ADVERTISEMENT

If Capel goes 0-19 next year

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
How much of it would be his fault?

This past season, I blamed 40% on Barnes for being an idiot, 40% on Dixon for leaving Stallings only 2 underclassmen who were ACC-level players, and 20% on Stallings.

I know there were a lot of you who say stupid things Iike the team's result is 100% on the coach of the team no matter the hand he was dealt. So, if a widely popular coach, like Jeff Capel inherits an 0-19, loses its best 3 players, has only 5 returning players, and goes 0-19, is that 100% his fault?

I think Capel will find 1 or 2 wins but 0 wins is definitely a possibility and I hope Pitt fans are ok with that.

This past season, I blamed 40% on Barnes for being an idiot, 40% on Dixon for leaving Stallings only 2 underclassmen who were ACC-level players, and 20% on Stallings.

I know there were a lot of you who say stupid things Iike the team's result is 100% on the coach of the team no matter the hand he was dealt. So, if a widely popular coach, like Jeff Capel inherits an 0-19, loses its best 3 players, has only 5 returning players, and goes 0-19, is that 100% his fault?

I think Capel will find 1 or 2 wins but 0 wins is definitely a possibility and I hope Pitt fans are ok with that.
He won't.

It's all your fault.

It's all your fault.

I wanted to say 5% Capel's fault, but I thought that was too high so I'd say 1% his fault but I know there will be people who sa it will be 100% his fault

Can we please move past this blame thing?

And as long as Coach Capel continues to bring hope with recruiting as he's done in his short time here, I'm sure almost each and every Pitt Hoops fan will be ok with a low win total.

You love being dumb

You love being dumb

It would be all on Capel, right?

You keep repeating this over and over again how none of it would be Capel’s fault but being so repetitive about it doesn’t make it true. Take a look back and see how rarely teams go winless in conference, it takes a special combination of a horrible team plus very bad luck. Whoever coaches those woeful squads certainly deserves some blame no matter what they inherit.

If Pitt goes winless in conference again it means they probably regressed as the season went on, the current coaching staff will get a lot of the blame and deservedly so. I wouldn’t worry about it too much as I would be very surprised if they don’t win 2-3 in the ACC next year.

Because a new coach coming off an 0-19 season is exactly the same as a second year coach coming off an underperforming season and a lackluster recruiting cycle.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Because a new coach coming off an 0-19 season is exactly the same as a second year coach coming off an underperforming season and a lackluster recruiting cycle.
Two lackluster recruiting cycles actually.

Reactions: Ski11585
I can't believe this board has stooped to this level of moronicity (new word I invented). Bringing up the past, and stupidly trying to state inaccuracies as facts, while at the same time trying to lay blame prematurely on a new head coach who hasn't coached one game yet. That's pathetic.

I can't believe this board has stooped to this level of moronicity (new word I invented). Bringing up the past, and stupidly trying to state inaccuracies as facts, while at the same time trying to lay blame prematurely on a new head coach who hasn't coached one game yet. That's pathetic.

I would NOT blame Capel, that is my point. I was wondering what other people thought because most people thought Dixon deserved 0 blame for 0-19 when clearly his last 3 recruiting classes had at least SOMETHING to do with it.

It won't happen but if it does it will be a better quality 0-19.

I just hope Capel doesn't know how to whistle?

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Recruiting cycle?

I would NOT blame Capel, that is my point. I was wondering what other people thought because most people thought Dixon deserved 0 blame for 0-19 when clearly his last 3 recruiting classes had at least SOMETHING to do with it.

Why do you keep bringing up Dixon? He's gone for a couple of years now! And Stallings was completely responsible for 0-19. Period. Put any other coach at Pitt last year and we would have won at least 1 ACC game and would not have gotten blown out by 20+ points a game. STALLINGS' players and STALLINGS' coaching made 0-19 happen. It's not just about losing. It's about how they lost.

So in your mind, whatever result we get this year will also be attributable to Dixon, at least partially???? This is typical reasoning for this generation. It's always someone else's fault. This year is on Capel 100%. This is HIS team and these are now HIS players. I'm sure that's the way he feels as well. This discussion is so useless and a waste of time.

+1
Why do you keep bringing up Dixon? He's gone for a couple of years now! And Stallings was completely responsible for 0-19. Period. Put any other coach at Pitt last year and we would have won at least 1 ACC game and would not have gotten blown out by 20+ points a game. STALLINGS' players and STALLINGS' coaching made 0-19 happen. It's not just about losing. It's about how they lost.
So in your mind, whatever result we get this year will also be attributable to Dixonat least partially? This is typical reasoning for this generation. It's always someone else's fault. This year is on Capel100%.This is HIS team and these are now HIS players. I'm sure that's the way he feels as well. This discussion is so useless and a waste of time.

I know name calling isn't allowed, but you are approaching idiot pretty quick. I suggest tapping the brakes.

It took a lot of things to go wrong to accomplish an 0-19 record .
1) KS first yr he inherited a team with no bench players and two incoming freshman who turned out to be total busts and a juco who was injured .
2) the player who he planned on building his entire offense around leaves to greener pastures .
3) his highest rated recruit and future pg wants out of his LOI late in the recruiting cycle
4) his only returning player of quality gets injured and misses the entire portion of conference schedule .
5) his incoming class is filled with a lot of reaches
6) five freshman started a lot of games
None of these things other than losing returning players exists now , growth in the returning players and the new additions will make Pitt a better team next season . How many wins next yr .....stay tuned the roster isn’t done yet so why speculate .

I can't believe we are ignoring the White Elephant in the room. With this new hire, does HCJC take any of the blame for Pitt Men's Basketball causing global warming? Think of the children people...
Since Barnes moved to the Left Coast, they've had wild fires and mudslides, and that doesn't even include the volcano and earthquakes in Hawaii.

Coincidence? I think not.......

Can we please move past this blame thing?

And as long as Coach Capel continues to bring hope with recruiting as he's done in his short time here, I'm sure almost each and every Pitt Hoops fan will be ok with a low win total.

Ya this thread was dumb for the start.

I highly doubt we go winless in ACC play but if we do...no...Capel will not be fired.

Peace o_O;):cool:

Reactions: HOF Coach
It took a lot of things to go wrong to accomplish an 0-19 record .
1) KS first yr he inherited a team with no bench players and two incoming freshman who turned out to be total busts and a juco who was injured .
2) the player who he planned on building his entire offense around leaves to greener pastures .
3) his highest rated recruit and future pg wants out of his LOI late in the recruiting cycle
4) his only returning player of quality gets injured and misses the entire portion of conference schedule .
5) his incoming class is filled with a lot of reaches
6) five freshman started a lot of games
None of these things other than losing returning players exists now , growth in the returning players and the new additions will make Pitt a better team next season . How many wins next yr .....stay tuned the roster isn’t done yet so why speculate .
FWIW - Thompson was not Stallings' highest rated recruit. He was his third highest depending how you rank JWF.

Speaking of saying stupid things.

Reactions: Jpripper88
FWIW - Thompson was not Stallings' highest rated recruit. He was his third highest depending how you rank JWF.
I thought Thompson was rated far higher than he was (170 ) , but I won’t give you JWF !

I thought Thompson was rated far higher than he was (170 ) , but I won’t give you JWF !
It's difficult at times to mediate how JUCOs rank against freshmen. It also seems to depend on JUCO classes year to year. And there's also the thought that the JUCO is often more ready to play right away that the freshman.

But JWF was a top 10 JUCO (more or less). As such, he was probably more ready to play in the first year than Thompson but Thompson will be the better player in the long run.

But clearly, Carr and JWF were the two guys most ready and capable to make the largest first year impact.

Just consider the source. :rolleyes:

It's difficult at times to mediate how JUCOs rank against freshmen. It also seems to depend on JUCO classes year to year. And there's also the thought that the JUCO is often more ready to play right away that the freshman.

But JWF was a top 10 JUCO (more or less). As such, he was probably more ready to play in the first year than Thompson but Thompson will be the better player in the long run.

But clearly, Carr and JWF were the two guys most ready and capable to make the largest first year impact.
Thompson got a lot of PT at Butler , I’m pretty sure he started .

SMF——with this post, I am now officially done ever reading your posts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT