ADVERTISEMENT

I'm glad we're in the First Four

There have been actual play-in games in the past. In 1991, the there were three play-in games before the tournament field was announced and matched champions of six conferences which had the lowest computer ratings from the previous season. They were played on the home floors of the teams; not neutral courts. These were not opening round games and the losers were not credited with an NCAA tournament appearance.

This is not what the First Four are; they are not "play-in games." The first opening round game was in 2001. Three more games were added in 2011 to get to the First Four. They are considered opening round or first round games; what they are called in the official bracket depends on the year. Every team appearing in them is credited with an NCAA appearance. There is no debate or opinion on this; only what is fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
There have been actual play-in games in the past. In 1991, the there were three play-in games before the tournament field was announced and matched champions of six conferences which had the lowest computer ratings from the previous season. These were not opening round games and the losers were not credited with an NCAA tournament appearance.

This is not what the First Four are; they are not "play-in games." The first opening round game was in 2001. Three more games were added in 2011 to get to the First Four. They are considered opening round or first round games; what they are called in the official bracket depends on the year. Every team appearing in them is credited with an NCAA appearance. There is no debate or opinion on this; only what is fact.

Thanks for the explanation, Paco. No one else was able to give this kind of explanation. The only confusion I have is that the first round games are happening beginning Thursday, according to everything I've seen and in all descriptions. Am I wrong on that? I guess calling them an opening round is more appropriate.

Thanks for the explanation, Paco. No one else was able to give this kind of explanation. The only confusion I have is that the first round games are happening beginning Thursday, according to everything I've seen and in all descriptions. Am I wrong on that? I guess calling them an opening round is more appropriate.

From 2001 to 2010, there was only one game and it was called the "Opening Round." These games have always been listed on the official NCAA bracket and from 2001 to present they've only ever been played on a neutral floor in Dayton. The round of 64 games during this period were still referred to as the "First Round" on official brackets.

In 2011, the NCAA added the 3 games to get to the "First Four," which the NCAA registered as a trademark just like the "Final Four" trademark used for the National Semifinals.

From 2011 to 2015, the round of 64 games on Thursday and Friday were actually called the "Second Round." The Tuesday and Wednesday games were referred to as the "First Round" and the round of 32 was called the "Third Round." The "First Four" was also used like the Final Four is used, as a slogan referring to the First Round.

From 2016 to present, the round of 64 games on Thursday and Friday were reverted to be called the "First Round." They probably changed this because of the confusion of calling the round of 64 the "Second Round" and the round of 32 as the "Third Round." The Tuesday and Wednesday games from 2016 to present are now just referred to by the registered trademark "First Four." They are, in essence, the opening round and on the official NCAA bracket it just says "First Four."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT