ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting discussion on Facebook

Las Panteras

All Conference
May 11, 2014
Name the most overrated athletes ever in Pittsburgh

Now....because its FB....you had idiots claim Mario, Marino, Big Ben, Bonds...

But lots of votes for Pickett, Neil O'Donnel, Artie Burns.

Ill go with Dante Taylor, Jamaine Stevens and Dion Figures.......

I saw a clip from Hard Knocks from Nick Saban where he said the reason why there's such a big failure rate for 1st Round QBs is because of the expectations and how they have to be really good right away. It took Pickett 5 years at Pitt to become a really good QB. Obviously an NFL team isnt going to wait 5 years, but he only started like 20 games. That’s not enough. And then they replaced him with 2 guys who arent any better.

Some of these 1st Round QBs would be good QBs if they were given time but if you get drafted that high, you have to show you are a franchise QB in Year 1 or Year 2 or you are done.

People overrate the word "overrated". Or okay, they misrepresent. For one, just because you don't like someone doesn't make them overrated. Jermaine Stephens was never "overrated" because he was a small college flyer and last pick in rd 1, so there really wasn't much expectations. But now John Reinstra, Tim Worley, Huey, but alot of those guys are more "busts" than overrated.

Kris Benson and Jeff King are good calls. They were 1-1 MLB picks, and while having careers, they never made an all star team.

Dante Taylor proved to be overrated, Khem Birch wasn't here long enough. But how about Chris Taft? Here's one, how about Vonteego Cummings? What exactly did he win?

Pitt football wise, wow. Shayne Hale. Was he overrated or a bust. Elliott Donald, chapter not yet written, but he was a Rivals 100 player. Paris Ford, yeah he pretty much is the definition of the term. Was Pat Bostick a bust or overrated? I think there are nuances there.

David Bednar is overrated. Sure some recency bias here, but closers in general are. They have a shelf life. Here's another, and no way does "overrated" mean "suck", but Marc Andre Fleury. Alot of revisionist history once he left the Pens, but he personally cost 2010, 2012 was benched in 2013, and was outplayed by the opposite goalie in 2011, and 2014 and 2015.

• Love
Reactions: 303vND and Fk_Pitt
kordell stewart. he was actually a very poor qb when it came to actually throwing the ball. i still see highlights of him running which is great but as a QB, he was actually terrible..

had he stayed at WR, he'd be in HOF..

kordell stewart. he was actually a very poor qb when it came to actually throwing the ball. i still see highlights of him running which is great but as a QB, he was actually terrible..

For that era, yeah, but today he'd be considered very valuable in an era where some offenses love a QB that can run.

In my mind, the perfect example of "overrated" (not local) is Emmitt Smith. All time NFL leading rusher. But I would be hard pressed to put him on a list of 10 best RB's. Doesn't mean he sucked, he was good. But he was not "great". He had a great line, great weapons around him. But I am not sure he was a better back than even Dorsett. Let alone Payton, Sanders, Brown, Dickerson, Peterson, LT, OJ (yes OJ)

Ehh. I dunno. I think you’re describing Justin Fields. Kordell was a much better thrower of the football. My story and I’m sticking to it…Kordell would have been an All Pro, not just a pro bowler a year or two, if he didn’t have a different OC every single year. I don’t think people realize how much an OC and a QB are joined at the hip and a QB dependent on a good system, a good coach, and a consistent system. In Kordell’s case, he had to learn new systems every year and never found his full potential.

In my mind, the perfect example of "overrated" (not local) is Emmitt Smith. All time NFL leading rusher. But I would be hard pressed to put him on a list of 10 best RB's. Doesn't mean he sucked, he was good. But he was not "great". He had a great line, great weapons around him. But I am not sure he was a better back than even Dorsett. Let alone Payton, Sanders, Brown, Dickerson, Peterson, LT, OJ (yes OJ)
Is it possible that Dorsett was underrated? Back then he certainly wasn’t overrated. He was everything everyone thought he was and more. But his NFL career doesn’t seem to hold up historically now. In college it does, but it’s almost as though his pro career is an afterthought and he was still great.

Reactions: pittdan77

I’m so glad I don’t Facebook. Lol. Wow. Anyone who says Mario was overrated certainly never saw him play. He’s the most dominant athlete I have ever seen and it’s not even close.

But I think you’re going for athletes at Pitt or Pitt related. Owt mentioned Shayne Hale and that’s a good one. Pat Bostick is another. And of course the RB from Washington, PA Brian Davis. That dude was going to be the best player of all time if you read the articles from back then.

Pitt football related but not Pitt…I’ll go with Ron Powlus…we all remember what our beloved Beano said about him.

Then again these are all busts (people overrated out of HS). If we are going for someone whose career is regarded as great, and he wasn’t…I’ll have to think about that one. It’s a good question.

Reactions: xslfyk4
I see where you're coming from but I don't think I could accuse the guy of being overrated. If you would have said that Troy Aikman was nothing more than a system QB who was had decent accuracy and was carried by the talent around him, I could agree.

Pat isn't overrated. I think we all remember that season especially Michigan state where he and Smith passed like 3 times all game and we ran wildcat all game.

Jerome Bettis

overrated relative to when? High school prospect status? Draft position? Pro career?

Rushel Shell, Bostick, Morelli, Pinky Johnson, that midget from Clairton, even arguably Pryor… all overrated relative to HS.

Jon Baldwin, Tom Ricketts, Huey Richardson, Chad Hermanson, Mark Merchant all overrated relative to amateur status.

I think athletes that are overrated based upon their pro careers, Franco, Letang, Lynn Swann. All excellent but if they didn’t play in Pittsburgh they would not get the love they do.

K’Bryan Hayes?

Jamie Dixon?

Mike Tomlin? (Actually this guy might be the best example ever).

if you read the Lair, these guys are the clubhouse leaders by far. Lol.

Carry on, Gents.

overrated relative to when? High school prospect status? Draft position? Pro career?

Rushel Shell, Bostick, Morelli, Pinky Johnson, that midget from Clairton, even arguably Pryor… all overrated relative to HS.

Jon Baldwin, Tom Ricketts, Huey Richardson, Chad Hermanson, Mark Merchant all overrated relative to amateur status.

I think athletes that are overrated based upon their pro careers, Franco, Letang, Lynn Swann. All excellent but if they didn’t play in Pittsburgh they would not get the love they do.
I'll vote for the midget from Clairton, the guy who charged Panther-lair's, Ryan Donnelly, $5 to enter his commitment party.

sddefault.jpg

Personally, I think Jamain Stephens, Huey, Tim Worley, Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns as busts, not overrated. They were poorly evaluated by the team prior to selection, but no one overrated them in their time here, or since. Pickett I guess would fit as overrated since he came in with hype from having played at Pitt and the locals and Pitt fans in the Steeler fanbase that had watched him in college.

I'll vote for the midget from Clairton, the guy who charged Panther-lair's, Ryan Donnelly, $5 to enter his commitment party.

sddefault.jpg
he had a 5 entry fee to his commitment party even though he was already registered for classes at psu..

Cam Heyward - they talk about him being in the HOF. I'm like what?!!!! Let me know when he makes a memorable play in a big game. I couldn't name you one signature play he's made in his entire career.

Should be a guy that people said was actually good. Rushel Shell, Pink Suit Johnson, Tony Moronelli would all fit.

Reactions: 303vND
Evgeni Malkin (in terms of the Penguins marketing him and Sid as equals and his weird cult fan base) and Hines Ward
penguins never marketed Malkin as his equal. if anything, they didnt market Malkin nearly enough and if he wanted to be "the man," He'd have left pittsburgh a decade ago..

hines ward is probably the most under rated steeler in the history of the organization and possibly the nfl.

Hines Ward. Very good and important player on some great teams but not HOF caliber like many push him to be. Don’t care about the stats. I don’t think opposing defenses feared him too much. Great WR2 but not a WR1 for me.

Hines Ward. Very good and important player on some great teams but not HOF caliber like many push him to be. Don’t care about the stats. I don’t think opposing defenses feared him too much. Great WR2 but not a WR1 for me.
im fine with him not being in the hall. but he put up HUGE stats and was big in the red zone. basically is widely known as the best run blocking wr in the nfl.

Reactions: xslfyk4 and 303vND
There was a safety from Duquesne that never panned out.
Can’t remember his name..
Not sure if he ever saw the field?
Rushell Shell also comes to mind.
Elijah Fields. He had NFL potential if he could have stayed out of trouble.

Another from Duquesne around the same time was Shane Brooks. A friend's son who was on the team told me he was a freak at RB/FB, but apparently liked smoking ganja more than football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT