high end pocket passers, but have been able to get a few decent mobile QBS (Chad V, Peterman, KP). We need to be able to run the football and add in the QB zone read it is the most "downhill way" to play college football. Whipple style like Watson ask a lot out of players on 3rd down and relies heavily on conditions, converting on 3rd and long, and having smart players who are mistake free (hard when dealing with 18 year old kids). I'm not saying its a bad way to play it's just harder to win that way. Even Oklahoma as pass happy as they are run the living daylights out of Hurts. Other than LSU (who has a running game too) every team in the country worth a darn runs their QB on purpose.

Secondly, Powell and Borbs have proven to be able to create a run game.... with Canada and without (Watson). IMO Whipple has decreased their value and knowledge by taking that phase of the game away (which I think is having a layer of effects). AJ Davis avg 4.2 yards per carry and should have been given more chances (including in the Wildcat especially in the red zone as a strong runner).

Pitt is a team trying to be a Top 25 program and it doesn't have the ability to waste this kind of defensive talent or play an offensive style that isn't the easiest possible way to score without an elite pocket passer. We need to adjust quickly, simplify, and get main guys the ball. I personally would have rather taken all of the TE attempts combined and gave those to AJ Davis or KP in carries. College football has a Pop Warner (midget football) element of give it to the biggest baddest kid and we did not do that or anything like it. We spread it to the weak link of the chain way to much. For the record Ffrench had 8 carries this season 3 more than Nick Patti.... THAT IS A JOKE.

I hope that I am 100% wrong and we come back to tear it up in this bowl game and next year with a Whipple offense and Bates defense that have us looking like LSU (a pass happy nasty defensive team).

H2P!!
Win a bowl game
Sign recruits

You have to have actual seasoned backs to get two thousand yards rushers in the same season oh and an Oline that can run block helps too...

Note both backs were Seniors ...

I agree ridiculous post

You have to have actual seasoned backs to get two thousand yards rushers in the same season oh and an Oline that can run block helps too...

Note both backs were Seniors ...

I agree ridiculous post
AJ Davis 4.2 - V,Davis. 5.3. - Sibley. 5.6 - Carter. 3.7

Not great, but not to be dismissed either

I agree my post is bold. But honestly ask yourself will it get better? I can’t answer that positively even if I try. Also looking at the designed runs - wildcat and Kp runs ...they were very effective. It’s different for linemen to block downhill then pass block for draws and single back runs. The wild cat extra blocker helped. The threat of the read option helped the oline too. I just think the oline would be better running it more often.

Reactions: Mr. Monaca
The wildcat works when it is used sparingly. Our OL, mainly our tackles are not capable of run blocking so if you went to a spread or used the wildcat more often the defense would know we are run dimensional and stop it. Unless our tackles learn to run block we are in trouble!

I understand that assistant coaches change frequently, but we have to end our cycle of one and done OCs

Reactions: boseman7
I understand that assistant coaches change frequently, but we have to end our cycle of one and done OCs
Canada the best oc in a long time messed things up by leaving otherwise he'd still be here, I forgot his name but didn't another good OC escape from Pitt and go to GA.

Not all one and done were Pitt decisions.

It would help if Whipple had an OL that could block and receives who can catch.

These are skills players learn in youth football.

Regarding the OL are they trained properly.

Mrs Buffett has three horses (I think that's what she tells me -they all look alike).
Her best trail horse today was once her worst trail horse a while back but it was big she liked it and trained it.

Maybe it training.

Last edited:
Reactions: MalvernPanther
Clearly he doesn’t
Because if success is predicated on Kenny throwing it a ton-
We’ll continue to struggle to score on offense

Hmmmm.

Well according to this gem we should have relied on the running game more, as ineffective as it may be, and Whipple doesnt see this

Yet another poster, posing as an offensive coordinator.

Last edited:
Reactions: bubba31
Give him one more season. Experience should help the ol and rbs. If the offense doesnt improve a good amount i would be surprised. Guys are getting open in his system. I dont know enough about running concepts to say if its good or bad, mainly think the ol hasnt blocked very well and our rbs haven't made enough guys miss or broke enough tackles.

Reactions: JSSTartan
Canada the best oc in a long time messed things up by leaving otherwise he'd still be here, I forgot his name but didn't another good OC escape from Pitt and go to GA.

Not all one and done were Pitt decisions.

It would help if Whipple had an OL that could block and receives who can catch.

These are skills players learn in youth football.

Regarding the OL are they trained properly.

Mrs Buffett has three horses (I think that's what she tells me -they all look alike).
Her best trail horse today was once her worst trail horse a while back but it was big she liked it and trained it.

Maybe it training.

Jim Chaney left Pitt and went to UGA. He left UGA and went back to Tennessee this past year. This dude needs to seriously back away from the dinner table.

I like the pro style offense with spread concepts we have. In the future we can sell kids who want to learn how to be a pro to come here. I'll admit he has Mike Martz syndrome at times ( " if i could throw it every down i would") but you can reel that in with a head coach giving a directive of balance. I want to see a fulltime fullback again though along with the power running game. Whipple has that in his arsenal so i inagine he'd be able to right the ship in year 2.

Don't see how the thought could even be entertained at this point. The next big move like that if needed should be the HC.

It was the worst offense in school history and it single-handedly prevented a 9 or 10 win season so you have to at least entertain the thought.
I think to add to this it was the lack of improvement, identity other than lots of throwing, and really no changes to personal or scheme to help this offense succeed. It really seemed like we just refused to change or modify anything.

Hmmmm.

Well according to this gem we should have relied on the running game more, as ineffective as it may be, and Whipple doesnt see this

Yet another poster, posing as an offensive coordinator.
Watson was a bum - we scored 42 touchdowns

wipple is a genius - we scored 24 touchdown.

I’m just a dude who knows our offense stunk last year - and is among the worst in college football statistically

Soooooo.......

If Watson was here this year we would have shattered all kinds of rushing records.

If Whipple was here last year, 2 NFL backs and a seasoned OL, we wouldn't punish anyone.

As I said, everyone is an offensive coordinator.

Some however, are dumber than most.

Reactions: bubba31
Soooooo.......

If Watson was here this year we would have shattered all kinds of rushing records.

If Whipple was here last year, 2 NFL backs and a seasoned OL, we wouldn't punish anyone.

And the dumbest of all is Pat Narduzzi who doesn't have the intelligence and skill to keep a good offensive coordinator or hire a competent one.

AJ Davis 4.2 - V,Davis. 5.3. - Sibley. 5.6 - Carter. 3.7

Not great, but not to be dismissed either

There are 130 FBS football teams. We are currently 121st in yards per carry.

The only reason that isn't to be dismissed is because we need to figure out why we are so bad at running the ball. The fact that you don't think we are bad at running the ball doesn't mean that we aren't. It means that you are wrong.

There are 130 FBS football teams. We are currently 121st in yards per carry.

The only reason that isn't to be dismissed is because we need to figure out why we are so bad at running the ball. The fact that you don't think we are bad at running the ball doesn't mean that we aren't. It means that you are wrong.

In theory -The good news is Pitt can only improve.
But some programs has to be #122 - #130.

Soooooo.......

Apparently whipple is included in that group because 24 offensive touchdowns
And ranked 115 out of 130 teams in scoring offense

Is this sinking in?
The whipple led Pitt offense was among the worst offenses in college football

scoring 115
Rushing 121
Passing yard per completion 117
Red zone offense 97

I mean the thing you want credit him for
We ranked 47! In passing offense
Which means 36% of teams were still better .

Apparently whipple is included in that group because 24 offensive touchdowns
And ranked 115 out of 130 teams in scoring offense

Is this sinking in?
The whipple led Pitt offense was among the worst offenses in college football

scoring 115
Rushing 121
Passing yard per completion 117
Red zone offense 97

I mean the thing you want credit him for
We ranked 47! In passing offense
Which means 36% of teams were still better .

Once again you miss the boat.

My ONLY assertion is that Whipple knows that you cant make chicken salad from chicken s&$t. As such, he relied on the most productive weapons at his disposal,

Picketts arm, no matter how inaccurate.....and Pitt's receivers, who in many cases had hands like feet.

If you, and several other dopes that believe Whipple is a dunce cant figure out he utilized the miserable talent as well as possible, then be happy in your world of delusion.

The talent on this offense stinks.

Pitt points decade
342 26.3
315 24.2
346 26.6
342 26.3
414 31.8
367 28.2
532 40.9 canada
287 23.9
359 25.6
241 20.1 whipple

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
Once again you miss the boat.

My ONLY assertion is that Whipple knows that you cant make chicken salad from chicken s&$t. As such, he relied on the most productive weapons at his disposal,

Picketts arm, no matter how inaccurate.....and Pitt's receivers, who in many cases had hands like feet.

If you, and several other dopes that believe Whipple is a dunce cant figure out he utilized the miserable talent as well as possible, then be happy in your world of delusion.

The talent on this offense stinks.
So keep whipple and fire everybody else ?

go ahead and look at red zone troubles at other programs and figure out how it’s also not his fault

Soooooo.......

I understand your point, but I think it's fair for fans who watch these game every week to point out game day tendencies (good or bad). You can't tell me that this offense was fluid or organized in any fashion. It had individual drives that went well, but I can't think of 1 complete game it has played this year (i'm open to suggestions). 39 drops, countless false starts, you would be naive to say that Whipple wasn't forcing his agenda a little bit. Whipple is a coach he knows what he was brought here to do, if he doesn't do his task he looks bad and is gone. People would not be calling Whipple a great hire if he used Canada concepts (by force) ie. Watson. I think even if things went better in terms of drops/penalties etc and we won 9 games it probably gets a pass, but it still doesn't seem like a complementary fit to this style of defense or how HCPN wants to play (perception of playing).

The name of the game is WIN, followed by coaching a style that helps players to win, lastly being a "genius" coach/play caller/recruiter.

Pitt points decade
342 26.3
315 24.2
346 26.6
342 26.3
414 31.8
367 28.2
532 40.9 canada
287 23.9
359 25.6
241 20.1 whipple

That is disturbing. Worst in school history, at least in the modern era. Unless Narduzzi thinks he's getting Walt Harris-level offensive talent, Whipple isnt going to work here. Heck, at UConn he needed an NFL WR and TE

Pitt points decade
342 26.3
315 24.2
346 26.6
342 26.3
414 31.8
367 28.2
532 40.9 canada
287 23.9
359 25.6
241 20.1 whipple

im way too lazy, but would like to see the last 10 Whipple led offenses as HC or OC. May help show whether this is a downward trend for Whipple or a bad year due to Pitt players skillset, transition year, etc

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT