ADVERTISEMENT

I'M SORRY BUT MAYBE IT REALLY IS TIME FOR JAMIE TO GO!!

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
I bit my tongue and didn't post the whole 1st half. This performance is disgraceful in every sense of the word.

1 game like this "could" be considered a mirage - 2 in the last 3 games is a trend.

Recruiting has been below par for a few years now with honestly nothing on the horizon that is going to WOW us.

Every year we beat up on these really bad teams with the hope of getting wins and in Jamie's mind, strengthening us for the committee in March. How does this help us at all?? The OOC schedule is a joke and the 2 top 20 teams we did play we were blown out, lost by double digits.

Team has no mental toughness, can't rebound, no inside game, no guard play, JRob has been atrocious and it all starts with him.

Look Jamie has done a lot for Pitt and we can all give him credit. HOWEVER, nothing is getting better and I think a change is needed in the coaching ranks. Watching 2 games like this in less than a week is a serious red flag.

Looks like they did against Louisville, clueless and don't seem like they care if they win or lose, and NCSU is not a good team, Pitt is making them look better then they are

Last edited:
Reactions: The Sisco Kid
So just curious Souf. When does the head coach have any blame in this? The bad recruiting, the early tournament exits year after year, the lack of defense, etc??? When?

I hate to say it is time for Jamie to go. That is an overreaction. Does he need to take a good, long look at his staff in the off-season and make changes? Yes. And if he doesn't realize that, there is a problem. For me, how Bill Barton is still employed here is baffling. The guy is not a lead assistant at any P5 school.

I take my issues with Jamie, as has been well documented. He is stubborn, and while he is a great elevator of talent, he is not a great recruiter. Sometimes seems to take guys but not use their talents appropriately. But to say he needs to go is just too much. He has accomplished a lot here, and that can't be overlooked.

As for PittPoker's last question......that is Souf's schtick. He never blames Jamie for a thing.

Just laughable crowd still booing Rowan when we're down by 18 points with 5 minutes left. Maybe they should boo the Pitt team and Dixon for this pathetic performance.

Admittedly, Wanny got canned for an equivalent level of mediocrity
I put Jamie on similar terms with a guy like Tom Coughlin(although he won 2 super bowls). Any success Dixon has had has been quite a few years now and really (even the Jamie lovers should agree), the program has regressed and not getting any better.

I think it might be time for a fresh start from a new head coach.

I hate to say it is time for Jamie to go. That is an overreaction. Does he need to take a good, long look at his staff in the off-season and make changes? Yes. And if he doesn't realize that, there is a problem. For me, how Bill Barton is still employed here is baffling. The guy is not a lead assistant at any P5 school.

I take my issues with Jamie, as has been well documented. He is stubborn, and while he is a great elevator of talent, he is not a great recruiter. Sometimes seems to take guys but not use their talents appropriately. But to say he needs to go is just too much. He has accomplished a lot here, and that can't be overlooked.

As for PittPoker's last question......that is Souf's schtick. He never blames Jamie for a thing.
Of course you're wrong as usual on that point.

I put Jamie on similar terms with a guy like Tom Coughlin(although he won 2 super bowls). Any success Dixon has had has been quite a few years now and really (even the Jamie lovers should agree), the program has regressed and not getting any better.

Watch what you wish for.

hahaha - comparing him to a super bowl winning coach - hahaha

hahaha - comparing him to a super bowl winning coach - hahaha
C'mon, my point was that Coughlin was shown the door because the Giants were mediocre or worse the past 5 years or so. Same thing with Jamie to a lesser degree. Early success but it's been quite a few years since we've had a top quality team and sometimes a change might be better, a different philosophy.

C'mon, my point was that Coughlin was shown the door because the Giants were mediocre or worse the past 5 years or so. Same thing with Jamie to a lesser degree. Early success but it's been quite a few years since we've had a top quality team and sometimes a change might be better, a different philosophy.
I'm sorry, I agree with your conclusion, I do. I just got a kick out of it. Jamie is what he is - he can coach a senior heavy team to a CBI championship.

It's evident that most of these consensus All American high school kids just don't want to come here. Maybe a new coach, new recruiter, new philosophy would change things. Just getting progressively worse year after year.

Pitt is just sooooooo.... good at putting up 80 + points and destroying the cupcakes, but then against better opponents, they are choking badly.

Losing to NC State by 17 @ home (a place where Pitt is supposed to be nearly "unbeatable") is disgraceful.

What is going on....????

Reactions: PittPoker
It's evident that most of these consensus All American high school kids just don't want to come here. Maybe a new coach, new recruiter, new philosophy would change things. Just getting progressively worse year after year.

At least Jamie has gone more "up-tempo" this year and has some very quick guards playing for him next year.

Sad thing is, his team's defense has been very bad & not good at all.

There is a reason we dropped out of the AP poll... Must win game against FSU on Saturday...

Go Pittt

Who do you suggest? And be realistic. And we can start realistic by eliminating Sean Miller cause that's not happening.

Who says I'm wrong, Souf? You? Please, you are far from the genius you purport to be, and even further from the smartest basketball mind on this board

When it comes to football you find every excuse to blame or not credit the coaches. When it comes to basketball, it is all about defending Jamie in any way possible. Your games are old.

The Jamie Dixon of the past 4 plus years years of conference play is 40 - 38. That record gets coaches terminated at many schools.

However, Dixon's outstanding 1st 8 years got him a long term contract that will give him much more time at Pitt.

Who says I'm wrong, Souf? You? Please, you are far from the genius you purport to be, and even further from the smartest basketball mind on this board

When it comes to football you find every excuse to blame or not credit the coaches. When it comes to basketball, it is all about defending Jamie in any way possible. Your games are old.
Maybe the third times a charm.
Dixon is accountable for everything.

A fourth for good measure.
Dixon, the head coach, is accountable for everything on him team.

Same is true for our under achievers coaching football.

You are free to have the opinion Dixon should be fired.

If Huggins can do this at WVU Jamie should be able to do better than what he has given us. This is sad.
Huggins went 14-18 two years ago and cc only scored 39 in their last tourney game. PITT fans would of had a major meltdown on here if that happened. Kansas lost by 19 tonight. Lots of hoops left to be played. Yeah we should can Dixon since he has some good recruits coming in and red shirting a huge center in Nix. Sorry but Calipari and Miller aren't coming here.

Reactions: oldpanther

It seems like more and more Pitt fans have had it with JD, a new coach no matter who it is can't do any worse, I know this year is only half over but this is getting to be old stuff, the last 5 years have been mediocre at best, is that good enough for some of the Dixon faithful. Wonder what AD Barnes is thinking about the basketball program at this point, we might be 15 - 3 but look who we beat and when we played ranked teams we got stomped, and stomped at home by a team that was 0 - 5 in the ACC. How much more of this mediocrity do you guys want to watch

It seems like more and more Pitt fans have had it with JD, a new coach no matter who it is can't do any worse, I know this year is only half over but this is getting to be old stuff, the last 5 years have been mediocre at best, is that good enough for some of the Dixon faithful. Wonder what AD Barnes is thinking about the basketball program at this point, we might be 15 - 3 but look who we beat and when we played ranked teams we got stomped, and stomped at home by a team that was 0 - 5 in the ACC. How much more of this mediocrity do you guys want to watch
We have a long history which indicates any other coach can do much worse.

You're speaking in generalities as a way to cover for Dixon. You say he is ultimately accountable, but with every other post you blame our bad defense, someone who had a bad game, turnovers, or the general make-up of the team. You don't specifically say what is wrong with Dixon (coaching, recruiting, substitution patterns) because you don't want to harp on any one thing or single Jamie out. Saying he is ultimately accountable is an absolute cop-out. That's like Mike Tomlin saying the Steelers need to own their performance.....as if there is a choice.

Reactions: PittPoker
Well I am honestly glad Souf you are finally holding Dixon accountable. Pitt has faded from any national perception that we are a top team that can compete for championships. That ship has sailed for years now. What Pitt has morphed into is a team KNOWN NATIONALLY as the team with a joke OOC who beats cupcakes but is not a serious conference or tournament contender. It's getting worse here, it is and that's why it really might be time to move in a different direction. What Jamie did for Pitt in his early years is long long gone.

Reactions: The Sisco Kid
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT