Is this sinking in?
The whipple led Pitt offense was among the worst offenses in college football

scoring 115
Rushing 121
Passing yard per completion 117
Red zone offense 97

I mean the thing you want credit him for
We ranked 47! In passing offense
Which means 36% of teams were still better .

Tough to give him a 2nd year with these results... Pat's gotta at least TRY to find an upgrade.

I agree my post is bold. But honestly ask yourself will it get better? I can’t answer that positively even if I try. Also looking at the designed runs - wildcat and Kp runs ...they were very effective. It’s different for linemen to block downhill then pass block for draws and single back runs. The wild cat extra blocker helped. The threat of the read option helped the oline too. I just think the oline would be better running it more often.
Whipple should have been fired after the VT game.

So keep whipple and fire everybody else ?

go ahead and look at red zone troubles at other programs and figure out how it’s also not his fault

The other side if the coin, by your assertion, must concede credit for the Pitt Special , the play to beat Duke, and the playcalling to win in OT vs UNC.

My whole point is Whipple knows he doesnt have enough talent.

And knowing you....you will find a way to state otherwise, no matter how foolish you look in doing so.

The other side if the coin, by your assertion, must concede credit for the Pitt Special , the play to beat Duke, and the playcalling to win in OT vs UNC.

And knowing you....you will find a way to state otherwise, no matter how foolish you look in doing so.

you mean three games which we built solid leads and then the offense took a dirt nap for 2 quarters - so the games became close at the wire ?

this is the credit you want?
We managed to beat two teams we should have and 1 at home as an upset ?

Reactions: lilspainishflea
you mean three games which we built solid leads and then the offense took a dirt nap for 2 quarters - so the games became close at the wire ?

this is the credit you want?
We managed to beat two teams we should have and 1 at home as an upset ?

Thank you for finally saying something worthwhile.

Our talent stinks on offense. Our OC understands this.

Much to the surprise of many, you can see the light from time to time.

The end.

Reactions: bubba31
No inside info but I sense there’s a dysfunctional triangular relationship between Whipple, Kenny and the rest of the offense. Pickett is frequently visibly disgusted with the play his teammates...shaking his head on receiver drops, spiking the ball in anger when his OLine jumps offsides etc. And rather than huddle in with his men and recollect their morale Pickett has to run over to the sidelines and get that same disgust thrown back at him by Whipple. The relationship reminds me of the kid at the playground who has to check in every five minutes with his helicopter parent who dictates what he should say to his peers rather than leaving the kid to just figure it out for himself.

Everyone who blames the poor performance of Pitt’s offense on the individual shortcomings of each player (especially Kenny) overlooks how often the lack of chemistry between the players can make the whole far lesser than the sum of its parts. Sometimes bad play starts with bad mojo...and I don’t get any encouraging vibes when I see the way Whipple interacts with his squad.

No inside info but I sense there’s a dysfunctional triangular relationship between Whipple, Kenny and the rest of the offense. Pickett is frequently visibly disgusted with the play his teammates...shaking his head on receiver drops, spiking the ball in anger when his OLine jumps offsides etc. And rather than huddle in with his men and recollect their morale Pickett has to run over to the sidelines and get that same disgust thrown back at him by Whipple. The relationship reminds me of the kid at the playground who has to check in every five minutes with his helicopter parent who dictates what he should say to his peers rather than leaving the kid to just figure it out for himself.

Everyone who blames the poor performance of Pitt’s offense on the individual shortcomings of each player (especially Kenny) overlooks how often the lack of chemistry between the players can make the whole far lesser than the sum of its parts. Sometimes bad play starts with bad mojo...and I don’t get any encouraging vibes when I see the way Whipple interacts with his squad.

A terrific post. I agree with this.

I would only add, the guys on the field look to Pickett, not to Whipple.

Its incumbent upon KP to be a leader even if he is at odds with the OC.

Didnt see much from KP in that regard and it is clear the players take their que from his mannerisms.

I used to think it was silly to see a QB on the sidelines telling at his OL....but I wish we had that fire in our QB.

I will concede all of those points PS, Duke, UNC for this board if you concede that those games were "IN THE BAG" and that same play calling allowed for it to become the close games they ended as. I will go on record saying I don't think Whipple is a horrible OC at all, but I don't think he fits the style that HCPN wants easily (it's a lot of give and take).

If Pickett were as accurate as he was vs. say PSU or UNC against UVA (and the receivers actually catch the ball), we’re praising a brilliant game plan that lit up UVA’s defense and a really good chance we’re playing Clemson tonight.

Mark Whipple had nothing to do with our team leading the country in dropped passes (unless it was him that insisted on Griffin-Stewart starting every game at TE.) More talent and Whipple will have a good offense.

The only criticism to even make about Whipple is why does he insist on throwing so much considering the circumstances. And well frankly because the running game was even worse.

Any deficiencies with this year’s offense lands solely at the feet of Narduzzi. He’s the head coach and has been for 5 years now, he should have way more talent out there than a group that dropped 40 some passes in 12 games.

I will concede all of those points PS, Duke, UNC for this board if you concede that those games were "IN THE BAG" and that same play calling allowed for it to become the close games they ended as. I will go on record saying I don't think Whipple is a horrible OC at all, but I don't think he fits the style that HCPN wants easily (it's a lot of give and take).

I will to a point.

Our defense may have had a rare lapse, and we turnovered the Duke game into almost disaster. Neither of which is on Whipple.

That said, Whipple indeed is not blameless in certain cases. And yea, the personnel overall is not good but MW indeed has made some questionable decisions.

Reactions: bubba31
I wonder how many PSU and WVU trolls post here? Why is Whipple suddenly going to be better next year?

He likely won't... 20ppg next year will still be below 25. Either way not good enough.

Need to average 30ppg to be a good team with 9/10 wins.

Reactions: cpc247
If Pickett were as accurate as he was vs. say PSU or UNC against UVA (and the receivers actually catch the ball), we’re praising a brilliant game plan that lit up UVA’s defense and a really good chance we’re playing Clemson tonight.

Mark Whipple had nothing to do with our team leading the country in dropped passes (unless it was him that insisted on Griffin-Stewart starting every game at TE.) More talent and Whipple will have a good offense.

The only criticism to even make about Whipple is why does he insist on throwing so much considering the circumstances. And well frankly because the running game was even worse.

Any deficiencies with this year’s offense lands solely at the feet of Narduzzi. He’s the head coach and has been for 5 years now, he should have way more talent out there than a group that dropped 40 some passes in 12 games.

Agree with the circumstances part. With our defense, we should have been running the ball more, even if it didn't work very well. There's zero reason that Kenny Pickett and this motley crew of WR should be attempting 40+ passes per game.

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
Agree with the circumstances part. With our defense, we should have been running the ball more, even if it didn't work very well. There's zero reason that Kenny Pickett and this motley crew of WR should be attempting 40+ passes per game.
I’ll agree to a point, for the most part yeah they needed to run the ball a little bit more. The times we did run the ball this year though seemed to make very little sense a lot of the time. Slowing down the offense too early, running the ball and settling for a FG or a punt, things like that.

Pitt was in a weird position of limbo offensively. It was clear Whipple wanted to air it out all the time, but it seemed Narduzzi wasn’t willing to let him totally do that. I would’ve rather seen Pitt throw it every down all game than pass all first half and shut down the offense in the second half. But I agree the best option would’ve just been a more balanced attack all game long.

I think it is more on the O Line...no? Did Borbely get worse in year 2?
How does he go from genius to bum in a year? He had 4 seniors last year and a line full of underclassmen this year.
Is it coaching or experience? Not sure...any thoughts?

In Narduzzi's 5th year, those backs and receivers are his recruits. Having a new OC every year HURTS recruiting linemen and other needs on offense like TE, and Running back. So they have young guys who may develop later on at receiver but all this turnover at OC is gonna hinder any identity or consistency on offense. I say mandate a 55/45 split between the run and pass, develop your line and go from there. But getting a tight end that is here longer term has to be a directive if your gonna play a pro style offense with spread concepts like the run and shoot.

In Narduzzi's 5th year, those backs and receivers are his recruits. Having a new OC every year HURTS recruiting linemen and other needs on offense like TE, and Running back. So they have young guys who may develop later on at receiver but all this turnover at OC is gonna hinder any identity or consistency on offense. I say mandate a 55/45 split between the run and pass, develop your line and go from there. But getting a tight end that is here longer term has to be a directive if your gonna play a pro style offense with spread concepts like the run and shoot.
A new oc every year is not good.
A bad oc every year is " worser."
A good oc every year is better.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT