ADVERTISEMENT

I thought recruiting rankings dont matter

Hey, don't forget Ohio State.

#Parity

I think NIL could add a few more players (Tennessee, A&M, USC, and maybe one or two more). And then there are probably a few teams who can win one and just haven't put it all together (Texas, maybe Oklahoma, and LSU did win one so they have to be on the list).

But there are teams that recruit well and are still lightyears away from being a true threat to win a national championship (Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Florida, etc.), which is depressing. But (assuming the current format remains in tact, which I don't believe will happen) the pendulum has to swing at some point, you would think. Not to a point where there is parity, per se, but at least to a point where there are a handful of different players on top.

I said in another thread, the best thing Cristobal and Lincoln Riley and Freeman at ND are going to do, even if they don’t win a ton at their schools, is keep more talent away from Bama and OSU and UGA. Which should give that next tier of recruiting classes a better chance.
It isn’t going to do much for the Rutgers of the world. But it should give the Michigans and Oklahomas and Oregons a better chance.

2 times in the last 5 years?

I don't remember how 2020 worked, but they had the best conference record in the Coastal.
Miami won the Coastal ONCE. They’ve played in the ACC Championship game ONCE in their 17 year history of being in the ACC. Narduzzi has won the Coastal TWICE in the last 4 seasons and has 1 Championship Ring.

Last edited:
Pitt has played Miami pretty even the last couple years. Pitt should of won the two games at home but made crucial mistakes. The other away game Pickett was out but they played Miami pretty sound. Talent did not seem to much different.

Miami won the Coastal ONCE. They’ve played in the ACC Championship game ONCE in their 17 year history of being in the ACC. Narduzzi has won the Coastal TWICE in the last 4 seasons and has 1 Championship Ring.
No doubt Narduzzi has done a great job, no one is disputing that. I was just questioning what would be considered Coastal champ in 2020 when there were no divisions and no division champions. Miami went 7-2 in conference for the best winning percentage in the division. But UNC went 7-3 in conference and won the head-to-head against Miami.
I assume UNC would have the claim for having the same number of wins and the head-to-head, but not sure if it would be decided by wins or win percentage.

Pitt has played Miami pretty even the last couple years. Pitt should of won the two games at home but made crucial mistakes. The other away game Pickett was out but they played Miami pretty sound. Talent did not seem to much different.

True. In '19, V'lique hit the wrong hole and Kenny threw a really bad interception. Last year, aside from the fact that we came out asleep, Whipple made some really bad calls in the red zone (although Krull could have walked into the end zone on that end around).

The Coastal has been weird like that. We played Carolina evenly and lost six in a row. But then the last five times we played Duke evenly, we won four of them. Some teams seem to just have other team's numbers or something.

Hell, look at the Tennessee game last year. Hot day in Knoxville, and we had like 20 more guys dressed than they did. No way that didn't help.
How did we have twenty more guys dressed than Tennessee? Aren't you only allowed 70 guys on a travel squad? You're telling me Tennessee only dressed 50 players?

True. In '19, V'lique hit the wrong hole and Kenny threw a really bad interception. Last year, aside from the fact that we came out asleep, Whipple made some really bad calls in the red zone (although Krull could have walked into the end zone on that end around).

The Coastal has been weird like that. We played Carolina evenly and lost six in a row. But then the last five times we played Duke evenly, we won four of them. Some teams seem to just have other team's numbers or something.
Yeah that is true. VT would likely be assuredly and confidently awaiting for its B1G or SEC bid right now, instead of chewing its fingernails along with us on the outside looking in … if only they’d beaten us all those years that they easily should have while they were ranked highly during the 00s.

How did we have twenty more guys dressed than Tennessee? Aren't you only allowed 70 guys on a travel squad? You're telling me Tennessee only dressed 50 players?

Pretty sure the allowance numbers were bigger since it was the free Covid year. Tennessee's scholarship count as of the day of that game was only 71 because they got hammered in the portal after the coaching change. We had something like 95 guys on scholarship. Additionally, they had a bunch of injuries.

Or maybe they were just talking about the roster as a whole, but I was reminded by Tennessee fans how shorthanded they were a good 50 times.

Last edited:
Cristobal might just be more overrated than the used car salesman. LOL who are we kidding Franklin sucks. Mario is definitely overrated tho

Yep, and that 1 year who kicked there f*cking ass? We did

Miami has been horrible for a long time no discipline, no hard work, living in the past, just assuming because you’re a 4 or 5 star recruit it will translate to winning, wrong mentality, and yes coming back to the present Mario could be overrated as a HC, but his coaching staff it’s not. When the 2023 recruiting cycle ends Miami could have a top 3 class and you add a magnificent coaching staff. Well you have to be crazy to expect the same results. Miami will be a force in the ACC and one of the top 5 teams in CF in the next two years.

Miami has been horrible for a long time no discipline, no hard work, living in the past, just assuming because you’re a 4 or 5 star recruit it will translate to winning, wrong mentality, and yes coming back to the present Mario could be overrated as a HC, but his coaching staff it’s not. When the 2023 recruiting cycle ends Miami could have a top 3 class and you add a magnificent coaching staff. Well you have to be crazy to expect the same results. Miami will be a force in the ACC and one of the top 5 teams in CF in the next two years.
You write something in that same flavor every year.

Well done.

I’m at the point where I’m going to have to see it, to believe it.

2022 depth chart

QB TVD 4 ⭐️ 5.8
QB Jake 4 ⭐️. 6.0 borderline 5 star ⭐️
RB Jayl. 4 star 🌟 5.8
RB parri 4 star ⭐️ 5.8
TE millo 4 ⭐️ 5.8
TEcarri. 4 ⭐️ 5.8
TE Skin. 4 ⭐️ 6.0
WR Geor 4 ⭐️ 5.8
WR smith 4 star ⭐️ 5.8
We Lads 4 ⭐️ 6.0
WR Rest 4 ⭐️ 5.8
To be Continue

Well done.

Every single one UM fan knew that we had no head coach and the staff sucked very much. This is different, but I agree we’re in a wait and see..

Well done.

In some ways it’s gotta be really tough to be their fan. At least since we only get mostly 3 star guys and ‘meh’ (or worse) coaching hires, we can legitimately think we’ve overachieved many years. They gotta be perennially disappointed. Not as bad as Texas at least.

Then why would top recruits agree to join this bad coaching staff? Most winners want to continue to ..... you know.....win
Because the brand still carries weight even though it’s been down for years. But we had probably the worst AD in all college football, now we have one of the best in Dan Radakovich former Clemson AD. You have a former top NFL personnel guy as the Director of Football operations.

Miami joined the ACC in 2004. Pitt joined the ACC in 2013.

Pitt won the ACC Championship last year.

Miami still waiting to win their first one.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
It's mind boggling that Miami has underperformed that badly.
And has someone else said, they look SO good vs us. Like Varsity vs JV, almost like 90s Miami teams with talent all over the field....well not that good but they look good. I know its coaching but you have to be royally bad to do what they did in the Coastal.

I know its coaching but you have to be royally bad to do what they did in the Coastal.

Their list of coaches since joining the Coastal is a whose who of coaches that would never be hired at a P5 program:

Coker
Shannon
Golden
Diaz

An over the hill Richt was the only one that had a P5 job. Most had never coached a college football game. And haven’t since.

I’ve said several times: Miami is the perfect embodiment of everything wrong with the ACC. Miami had to consciously not care about football to have made the hires they did and got to the state the program was in.
And you can say that about the ACC as a whole.

I don’t care how much talent you have. You need a Elite QB to win a lot of football games. Especially, in college.

I don’t care how much talent you have. You need a Elite QB to win a lot of football games. Especially, in college.

If you're absolutely stacked, I think you can get by with a Stetson Bennett (I'm not sure how great Mac Jones or Cardale Jones were either). But a team on Pitt's level would almost certainly need an elite QB to compete in the top ten.

Reactions: sherepower
If you're absolutely stacked, I think you can get by with a Stetson Bennett (I'm not sure how great Mac Jones or Cardale Jones were either). But a team on Pitt's level would almost certainly need an elite QB to compete at a top ten level.
GA just won a NC with a qb that well, kinda stinks. tOSU won an NC years ago with their 3rd string qb..

But yeah, very rare and those two teams were ridiculously stacked so extreme cases for sure. with Pitt last year, it took a first rd NFL QB to get us to 10 wins. A good but not great qb on that '21 team, we go 7-5 / 8-4 best case.

GA just won a NC with a qb that well, kinda stinks. tOSU won an NC years ago with their 3rd string qb..

But yeah, very rare and those two teams were ridiculously stacked so extreme cases for sure. with Pitt last year, it took a first rd NFL QB to get us to 10 wins. A good but not great qb on that '21 team, we go 7-5 / 8-4 best case.

Greg McElroy won one, and AJ McCarron won two. I'm prepared to say that Alabama can be in the title hunt with a decent game manager most years.

But a team like Clemson, when they first stared becoming a powerhouse, did need elite QB play, because they weren't nearly as stacked as Alabama.

Greg McElroy won one, and AJ McCarron won two. I'm prepared to say that Alabama can be in the title hunt with a decent game manager most years.

But a team like Clemson, when they first stared becoming a powerhouse, did need elite QB play, because they weren't nearly as stacked as Alabama.
I agree there are very few teams who can win games with a game manager at the QB spot. However, 95 percent of teams need elite QB play to reach a certain level.

Georgia last year had something like 8 defensive players drafted in the early rounds of the NFL draft. When you have that much talent you can get away with having a average QB.

I agree there are very few teams who can win games with a game manager at the QB spot. However, 95 percent of teams need elite QB play to reach a certain level.

I do think the elite of the elite can make a bigger difference in college than in the pros. Cam Newton and Jameis Winston, for instance, basically carried teams on their backs. Even guys like Michael Vick and Pat White had those teams ranked way higher than they probably should have been. But yeah... If you've got a roster like the 2001 Miami team, then Ken Dorsey is good enough.

Elite talent doesn’t need an elite QB to be elite.

But usually it does need an elite QB to win a NC, because at that point you’re going against other elite teams.

Les Miles at LSU built an elite program without much of a QB most years. He just struggled when it was time to go up against FL or UGA or Bama even during the elite prime years, because they were also elite.

Georgia last year had something like 8 defensive players drafted in the early rounds of the NFL draft. When you have that much talent you can get away with having a average QB.
It was a couple lifetimes ago so the memory glazes, but recall that we actually won our last NC with our backup QB who was pretty much a game manager

If you're absolutely stacked, I think you can get by with a Stetson Bennett (I'm not sure how great Mac Jones or Cardale Jones were either). But a team on Pitt's level would almost certainly need an elite QB to compete in the top ten.
That's certainly been a Texas problem. Florida. LSU are others. LSU is the perfect example, Joe Burrows then a bunch of hacks.

That's certainly been a Texas problem. Florida. LSU are others. LSU is the perfect example, Joe Burrows then a bunch of hacks.
QB is the most important position in all of sports. Talent CAN make up for subpar QB play but not always. If I was one of those blue bloods, I would trade like 10-15 4-5 stars for just 1 guaranteed 1st Round NFL QB. I know there's no guarantees but just saying. One of Miami's biggest issues is they haven't had a QB in the ACC. The best was Kaaya and he had them at 11-0

QB is the most important position in all of sports. Talent CAN make up for subpar QB play but not always. If I was one of those blue bloods, I would trade like 10-15 4-5 stars for just 1 guaranteed 1st Round NFL QB. I know there's no guarantees but just saying. One of Miami's biggest issues is they haven't had a QB in the ACC. The best was Kaaya and he had them at 11-0

That was Rosier. Who was actually a pretty bad QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT