ADVERTISEMENT

I thought recruiting rankings dont matter

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
teams that get the elite players, win. we get it, it's been that way since Pre WW2.

Captain Obvious Im Captain Obvious GIF - Captain Obvious Im Captain Obvious And Im Here To Read The Comments GIFs

Bad coaching can derail a team but it really takes a lot of work to mess up that type of talent that Miami and Texas screw up. Its like 80% talent, 20% coaching.
I think your ratios may be a bit skewed. You need talent but coaching is a bit more important than that. Obviously.

Reactions: FireballZ
Its hard to through darts at Miami based on their history against pitt. It feels like they typically have superior athletes against us. I don't know how they lose as many games as they do because I don't watch many of their games.

Reactions: Millerton24
Its hard to through darts at Miami based on their history against pitt. It feels like they typically have superior athletes against us. I don't know how they lose as many games as they do because I don't watch many of their games.
Not throwing darts at Miami simply stating that they’re pounding their chest on recruiting rankings but they can’t win games on the field. Sounds like dairy u up north

Reactions: columbus mike

This guy made a formula for a team's potential success based on what the players on their team were ranked out of HS. Strangely, the best teams have the best recruits.
Doesn't Miami have the most talent according to recruiting rankings in the Coastal every year? How many Coastal titles have they won?

I mean on a macro level, thanks Captain Obvious. But it goes a whole lot more deep than this, doesn't it?? PSU, USC, Texas, Oregon, A&M, Florida. This is just a quick glance of teams regularly at the top of recruiting rankings over the past 6-7 years.

So it is more than just recruiting. Sure, Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, Clemson and Oklahoma are there too......

It is just not a 1:1 correlation as many people would think. I mean r (correlation coefficient) is probably around 0.5-0.55 which indicates there is definitely some correlation, but it is probably not as high as people think.

Only defect with the blue chip ratio is it doesn’t take account the rating of your 4* guys or how many 5* guys.

I’d rather have a recruiting class at say 50% if those were made up of high 4* and 5* guys, compared to a class of 100% 4* guys but they are all like 89 rated.

I mean on a macro level, thanks Captain Obvious. But it goes a whole lot more deep than this, doesn't it?? PSU, USC, Texas, Oregon, A&M, Florida. This is just a quick glance of teams regularly at the top of recruiting rankings over the past 6-7 years.

So it is more than just recruiting. Sure, Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, Clemson and Oklahoma are there too......

It is just not a 1:1 correlation as many people would think. I mean r (correlation coefficient) is probably around 0.5-0.55 which indicates there is definitely some correlation, but it is probably not as high as people think.

Elliot doesn’t really argue otherwise. His point is always, “I cannot tell you who will win the national championship based on the blue chip ratio. But I can tell you who cant.”

Being on this list is a necessary condition, but not a sufficient condition. Things like coaching is needed as well.

Well divisions have an influence on the correlation. Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State all recruit pretty well. But they're all in a division with each other and Ohio State. So somebody has to finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th...

On the other side, Wisconsin and Iowa may not recruit all that highly, but neither does anyone else in that division kill it in recruiting. So someone has to finish 1st and 2nd.

Then Tennessee and Florida recruit well, but they're in a division with each other and Georgia (and Kentucky, who actually recruits pretty well). Same with A&M, LSU, and Auburn - in with each other plus Bama, plus Ole Miss. They can't all finish in 1st place (or 2nd or 3rd or 4th) in the division.

There are also just straight outliers (USC, Texas, etc.). Usually that comes down to quarterbacks and offensive linemen. For instance, a big complaint from USC fans is that Stanford gets all the offensive linemen out there because that tends to be the smartest positional group and they really value the free Stanford education. That probably makes sense when you see how many linemen and tight ends Stanford and Notre Dame typically put into the NFL.

Reactions: cashisking884
Elliot doesn’t really argue otherwise. His point is always, “I cannot tell you who will win the national championship based on the blue chip ratio. But I can tell you who cant.”

Being on this list is a necessary condition, but not a sufficient condition. Things like coaching is needed as well.
Yes. And having a dynamic QB and a playmaker can elevate a team as we saw last year.

2 times in the last 5 years?

I don't remember how 2020 worked, but they had the best conference record in the Coastal.
lol, what? Miami has only one the coastal once, in 2017. in 2020, they went away from divisions and clemson and ND played since they had the two best records.

I'd love to hear how you got that miami won it twice in the last 5 years. Are we just making sh*t up now? I mean, just saying what we want with zero regards to facts?

lol, what? Miami has only one the coastal once, in 2017. in 2020, they went away from divisions and clemson and ND played.

I'd love to hear how you got that miami won it twice in the last 5 years.

I think he's saying they had the best record of any traditional Coastal team (Notre Dame and Clemson were ahead of them, but they're not Coastal teams).

I think he's saying they had the best record of any traditional Coastal team (Notre Dame and Clemson were ahead of them, but they're not Coastal teams).
lol, so the year where there werent divisions and the two best teams were taken, he is claiming a coastal title for that year?

I cant believe i spend time conversing with you guys sometimes. i dont know if you guys need to stop doing drugs or start doing more..

Reactions: USN_Panther
lol, so the year where there werent divisions and the two best teams were taken, he is claiming a coastal title for that year?

I cant believe i spend time conversing with you guys sometimes. i dont know if you guys need to stop doing drugs or start doing more..

Hey, I'm just being the interpreter. And I can assure you that less drugs is definitely the ideal route for myself. I can't speak for the others, though.

• Haha
Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Well then Pitt also has had this twice in the last 5 years of the Coastal. So......

Yeah, no doubt. As much as anything, culture matters. Upperclassmen are highly valued by coaches. It's why guys like Nakia Griffin-Stewart get phone calls from Alabama when they enter the portal. 22,23,24-year-olds going against 19 and 20-year-olds is another equalizer. Look at the years we won the Coastal: We had starters that included Herndon, Dintino, Millin, Shane Roy (I think), Houy, Drexel, Petrishen, etc. Those dudes weren't exactly studs, but they can hold their own against guys who are a few years younger than them. Good culture + less tumultuous handling of the program (e.g. firing your coach every 3-5 years and turning the roster completely over) is undeniably a good formula for success.

It's still not one that will allow you to compete with the absolute freaks Alabama and Ohio State are bringing in (which speaks to CashisKing's comments above), but it can certainly allow you to compete with the Miamis of the world. Hell, look at the Tennessee game last year. Hot day in Knoxville, and we had like 20 more guys dressed than they did. No way that didn't help.

Culture, quarterback, o-line, coaching... a lot goes into it. But I still content that recruiting matters a lot. More than anything else, probably. Ed Oregon wasn't a mad genius all of a sudden when they won a national championship. They were a loaded roster that finally found a quarterback.

Who are those teams losing to though?

Coaching matters, just not a great deal. Give me Alabama's players and let Saban coach Pitt and I will win.

Who are those teams losing to though?

Coaching matters, just not a great deal. Give me Alabama's players and let Saban coach Pitt and I will win.

If we're talking specifically about x's and o's, coaching matters infinitely more in basketball than football. Recruiting is still the most important aspect in both sports, but then implementing a culture is way more important than x's and o's in football.

Culture, quarterback, o-line, coaching... a lot goes into it. But I still content that recruiting matters a lot. More than anything else, probably. Ed Oregon wasn't a mad genius all of a sudden when they won a national championship. They were a loaded roster that finally found a quarterback.

Yep.
If you look at national title winners over the last 20 or so years. It’s almost the same coaches over and over again. Saban, Meyer, Dabo, etc.

The only oddballs are like Larry Coker and Gene Chizikn and a couple like that. And none of them “coached” their way to that national championship. All were so bad they ended up fired.

Basically, Alabama, Clemson and Georgia can will a national championship in the current construction.

Everyone else play the lucky 4th fiddle season to make the playoffs.

Not discrediting the concept. A higher ratio of blue chip athletes who come into your program will definitely increase your "hit rate" for filling a position with a playmaker.

A more interesting analysis of data might be a breakdown by position group with some factor for time in the program using a running average. Like QB's, offensive skill guys, and OL but factor average time on the roster over the previous five year span. Would be interesting to see if one position group mattered more and how fast kids are moving through one program or another. I would think both of those things have to matter.

Basically, Alabama, Clemson and Georgia can will a national championship in the current construction.

Ohio State also. And I'm not sure Clemson can any longer unless they can get another 1st Rounder at QB

Hey, don't forget Ohio State.

#Parity

I think NIL could add a few more players (Tennessee, A&M, USC, and maybe one or two more). And then there are probably a few teams who can win one and just haven't put it all together (Texas, maybe Oklahoma, and LSU did win one so they have to be on the list).

But there are teams that recruit well and are still lightyears away from being a true threat to win a national championship (Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Florida, etc.), which is depressing. But (assuming the current format remains in tact, which I don't believe will happen) the pendulum has to swing at some point, you would think. Not to a point where there is parity, per se, but at least to a point where there are a handful of different players on top.

Hey, don't forget Ohio State.

#Parity

I think NIL could add a few more players (Tennessee, A&M, USC, and maybe one or two more). And then there are probably a few teams who can win one and just haven't put it all together (Texas, maybe Oklahoma, and LSU did win one so they have to be on the list).

But there are teams that recruit well and are still lightyears away from being a true threat to win a national championship (Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Florida, etc.), which is depressing. But (assuming the current format remains in tact, which I don't believe will happen) the pendulum has to swing at some point, you would think. Not to a point where there is parity, per se, but at least to a point where there are a handful of different players on top.

tO$U are not in the same league as the other 3. They are among the next tier who usually gets embarrassed when they make the playoffs.

By winning it this year and not being embarrassed by the others in the past.

LSU is another in that 2nd tier.

Since the CFP began, Georgia has only been in it twice. Won the championship once, lost in the championship once.

Ohio State has been in it 4 times, and I believe they were on probation once or it would have been 5. Won the championship once, lost in the championship once.

Georgia is very likely to pass them due to talent concentration. But I wouldn't say they have yet.

Edit: Ohio State's probation was actually when they were 12-0 in 2012.

Reactions: Ski11585
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT