ADVERTISEMENT

If we continue to play like we did today

I am not sure we do make the tourney, but for the first time since the Florida game I think this team is starting to understand how hard you have to play to win.

We worked hard today, it is not always going to be perfect. We had a bunch of deflections and good defensive plays where the ball still bounced to them. But if this was most of our last bunch of teams against Clemson, when we were down by 14, we would have lost by 20 plus.

Bub was better. He didn’t settle like he was doing. He penetrated much better, went to the rim better and had some nice passes. He is young, he is not going to be perfect, but this was his best game against a P5 team.

Fede was better too. He looked better on offense and he battled better on D. Hall still scored his points, but he got a few nice bounces and he is a tough cover for anyone.

Blake was really good.

Zack had his moments, but we need to see more. He plays good defense and rebounds well enough, but we still need more on O.

Ish rebounded well from a bad game. He is a really nice player and will continue to give 100%.

The bench was bad other than Will who did a few nice things on the defensive end.
I think we played well today. My only real complaint, and I fully expected they would let it happen, is that they let Girard free too often. I figured he would be a guy we would lock up as much as possible. We just have to be better against shooters. This is nothing new for us as we have a history of not closing out on shooters. Once they get hot and see it go in a few times, confidence skies and suddenly they can't miss.

Anyway, I was not discouraged by today. It was a better game.
I wish we had Kante for defense. He has a real body and could really help defend and rebound.
It is my belief that our best chance to improve into a tournament type team is get Lowe in at the point and play Bub at the 2. Hopefully when we get back to the non-con, Capel will give the two freshmen more of a run together.

Last edited:
Plz relax, your mind changes like the wind. Yeah fire a coach that has brought in a good recruiting class this year is looking good for the next one 2. Let it play out. H2P
Who cares if he brought in a good recruiting class when the man can't coach. He's sucked every season he's been at Pitt except for last season where Burton morphed into 1st team ACC and he hit lightening in the bottle with strong senior leader transfers.

I think Pitt will finish below .500 this season after watching them play in recent games. Capel was a 1 hit wonder. The team's big men have all regressed. Can't win many games with no inside game at all on offense and defense.

Pitt beat up on cupcakes(barely beat a now 2-7 FGCU team) and as soon as they played real P5 teams they were exposed. And continue to be exposed. This team is an ACC bottom tier team, they won't win more than 6 games in the conference. If that. Coaching sucks, no inside game whatsoever, our team is a couple of streaky jump shooters with an occasional drive to the hoop mixed in. Defense has been bad too.

Pitt will finish near the bottom of the ACC yet again and hopefully the Jeff Capel era will be mercifully over.
I try to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you, like many Pittsburgher’s don’t have a high basketball IQ.

It is either all or nothing with you and no in between. It really gets frustrating. 3 weeks ago, this team was all set for the Sweet 16 and now, they won’t win more than 6 in the conference and Capel will be fired.

I tried to tone you down 3 weeks ago and tell you we hadn’t played anyone yet and that it was a long season that would have ups and downs. But you don’t listen and can’t control yourself.

We probably win at least 8 and maybe as many as 11 or 12. And even if we did only win 6 conference games, Capel has already bought himself another year.

I’m not sure we can make the NCAA tourney, but I’m not throwing in the towel yet.

I try to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you, like many Pittsburgher’s don’t have a high basketball IQ.

It is either all or nothing with you and no in between. It really gets frustrating. 3 weeks ago, this team was all set for the Sweet 16 and now, they won’t win more than 6 in the conference and Capel will be fired.

I tried to tone you down 3 weeks ago and tell you we hadn’t played anyone yet and that it was a long season that would have ups and downs. But you don’t listen and can’t control yourself.

We probably win at least 8 and maybe as many as 11 or 12. And even if we did only win 6 conference games, Capel has already bought himself another year.

I’m not sure we can make the NCAA tourney, but I’m not throwing in the towel yet.
they won't even make the NIT. And I was high on them because they looked good against cupcakes, Against real teams they have been exposed. If Fede and the twins don't up their game considerably soon, Pitt will be near the bottom of the ACC.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Who cares if he brought in a good recruiting class when the man can't coach. He's sucked every season he's been at Pitt except for last season where Burton morphed into 1st team ACC and he hit lightening in the bottle with strong senior leader transfers.

I think Pitt will finish below .500 this season after watching them play in recent games. Capel was a 1 hit wonder. The team's big men have all regressed. Can't win many games with no inside game at all on offense and defense.
I don't see why you think they finish below .500. At least not overall.

Conference play is a different story. Pitt, like most of the conference is trying to figure some things out and gain their identity before the conference grind starts in January. Let things play out.

they won't even make the NIT. And I was high on them because they looked good against cupcakes, Against real teams they have been exposed. If Fede and the twins don't up their game considerably soon, Pitt will be near the bottom of the ACC.
Well what you have seen with Fede and the twins is what you will get. They aren’t going to get any better. I actually agree with what you have said about Capel but I wonder if Pitt will give him another year because of what happened with Dior Johnson.

All u do is feed the trolls on here and play to the audience. Act is old but you'll get likes from the anti Capel crowd. We all know who they are but continue. I will not root against a Pitt coach to fail which some of u do and its really sad. H2P

Last edited:
Reactions: bschulter
All u do is feed the trolls on here and play to the audience. Act is old but you'll get likes from the anti Capel crowd. We all know who they are but continue. I will not root against a Pitt coach to fail which some of u do and its really sad. H2P
Truthfully most coaches would be long gone with the record Capel has. It isn’t a matter of rooting against him but he just isn’t getting the job done

Truthfully most coaches would be long gone with the record Capel has. It isn’t a matter of rooting against him but he just isn’t getting the job done
From what JC inherited and covid happening which restricted him and staff to virtual recruit during that time there has been alot of bad luck for him. Also with Dior not being able to play this year as well. But let's continue to rant and the season is over. Smh typical responses for some of u. H2P

All u do is feed the trolls on here and play to the audience. Act is old but you'll get likes from the anti Capel crowd. We all know who they are but continue. I will not root against a Pitt coach to fail which some of u do and it’s really sad. H2P
I, for one, am not rooting for him to fail. I do see a mismanaged average to below average roster that shouldn’t happen 5/6 years and certainly not off an NCAA tournament roster. I hope they can get it together and some of the lesser pieces either develop or start to shine, but when Fede, the twins, Jeffress give you absolutely nothing for 2 + years, it’s hard to be excited about this year’s team. They have 1 great scorer, 1 really good guard and then 2 guys who are nice 3rd and 4th options then nothing. Hopefully we beat WVU Wednesday because they are a bottom 10 P5 team

I, for one, am not rooting for him to fail. I do see a mismanaged average to below average roster that shouldn’t happen 5/6 years and certainly not off an NCAA tournament roster. I hope they can get it together and some of the lesser pieces either develop or start to shine, but when Fede, the twins, Jeffress give you absolutely nothing for 2 + years, it’s hard to be excited about this year’s team. They have 1 great scorer, 1 really good guard and then 2 guys who are nice 3rd and 4th options then nothing. Hopefully we beat WVU Wednesday because they are a bottom 10 P5 team
Willing to take a lie detector test?? Lol 😅 H2P!!!

Willing to take a lie detector test?? Lol 😅 H2P!!!
Sure!

I can objectively root for the Steelers while believing Mike Tomlin has run his course. I’m still rooting for him to be successful because I want the Steelers to be successful I just don’t see it.

I think Capel can bounce back next year and hope I’m wrong about this year, I just don’t think roster can score enough to play the way coach Capel’s system plays.

Reactions: pittbb80
Sure!

I can objectively root for the Steelers while believing Mike Tomlin has run his course. I’m still rooting for him to be successful because I want the Steelers to be successful I just don’t see it.

I think Capel can bounce back next year and hope I’m wrong about this year, I just don’t think roster can score enough to play the way coach Capel’s system plays.
I'm not saying this team doesn't have question marks but hopefully this can turn around. It's a long season, I even said to people don't expect the same success as last year. When I found out Dior couldn't play and Kante got injured even further cemented my prediction.
You better be positive Bball or you'll be wearing cement boots lmao 🤣 😂 H2P!!!!

Sure!

Not writing off this season by any means, but I do think there’s some solid optimism to be had for next year. A whole offseason with Kante ideally not getting injured, and basically a 1:1 swap with Cummings instead of ****ing around with the Title IX waiting game for Dior…

You’re basically hinging on two factors: retaining Bub, and figuring out how to fill the hole that Blake’s going to leave. I think there’s a lot of potential in bumping Austin down to Blake’s role, letting him play a more traditional modern 4 - Austin can still shoot well for that position even if you’d like a little more length in that spot - and then hitting the market hard for a smaller wing who can really shoot it at the 3. I think there’s a lot to like about a four man rotation of Bub, Lowe, Leggett and Cummings at the 1 and 2, but they’ve gotta get more of a perimeter threat at the 3, and a three guard lineup feels like the ticket for this system.

Not writing off this season by any means, but I do think there’s some solid optimism to be had for next year. A whole offseason with Kante ideally not getting injured, and basically a 1:1 swap with Cummings instead of ****ing around with the Title IX waiting game for Dior…

You’re basically hinging on two factors: retaining Bub, and figuring out how to fill the hole that Blake’s going to leave. I think there’s a lot of potential in bumping Austin down to Blake’s role, letting him play a more traditional modern 4 - Austin can still shoot well for that position even if you’d like a little more length in that spot - and then hitting the market hard for a smaller wing who can really shoot it at the 3. I think there’s a lot to like about a four man rotation of Bub, Lowe, Leggett and Cummings at the 1 and 2, but they’ve gotta get more of a perimeter threat at the 3, and a three guard lineup feels like the ticket for this system.
I wasn’t implying that Pitt move on from Capel. There is some optimism for sure on next year’s team assuming you retain Bub. But the front court needs totally revamped. If you’re losing a top 3 ACC player in Blake, now is the time to go recruit over Fede and the twins. You have to get more out of the front court and get a shooter as you stated.

I wasn’t implying that Pitt move on from Capel. There is some optimism for sure on next year’s team assuming you retain Bub. But the front court needs totally revamped. If you’re losing a top 3 ACC player in Blake, now is the time to go recruit over Fede and the twins. You have to get more out of the front court and get a shooter as you stated.
It feels like they finally got the good fortune of having that guy fall into their lap in Kante. Feels like he profiles as a higher upside version of Fede. Then, in classic fashion, he rips his ACL.

Not sure if you’ve posted this elsewhere - what do you think of Amdy? Older kid, feels like he can hit an open shot and at least be a guy at the 4 that you can’t totally ignore on the perimeter. But maybe not as more than a depth piece in 2024. Feels like you can see the vision for the frontcourt, though, and it’s a 4 who plays like Gueye and a 5 who plays like Fede (but not the Fede we’ve seen lately). Blake obviously doesn’t fit that profile, but they got some good fortune to hit on him, so it feels like they’re shifting stuff around to best play with his unique skillset.

Just need more shotmaking at 1-3, especially from the rotation guys. It’s hard to bag on the kid because he’s still early in his career, but it just isn’t viable to get zero shooting from Lowe at that position. Just feels like the ball moves so slowly with him running things, though hopefully that’s just freshman problems.

It feels like they finally got the good fortune of having that guy fall into their lap in Kante. Feels like he profiles as a higher upside version of Fede. Then, in classic fashion, he rips his ACL.

Not sure if you’ve posted this elsewhere - what do you think of Amdy? Older kid, feels like he can hit an open shot and at least be a guy at the 4 that you can’t totally ignore on the perimeter. But maybe not as more than a depth piece in 2024. Feels like you can see the vision for the frontcourt, though, and it’s a 4 who plays like Gueye and a 5 who plays like Fede (but not the Fede we’ve seen lately). Blake obviously doesn’t fit that profile, but they got some good fortune to hit on him, so it feels like they’re shifting stuff around to best play with his unique skillset.

Just need more shotmaking at 1-3, especially from the rotation guys. It’s hard to bag on the kid because he’s still early in his career, but it just isn’t viable to get zero shooting from Lowe at that position. Just feels like the ball moves so slowly with him running things, though hopefully that’s just freshman problems.
I have never seen amdy play. They definitely need more shot makers all over the floor. Even this year it’s gonna be tough for Blake to keep his current pace. The thing that made last year so good, and Center scoring virtually inconsequential, was all of the versatility they had of who could score. Having nothing off the bench and 2 of your starters essentially be zero’s is going to kill us in the meat of the schedule.

I have never seen amdy play. They definitely need more shot makers all over the floor. Even this year it’s gonna be tough for Blake to keep his current pace. The thing that made last year so good, and Center scoring virtually inconsequential, was all of the versatility they had of who could score. Having nothing off the bench and 2 of your starters essentially be zero’s is going to kill us in the meat of the schedule.

Last year, we could almost always count on scoring from the 1-4 spots with Nike in the mix. The hole this year is really at Zach's spot (whether you want to call this the 3 or 4) with his inconsistency.

Either Zach and /or Jaland is going to be a more consistent scorer. I really don't see anyone else on the roster who can. Either that, or we slow the games down to a grind, but that kind of game doesn't suit the roster at all. And we've been a decent defensive team and can get a little better, but I don't see us being a very good one. We will need to win games by scoring about 75 per game.

Last year, we could almost always count on scoring from the 1-4 spots with Nike in the mix. The hole this year is really at Zach's spot (whether you want to call this the 3 or 4) with his inconsistency.

Either Zach and /or Jaland is going to be a more consistent scorer. I really don't see anyone else on the roster who can. Either that, or we slow the games down to a grind, but that kind of game doesn't suit the roster at all. And we've been a decent defensive team and can get a little better, but I don't see us being a very good one. We will need to win games by scoring about 75 per game.
It really does feel like the whole enterprise is built around Austin giving you more on the perimeter. That’s the dynamic that allows everything else to flow. They clearly thought he could be that when they brought him in. And while he’s doing a bunch of things well, he isn’t giving you perimeter shooting, which is the one thing that he really needed to give you.

I do not know if Austin is getting enough shots.

I have seen him open and not getting the ball.

The last two games he finally played 30 minutes plus. He is not turning the ball over and providing blocks and steals.

He needs 8 shots a game, not 4

Reactions: TheChair

His "sin" this year was taking back Dior. Perhaps he wouldn't have started over Bub or Leggett or Austin, I dont know but he was going to play a big part. He counted on him. We can blame the admin, the chancellor, etc, but it was a risk Capel took and it didnt work out. He lost a starter (potentially) 2 seconds before the season and had no time to replace him

Regardless of this debate about Fede, I think he was better than GDG, and the best we have at the five. Although in certain situations, I could see going small with Zack and Blake at the 5-4. But today wasn’t one of those times in my opinion.

Neither one of them are playing well enough right now. We have to at least get decent or better rebounding out of the five spot, and right now that's just not happening.

I don't care which of them picks up their play, but at least one of them needs to. And preferably both.

His "sin" this year was taking back Dior. Perhaps he wouldn't have started over Bub or Leggett or Austin, I dont know but he was going to play a big part. He counted on him. We can blame the admin, the chancellor, etc, but it was a risk Capel took and it didnt work out. He lost a starter (potentially) 2 seconds before the season and had no time to replace him
Because Dior's history suggested he can be counted on?

Anyone counting on a guy like Dior Johnson is idiot. I think it's safe to assume Capel recruited as if there was a pretty good chance Dior wouldn't be there, for whatever reason.

Carrington has showed he's capable of playing the point, but I'd like to see him take on more of a Brad Wannamaker point-forward type role. Bring in another guard next year so we have Jaland/Leggett/Cummings/New Player at the #1/#2. I think freeing Bub up will help his game. Being the primary ball handler, we see how teams are making things very tough on him.
From what JC inherited and covid happening which restricted him and staff to virtual recruit during that time there has been alot of bad luck for him. Also with Dior not being able to play this year as well. But let's continue to rant and the season is over. Smh typical responses for some of u. H2P
Some bad luck, for sure. But Capel still doesn't seem to be much of an x's and o's guy. Not great at in-game adjustments. Always seems like we just roll the ball out there. Having a lot of experienced guys last year, I think made up for some of JC's shortcomings. But now when we really need to see some coaching, it's nowhere to be found. Unlike JD when the team always seemed to get the most out of the talent (sum greater than the individual parts), with JC it seems more like just parts. No system in place to get the most out of guys. So, when things aren't going our way, we resort to a lot of one-on-one play and forcing bad shots.

Reactions: Pitt8189
Carrington is going to be better but we have considerable center problems.

Some footage of how teams are defending Bub

I actually absolutely LOVE that they arent calling flops charges anymore. Seems like most everything is being called a block and that's been amazing. Too bad it took years of my message board posts for them to listen.

Has anyone else noticed that refs are allowing more physical play though? I always felt refs had too quick of a whistle and it seems like this year, they arent calling as much.

But all coaches had to deal with COVID and that didn’t save their jobs if their teams weren’t performing on the court.

Capel is the only one who has survived, to my knowledge, with his teams consistently having subpar results

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
But all coaches had to deal with COVID and that didn’t save their jobs if their teams weren’t performing on the court.

Capel is the only one who has survived, to my knowledge, with his teams consistently having subpar results

I was one of the few who said he deserved another year but to be honest, he was only brought back due to the buyout. Now, it worked out. We made the Round of 32 and he needs to continue to maintain this Dixon 2 level. This may be a Dixon 2 NIT year but next year he has to get back to the Dance.

I was one of the few who said he deserved another year but to be honest, he was only brought back due to the buyout. Now, it worked out. We made the Round of 32 and he needs to continue to maintain this Dixon 2 level. This may be a Dixon 2 NIT year but next year he has to get back to the Dance.
Protes basically posted what my opinion is of Capel. Not good with Xs and Os and throughout his time at Pitt I was left wondering what they do in practice with regards to offense.

Too often it comes down to one player dribbling around then taking a contested shot. The only way that consistently works is if you have superior talent to your opponents and Pitt doesn’t

Protes basically posted what my opinion is of Capel. Not good with Xs and Os and throughout his time at Pitt I was left wondering what they do in practice with regards to offense.

Too often it comes down to one player dribbling around then taking a contested shot. The only way that consistently works is if you have superior talent to your opponents and Pitt doesn’t
We beat Missouri with equal coaching

Reactions: Pitt8189
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT