ADVERTISEMENT

Is it Pickett or QB coaching

Oregon_Panther

Redshirt
Oct 7, 2001
I’m not a Pickett hater, but I think he stares down receivers and isn’t always the most accurate passer, but I wonder if having a better QB coach would help. On the last drive, when it was 2nd and four, Hall should have been given the ball, that’s on Watson...and it puts more pressure on Pickett.

I like Pickett and think he’s a solid, honorable guy, but Watson/Narduzzi are not helping him.

Hail to PITT!
-al-

I think that roll-out in the 3rd quarter where he tried to force it to Hall when he had Lopes 10 yds further downfield wide open w/ his hands waving shows how the kid runs around w/ his head down and has zero vision. He's done.

Under the heat of fire they revert to their norm. With him - it's head down. It would be nearly impossible to fix that even w/ a competent QB coach.

I’m not a Pickett hater, but I think he stares down receivers and isn’t always the most accurate passer, but I wonder if having a better QB coach would help. On the last drive, when it was 2nd and four, Hall should have been given the ball, that’s on Watson...and it puts more pressure on Pickett.

I like Pickett and think he’s a solid, honorable guy, but Watson/Narduzzi are not helping him.

Hail to PITT!
-al-

Probably a unpopular opinion on this board lol. But i havent given up on Pickett yet. Dissapointing? Yes. Really cant argue. BUT....hes a true soph who basically played a half of football before this season. Has some skills, strong arm and can move. I believe the majority of the problem lies in the fact he has, for the most part, no f'n time to throw the ball. Add on a lack of playmakers in the passing game, and has one of the worst offensive coordinators i ever layed eyes on. Well, i can still see a bright future with a better scheme. Just me.

I think that roll-out in the 3rd quarter where he tried to force it to Hall when he had Lopes 10 yds further downfield wide open w/ his hands waving shows how the kid runs around w/ his head down and has zero vision. He's done.

Under the heat of fire they revert to their norm. With him - it's head down. It would be nearly impossible to fix that even w/ a competent QB coach.

Yep...said it in another thread! You nailed it!

I’m not absolving Watson because he play calling and use of skill players stinks but today pocket often had plenty of time and was inaccurate

He also will never find a secondary or third option because he stares down the primary receiver

Sorry the kid is not a leader He doesn’t look confident out there and his body language sucks. I also don’t think he’s a stand up guy. Not once this year has he said he has to get a lot better

Kid might be a hard worker but he awful at the most imprtant position on the field

Hail to PITT!
-al-

Could not agree more with the Watson/Duzz not helping him... its 2nd and short and instead of running it or even RPO/Read (worked well) they try and do some complex passing play for 4 yards. KP would be alot better in a spread offense....part of his talent is running the football taking that away from him makes him a lesser player...

Both. Pickett wasn't going to be a top-tier QB, but he was ruined early in the season. Whatever it is, the scheme didn't work for Pickett and Pitt never adjusted. Now he's damaged goods and I'm not sure he can turn it around.

It’s totally Watson. Pitt had an awesome line and 2 nfl running backs. Every time they went away from running the ball and play action they lost. Every time they stuck to it especially in the 2nd half they won. Watson has a system he wants to run regardless of his personnel. And not only is it now working he’s not recruiting the players for it

This play is exemplifies how this discussion is not as black and white as people want, and the color guy was a moron for railing on about this.

Yes, Pickett is miss some throws, yes he got too rushed or skittish at times. But this play was not "his fault."

The pocket had broken down, Pickett has to spin to his off hand to throw across his body 15 yards deep had someone breathing down his throat and simply just tried to hit the first guy he saw, further, it wasn't like Lopes was WIDE open, he had two steps on the defender, chances Pickett would have been able to get him a decent throw even deeper than the desperate throw he made were negligible, and frankly was more likely to have thrown a pick trying to air in to hi.

This is the post of the year.

This play is exemplifies how this discussion is not as black and white as people want, and the color guy was a moron for railing on about this.

Yes, Pickett is miss some throws, yes he got too rushed or skittish at times. But this play was not "his fault."

The pocket had broken down, Pickett has to spin to his off hand to throw across his body 15 yards deep had someone breathing down his throat and simply just tried to hit the first guy he saw, further, it wasn't like Lopes was WIDE open, he had two steps on the defender, chances Pickett would have been able to get him a decent throw even deeper than the desperate throw he made were negligible, and frankly was more likely to have thrown a pick trying to air in to hi.
Exactly right, he was under pressure. To make tHe deeper throw running for his life would have been extremely difficult.

He did miss some passes today. Seems he always tries t
O throw the ball as hard as he can.

Duzz went Wanny on us early in the game especially playing with the wind and a kicker who could have nailed it from 60 based on his kickoffs against the wind. Tone set for this kind of outcome. That one is on the coach(es). Mack not extending himself to grab a long TD pass is on the player.

Pickett gets crushed because Hall can't block (where is Aston) so they run another play where Hall is required to block the end, Pickett gets run over again. It didn't work one time so let's try it again. Play calling. Other times he runs into sacks. On the QB.

Expectations placed on Pickett based on one game last year were really not fair to the kid. Just about every young first year starter is going to have ups and downs.

His issues aren't really his skill set - he's mobile, has a good arm - as much as intangibles right now. Decision making is really lousy. An off season with a lot of film on himself can help that. Given what was unfolding with the limitations at QB, I think the OC's hands are tied to a large extent. It was becoming obvious that the staff simply didn't have the faith in Pickett putting the ball in the air.

The identity of the team is in the running game and they called plays to that identity. If Ollison is healthy yesterday, I think it's a different outcome.

he stinks. no poise, so inaccurate. Pitt would have been much better this year if they had a running QB with the backs that we had.

And no time to throw. Sure he has had some issues, he is no 5 star elite QBs out of Hs that can come right in with no work. But when given some time he throw a nice long ball to Mack. Again, he is not a full blown stud, but give the kid a break. If he starts next year, it is because he earned it.

Reactions: gary2
After a full season plus, I don't think he has it.

The coaching might not do him many favors, on the surface. Watson has been proven a failure as OC multiple places and this should be no surprise. It was a disappointing hire. But they've actually stood firmly by him this year, maybe to a fault. I honestly don't think it's the coaching. I think it's the player.

But the kid is wrecked and has been since the 2nd half of Albany. I don't know what exactly happened but the light went totally off and is not back on. He is bereft of even the basic fundamentals. Can't even throw a basic slant or out. That's 8th grade QB stuff.

Think of the third quarter when he had to throw a simple dump down to Mack. Mack had some space around him. A simple toss and catch, Mack could take it and make some yards. Picket had no pressure. Easiest play in the world. Instead Pickett wheeled back like he was throwing baseballs to knock bottles off a milk jug at a carnival, and almost took Mack's head off with it. Amazingly the guy caught it, but it ended right there. That play, 15 starts in, showed all you need. Doesn't have it.

After all these weeks and playing frankly some fairly bad defenses (and a couple good ones for sure) the light has not come back on. That signals he just doesn't have it. There should have been improvement by yesterday. He was playing against a very disinterested defense. He had a month to prepare. Again to a fault (winning needs to be paramount), the coaches designed a game plan to put the game in his hands, rather than the team strengths. He failed spectacularly.

The position needs opened. This ship has sailed. Please, not another fruitless Tino situation, that guy never never never got it, three straight seasons that were absolute wastes of time, the laziest coaching decisions ever. Please, something better this time.

Last edited:
After a full season plus, I don't think he has it.

The coaching might not do him many favors, on the surface. Watson has been proven a failure as OC multiple places and this should be no surprise. It was a disappointing hire. But they've actually stood firmly by him this year, maybe to a fault. I honestly don't think it's the coaching. I think it's the player.

But the kid is wrecked and has been since the 2nd half of Albany. I don't know what exactly happened but the light went totally off and is not back on. He is bereft of even the basic fundamentals. Can't even throw a basic slant or out. That's 8th grade QB stuff.

After all these weeks and playing frankly some fairly bad defenses (and a couple good ones for sure) the light has not come back on. That signals he just doesn't have it. There should have been improvement by yesterday. He was playing against a very disinterested defense. He had a month to prepare. Again to a fault (winning needs to be paramount), the coaches designed a game plan to put the game in his hands, rather than the team strengths. He failed spectacularly.

The position needs opened. This ship has sailed. Please, not another fruitless Tino situation, that guy never never never got it and neither will this one.

No doubt it needs to be open and I have no reason to believe that it won’t be open. And NO ONE has any reason to believe that it will be his Job. I believe it is his to lose, which means someone needs to take it from him. If no one can take it, then he out played them and should start. Watson did not call plays to win this game.

Here’s the issue with Pickett

Most young QBs with some upside usually demonstrate those capabilities early on in their career Picket has shown very few flashes where you say to yourself that this kid will clearly be much better with more experience

More importantly the issues he has are not issues that are easily improved

His accuracy is very inconsistent. QBs who are not accurate don’t generally greatly improve with time

His inability to go to second and Third options. He’s been staring down receivers since HS and that has not changed at all His field vision is awful. IMO you either have it or you don’t

He has little pocket presence. He doesn’t step up in the pocket or side step the rush. He almost always turns his back down field to run away from the rush

Duzz will not be here in 21 if Patti or Beville can’t beat him out. Picket is a poor mans Tino

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther

Hail to PITT!
-al-
Both. Average talent with a good attitude. Watson looks like a QB killer to me. Our WRs are not great, but we can't get them the ball.

Both. Average talent with a good attitude. Watson looks like a QB killer to me. Our WRs are not great, but we can't get them the ball.

This. Watson misused Browne (who supposedly had a cannon for an arm) and DiNucci with 5 yard check down swing passes. This seems eerily similar to Pickett with that constant roll out to the right...

Watson and the WR Coach have both done a poor job, IMHO.

Pickett has the skills to be a good college QB; but not with the Watson playbook. Pitt’s offense is too easy to prepare for and our opponents seem to know what’s coming more often than not...

Go Pitt.

Pickett does a good job avoiding the pass rush and running. But it doesnt matter if he isn't accurate. And is that something you can pin on coaching? But I do put some of the blame on them for head scratching play calling that often killed momentum this year.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
Pickett does a good job avoiding the pass rush and running. But it doesnt matter if he isn't accurate. And is that something you can pin on coaching? But I do put some of the blame on them for head scratching play calling that often killed momentum this year.
He tends to run away from pressure by circling backwards more often than trying to find a seam forward. Then he gets caught from behind for a bigger loss. Not really quick enough to pull it off. His arm is strong enough when he gets his feet set, but he is way off target if he's heading left. Some of these things are fixable......which falls on the coaches.
If we get a new OC/QB guy, he should make the position wide open.....no one getting the job based on loyalty. I hope its Kenny, but I'd look long and hard at Beville. We won't be running an RPO set, and Davis is a prototypical pocket passer. (It helps to have a pocket, right?)

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Watson is replaceable to me but I think the problem is 80% Pickett. He is slow in making decisions and consistently makes bad choices. Watson is giving him opportunities to make plays and Pickett is the one making mistakes.
But isn't that why you have a QB coach? To correct bad habits?

Reactions: DiehardPanther
He tends to run away from pressure by circling backwards more often than trying to find a seam forward. Then he gets caught from behind for a bigger loss. Not really quick enough to pull it off. His arm is strong enough when he gets his feet set, but he is way off target if he's heading left. Some of these things are fixable......which falls on the coaches.
If we get a new OC/QB guy, he should make the position wide open.....no one getting the job based on loyalty. I hope its Kenny, but I'd look long and hard at Beville. We won't be running an RPO set, and Davis is a prototypical pocket passer. (It helps to have a pocket, right?)

Agree with your comments on Picket and some of his issues falling on the coaches. Even going through progressions I would argue is a coaching issue. NOt sure how hard it is to have a QB quickly scan several options which Picket never does.

I would disagree that Beville is a pocket passer. The kid looks at least as or more athletic than picket. The difference is when Beville breaks the pocket, he looks to use his athletic ability to pass first and is scanning the field looking for receivers. Picket panicks and generally runs.

Also dont rule out Patti. The kid as the quickest release of all the QBs. He didnt have the benefit of coming in early to learn the play book. With Davis coming in early, Look for a really competitive spring camp at the QB position.

Hail to PITT!
-al-
IMO, there is fault in both the QB and the OC. Watson is simply terrible. He doesn't make adjustments as the game plays out. Way to many wasted plays that have zero chance of working. For instance, we were able to run the ball between the tackles because our OL is built for road-grading. So we continued to try jet sweeps and outside runs that Stanford ate up. You can't run laterally against a defense that can run and with an OL that can't. Stupid wasted downs. Go back and look at our play calls when we were first and goal. Runs on 1st and 2nd down every single time. We gave ourselves no chance. So playcalling and coaching is most definitely a big problem.

That said, Pickett stinks. Yes, I know, he's young blah, blah, blah. Guess what...Trevor Lawrence is younger. Young is an excuse that loses make. I love the kids attitude, but he doesn't have the basic skill set needed to drive a team. First and foremost, he is terribly inaccurate. On those rare occasions that he does get time to throw, he either throws behind guys, throws into the ground, or airmails it. This has nothing to do with being young. High school QB's can make most of these throws. Secondly, he stares down receivers. Finally, he doesn't get through progressions. Either his primary is open, or he starts to get happy feet. BTW - I think there is a side effect to his inability to go to secondary receivers....if you watch Pitt's receivers run their routes when they are not the primary, you'll see a bunch of guys going through the motions. Terrible routes run at half speed. Half the guys on this board can cover someone who's not going full speed. I suspect that part of the reason is that the secondary receivers have zero faith that the ball is ever coming to them.

We clearly need a new OC and a very open QB competition. I'll lay odds that we'll get neither and that next year our offense will make this year look like the greatest show on turf.

Cruzer

Expectations placed on Pickett based on one game last year were really not fair to the kid. Just about every young first year starter is going to have ups and downs.

His issues aren't really his skill set - he's mobile, has a good arm - as much as intangibles right now. Decision making is really lousy. An off season with a lot of film on himself can help that. Given what was unfolding with the limitations at QB, I think the OC's hands are tied to a large extent. It was becoming obvious that the staff simply didn't have the faith in Pickett putting the ball in the air.

The identity of the team is in the running game and they called plays to that identity. If Ollison is healthy yesterday, I think it's a different outcome.
Agree about Ollison, but why didn't Hall play more? Clearly Davis is no better on blitz pick up.

It’s Watson.

Pickett has the ability and is a very good college QB. Watson does not recruit well and he makes poor adjustments. I knew we were in trouble last year and even Pickett’s emergence during the Miami game was not enough.

Watson has lost the team. You will hear more in the next two weeks.

It’s Watson.

Pickett has the ability and is a very good college QB. Watson does not recruit well and he makes poor adjustments. I knew we were in trouble last year and even Pickett’s emergence during the Miami game was not enough.

Watson has lost the team. You will hear more in the next two weeks.

What does Picket do well as a D1 QB

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT