ADVERTISEMENT

I'm glad we're in the First Four

AllegeneeGenacGenac

Scholarship
Feb 23, 2023
I'm not sure what people are thinking when they say it doesn't count as making the tournament if Pitt doesn't win tonight. Did you not hear their name called on Sunday night?

We're playing a winnable game tonight against a solid opponent, and I'm looking forward to watching! You should be too. More meaningful Pitt basketball games are good for fans.

They said the winner of the Pitt-Miss.St. game gets into the field of 64. It's another game to qualify for the NCAAT. These play-in games aren't officially tournament games until there's a winner, who then makes the tournament. But it sure beats what we've had here for the past 6 years, win or lose.

They said the winner of the Pitt-Miss.St. game gets into the field of 64. It's another game to qualify for the NCAAT. These play-in games aren't officially tournament games until there's a winner, who then makes the tournament. But it sure beats what we've had here for the past 6 years, win or lose.
This is not correct. These are absolutely "officially" NCAA tournament games. These games are part of the NCAA tournament.

This is not correct. These are absolutely "officially" NCAA tournament games. These games are part of the NCAA tournament.
Obviously yeah, but it sort of feels like those Pirates teams from 2013-15. All 3 years we made the Wild Card game, and while that "officially" counted as qualifying for the postseason, it didn't feel like we were truly "in" unless/until we won that game.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Everything in this post is false.

Pitt has already earned a 1-game tournament share. If they win tonight, they'll have two.

My bet with Vegas on "Pitt to make NCAA Tournament" paid off the other night. The money has already been credited to my account. Therefore, Pitt is in the NCAA Tournament.

Your post is the equivalent of saying the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't make the 2021 playoffs because they lost in the wildcard round to the Chiefs. Or that the Pirates didn't make the 2014 playoffs because they lost the wildcard game to the Giants.

It's also accurate to say we need to win the game to get into the field of 64, just as it's accurate to say we would need to win on Friday to get into the field of 32. But we are absolutely in the tournament.

Obviously yeah, but it sort of feels like those Pirates teams from 2013-15. All 3 years we made the Wild Card game, and while that "officially" counted as qualifying for the postseason, it didn't feel like we were truly "in" unless/until we won that game.
The Pirates won the game in 2013. Then lost 4 games to 2 to the Cardinals.

Reactions: Black Panther

That's a different point and an understandable one for sure. To many, it may not "feel" as if we are in the tournament unless we get to the field of 64. But we are nevertheless still "officially" in the tournament.

Pitt has already earned a 1-game tournament share. If they win tonight, they'll have two.

My bet with Vegas on "Pitt to make NCAA Tournament" paid off the other night. The money has already been credited to my account. Therefore, Pitt is in the NCAA Tournament.

Your post is the equivalent of saying the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't make the 2021 playoffs because they lost in the wildcard round to the Chiefs. Or that the Pirates didn't make the 2014 playoffs because they lost the wildcard game to the Giants.
I’d say it all just seems like wasted time/effort to debate over. If some want to view making a playin game as making the tourney, that’s fine. If some want to view it as not making the tourney until you’re in the field of 64, nothing wrong with that either.

Is there really a right or wrong answer and if so, who cares?

I’d say it all just seems like wasted time/effort to debate over. If some want to view making a playin game as making the tourney, that’s fine. If some want to view it as not making the tourney until you’re in the field of 64, nothing wrong with that either.

Yes, there is a right answer. Objectively.

The NCAA says we're in the tournament. It isn't something that is a matter of opinion.

The NCAA calls it a 68-team tournament. 60 teams get byes, and 8 don't.

Yes, there is a right answer. Objectively.

The NCAA says we're in the tournament. It isn't something that is a matter of opinion.

The NCAA calls it a 68-team tournament. 60 teams get byes, and 8 don't.
Whatever you say 89, I knew you’d come back with that reply. I still say, who cares, I’m more interested in the actual game tonight.

You can argue that the 2014 and 2015 wild card games did not have quite the same feel, but if you think that the 2013 wild card game didn't feel like a postseason game, then you don't have a pulse.

I get chills just thinking about that one.

If we win, we line up as basically a 6 seed. Iowa State looks like an 11 seed resume anyway.

Back on track for what many thought was possible 3 weeks ago.

Reactions: USN_Panther
There is nothing like the first two days of the NCCA Tournament on that Thursday and Friday especially if you have a game during the daytime on either of those days. That’s what I am looking forward to the most if they can win tonight is getting an opportunity to watch Pitt in the tournament on Friday afternoon after 3 o clock. It’s been such a long time since that has happened and I am looking forward to that more then anything on Friday if they can find a way to get by Miss St tonight which I believe they will.

The First Four is awesome if you win because it feels like an NCAAT win and you are at an advantage playing the 6 seed. I believe a First Four winner has advanced to the R32 every year but 1.

Now, if you lose, it will have the feel of not making the NCAAT even though we officially did

I'm with you, NCanton. People making a big deal out of nothing and wasting a lot of time. I can't even fill out my brackets completely until we know who the play-in qualifiers are. That's part of why I said we're not in the tournament yet. It's somewhat like we extended the conference tournament by one game, even though it's against a non-conference opponent. That's how it feels to me since the tournament starts on Thursday. I'd like an explanation as to why they even started this play-in stuff. Just pick your 64 teams and that's it. Besides, it's just a game!!

But that's just me. Please don't crucify me. Sorry if I don't agree with some on here.

There is nothing like the first two days of the NCCA Tournament on that Thursday and Friday especially if you have a game during the daytime on either of those days. That’s what I am looking forward to the most if they can win tonight is getting an opportunity to watch Pitt in the tournament on Friday afternoon after 3 o clock. It’s been such a long time since that has happened and I am looking forward to that more then anything on Friday if they can find a way to get by Miss St tonight which I believe they will.

Yep, that's what I want to see....those first Thursday and Friday games. There's always at least a few very good and entertaining games on those 2 days. I hope Pitt can make it there.

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over nothing. You're comparing apples (football) to oranges (basketball). And betting lines and bookies don't determine who is in the tournament. Bookies will take your money over anything, and they do. But who cares?

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over nothing. You're comparing apples (football) to oranges (basketball). And betting lines and bookies don't determine who is in the tournament. Bookies will take your money over anything, and they do. But who cares?
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but:

If you don't care, why are you saying negative things about our basketball team that are objectively, unarguably incorrect and then digging your heels in about them when you're told you're wrong?

Reactions: PANTHERAN
The First Four is awesome if you win because it feels like an NCAAT win and you are at an advantage playing the 6 seed. I believe a First Four winner has advanced to the R32 every year but 1.

Now, if you lose, it will have the feel of not making the NCAAT even though we officially did

It will sting real bad for about 48 hours…less so once other teams start dropping

I'm with you, NCanton. People making a big deal out of nothing and wasting a lot of time. I can't even fill out my brackets completely until we know who the play-in qualifiers are. That's part of why I said we're not in the tournament yet. It's somewhat like we extended the conference tournament by one game, even though it's against a non-conference opponent. That's how it feels to me since the tournament starts on Thursday. I'd like an explanation as to why they even started this play-in stuff. Just pick your 64 teams and that's it. Besides, it's just a game!!

But that's just me. Please don't crucify me. Sorry if I don't agree with some on here.

There are 7 rounds. 60 teams get a 1st Round Bye. This isnt hard. If you want to say it doesn't feel like the NCAA Tournament, that's fine. But its the NCAA Tournament opening round games.

I don't necessarily disagree with this.
I don't entirely disagree either, but I don't think I'll feel differently after a loss today than I would if we lost on Friday without a win today.

A win today will definitely make me feel better about a loss this Friday, but not as good as a win on Friday would be!

It definitely counts as being in the tournament, but most would agree that it’s a downer we lost out on a ‘bye’ seed with the poor performances of the last two weeks and staggered in this way. That let a lot of the air out.

You're right. The NCAA determines who is in the tournament. According to the NCAA, Pitt is in the NCAA Tournament. This isn't a matter of opinion. OBJECTIVELY, according to the people who hold the tournament - the NCAA - Pitt is in the NCAA Tournament.

And yes... if Pitt were NOT in the NCAA Tournament, then Vegas would not have paid off my bet yet - they'd wait until after tonight's result. The bet is "Pitt to make NCAA Tournament" - as determined by the NCAA Selection Committee.

Pitt already gets 1 tournament share from the NCAA. Same as the other 67 teams. If Pitt wins tonight, they'll get a 2nd tournament share.

The NCAA Tournament has 68 teams... 60 with a bye, and 8 without.

What you're saying is the equivalent of saying last Tuesday's games in Greensboro were not part of the ACC Tournament. The GT/FSU game to decide who got to play Pitt was part of the ACC Tournament. Just as the Pitt/MSU game tonight to decide who gets to play ISU is part of the NCAA tournament.

You're objectively wrong - it isn't a matter of opinion. Anymore than someone who says that unless you make the Sweet 16, you're not in the tournament. That "opinion" would be equally wrong.

There are 7 rounds. 60 teams get a 1st Round Bye. This isnt hard. If you want to say it doesn't feel like the NCAA Tournament, that's fine. But its the NCAA Tournament opening round games.
I don’t know, out here in Vegas the build up is all for the official start of the tournament 9:15am on Thursday 😳

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
I don’t know, out here in Vegas the build up is all for the official start of the tournament 9:15am on Thursday 😳
And yet.... That same Vegas paid off my bet of "Pitt to make the NCAA Tournament" on Sunday night. If they weren't in the tournament, I'd still be waiting to cash out until after the result of tonight's game.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but:

If you don't care, why are you saying negative things about our basketball team that are objectively, unarguably incorrect and then digging your heels in about them when you're told you're wrong?

I didn't say anything negative about the team. This is just the feel I have for these play-in games and always have. They're not even in round 1 yet. That happens if we beat MSU tonight and get to play Iowa State on Friday. So you are free to believe what you believe, as I am. I can see the points about actually and officially being in the field of tournament teams and understand the reasoning. I just don't share that perspective.

You're right. The NCAA determines who is in the tournament. According to the NCAA, Pitt is in the NCAA Tournament. This isn't a matter of opinion. OBJECTIVELY, according to the people who hold the tournament - the NCAA - Pitt is in the NCAA Tournament.

And yes... if Pitt were NOT in the NCAA Tournament, then Vegas would not have paid off my bet yet - they'd wait until after tonight's result. The bet is "Pitt to make NCAA Tournament" - as determined by the NCAA Selection Committee.

Pitt already gets 1 tournament share from the NCAA. Same as the other 67 teams. If Pitt wins tonight, they'll get a 2nd tournament share.

What you're saying is the equivalent of saying last Tuesday's games in Greensboro were not part of the ACC Tournament. The GT/FSU game to decide who got to play Pitt was part of the ACC Tournament. Just as the Pitt/MSU game tonight to decide who gets to play ISU is part of the NCAA tournament.

You're objectively wrong - it isn't a matter of opinion. Anymore than someone who says that unless you make the Sweet 16, you're not in the tournament. That "opinion" would be equally wrong.
A lengthy post and using CAPS for emphasis, you’re taking this meaningless debate way too serious.

And yet.... That same Vegas paid off my bet of "Pitt to make the NCAA Tournament" on Sunday night. If they weren't in the tournament, I'd still be waiting to cash out until after the result of tonight's game.

All I know is that my basketball poll doesn't have to be in until 11:59AM on THURSDAY, prior to the start of the tournament. I still need to know how these play-in games play out.

No wonder I'm tired of this nonsense before the tournament even starts. It's just a game! Relax!!

I'm not sure what people are thinking when they say it doesn't count as making the tournament if Pitt doesn't win tonight. Did you not hear their name called on Sunday night?

We're playing a winnable game tonight against a solid opponent, and I'm looking forward to watching! You should be too. More meaningful Pitt basketball games are good for fans.
Only as an alternative to not being in at all.

i just filled out an online bracket on CBS sports and they dont even ask you to pick the winners for the play in games. it's just the 64 teams and it's Miss St/Pittsburgh. so you just pick one of those two teams in the first rd and if you have one of those two winning against iowa state, it's the same "Miss St/Pittsburgh" against Xavier and so on.

I mean, come on. Can we at least get our own line if we win?

i just filled out an online bracket on CBS sports and they dont even ask you to pick the winners for the play in games. it's just the 64 teams and it's Miss St/Pittsburgh. so you just pick one of those two teams in the first rd and if you have one of those two winning against iowa state, it's the same "Miss St/Pittsburgh" against Xavier and so on.

The brackets update with the winning play-in teams. Been that way for about a decade on CBS.

Pretty sure that updates for the winner

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
You can argue that the 2014 and 2015 wild card games did not have quite the same feel, but if you think that the 2013 wild card game didn't feel like a postseason game, then you don't have a pulse.

I get chills just thinking about that one.
Easily the most electric sporting atmosphere I’ve ever been to

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT