ADVERTISEMENT

Is we bout to be looking for a new AD?

I've been a fan since the 70's. I have watched the last 40 years play out and understand that Pitt can catch lightning in a bottle occasionally, like in '21, but there is no way it can consistently play with big boys. I choose to recognize reality and enjoy my "fandom". I would never want to be a whiner miserable person like you.

I live a great and happy life. I'm as far from a morgue as you can get. You, on the other hand...
your “fandom” doesn’t involve any skin in the game, ie no financial support. You’re not a fan; you’re a sideline agitator and a lodestone to Pitt athletics. You have no standing to criticize any real Pitt supporter’s position on the potential of Pitt’s FB program.

your “fandom” doesn’t involve any skin in the game, ie no financial support. You’re not a fan; you’re a sideline agitator and a lodestone to Pitt athletics. You have no standing to criticize any real Pitt supporter’s position on the potential of Pitt’s FB program.

What's do you perceive to be the potential of Pitt's football program?

What's your theory on why Pitt hasn't landed one single Top 10 recruiting class since the Gottfried era?

You make the mistake of equating money to fandom. They are not related.

You're obviously losing this argument.

Reactions: Las Panteras
You get what you pay for. There is a reason the Top 10 is dominated by the SEC & Big 10.

The days are gone when Pitt can roll out a roster with more talent than half the other teams on its fairly weak schedule.

That isn't going to change until Pitt ups it's NIL game.
Fair enough. But then that raises the question; if you're not going to be competitive with NIL, why pay a coach $6.5M per? Find a young and hungry coach, pay him $2M/year and take the $4.5M you saved and buy a few players.

Says the narcissist, everytime, about everything, in all situations.
It is not my problem. You don't see me on here whining about Pitt's place in college football. I'm fine with where it is. That has nothing to do with narcissism. Its actually the opposite. I don't think you know the meaning of the word.

Anyhow, the problem is owned by the whiners.

Fair enough. But then that raises the question; if you're not going to be competitive with NIL, why pay a coach $6.5M per? Find a young and hungry coach, pay him $2M/year and take the $4.5M you saved and buy a few players.
Schools can't buy players, you idiot.

That claim gets old and is idiotic. What schools have bought players?
Clearly everyone is playing strictly by the rules. This must be true because you've stated it. And I'll repeat again, the ongoing ad hominem attacks would be expected....if you were 12. I disagree with many of the posters on this forum but I generally enjoy the exchange because it remains respectful. You sir, are an exception and that's not something you should be proud of.

Clearly everyone is playing strictly by the rules. This must be true because you've stated it. And I'll repeat again, the ongoing ad hominem attacks would be expected....if you were 12. I disagree with many of the posters on this forum but I generally enjoy the exchange because it remains respectful. You sir, are an exception and that's not something you should be proud of.
So you have no specific schools that bought players despite your claim.

Got it.

I'll feel bad when you call out others for calling me names.

Boosters would have to direct money through the NIL, but I get your point, and I think that's what Syracuse is actually trying to do. (It won't work, although they have a great pickup in Kyle McCord)

Here's the tricky part though... When the NIL started, it probably cost a few hundred thousand to upgrade your roster. Today, it's in the millions. Presently, there is no clear end to the insanity. It's a cultural thing with some fanbases and their top boosters. If Pitt's haven't embraced it yet, I don't see why they would now. Maybe in the future, when there's actual salaries and ground rules. Until then, I think Pitt wonders in the wilderness as a program.

Just my opinion.

So you have no specific schools that bought players despite your claim.

Got it.

I'll feel bad when you call out others for calling me names.
This is my final response since this thread is growing increasingly tedious. There's a tool called ChatGPT. Ask if there have been any schools sanctioned for paying players. You'll get a short list and others could be easily found using google. And that's only the schools that have been caught. The larger point is not what happened in the past, the point is that the rules for NIL are already changing and schools will be allowed to directly pay players. Maybe you didn't hear that news. So the larger point is that Pitt will need to come up with the money to pay players in the future. Paying a coach who produces mediocre results $6.5M a year seems like a waste of money. Use the money to pay the players. That's just my opinion. Others are free to disagree.

And btw, I don't recall ever having called you any names. Furthermore, I can't speak to what others may or may not have called you. For all I know you may have earned your scorn. You reap what you sow.

Assuming one has the means, it’s the essence of fandom…it’s a statement that says what you’re doing is important to me and I want to see you succeed so I will help you achieve that success. Your fandom is empty and meaningless…..your fandom is illusory and purely superficial, just something to pass time! Therefore anything you say can’t be taken seriously!

This is my final response since this thread is growing increasingly tedious. There's a tool called ChatGPT. Ask if there have been any schools sanctioned for paying players. You'll get a short list and others could be easily found using google. And that's only the schools that have been caught. The larger point is not what happened in the past, the point is that the rules for NIL are already changing and schools will be allowed to directly pay players. Maybe you didn't hear that news. So the larger point is that Pitt will need to come up with the money to pay players in the future. Paying a coach who produces mediocre results $6.5M a year seems like a waste of money. Use the money to pay the players. That's just my opinion. Others are free to disagree.

And btw, I don't recall ever having called you any names. Furthermore, I can't speak to what others may or may not have called you. For all I know you may have earned your scorn. You reap what you sow.
I don't use ChatGPT. But let's be clear. You're talking about schools that broke the rules. I guess you're OK with that. I'm not.

I never accused you of calling me names but said I might have earned it from others. You earned it with your idiotic comment.

Assuming one has the means, it’s the essence of fandom…it’s a statement that says what you’re doing is important to me and I want to see you succeed so I will help you achieve that success. Your fandom is empty and meaningless…..your fandom is illusory and purely superficial, just something to pass time! Therefore anything you say can’t be taken seriously!
I already stated that my fandom is entertainment. That doesn't make me less of a fan.

If I can't be taken seriously, I expect that you will stop replying to my posts. That suits me fine as I won't have to keep proving you wrong.

That's your definition. I never miss a Pitt game on TV. I am a Pitt fan of 50 years with 2 degrees from Pitt.
I think a more accurate term is that you are an alumnus. You have invested in Pitt with your time and probably your money. I don’t think there is a requirement to give your money to teenage boys to justify anything.

I think a more accurate term is that you are an alumnus. You have invested in Pitt with your time and probably your money. I don’t think there is a requirement to give your money to teenage boys to justify anything.
I agree with everything you said except the elimination of "fan". I know lots of alumni of schools who couldn't care less about that school's football team and never watch a game. I am both an alumnus and a fan who feels no obligation beyond watching the team.

For many years, I donated to the school when my company matched. I have never given to athletics and never will.

I agree with everything you said except the elimination of "fan". I know lots of alumni of schools who couldn't care less about that school's football team and never watch a game. I am both an alumnus and a fan who feels no obligation beyond watching the team.

For many years, I donated to the school when my company matched. I have never given to athletics and never will.
You don’t actually care either .
Nor do you care about pitt as an institution

No one else is concerned about the OPs lack of ability to use grammar correctly in the thread title. That Pitt education is on high display.

I have been a lifetime Pirates fan. It simply was part of our family's fabric when i was growing up. I consider myself a lifetime fan, even today. I follow the Bucs, 162 times a year.

However, given the leadership of the Pirates, i wont give that son of a bitch a nickel.

But i am still a fan.

And....i would be willing to bet.....a few posters here that are upset about non financial support of Pitt,

Are likely Pirates fans who like me, wont give that assho%le any money.

What's do you perceive to be the potential of Pitt's football program?

What's your theory on why Pitt hasn't landed one single Top 10 recruiting class since the Gottfried era?
Your questions aren't the type that can be answered succinctly. Let me start by saying, I know that there are folks here who don’t buy my view of the world on these subjects but you asked for my opinion, which is based on my long term support of Pitt FB and my observations of Pitt's oversight of FB…so here it goes.

Pitt can be a top 25 FB program if they desire to be one. Pitt FB has been on “ snooze” status for 40 years and muddled along just happy to go through the motions. The commitment has been lukewarm. And legions of current and former financial supporters know this. Pitt fans aren’t cheap, as some like to contend…they’re smart, been badly burned in the past and know what genuine commitment to FB looks like, and won’t completely buy in financially until Pitt makes a “ statement” in FB that reflects genuine commitment. They made such a statement in 1973 when they hired a HC who was the hottest young coaching commodity in the market, refurbished Pitt stadium and funded 85 FB scholarships in a single year. From 1982 onward, Pitt's commitment to FB has severely waivered, and Pitt has had a penchant for ignoring what their financial backers tell them. The VH project is just the latest example of Pitt being tone deaf. The attitude has been: “ give us your money and we’ll do with it what we please because we know best.” “Burn me once, shame on you, burn me multiple times, shame on me.” Pitt’s approach to fund raising the last 40 years is a recipe for failure. Pitt's message on commitment to FB has been both ambivalent and ambiguous and that kind of message undercuts fund raising.

Commitment starts with the facilities and the HC both of which give you credibility with your supporters and nationally. In every coaching search over the last 40 years Pitt has set a bargain basement budget that ensures the hire will be a “no name” that shouts “ business as usual”. Playing in an oversized off campus stadium delivers the same message. Yet they can commit $300 M to build a volleyball court and waste millions of dollars on contract buyouts of failed coaches? in sum, in my opinion, Pitt can be a top 25 program if they want that but their overall steategy and tactics need to be aligned with this goal in mind.

I’ll end this part of the discussion on the relationship between commitment and fund raising with this thought…how would you like to be a deep pockets financial supporter who Pitt contacts to assist paying off the contract of a fired coach who you opposed to being hired in the first place? This has happened multiple times…great way to make friends and influence people! Just a great way to show supporters that you can be a trusted steward with their money. If we saw the amount of money Pitt has spent on contract buyouts and the money left on the table through lost revenue, it would shock the conscience. Clear, credible commitment and effective management are the only factors which will jolt fund raising given the events over the last 40 years.

Recruiting has suffered over the last 40 years for a deadly mixture of reasons: lousy HCs, lousy facilities, academic policies that hinder recruiting; myopic capital expenditure decisions and unrealistic budgetary constraints. At the end of the day, it all comes back to the level of Pitt’s commitment. Money talks today as loudly as it did when Pitt FB was resurrected from the dead 40 years ago, and unlike the opinion of some, this is what gives me hope because I believe IF Pitt were committed, the support would follow. The fate of Pitt's potential rests with Pitt in the first instance.

None of what you "have" proves your claim, though.

It is a myth.
Nor does your claim -
We know he went with the team to Italy . He was at practice
He was expected to be reinstated by the coach .
Then he wasn’t .

I would have preferred to cut bait from him when he pled .
But the only change to the circumstances was a change at Chancellor .

I have been a lifetime Pirates fan. It simply was part of our family's fabric when i was growing up. I consider myself a lifetime fan, even today. I follow the Bucs, 162 times a year.

However, given the leadership of the Pirates, i wont give that son of a bitch a nickel.

But i am still a fan.

And....i would be willing to bet.....a few posters here that are upset about non financial support of Pitt,

Are likely Pirates fans who like me, wont give that assho%le any money.
I also was a lifelong Pirates fan. I went to bed at night as kid with the game on the radio listening to Bob Prince. I continued to be a fan when I moved away from Pittsburgh and would occasionally go to a game when back in town.

But I no longer care about MLB and haven't for many years. It started when it became obvious that there was such a disparity between teams and the Pirates were a farm team for the big spenders.

Nor does your claim -
We know he went with the team to Italy . He was at practice
He was expected to be reinstated by the coach .
Then he wasn’t .

I would have preferred to cut bait from him when he pled .
But the only change to the circumstances was a change at Chancellor .
So you got nothing. As I already knew.

I’ll end this part of the discussion on the relationship between commitment and fund raising with this thought…how would you like to be a deep pockets financial supporter who Pitt contacts to assist paying off the contract of a fired coach who you opposed to being hired in the first place? This has happened multiple times…great way to make friends and influence people! Just a great way to show supporters that you can be a trusted steward with their money. If we saw the amount of money Pitt has spent on contract buyouts and the money left on the table through lost revenue, it would shock the conscience.
Which coaches has Pitt fired in the past 10 years? Stallings and women's basketball coach I know for sure, but who else? I agree that Pitt's way of handling it is much less than ideal, but how many times has it happened lately (i.e., under Lyke)? Pitt hasn't fired a football coach since Wanny and current college freshmen were 4 years old when that occurred. Heywood also occurred in 2010 although I'm wondering did Pitt pay him, or did we successfully argue he breached the contract?

How about we peacably assemble and cheer for our panthers and try to put our differences aside? The world is too divisive as it is. Peace, brothers. Whether an alum or a fan otherwise, let's accept our differences and be kind to each other. Thanks for supporting the Panthers.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT