ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting discussion on Facebook

Joe Namath - Career Stats
50% - Completion %
173 - TD’s
220 - INT’s
He got in more for being a cultural icon of the 60s, like Marilyn Monroe or JFK, and being the poster boy of the AFL in the fur coat and the panty hose, and calling the win as an 18-point underdog, also first to throw for 4000 yards in a season legitimized the AFL winning that Super Bowl, a lot of circumstances beyond stats.

Mazeroski made the Hall of Fame too; I doubt he gets in if he isn't the only guy with a World Series Game 7 walk off HR.

He got in more for being a cultural icon of the 60s, like Marilyn Monroe or JFK, and being the poster boy of the AFL in the fur coat and the panty hose, and calling the win as an 18-point underdog, also first to throw for 4000 yards in a season legitimized the AFL winning that Super Bowl, a lot of circumstances beyond stats.

Mazeroski made the Hall of Fame too; I doubt he gets in if he isn't the only guy with a World Series Game 7 walk off HR.
The players in the Hall of Fame were stars who made a difference in games time after time for a decade or more. They were vetted by people who were thoroughly familiar with their careers. Someone who has been to a few games and has access to a computer doesn't get to second-guess the qualified voters. I suggest taking away their computers.

Maz's career defensive "numbers" are as good as any 2nd baseman to ever play the game.......had 139 home runs playing in a GIANT BALLPARK......2000 plus hits......had more rbi than any middle infielder during his peak decade...

In the 1960s, only five NL second basemen had 105 double plays in a season, Mazeroski was the only one to do it more than once....he did it NINE times.

Maz led all major league middle infielders with 714 RBI during an 11-year span between 1957-1967 primarily batting in the number seven or eighth in the batting order. Among primary second basemen from 1957-1968, he drove in 756 runs, 283 more than second place Frank Boiling.

Maz is still the single-season and career DP leader for second basemen in an era without defensive analytics to aid positioning and did not play on perfectly manicured infields. Ask Tony Kubek about Forbes Field's infield.

Bill James said that Maz graded out with the highest defensive rating in MLB history. Not just for 2Bmen. But for any position. Also, in his pitching dominated era, Maz was one of the top hitting 2Bmen. Much more than just a glove. His HRs were limited by Forbes Field but he had HR seasons of 16 and 19 and RBI seasons of 82, 81 and 77. He led the team in RBIs in 1962 on a team that included Stuart, Clemente and Skinner. He was the Pirates primary cleanup batter in 1963, generally hitting 4th or 5th that year. In 1967 he was 2nd on the team in RBIs behind only Clemente and ahead of Stargell and Clendenon. Going into the 1960 WS, Maz had been the Bucs' hottest hitter since August and continued thru the WS hitting .320 with 2 HRs. I have read posts from no-nothings claiming Maz was good field/no hit. Those people only show their ignorance and clearly were not familiar with his career.

As for Namath:

All-time great QB! Finalist for the NFL'S 100th anniversary team! How great? A finalist 40 years after his playing days were over! Picked by experts like Bill Belichick but you know better.

For those geeks that only look at stats, and disagree with REAL NFL experts that made those selections, that tells me you don't know football. But you know better. Go play some of your video games, like that's real football.

All the old AFL teams would eventually do well in the new league configuration. In due course they would all earn their fair share of money and respect. There were a lot of reasons for this. But in retrospect, Al Davis found one better than others. "Namath made us," he said.

Vince Lombardi said, "His arm, his release of the ball are just perfect. Namath is as good a passer as I've ever seen."
and
Defensive backs were conditioned to think a receiver would make his move within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage. Maybe, if the guy was special, he'd go 18. Beyond that distance, a WR who hadn't made his move was sprinting for the end zone. QBs didn't throw 20-yard square-outs. Even if they had the arm, they wouldn't have the time. The Jets were an exception. Not only did they have 20-yard square-outs in the playback, within a year of Joe's arrival they were running 25-yard square outs.

Reactions: Parkview57
As for Namath:

All-time great QB! Finalist for the NFL'S 100th anniversary team! How great? A finalist 40 years after his playing days were over! Picked by experts like Bill Belichick but you know better.

For those geeks that only look at stats, and disagree with REAL NFL experts that made those selections, that tells me you don't know football. But you know better. Go play some of your video games, like that's real football.

All the old AFL teams would eventually do well in the new league configuration. In due course they would all earn their fair share of money and respect. There were a lot of reasons for this. But in retrospect, Al Davis found one better than others. "Namath made us," he said.

Vince Lombardi said, "His arm, his release of the ball are just perfect. Namath is as good a passer as I've ever seen."
and
Defensive backs were conditioned to think a receiver would make his move within 15 yards of the line of scrimmage. Maybe, if the guy was special, he'd go 18. Beyond that distance, a WR who hadn't made his move was sprinting for the end zone. QBs didn't throw 20-yard square-outs. Even if they had the arm, they wouldn't have the time. The Jets were an exception. Not only did they have 20-yard square-outs in the playback, within a year of Joe's arrival they were running 25-yard square outs.
Which of these is Hall of Famer Joe Namath and which is not Hall of Famer John Handl from 1965-1974 (Namath's peak seasons)? One of these guys wins every single category, except for one game where his defense created FIVE turnovers to get him the win.
Games StartedQB RecordCompletionAttemptsCmp%YdsTDsIntLed League in YardsLed League in TDsLed League in INTs
10456-44-41565309950.5%23,681151171313
12970-50-91819359950.5%26,407192191322

Which of these is Hall of Famer Joe Namath and which is not Hall of Famer John Handl from 1965-1974 (Namath's peak seasons)? One of these guys wins every single category, except for one game where his defense created FIVE turnovers to get him the win.
Games StartedQB RecordCompletionAttemptsCmp%YdsTDsIntLed League in YardsLed League in TDsLed League in INTs
It's Hadl not Handl.

It's almost as though athlete's legacies are often tied to postseason performances. Is Lynn Swann in the Hall of Fame if he didn't have his performances in the playoffs/Super Bowls?
Probably not. But as someone who grew up with Lynn Swann as my childhood idol, I will steal a line paraphrased from the great John Facenda. Lynn Swann is making plays when most of America is watching.

Goes a long way..........................................to defining greatness.

They were vetted by people who were thoroughly familiar with their careers. Someone who has been to a few games and has access to a computer doesn't get to second-guess the qualified voters. I suggest taking away their computers.

Shouldn't it be pointed out that the "qualified voters" who were doing the vetting had a chance to vote on Maz 15 years in a row, and he never even got as many has half of the votes? And that he only got in through one of the "crony committees" that the HOF was notorious for at the time? And that everyone was so pleased with the way that committee voted that they immediately completely change the procedure for those committees on who they were to consider and when they could vote for them?

Nah, probably better not.

Reactions: CJsE
Shouldn't it be pointed out that the "qualified voters" who were doing the vetting had a chance to vote on Maz 15 years in a row, and he never even got as many has half of the votes? And that he only got in through one of the "crony committees" that the HOF was notorious for at the time? And that everyone was so pleased with the way that committee voted that they immediately completely change the procedure for those committees on who they were to consider and when they could vote for them?

Not to mention that he didn't even make it on the first vote in the Veteran's Committee when he failed the prior year. Then he got in the next year before they disbanded the 13-member secret ballot committee.

"But CJsE," some might say, "the complete overhaul was in no way directly related to Mazeroski getting voted in despite never receiving more than 42% of the HOF vote during his 15-year eligibility."

What was one of the brand new rules put in place the very next year?...That no player is allowed to be on the ballot for the new Veteran's Committee two years in a row.

Not to mention that he didn't even make it on the first vote in the Veteran's Committee when he failed the prior year. Then he got in the next year before they disbanded the 13-member secret ballot committee.

"But CJsE," some might say, "the complete overhaul was in no way directly related to Mazeroski getting voted in despite never receiving more than 42% of the HOF vote during his 15-year eligibility."

What was one of the brand new rules put in place the very next year?...That no player is allowed to be on the ballot for the new Veteran's Committee two years in a row.

Hey, Maz was "our guy", so at some level I'm happy he's in. But if you are making a list where you rank how good all the players in the HOF were and you don't have Maz near the bottom of your list, you did it wrong.

Those "qualified voters" also failed to induct Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Henry Aaron and Willie Mays unanimously. So they can be wrong more than once, no?

Those "qualified voters" also failed to induct Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Henry Aaron and Willie Mays unanimously. So they can be wrong more than once, no?
"They" all voted overwhelming in favor of all your listed players on their first attempt. Cobb and Ruth got in on the very first HOF ballot ever. So the voters were forced to pick only 10 names from every single person that I played baseball before 1935.

Ty Cobb - 222/226 voted in favor
Hank Aaron - 406/415 voted in favor
Babe Ruth - 215/226 voted in favor
Stan Musial - 317/340 in favor
Ted Williams - 282/302 in favor
Willie Mays - 409/432 in favor

Bill Mazeroski 1st attempt - 23/379 in favor
Maz didn't get more than 9.5% of the vote until his 6th year of eligibility and he didn't crack 30% until his 10th year.

"They" all voted overwhelming in favor of all your listed players on their first attempt. Cobb and Ruth got in on the very first HOF ballot ever. So the voters were forced to pick only 10 names from every single person that I played baseball before 1935.

Ty Cobb - 222/226 voted in favor
Hank Aaron - 406/415 voted in favor
Babe Ruth - 215/226 voted in favor
Stan Musial - 317/340 in favor
Ted Williams - 282/302 in favor
Willie Mays - 409/432 in favor

Bill Mazeroski 1st attempt - 23/379 in favor
Maz didn't get more than 9.5% of the vote until his 6th year of eligibility and he didn't crack 30% until his 10th year.
Overwhelmingly is not the same as unanimously. Surely you know the difference in meaning.

Overwhelmingly is not the same as unanimously. Surely you know the difference in meaning.
But your argument makes no sense because you can't define an entire group's actions by the actions of a very small portion of the larger group of people. There are a few Americans that are cannibals, you wouldn't "they" (referring to Americans) are cannibals. It's not my fault that you choose to make a dumb point comparing the actions of less than 5% of voters with the actions of 95% of them in another situation.

But the overwhelming majority of "they" voted for all the players you listed in their first ballot. The overwhelming majority of "they" thought Maz didn't belong in the Hall for vote after vote after vote after vote after vote after vote, etc.

If offense is your qualifier.

No, my qualifier would be how good the person was as a baseball player. Just like I said.

If offense was the only qualifier Maz would have never got into the Hall without buying a ticket. Even if they doubled the size. Or tripled it. Or increased it ten-fold.

No, my qualifier would be how good the person was as a baseball player. Just like I said.

If offense was the only qualifier Maz would have never got into the Hall without buying a ticket. Even if they doubled the size. Or tripled it. Or increased it ten-fold.

To put some numbers on it, Mazeroski is currently tied for 965th in MLB history in offensive WAR. So we are all on the same page, he's tied with nine guys at 19.6. One of those nine guys is Joe Randa.

You can't seriously think that defense is even close to as important as offense, can you?
No, which is why it took Maz a longer time to get in, but he got in , certainly you can appreciate that a top defensive middle infielder, at the top of their league for a decade is an elite class of athlete.

Reactions: cbpitt2
No, which is why it took Maz a longer time to get in, but he got in , certainly you can appreciate that a top defensive middle infielder, at the top of their league for a decade is an elite class of athlete.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe Bill Mazeroski as an elite athlete before. Great hand - eye coordination, but other than that certainly not what most people would consider elite athletically.

There are a lot of middle infielders that are more deserving than Maz that aren’t in the HOF: Lou Whitaker, Omar Vizquel, Jeff Kent, Bobby Grich, Nomar Garciaparra, etc…

I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe Bill Mazeroski as an elite athlete before. Great hand - eye coordination, but other than that certainly not what most people would consider elite athletically.
Well, I am not going to convince you that winning 8 GG at SS or 2nd (He would have won 9 but they did not give one for each league in until 1958) is quite an athletic accomplishment. I am sure that I do not have to tell you that in Maz's day there were no safety rules, breaking up the double play with force was accepted. ( I think he played in every game for five of those gold glove seasons) But the proof is in the pudding, he is in, his .260 /138/850's were enough in the context of his day.

There are a lot of middle infielders that are more deserving than Maz that aren’t in the HOF: Lou Whitaker, Omar Vizquel, Jeff Kent, Bobby Grich, Nomar Garciaparra, etc…
Whitaker for sure, Grich ah not sure could be a tie, less glove for sure, more HR's, same average, same career rbi's .....???

But 2nd baseman.....Vizquel only played 76 games at 2nd....Garcia fewer

To put some numbers on it, Mazeroski is currently tied for 965th in MLB history in offensive WAR. So we are all on the same page, he's tied with nine guys at 19.6. One of those nine guys is Joe Randa.
How many thousands of players have played MLB? To be frank, 965 doesn't sound that bad to me. Now I haven't closely studied the stats so I don't know how great he was defensively purely from an objective numbers perspective. But there are 274 former players in the HOF. A 965th best offensive WAR combined with a truly elite glove is probably worthy of the HOF.

Well, I am not going to convince you that winning 8 GG at SS or 2nd (He would have won 9 but they did not give one for each league in until 1958) is quite an athletic accomplishment. I am sure that I do not have to tell you that in Maz's day there were no safety rules, breaking up the double play with force was accepted. ( I think he played in every game for five of those gold glove seasons) But the proof is in the pudding, he is in, his .260 /138/850's were enough in the context of his day.
The pudding is sour. He is in because of a 15-person veterans committee voting with secret ballots, whose chairman was Maz's General Manager. On top of that, Ted Williams who voted against Maz the previous year, had to miss the meeting because he was having heart surgery. So instead of needing the usual 12 votes to get in, he only needed 11 votes to reach the necessary 75% of participants (which is how many he got the previous year).

As a direct result of Maz getting in, the following happened within months of the vote taking place.
- The committee was disbanded.
- A new committee was formed that had 10x the number of members to prevent the outsized influence of any individual member. (Like a chairman.)
- Votes would be submitted by mail. (William's physical absence is what swung the vote in Maz's favor.)
- No player could be up for a vote in the veteran's committee two years in a row. (Because Maz failed the vote in 2000 and got in 2001.)

When a nearly 50-year old system gets overhauled as a direct result of you getting into the HOF, that's definitely proof of something.

So Hadl had numbers, he didn't win the AFL's 1st Super Bowl, he didn't predict he was winning as an 18 point underdog, he didn't wear a fur coat and panty hose and grow a Fu Manch mustache, didn't date movie stars, he wasn't the iconic character Namath was, Namath made the AFL and it was more than his play or stats

So Hadl had numbers, he didn't win the AFL's 1st Super Bowl, he didn't predict he was winning as an 18 point underdog, he didn't wear a fur coat and panty hose and grow a Fu Manch mustache, didn't date movie stars, he wasn't the iconic character Namath was, Namath made the AFL and it was more than his play or stats
Agreed. Hadl was probably a better QB. But it's called the Hall Of FAME. Namath was famous, Hadl was not.

Agreed. Hadl was probably a better QB. But it's called the Hall Of FAME. Namath was famous, Hadl was not.
Namath was a very good player, won a championship, but he made the HofF from being a movie star-like character, he was also like a counter culture 60s type, he was like the guy your parents didn't like, unlike Unitas with the crew cut and black high tops, he had the long hair and white shoes, he drew the young crowd, to look at stats has nothing to do with why he's in the Hall

Oh no, I completely agree that Namath belongs in the Hall of Fame for those very reasons. He was truly an iconic player.

That doesn't mean he wasn't and isn't overrated as a QB.

Reactions: Pitt79
Oh no, I completely agree that Namath belongs in the Hall of Fame for those very reasons. He was truly an iconic player.

That doesn't mean he wasn't and isn't overrated as a QB.
Agreed, but he didn't lack talent either, he was the 1st guy to throw for 4000 yards for one thing, he could throw a football

The Hall of Fame is supposed to confer fame, not reward it.
Give us an example of someone who was not famous among fans during their playing days, but later had fame conferred upon them by their induction into a hall of fame.

I don't think you can confer, bestow or grant fame. But you can recognize, honor or celebrate it.

Give us an example of someone who was not famous among fans during their playing days, but later had fame conferred upon them by their induction into a hall of fame.

I don't think you can confer, bestow or grant fame. But you can recognize, honor or celebrate it.

Well, I would say Bill Mazeroski, but let's face it, him making the HOF didn't really make him all that famous in any event.

And you absolutely can recognize, honor and celebrate fame. But that is most certainly NOT what a sports Hall of Fame is supposed to be doing. If it was, Roger Maris, for example would have been a first ballot Hall of Famer. Hall of Fames are not supposed to be recognizing famous people, they are supposed to be recognizing the best performers. That many of them happen to be famous before they were given the honor is certainly true, and absolutely irrelevant to the honor.

Give us an example of someone who was not famous among fans during their playing days, but later had fame conferred upon them by their induction into a hall of fame
Yes, Bill Mazeroski - He hid behind his 8 gold gloves, and 7 all-star games, and since there were only seven other teams in the league at the time most followers of baseball, the National league followers in particular, could not remember who played 2nd base for the Pirates and won 8 gold gloves and was selected as an all-star 7 times. Then against the New York Yankees in the World Series game 7, he hits a walk-off home run very quietly, so he spent most of his baseball life in obscurity due to only having 8 Gold Gloves, 7 all-star games, and the most famous hit of the decade, fans could not recall his name, in fact a lot of people in NYC by 1962 were saying "some guy name Smith hit that homer".....very not famous....

Mazeroski is a very borderline Hall of Famer, but not the worst Pirate to be enshrined. Lloyd Waner is #1 overall on multiple “Most Undeserving HOF’er” lists.

One thing many of those type guys have in common is they were voted in by the Veterans Committee.

Mazeroski is a very borderline Hall of Famer, but not the worst Pirate to be enshrined. Lloyd Waner is #1 overall on multiple “Most Undeserving HOF’er” lists.

One thing many of those type guys have in common is they were voted in by the Veterans Committee.
Lloyd Waner has a lifetime BA of .316 when hitting .300 meant something. Consider Clemente's lifetime BA is .317. Four times Waner had more than 200 hits in a season. I'm sure the list of those players that had more than 200 hits in a season four times or more is a short and impressive one. Eleven seasons Waner hit .300 or better.

There was a safety from Duquesne that never panned out.
Can’t remember his name..
Not sure if he ever saw the field?
Rushell Shell also comes to mind.
You talking about Elijah Fields? He played as a freshman then either flunked out or got thrown out of school. Can't remember the circumstances.

Reactions: Pitt1975
they are supposed to be recognizing the best performers.
In what way? Does it have to be the most fantastical athleticism? Or what about if you're steady and pile up huge numbers over a long time and win championships, but aren't spectacular?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT