ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting discussion on Facebook

I hate to pick on players coming out of high school because they have no control over what evaluators say about them, but I’ll throw one out there from way back…Bobby Martin.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Name the most overrated athletes ever in Pittsburgh

Now....because its FB....you had idiots claim Mario, Marino, Big Ben, Bonds...

But lots of votes for Pickett, Neil O'Donnel, Artie Burns.

I’ll go with Dante Taylor, Jamaine Stevens and Dion Figures.......
I agree with “ shoot up the rear “ Bonds

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
Sure -
I mean I was an Isiah Thomas guy - and always wore his number in basketball -
But Stockton is clearly not just a HOF player but likely a top 50 all timer
Yeah that is what is hard because it is subjective. But the fact that Stockton wasn't as good a Magic is not a reason why he should be considered overrated. Then again I said Emmitt Smith who retired as the leading rusher in the NFL. But at no time I don't think anyone considered him the best RB in the league.

This is crazy talk. Ward may or may not be HOF worthy, but there is no way in hell anybody can say he was overrated.
Overrated by steeler fans relative to the rest of the nfl fans .
We love Hines but we are the only ones who think he’s remotely hall of fame worthy . That’s over rating him .

Reactions: BigChungus90210
Yeah that is what is hard because it is subjective. But the fact that Stockton wasn't as good a Magic is not a reason why he should be considered overrated. Then again I said Emmitt Smith who retired as the leading rusher in the NFL. But at no time I don't think anyone considered him the best RB in the league.
Yeah - Emmitt like frankly bettis and Curtis Martin - are testaments to consistency , durability , and length of career .
Which is impressive in itself .
But they weren’t as talented as Barry sanders , Herschel Walker , or Jim Brown .

This is crazy talk. Ward may or may not be HOF worthy, but there is no way in hell anybody can say he was overrated.

That doesn't make sense. For example, if you said that Ward is a surefire Hall of Famer and it's a crime that he didn't make the HOF on his first ballot and I think that Ward was a really good player who doesn't quite rise to the level of a HOFer then I would clearly think that you were overrating Ward. Similarly, you would think that I was underrating him.

I think you can be in the hall of fame and be overrated. John Stockton did one thing. Pick n rolled his way to the alltime assist leader and got in the hall because of that. Never was impressed with any of his game. The jazz never won anything but he could pick n roll with Malone.
I thought he was very good. I believe I've seen videos of his peers saying the same thing.

Overrated by steeler fans relative to the rest of the nfl fans .
We love Hines but we are the only ones who think he’s remotely hall of fame worthy . That’s over rating him .
Well look up his receiving numbers, and see if his is overrated. I mean seriously, Franco, Swan, Ward overrated? You put Swan on a team who threw the ball more, his numbers would be outlandish. Either these posters are simply young, or they have no clue. Franco carried the Steelers on his back. And Ward was simply the best combo (receiving, blocking) WR in the league.

Just stop with all this over the top nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Name the most overrated athletes ever in Pittsburgh

Now....because its FB....you had idiots claim Mario, Marino, Big Ben, Bonds...

But lots of votes for Pickett, Neil O'Donnel, Artie Burns.

Ill go with Dante Taylor, Jamaine Stevens and Dion Figures.......
Joe Namath - Career Stats
50% - Completion %
173 - TD’s
220 - INT’s

Well look up his receiving numbers, and see if his is overrated. I mean seriously, Franco, Swan, Ward overrated? You put Swan on a team who threw the ball more, his numbers would be outlandish. Either these posters are simply young, or they have no clue. Franco carried the Steelers on his back. And Ward was simply the best combo (receiving, blocking) WR in the league.

Just stop with all this over the top nonsense.
Ward is a beloved player for Steelers fans .
But he’s not anything close to a top receiver or hall of fame caliber as soem
Stiller fans insist .
Hence - overrated

I don’t understand why Ward is defended so much and keeps getting pushed to the HOF when we had more deserving guys from that era that never get talked about.

Casey Hampton was the best nose tackle in the league for a decade and made us the best run defense in the league yet because of the nature of the position he never gets mentioned. He’s absolutely a hall of famer to me.

Other guys like Porter, Aaron smith, Woodley, Harrison, McFadden, Ike, Timmons, Farrior, Marvel Smith, Hartings, big Max, etc. were just as, if not more important to those Super Bowl teams. I’m not saying those guys are HOF worthy, but they were more impactful than Ward.

Yeah - Emmitt like frankly bettis and Curtis Martin - are testaments to consistency , durability , and length of career .
Which is impressive in itself .
But they weren’t as talented as Barry sanders , Herschel Walker , or Jim Brown .
Consistency and durability are types of talents. Different type from say a blazing 40 time or incredible vertical leap or huge bench press numbers or amazing moves when the ball is in your hands, but talents no less. And consistency and durability just happen to be talents that contribute greatly to getting into various pro sport HOFs -- perhaps they contribute the most.

Ward is a beloved player for Steelers fans .
But he’s not anything close to a top receiver or hall of fame caliber as soem
Stiller fans insist .
Hence - overrated
I’m curious as to why you don’t think Hines Ward was a top receiver? He has the regular and postseason stats. He is arguably the best blocking wide receiver ever. Seems legit to me.

I’m curious as to why you don’t think Hines Ward was a top receiver? He has the regular and postseason stats. He is arguably the best blocking wide receiver ever. Seems legit to me.
The blocking is incredibly overrated for that position. Just isn’t super important.

He had stats but they don’t mean much. That’s fantasy football. I bet if you asked defensive coordinators to rank receivers during that era he wouldn’t be that high on the list. He was a great WR2 but not the dangerous WR1 some like to remember he was.

Consistency and durability are types of talents. Different type from say a blazing 40 time or incredible vertical leap or huge bench press numbers or amazing moves when the ball is in your hands, but talents no less. And consistency and durability just happen to be talents that contribute greatly to getting into various pro sport HOFs -- perhaps they contribute the most.
Isn’t that what I said ?

If Hines is a HOF so is Antonio brown, Steve smith jr, Brandon Marshall
Hines is 14th in receptions , he’s 28th in career receiving yards , and 19th is career receiving TDs
He had a great career .
But he’s in a tier below hall of fame

People overrate the word "overrated". Or okay, they misrepresent. For one, just because you don't like someone doesn't make them overrated. Jermaine Stephens was never "overrated" because he was a small college flyer and last pick in rd 1, so there really wasn't much expectations. But now John Reinstra, Tim Worley, Huey, but alot of those guys are more "busts" than overrated.

Kris Benson and Jeff King are good calls. They were 1-1 MLB picks, and while having careers, they never made an all star team.

Dante Taylor proved to be overrated, Khem Birch wasn't here long enough. But how about Chris Taft? Here's one, how about Vonteego Cummings? What exactly did he win?

Pitt football wise, wow. Shayne Hale. Was he overrated or a bust. Elliott Donald, chapter not yet written, but he was a Rivals 100 player. Paris Ford, yeah he pretty much is the definition of the term. Was Pat Bostick a bust or overrated? I think there are nuances there.

David Bednar is overrated. Sure some recency bias here, but closers in general are. They have a shelf life. Here's another, and no way does "overrated" mean "suck", but Marc Andre Fleury. Alot of revisionist history once he left the Pens, but he personally cost 2010, 2012 was benched in 2013, and was outplayed by the opposite goalie in 2011, and 2014 and 2015.
Vontego was really good. Played with Martha Stewart and SnoopLion.

Isn’t that what I said ?
Well you said some of the folks in the HOF that exhibited truly elite consistency and durability talents weren't "as talented." Comparing different talents isn't comparing apples to apples, so it's really hard to judge, but names you mentioned are worthy of being in the conversation of the best of the best.

The blocking is incredibly overrated for that position. Just isn’t super important.

He had stats but they don’t mean much. That’s fantasy football. I bet if you asked defensive coordinators to rank receivers during that era he wouldn’t be that high on the list. He was a great WR2 but not the dangerous WR1 some like to remember he was.
from 2000 - 2009, he had over 1k receiving yards 6 years and was only 25 yards short in two other years.. 3 years had over 10 TDs.

He stayed on a year or two long but the bulk of his career, he was tremendous.. in a 3 year gap from 2002 - 2004, he was easily a top 5 WR in the league with insane numbers including over 100 receptions in 2002..

what's crazy about him and why he was often "under valued" was his height, he just didnt look like a traditional nfl wr. That's what is so incredible about him, he accomplished what he did with below avg speed and height..

from 2000 - 2009, he had over 1k receiving yards 6 years and was only 25 yards short in two other years.. 3 years had over 10 TDs.

He stayed on a year or two long but the bulk of his career, he was tremendous.. in a 3 year gap from 2002 - 2004, he was easily a top 5 WR in the league with insane numbers including over 100 receptions in 2002..

what's crazy about him and why he was often "under valued" was his height, he just didnt look like a traditional nfl wr. That's what is so incredible about him, he accomplished what he did with below avg speed and height..
While I don't agree with people saying that Hines wasn't a solid #1, I also don't think he's HOF worthy. These stats are over roughly the same 10-season stretch around 2000-2009 which you mentioned. Hines Ward has been a semifinalist 8 times, two of his division rivals only made it once combined.

Which of these is Hines Ward and which are the two receivers from a division rival that barely got a sniff at the HOF? Also, one of these options took 10 semi-finalist appearances to reach the HOF.

Tgt/yearRec/yrYds/yrY/RTD/yr

While I don't agree with people saying that Hines wasn't a solid #1, I also don't think he's HOF worthy. These stats are over roughly the same 10-season stretch around 2000-2009 which you mentioned. Hines Ward has been a semifinalist 8 times, two of his division rivals only made it once combined.

Which of these is Hines Ward and which are the two receivers from a division rival that barely got a sniff at the HOF? Also, one of these options took 10 semi-finalist appearances to reach the HOF.

Tgt/yearRec/yrYds/yrY/RTD/yr
i agree, i think the bar has been lowered for the hall of fame in the NFL and in MLB..

he was a really really terrific player for the steelers on some really good teams, put up good numbers over a long career. is widely recognized as the best blocking WR ever but im ok with him not being in the HOF. honestly, a few former steelers really dont belong in there and that probably hurts his chances more than anything..

I always thought Kevin Young got a lot more love than what his talent deserved. Somehow he was getting MVP votes with the same stats as Jeff King.
Ehhhhhh Kevin young has several really good years at the end of the 90’s.

I don’t understand why Ward is defended so much and keeps getting pushed to the HOF when we had more deserving guys from that era that never get talked about.

Casey Hampton was the best nose tackle in the league for a decade and made us the best run defense in the league yet because of the nature of the position he never gets mentioned. He’s absolutely a hall of famer to me.

Other guys like Porter, Aaron smith, Woodley, Harrison, McFadden, Ike, Timmons, Farrior, Marvel Smith, Hartings, big Max, etc. were just as, if not more important to those Super Bowl teams. I’m not saying those guys are HOF worthy, but they were more impactful than Ward.
Look at his numbers.

You seriously think Bryant McFadden was as important to the Steelers are Hines Ward?

A bunch of keyboard jabronis that accomplished zero in sports calling hall of famers and professional athletes overrated. Classic.

Reactions: PITTstorm
Look at his numbers.
I looked and came to the same conclusion. He was very good, but not the “best of the best” which is what the HOF should be and what many like to remember him as. I will still always be appreciative for what he did for Pittsburgh. We could certainly use someone like him now.

His numbers show him to be a very good receiver - not elite .

Nobody had to game plan for him .
Is Steve smith sr and Chad johnson and Derrick Mason hallmof
Famers?
Player A
Regular season: 14,185 yards, 13.4 YPC, 70 TDs
Postseason: 358 yards, 14.3 YPC, 1 TD

Player B
Regular season: 12,083 yards, 12.1 YPC, 85 TDs
Postseason: 1,181 yard, 13.4 YPC, 10 TDs

Player C
Regular season: 11,904 yards, 15.9 YPC, 65 TDs
Postseason: 1,315 yards, 15.1 YPC, 8 TDs

Which, if any, of these receivers should be in the Hall of Fame?

Player A
Regular season: 14,185 yards, 13.4 YPC, 70 TDs
Postseason: 358 yards, 14.3 YPC, 1 TD

Player B
Regular season: 12,083 yards, 12.1 YPC, 85 TDs
Postseason: 1,181 yard, 13.4 YPC, 10 TDs

Player C
Regular season: 11,904 yards, 15.9 YPC, 65 TDs

Which, if any, of these receivers should be in the Hall of Fame?
Depends obviously on the era they played in

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Depends obviously on the era they played in
And how many years and games they played.

Player A - 14 seasons from early 2000s until mid 2010s
Regular season: 193 GP (187 GS) 14,185 yards, 13.4 YPC, 70 TDs
7 seasons with 1,000+ yards
Postseason: 4 GP 358 yards, 14.3 YPC, 1 TD

Player B - 14 seasons primarily during the 2000s
Regular season: 217 GP (190 GS) 12,083 yards, 12.1 YPC, 85 TDs
6 seasons with 1,000+ yards
Postseason: 18 GP 1,181 yard, 13.4 YPC, 10 TDs

Player C - 12 seasons primarily during the 1990s
Regular season: 159 GP (147 GS) 11,904 yards, 15.9 YPC, 65 TDs

C is more impressive then...

Reactions: cbpitt2

Separating season and post season is weird
Career stats are career stats
But player C is the more impressive compared to peers of that era

Separating season and post season is weird
Career stats are career stats
But player C is the more impressive compared to peers of that era
It's almost as though athlete's legacies are often tied to postseason performances. Is Lynn Swann in the Hall of Fame if he didn't have his performances in the playoffs/Super Bowls?

Is Lynn Swann in the Hall of Fame if he didn't have his performances in the playoffs/Super Bowls?
Probably not.
Is Clemente held in the highest regard without his 14 game world series hitting streak, or his .414 average, with home runs in pivotal spots in each of games 6,7, and MVP award in his 2nd (1971) world series, carrying the Pirates to the WC, probably not.
I say rightfully so as the performances in both instances came against the best the leagues had to offer in those years.

Last edited:
Source Pro Football Hall Of Fame

Joe Namath is best remembered for his performance in the New York Jets' stunning 16-7 upset of the heavily favored Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III. During his 13-year tenure from 1965 through 1977, however, he was one of the game's most exciting, proficient and publicized quarterbacks.

Namath's place in history was assured with his first pro football act — the signing of a reported $400,000 contract early in 1965 that gave the American Football League (AFL) its biggest victory in the costly inter-league war of the 1960s. The National Football League’s St. Louis Cardinals also had drafted Namath, who opted for the AFL. “Broadway Joe,” as he quickly became known, won the starting job with the Jets in his third game and finished the 1965 season as the AFL’s Rookie of the Year.

In 1967, he became the first quarterback to throw for more than 4,000 yards in a single-season — a feat that wouldn’t be reached again until Dan Fouts threw for 4,082 yards 12 years later. In 1968, Namath was named the AFL’s Player of the Year and a unanimous All-Pro selection. His performance in the Jets’ win over the Colts in Super Bowl III earned him Super Bowl MVP honors. His pregame “guarantee” and MVP performance were a major factor in assuring the competitive viability of the AFL-NFL Super Bowl series.

Despite being plagued by knee injuries that eventually brought an end to his career, Namath still completed 1,886 passes for 27,663 yards and 173 touchdowns. He ranked Top-three in passing yards six times (1966-69, 1972 and 1974), touchdown passes four times (1967, 1969, 1972 and 1974) and sack-percentage six times (1965-69 and 1972). Namath’s play in Super Bowl III was one of many clutch moments in his career as he led the AFL/NFL in game-winning drives during four different seasons (1966, 1968-69 and 1974).

Namath earned all-league honors four times (1967-69 and 1972) and was an All-AFL/Pro Bowl selection five times (1965, 1967-69 and 1972). He is the only player in pro football history to lead both the AFL (8.2 in 1967) and the NFL (8.7 in 1972) in yards per passing attempt. Namath was the first-team selection at quarterback for the American Football League’s All-Time Team.

No one outside of Pittsburgh even thinks Ward has a snowballs chance of making the Hall. When blocking is a key part of the argument for a WRs candidacy... he's not getting in. There are several clearly better WRs than Ward still waiting to get in, and more to come in the next few years.
What makes them clearly better? Is it making fantastical looking athletic moves? Personally I think griniding and putting up big numbers because you lasted a long time makes a player a valid hall of famer. Andre Johnson made the Hall of Fame, only 62 catches more than Ward, but 15 less TDs, no championships and Ward played on run obsessed teams, so explain why he's better?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT