ADVERTISEMENT

I'M SORRY BUT MAYBE IT REALLY IS TIME FOR JAMIE TO GO!!

And perhaps you can't read or like spreading false narratives, because I said firing Dixon would be an overreaction. Pot meet kettle.

It seems like more and more Pitt fans have had it with JD, a new coach no matter who it is can't do any worse, I know this year is only half over but this is getting to be old stuff, the last 5 years have been mediocre at best, is that good enough for some of the Dixon faithful. Wonder what AD Barnes is thinking about the basketball program at this point, we might be 15 - 3 but look who we beat and when we played ranked teams we got stomped, and stomped at home by a team that was 0 - 5 in the ACC. How much more of this mediocrity do you guys want to watch
Agree 100%

You're speaking in generalities as a way to cover for Dixon. You say he is ultimately accountable, but with every other post you blame our bad defense, someone who had a bad game, turnovers, or the general make-up of the team. You don't specifically say what is wrong with Dixon (coaching, recruiting, substitution patterns) because you don't want to harp on any one thing or single Jamie out. Saying he is ultimately accountable is an absolute cop-out. That's like Mike Tomlin saying the Steelers need to own their performance.....as if there is a choice.
His defensive coaching has been bad for years.

And , I've been crystal clear and specific on that topic.
I hate contesting shots, i hate sagging off a shooter to help another. man.
And I hate that we don't pressure the perimeter and generate turnovers.

And all during that time I've repeatedly stated our offensive gameplan is good and hasn't been our problem.

And perhaps you can't read or like spreading false narratives, because I said firing Dixon would be an overreaction. Pot meet kettle.

I don't think Dixon has any reason to fear losing his job. No way Pitt is willing to eat over 6 years of his contract.

Reactions: rc79
I don't think Dixon has any reason to fear losing his job. No way Pitt is willing to eat over 6 years of his contract.
That's the problem. If there is a silver lining and worst case is that Pitt collapses again, I think our new AD Barnes has a quicker trigger finger and won't let this keep going on.

Ok. I'll ask again. Fire Dixon? Then who do you guys suggest. Please at least spare me Sean Miller (as I said earlier not happening).
And I'll be honest and tell you I don't know. I'm sure there are a few enticing choices out there though. Someone young and fresh and innovative.

Great Point... He doesn't have to try as hard b/c he's got all that garenteed $$$ if they would chose to fire him.

Then someone else would hire him & he'd be making two salaries doing one job.

We can all agree Pitt locked him up too long a while ago & it was not a good idea at all.

Ok. I'll ask again. Fire Dixon? Then who do you guys suggest. Please at least spare me Sean Miller (as I said earlier not happening).
Jamie has been loyal here, stick with him but he has to make changes with his assistant coaches. I'm sure Barnes will address this. Your only as good as your assistants that surround you.

Reactions: freddietee511
That's the problem. If their is a silver lining and worst case is that Pitt collapses again, I think our new AD Barnes has a quicker trigger finger and won't let this keep going on.

Pitt took a risk on locking up Dixon at a discount for a long contract by offering him less than market compensation for security.

Let me channel Souf here: Where is Barnes going to get the money?

We have limited resources and given we might have to up the ante for Narduzzi in the near future, Dixon is not going anywhere.

Great Point... He doesn't have to try as hard b/c he's got all that garenteed $$$ if they would chose to fire him.

We can all agree Pitt locked him up too long a while ago & it was not a good idea at all.
Depends on how you calculate it.
I'll give you a hint... Any hire is likely more costly.
Football turnover should demonstrate that the market price continues to escalate.

We have a long history which indicates any other coach can do much worse.
Since Billy Knight's '74 team, '94-'98 Evans/Willard was much worse. Chipman was good, Howland was great and Dixon was great/good. There was a seven or eight year span that was horrible. Don't live in your fears.

We have an AD and chancellor that know what they're doing. I have faith in them.

Huggins went 14-18 two years ago and cc only scored 39 in their last tourney game. PITT fans would of had a major meltdown on here if that happened. Kansas lost by 19 tonight. Lots of hoops left to be played. Yeah we should can Dixon since he has some good recruits coming in and red shirting a huge center in Nix. Sorry but Calipari and Miller aren't coming here.
Funny thing is that they were here.

Reactions: PittPoker
Since Billy Knight's '74 team, '94-'98 Evans/Willard was much worse. Chipman was good, Howland was great and Dixon was great/good. There was a seven or eight year span that was horrible. Don't live in your fears.

We have an AD and chancellor that know what they're doing. I have faith in them.
Not a matter of fear...
I simply don't see other coaches on the horizon which would be attracted to Pitt after pushing out a well respected Dixon.

And I'll be honest and tell you I don't know. I'm sure there are a few enticing choices out there though. Someone young and fresh and innovative.

Fair enough. I don't think this job is as good as some think. A few years ago some guys were suggesting Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart which was absolutely laughable. And I mean laughable they'd have even entertained the idea of coming here.

I think the idea that Dixon is not trying because of his contract is bunk.
Dixon is far too professional and has to much pride to just rest.
If anything, I think Dixon's security has given him the opportunity to take some risk by changing his style of play and recruiting. Pitt has always been an efficient offensive team, but Pitt clearly has changed their recruiting style to build upon this.

I think the idea that Dixon is not trying because of his contract is bunk.
Dixon is far too professional and has to much pride to just rest.
If anything, I think Dixon's security has given him the opportunity to take some risk by changing his style of play and recruiting. Pitt has always been an efficient offensive team, but Pitt clearly has changed their recruiting style to build upon this.
Agree with your assessment.

First of all whose coming here that will attract major talent. NO ONE ,! Whose gong to pay them if they could attract someone? NO ONE ! The administration is not into the win at all costs philosophy of athletics they want to run a program that has integrity so forget about attaining elite talent . So get over it there is no big name savior coming here. Pitt has had some periods of success, but have never been an elite program ,stop holding them to a standard that they have never really been. Pitt has about as good a coach as their ever going to get ,it appears that the next years recruiting class is addressing some of this teams weaknesses,quickness and strength . As long as Young and Artis stay which they should Pitt will be better next year but they still won't be a Duke who lost to Syracuse which Pitt beat. Maybe when Duke fires coach K because he can't beat Syracuse he'll come to Pitt .yea that's the ticket !

Reactions: KiwiJeff
Classic overreaction.

Dixon will be coaching here for as long as he desires.

And Pitt will be in the NCAA tournament this year. Somewhere between a 6 and an 11 seed.

I bit my tongue and didn't post the whole 1st half. This performance is disgraceful in every sense of the word.

1 game like this "could" be considered a mirage - 2 in the last 3 games is a trend.

Recruiting has been below par for a few years now with honestly nothing on the horizon that is going to WOW us.

Every year we beat up on these really bad teams with the hope of getting wins and in Jamie's mind, strengthening us for the committee in March. How does this help us at all?? The OOC schedule is a joke and the 2 top 20 teams we did play we were blown out, lost by double digits.

Team has no mental toughness, can't rebound, no inside game, no guard play, JRob has been atrocious and it all starts with him.

Look Jamie has done a lot for Pitt and we can all give him credit. HOWEVER, nothing is getting better and I think a change is needed in the coaching ranks. Watching 2 games like this in less than a week is a serious red flag.

We really played poorly tonight, I was very disappointed with our performance and I feel it is fine for others to give opinions on Jamie right now, but I'd like to see how the season plays out before I assess his overall performance for the year..... I think Barnes will do the same.

Reactions: pierre93
Classic overreaction.

Dixon will be coaching here for as long as he desires.

And Pitt will be in the NCAA tournament this year. Somewhere between a 6 and an 11 seed.
Classic "Jamie can do no wrong" kind of guy.

Which is a huge mistake.
It is what it is.

Dixon... much like Tomlin.... will coach at their current jobs for as long as they desire to. Fans who clamor for their removal might as well be banging their heads against brick walls. The Rooneys don't fire coaches that make it to the playoffs 6 out of their 9 years and win them a Super Bowl. Pitt won't fire a head coach who makes the dance 5 out of every 6 years and has the winningest (both in conference and out of conference) records of any coach in Pitt history.

Neither of them will be fired. Ever. When they leave, it will be because they chose to.

I guess if you wanted to scream and rant to the point that you think it will make one of them quit, you can try that. But they'll never ever ever ever ever ever ever be fired.

Get used to that idea. Saves a lot of stressing about it.

It is what it is.

Dixon... much like Tomlin.... will coach at their current jobs for as long as they desire to. Fans who clamor for their removal might as well be banging their heads against brick walls. The Rooneys don't fire coaches that make it to the playoffs 6 out of their 9 years and win them a Super Bowl. Pitt won't fire a head coach who makes the dance 5 out of every 6 years and has the winningest (both in conference and out of conference) records of any coach in Pitt history.

Neither of them will be fired. Ever. When they leave, it will be because they chose to.

I guess if you wanted to scream and rant to the point that you think it will make one of them quit, you can try that. But they'll never ever ever ever ever ever ever be fired.

Get used to that idea. Saves a lot of stressing about it.
So do you think Dixon SHOULD be let go?

Dixon owns what has happened to the program since 2009.

This team won't beat ANY team with a good post presence and a really good guard.

Pitt doesn't have the size inside to play that style. NCSU's athletes took away the baseline and easy drives.

James got eaten alive on the edge by Barber. A lot of guards do. James isn't a superstar on defense.

We'll see if Jamie's next few classes are athletic enough, long enough, and good enough shooters to compete with winless ACC teams that still have enough talent to beat you senseless on a given night.

If not, he's getting five years either way. We're on the hook for eight more years.

Reactions: PittPoker
Fair enough. I don't think this job is as good as some think. A few years ago some guys were suggesting Brad Stevens and Shaka Smart which was absolutely laughable. And I mean laughable they'd have even entertained the idea of coming here.
That's because the buffoon Pedey boy was the AD-nobody wanted to work for that idiot. Pitt could attract a solid coach now.

Reactions: The Sisco Kid
There is no doubting we have slid quite a ways from the glory years of the early 2000s. It seemed like we lived in the top ten more than not, and being ranked first on occasion was pretty special. I like Dixon and think he should be given a very long leash to get things back in the right direction. However, if we are still middling around in two years, occasionally cracking the bottom of the top 25, I might be singing a different tune.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT